Is this rude, or am I just exaggerating the issue

Options

Replies

• AshZie
    AshZie Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    A woman sat in the seat right next to my boyfriend when we were in a virtually empty movie theater. It was the strangest thing ever. We got up and moved and she apologized for making us uncomfortable...uhhh YEAH!
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I have machines I prefer and will get on them regardless of whatever. I wouldn't notice if it was next to the only occupied machine. I try to ignore everyone else at the gym.

But there was this one time ... there are 3 ellipticals in a row. 2 of them were in use, so I got on the one in the middle. Not my preferred one, but whatever. Then the two people on the sides of me left. And two women came in together, and they hopped on the ellipticals on either side of me, and then started conversing. Loudly. Yelling across my face to each other. So freaking rude. I stopped and said to one of them, "We're switching spots". Which is maybe what they wanted, but geez, they could have just asked.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Having grown up in NYC and commuting into the city for work everyday, I learned to zone all that stuff out. A person would have to be on fire for me to even look up. I can understand someone preferring more space but no one has a right to more than the machine they are on or the seat they are sitting in. People at gyms might smell like smoke or worse. They might yell or curse like sailors. Some sweat all over machines and don't wipe them off. If you don't like it, get your own equipment and work out at home. It comes with the territory. If that's not feasible, just gotta suck it up. I do both. There are pros and cons to both.

My old boss was a chain smoker and had all kinds of health issues as a result. I'm sure he's dead by now... anyway, I recall that his sinuses were all fouled up and he couldn't smell anything. So I'm sure she doesn't realize she smelled so offensively. And furthermore, if she is a smoker (with all that goes along with being one) she probably doesn't even care. I admit I don't like smokers; I won't even lie. But it has nothing to do with being territorial. I just think smoking is lame.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    karyabc wrote: »
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    karyabc wrote: »
    :o wait what!?? i just really?? smoking while on the gym plus using a machine? oh god i must sound so silly but i have ever ever seeing that and i didn't think that was possible, i don't know i would be so upset and in shock i suppose although i live outside the U.S so i'll assume that it's consider quite normal there.

ps: to the OP above :( of course everyone should respect other people choices BUT my grandma die of lung cancer, she smoke her whole life and when she got to her 50 or 60 she quit.. 15 years later ---) lung cancer, love her and miss her like hell but boy that was a selfish adult decision she did

Reading is funde.....Oh never mind.

hi! can you explain your post? i didn't get it, english it's not my primary lenguage and basically everything i know was learn from watching friends/everybody loves Raymond, so i miss a lot of fun post because of it
    Ignore it. It's probably some jab at your English, though why it references reading, I have no idea.

Good job on your English. Post away. It's against the rules to correct others on language issues. :)

it's not a jab at their ESL. the OP said the other person smell of smoke, not that they were smoking while on the equipment. that's what he was taking a cheap shot at.
    So she's not taking a jab at her English skills, just her English reading skills. Got it. :\

exactly. so it's rude, but not the hate crime you may have wanted to paint it as.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    People are creatures of habit. Maybe that's the machine she ALWAYS shoots for first if it's open. Same thing happens in class settings. Or maybe there was something on the TV in front of you two that she'd rather watch.
    I just have to agree that if it's a public space, people have the option to go where they want. Whether or not people will agree or not, doesn't matter to the people who are going to do it anyway. So it's a good rant, but probably won't change a thing.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Didn't read the others, but, this. I can comfortably use any machine at my current gym, but I had a favorite treadmill at another one, because it was right under the fan.

I don't love it when someone takes a space immediately next to me if there are other options, but I don't really care, either.

As for the smoke thing, I highly doubt she was a) aware of her own smell or b) aware of your allergies. Most people hate the smell of smoke, but fewer have allergic reactions, and even fewer have those reactions when a cigarette is not actively lit near them.
  • KatieAlexx
    KatieAlexx Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Like you said, smokers don't always realize that they smell. In fact, the woman might have thought that YOU were being rude by moving elsewhere to complete your workout. That being said, I don't think you're overreacting. I HATE when there is a full, empty gym and somebody decides they have to more or less work out in my lap. I understand needing space anyway, but especially with the reasons you've given.
  • lakhena
    lakhena Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I am sympathetic to the OP, as I, too, have allergies that can set me off unexpectedly (i.e. I fainted at a crowded music concert once, in the middle of the dance floor, due to an allergic reaction), but that's why I carry my meds everywhere I go. It's my responsibility to take care of myself and remove myself from situations that are potentially hazardous to my health. It can be annoying at times, but I value my comfort and being alive, enough to deal with it ;)

Honestly, I never realized it was such an issue for some people that others take machines next to them in a gym. I actually like when someone gets on a machine next to me, as it usually means I'll try to keep pace or go faster (if possible).

Regardless, I think I tend to side with those who have said that you're really not entitled to more than your share of the public space you're in -- which would be one machine in a gym or one seat in a theatre.

The only time I've been annoyed when someone sat next to me was when I was trying to work in a coffee shop and two grown women decided to occupy my couch and make out like teenagers in a back alley. It would have been okay if they could have been a little more quiet and not flailing their arms and legs about and endangering my much-needed morning mocha.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    ugh, smelly people.

I work in the video games industry... you'd think I can handle smelly people now. Nope. Cigarette smokers get the least leeway from me.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    In a public area your personal space is limited to that immediately around you.
    Smoking is a legal activity.
    A person can smell how they please ( hence the obnoxious perfume industry)
    It is up to the individual being offended to resolve their issue.
    The OP did the right thing to move herself into her own comfort zone.
    Cheers, h.
  • duckykissy
    duckykissy Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I totally get where you're coming from. I'm painfully allergic to fragrances and am an asthmatic on top of it. I have to bring a mask and benedryl to do anything in public because people leave trails of perfume/cologne. As much as I moan about "seriously can't people smell themselves?", "your scent should be discovered not ANNOUNCED!" (I feel like some people's scents scream out into the air around them, it's horrible) people can smell how they want to. Unfortunately, I just avoid places where there's a lot of ladies and go to the gym right before close/try to do most of my exercise at home. What else can you really do?
  • IronPhyllida
    IronPhyllida Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I can see that it's annoying that she started training on the treadmill next to you, but it happens so I'd suggest you get around it. If she started running on your treadmill, now that would be funny. On another note re the smoking, smokers I believe are immune to their own smell (ie I'm assuming you don't notice how much you smell as you're used to it). If you are sensitive to it, then unfortunately this is your problem, not theirs.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I always try to skip a machine if I can help it. Not only do I like to have my personal space but it can get hot quickly when I get packed in between two people.

Strong smells make it worse. Not to be indelicate but if you plan to breath heavy for half an hour to two hours maybe consider brushing your teeth or at least chewing some gum first?

• lawlifehanna
    lawlifehanna Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I completely get it, I would have probably moved to a different machine as well. That being said, I wouldn't go as far as to call it rude. It's just very annoying, but so are many things people do.

I can't stand cigarette smell either. I used to work in a store, and a regular customer smelled so badly of cigarettes and alcohol, I couldn't breath near him. I would always have to leave the areas he visited (lucky for me, he always bought the same things so I knew which aisles to avoid) and go do something else, and let my co-workers serve him.
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I agree completely, I always aim for a machine that is not close to anyone. A few weeks back this older man decided to climb up on the one beside me and he wreaked before starting. At first I tried to ignore the smell but the smell got worse as the minutes ticked by and they started to come in waves. I stopped my workout and changed machines making sure there was at least a minimal of three machines between us.
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    [/quoteOk, NOW you're being overly dramatic.
    Yes, what she did was mildly annoying. I'm sure she didn't realize that the faintest whiff of cigarettes would put you in the morgue.
    [/quote]
    +1
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I personally would avoid using a machine next to someone if another one was open. As a smoker and an adult it is my decision to smoke, just like some people choose to overload on spray and that God awful Axe stuff. I'm not oblivious to the fact I smell like a smoker, but it's my choice, so in public I could really give two *kitten* whether someone is bothered or not. I've quit every time I was pregnant and nursing but I always start back up because I want to. I know all the risks and have seen the negative effects of smoking due to the complications my grandfather had from being a life long smoker. I worked in the healthcare field for eight years and I've done my research. It's something that I enjoy and when I stop enjoying it I'll quit. I'm not one to get in someone's personal space anyway if I don't have to. I choose not to smoke in my house and I also am respectful of other's rules on smoking. I don't smoke in public places unless it is a designated zone. Not all smokers are horrible people, they just smell like smokers, which obviously offends tons of people on here. I hate the smell of alcohol and beer and I choose not to drink anymore but I don't chastise anyone who smells like it. God forbid an adult makes their own decisions that doesn't agree with everyone.

Wow. You read way too much into the entire post.

Oh, and just because you're not in ones "personal space" doesn't mean that stale smell of smoke that is emanating from you goes away. Also, I don't think that the smell of smoke offends "tons of people on here. Pretty sure it offends a lot of people.

• dbmata
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I think in this case, it's a fire v fire matter.

Keep a rind of the ol limburger. Or that hippy favorite, patchouli for jokers like ol smokey. When they hop on to gallumph about next to you, smelling like the butt end of an ash tray. Rub some of that revenge perfume on, and go to work.

If they move. Follow them to another machine.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    you paid for the right to use one machine. they paid for the right to use one machine. you don't get to dictate which machine they exercise that right upon. they can't use yours.....and that's it. everything else is fair game. you don't get to get the screen showing Wheel of Fortune and force everyone else to other side of the room to watch CNBC while they whittle away an hour on a deathmill.

feel free to run outside if you want to be alone

You totally missed where I have asthma and cannot breathe when one of my triggers is present..it had nothing to do with being alone it had everything to do with her smell flared up my asthma, and I couldn't really breathe.
    But there are people that smoke that will go to the gym. I smoked for 20 years before quitting. You can't dictate to people that they can't smoke before coming into the gym.
    Again, people are creatures of habit. Maybe that's her favorite treadmill.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    That is so gross. I would've been offended - enough to move to another treadmill. Maybe it's not worth the conversation out loud, but maybe discussing to club staff and moving away from her would be good moves. Sorry to hear about that. Yuck!
    So if someone reeks of body odor and you're offended by it then good to discuss that with the club staff too? People do smell when they work out you know.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• dbmata
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    That is so gross. I would've been offended - enough to move to another treadmill. Maybe it's not worth the conversation out loud, but maybe discussing to club staff and moving away from her would be good moves. Sorry to hear about that. Yuck!
    So if someone reeks of body odor and you're offended by it then good to discuss that with the club staff too? People do smell when they work out you know.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

lol... but that might mess up their hair if they're going so hard they're sweating.