Paleo??

Options

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    dpaden25 wrote: »
    Anyone have any feelings on eating Paleo? I've been searching online and getting mixed reviews.. I can get used to getting rid of processed but greens?!? Or any beans?!? Friend me:) I'm always looking for and love giving support!!

It's a good way to drive away your friends and family, if that's your goal.
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    CloudyMao wrote: »
    What to eat on Paleo (taken from ultimate Paleo Guide)

* Grass-fed meats
    * Fish/seafood
    * Fresh fruits
    * Fresh vegetables
    * Eggs
    * Nuts
    * Seeds
    * Healthy oils (olive, walnut, flaxseed, macadamia, avocado, coconut)

See that all sounds wonderful, but no dairy, no potatoes, no grains or refined sugars of any sort. :(

Thats pretty near to my diet, due to having IBS I have to be low FODMAP. I might check out some of the paleo sites for recipes. If it wasn't for my health condition though nothing would separate me from my first love.. ice cream.
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    It's a good way to drive away your friends and family, if that's your goal.

Quite the contrary, my family and friends love trying out the new recipes and are very excited to get an invite to an "experiment." The other night, six of us went to a Paleo restaurant, very trendy, extremely popular beachside place - their choice not mine and one chap is a wheat farmers. lol Everyone loved it and why not, the food was great.
  • dpaden25
    dpaden25 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Anyone have any feelings on eating Paleo? I've been searching online and getting mixed reviews.. I can get used to getting rid of processed but greens?!? Or any beans?!? Friend me:) I'm always looking for and love giving support!!

Why not just eat a well rounded and balanced diet consisting primarily of nutrient dense whole foods and meals prepared from scratch, whole ingredients. I don't know why there has to be a diet and I really, any diet that actually demonizes whole foods (i.e. legumes) is absurd IMO.

I'm beginning to think the same .. Eat well and in portions! Not sure about giving up legumes!! I thought as long as it grew in the ground or on a tree its as good as it gets!

dpaden, and there is nothing wrong with that thinking. Watch your calorie intake, exercise and eat healthy food. :)

Paleo suits me as I needed to get rid of grains.

And that's where I'm torn.. b/c I've read of some benefits from ridding the body of grains from other users that's amazing!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    totally unnecessary for weight loss.

and if you look around everyone has their own "version" of it…and lets be honest, you are really NOT eating like a caveman so the whole concept is just moronic..

oh and like Sidesteel said, way too restrictive..

eat the foods you like and maintain a calorie deficit…

• ndj1979
    Options
    I kinda think it's a fad diet. Just eat at a healthy deficit and you'll lose ;)

Some people don't eat Paleo to lose weight, so they wouldn't have need for a deficit. I don't think it's a fad at all, some people do not like to consume "processed" foods; I would say it's got a lot more attention recently with popularity, but it's been around a long time | kind of like keto.

define "processed"….every food we eat is processed in some manner...
  • dpaden25
    dpaden25 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

and if you look around everyone has their own "version" of it…and lets be honest, you are really NOT eating like a caveman so the whole concept is just moronic..

Thanks! That's what I'm thinking! I not sure I can be that restricted with anything. It's just that those that are actually Paleo, PRAISE the change they've seen with removing carb/wheat from the diet.
  • ndj1979
    Options

* Grass-fed meats
    * Fish/seafood
    * Fresh fruits
    * Fresh vegetables
    * Eggs
    * Nuts
    * Seeds

See that all sounds wonderful, but no dairy, no potatoes, no grains or refined sugars of any sort. :(

I'm totally with you on the potatoes. I'm not sure how that or dairy would work.. can one really 'train' cravings? I've had friends with some success

how the hell did caveman make olive oil and fish????
  • ndj1979
    Options

Thanks! That's what I'm thinking! I not sure I can be that restricted with anything. It's just that those that are actually Paleo, PRAISE the change they've seen with removing carb/wheat from the diet.

paleo seems to inspire an almost religious/cult like following…..
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options

I personally don't get hung up on the whole caveman approach and use Paleo as a guide. Once you get away from what you can't eat and concentrate on what you can eat then you really don't find it too restrictive. My aim is to rid my diet of wheat and added sugars because I know I personally feel so much better without them.

I never feel deprived. I had a vegetable and fruit smoothie for breakfast, grilled fish and salad for lunch at a local pub and beef and vegetable stir fry for dinner. My only exclusion all day was bread and I didn't miss it.

Yes, people do praise the change they see when removing carbs/wheat from their diets. The stories are endless but I can only go on my own experiences and I wish I had done it years ago. No more bloating, foggy mind and terrible, terrible painful stomach cramps.

These are the foods I enjoy eating that suit my body but to lose weight you still have to maintain a calorie deficit.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Why not just eat a well rounded and balanced diet consisting primarily of nutrient dense whole foods and meals prepared from scratch, whole ingredients. I don't know why there has to be a diet and I really, any diet that actually demonizes whole foods (i.e. legumes) is absurd IMO.

I'm beginning to think the same .. Eat well and in portions! Not sure about giving up legumes!! I thought as long as it grew in the ground or on a tree its as good as it gets!

dpaden, and there is nothing wrong with that thinking. Watch your calorie intake, exercise and eat healthy food. :)

Paleo suits me as I needed to get rid of grains.

And that's where I'm torn.. b/c I've read of some benefits from ridding the body of grains from other users that's amazing!

It's called "auto suggestion".
  • cbills65
    cbills65 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I've done Paleo and but had to modify recently due to being able to lift. Paleo is very restrictive but if you take the basics and tweak it to work for your lifestyle it's doable. You have to stick to the idea that processed foods are out. No fast food, nothing that comes in a box in the freezer aisle at the market. You eat all the fresh fruite and veggies you want and lean meats. There's plenty of food to choose from and some great receipes on Paleo Leap. The problem I ran into was that it was hard for me to eat 1200 calories (minimum on MFP) because the food I ate was so low in calories. You have to eat a ton of broccoli and cauliflower to try to bump up your intake so that was a struggle for me. I will say I lost weight and felt AMAZING! When my body adapted to the clean eating I felt better than I have in my entire life. My energy level was great and I felt healthy. I lost 12 lbs in the first 8 weeks. I had to change my trajectory because I started Body Beast and lifting requires carbs to fuel the workout. But I have taken the things I love about paleo and have kept those while carefully easing in what I need to fuel my lifting. Depending on your goals, you may find paleo to be perfect for you. If nothing else, you will feel better physically. That's what keeps paleo people all in. You can't beat how your body feels without the chemicals etc in processed food. But simply eating clean will do that for you. Paleo is a great guide for eating clean. Realize there are extremists out there who will raise and kill their own "food" and literally live like cavemen. For most of us it's more about things like buying fresh veggies instead of canned or frozen and meat that hasn't been raised with steriods and antibiotics.That's easy to find most anywhere. Hope this helped.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    In the Stone Age, the average life expectancy was around 20 years.

Even if it were possible to approximate a paleo diet (it's not), why on earth would you want to?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    cbills65 wrote: »
    I've done Paleo and but had to modify recently due to being able to lift. Paleo is very restrictive but if you take the basics and tweak it to work for your lifestyle it's doable. You have to stick to the idea that processed foods are out. No fast food, nothing that comes in a box in the freezer aisle at the market. You eat all the fresh fruite and veggies you want and lean meats. There's plenty of food to choose from and some great receipes on Paleo Leap. The problem I ran into was that it was hard for me to eat 1200 calories (minimum on MFP) because the food I ate was so low in calories. You have to eat a ton of broccoli and cauliflower to try to bump up your intake so that was a struggle for me. I will say I lost weight and felt AMAZING! When my body adapted to the clean eating I felt better than I have in my entire life. My energy level was great and I felt healthy. I lost 12 lbs in the first 8 weeks. I had to change my trajectory because I started Body Beast and lifting requires carbs to fuel the workout. But I have taken the things I love about paleo and have kept those while carefully easing in what I need to fuel my lifting. Depending on your goals, you may find paleo to be perfect for you. If nothing else, you will feel better physically. That's what keeps paleo people all in. You can't beat how your body feels without the chemicals etc in processed food. But simply eating clean will do that for you. Paleo is a great guide for eating clean. Realize there are extremists out there who will raise and kill their own "food" and literally live like cavemen. For most of us it's more about things like buying fresh veggies instead of canned or frozen and meat that hasn't been raised with steriods and antibiotics.That's easy to find most anywhere. Hope this helped.

so much that I could say ...

your lost weight because you created a calorie deficit..

you felt great because I don't know, maybe you just felt great.

There are chemicals in all food..

and pretty much everything is processed in one form or another...even that "antibiotic/steroid free" meat...
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    You can't eat fruit either, can you? That would put me off of paleo

Fruit is totally paleo, but potatoes aren't nor peanuts. :(

Not true... some paleos are on the potato bandwagon now.
  • sweetdixie92
    sweetdixie92 Posts: 655 Member
    Options

* Grass-fed meats
    * Fish/seafood
    * Fresh fruits
    * Fresh vegetables
    * Eggs
    * Nuts
    * Seeds

Thanks for the quick overview! I was gonna look into Paleo some...but after seeing the "do not eat" list...I'll skip!

I could deal with the foods they allow, but add in lower fat dairy, potatoes and whole grains. I'm not a huge potato eater...but vegetable soup without potatoes?! That's criminal!
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I live in an area where the Crossfit/Paleo thing has gotten very, very trendy. Good for those who enjoy it, but I will say that there are many adherents who are so cultish and judgy to anything else that it's a real turnoff. And, honestly, the alleged theory behind it ("eat like a caveman, because we can write anthropological fanfiction and guess what they ate! Stuff like chocolate covered bacon, probably!") is absurd.

On the plus side, I think it's good that they encourage increasing fresh whole foods. I like that my CSA has extra pick-your-own green beans because the cultists avoid them. I like that my local small farms are finding it financially beneficial to raise cattle and poultry for the "grass fed only" people, because I feel that the livestock is treated far more humanely than on factory farms.

And, now I realize...I should also be checking out some Paleo blogs for recipies...because since I started lifting I notice that I'm having trouble getting the protein in that I need to fully transform myself into She-Hulk. ;) So, there's that.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    I live in an area where the Crossfit/Paleo thing has gotten very, very trendy. Good for those who enjoy it, but I will say that there are many adherents who are so cultish and judgy to anything else that it's a real turnoff. And, honestly, the alleged theory behind it ("eat like a caveman, because we can write anthropological fanfiction and guess what they ate! Stuff like chocolate covered bacon, probably!") is absurd.

On the plus side, I think it's good that they encourage increasing fresh whole foods. I like that my CSA has extra pick-your-own green beans because the cultists avoid them. I like that my local small farms are finding it financially beneficial to raise cattle and poultry for the "grass fed only" people, because I feel that the livestock is treated far more humanely than on factory farms.

And, now I realize...I should also be checking out some Paleo blogs for recipies...because since I started lifting I notice that I'm having trouble getting the protein in that I need to fully transform myself into She-Hulk. ;) So, there's that.

eat more chicken ...no need to look up a paleo recipe..
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options

eat more chicken ...no need to look up a paleo recipe..

Oh, I have been. I poached a giant family size tray of chicken breasts and portioned it out into snack size ziplocks, which I keep in the fridge and freezer for lifting days. I also drink kefir immediately post workout and eat Icelandic Yogurt for snacks on lifting days. I keep shrimp on hand, too, for those "I'm 20 grams short but close to my calorie goal" emergencies.

I'm a mom with a family to feed, though. And they somehow don't think a baggie of chicken counts as a meal. The ingrates. ;) Just thought some Paleo sites might have something new to cook that will appease at least 4 out of 5 of us. (My vegetarian teen would likely not find much in Paleo that she'd eat, though!)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I've been following the diet for approximately 5 months and have lost approximately 25 lbs. I like it because there is no logging, measuring, weighing, etc. I find it really easy and feel a lot better. However, there are different levels to it. I have cheese occasionally, I eat a little rice and drink a beer now and then. You don't have to be 'all or nothing' to be successful at it. Also, fruit is okay and even potatoes (sweet and white, although sweet is preferred due to the nutrient density). If you want to lose weight, you may want to keep track of carb levels, so you would limit those items, but they're not forbidden.

I was a little stricter for the first 6 weeks, then added some things back in. I still lost weight, even over the holidays when I kind of didn't worry about it too much. I think my metabolism improved overall.

Paleo is low carb & around 100g or less per day if I recall (it's been over two years since I looked into it) It's VERY easy to eat that low carb when eating (only) whole fresh foods. That's why people on paleo so often end up slipping into ketosis.

One of the slightly irritating things about something like "paleo" is there's no real definition. I read up on it and tried it a little, and have talked to people who do it, and from that potatoes were fine (although not as prized as sweet potatoes, which--with coconut oil--are rather over-praised, although I do like them and eat them often). Also, based on at least some of the information available it's not supposed to be a low carb lifestyle, although obviously some people do both and plenty of people say that if you want to lose weight on paleo that you should reduce carbs too. Even when researching it and getting that information, though, I always suspected that it would work basically like a low carb diet, as most people probably do go accidently low carb if you cut out all grains and legumes and added sugar. On the other hand, plenty of people also seem to do a silly form of paleo (if you don't just think it's all silly) where they create all these paleo versions of muffins and so on.

For the OP, like others have said, if you think the paleo restrictions would be annoying to you and you aren't especially drawn to it for other reasons, I'd just incorporate the stuff you like. Some of it is pretty similar to things that appeal to me and that I do anyway (and thus which aren't really "paleo" in any particular way), whereas other things--like cutting out or even cutting down on dairy and legumes--I can't really get on board with, at least not for me. Also, just as a personal preference I tend to usually like thinking of food in terms of the foods I want to emphasize rather than foods being off limits (although I've been known to decide I'm giving up something for a period if it helps me focus on other foods).