Paleo??

Options

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    CloudyMao wrote: »
    I've been following the diet for approximately 5 months and have lost approximately 25 lbs. I like it because there is no logging, measuring, weighing, etc. I find it really easy and feel a lot better. However, there are different levels to it. I have cheese occasionally, I eat a little rice and drink a beer now and then. You don't have to be 'all or nothing' to be successful at it. Also, fruit is okay and even potatoes (sweet and white, although sweet is preferred due to the nutrient density). If you want to lose weight, you may want to keep track of carb levels, so you would limit those items, but they're not forbidden.

I was a little stricter for the first 6 weeks, then added some things back in. I still lost weight, even over the holidays when I kind of didn't worry about it too much. I think my metabolism improved overall.

Paleo is low carb & around 100g or less per day if I recall (it's been over two years since I looked into it) It's VERY easy to eat that low carb when eating (only) whole fresh foods. That's why people on paleo so often end up slipping into ketosis.

One of the slightly irritating things about something like "paleo" is there's no real definition. I read up on it and tried it a little, and have talked to people who do it, and from that potatoes were fine (although not as prized as sweet potatoes, which--with coconut oil--are rather over-praised, although I do like them and eat them often). Also, based on at least some of the information available it's not supposed to be a low carb lifestyle, although obviously some people do both and plenty of people say that if you want to lose weight on paleo that you should reduce carbs too. Even when researching it and getting that information, though, I always suspected that it would work basically like a low carb diet, as most people probably do go accidently low carb if you cut out all grains and legumes and added sugar. On the other hand, plenty of people also seem to do a silly form of paleo (if you don't just think it's all silly) where they create all these paleo versions of muffins and so on.

For the OP, like others have said, if you think the paleo restrictions would be annoying to you and you aren't especially drawn to it for other reasons, I'd just incorporate the stuff you like. Some of it is pretty similar to things that appeal to me and that I do anyway (and thus which aren't really "paleo" in any particular way), whereas other things--like cutting out or even cutting down on dairy and legumes--I can't really get on board with, at least not for me. Also, just as a personal preference I tend to usually like thinking of food in terms of the foods I want to emphasize rather than foods being off limits (although I've been known to decide I'm giving up something for a period if it helps me focus on other foods).

^^^This is a great summery...

• disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    I've been following the diet for approximately 5 months and have lost approximately 25 lbs. I like it because there is no logging, measuring, weighing, etc. I find it really easy and feel a lot better. However, there are different levels to it. I have cheese occasionally, I eat a little rice and drink a beer now and then. You don't have to be 'all or nothing' to be successful at it. Also, fruit is okay and even potatoes (sweet and white, although sweet is preferred due to the nutrient density). If you want to lose weight, you may want to keep track of carb levels, so you would limit those items, but they're not forbidden.

I was a little stricter for the first 6 weeks, then added some things back in. I still lost weight, even over the holidays when I kind of didn't worry about it too much. I think my metabolism improved overall.

Paleo is low carb & around 100g or less per day if I recall (it's been over two years since I looked into it) It's VERY easy to eat that low carb when eating (only) whole fresh foods. That's why people on paleo so often end up slipping into ketosis.

One of the slightly irritating things about something like "paleo" is there's no real definition. I read up on it and tried it a little, and have talked to people who do it, and from that potatoes were fine (although not as prized as sweet potatoes, which--with coconut oil--are rather over-praised, although I do like them and eat them often). Also, based on at least some of the information available it's not supposed to be a low carb lifestyle, although obviously some people do both and plenty of people say that if you want to lose weight on paleo that you should reduce carbs too. Even when researching it and getting that information, though, I always suspected that it would work basically like a low carb diet, as most people probably do go accidently low carb if you cut out all grains and legumes and added sugar. On the other hand, plenty of people also seem to do a silly form of paleo (if you don't just think it's all silly) where they create all these paleo versions of muffins and so on.

For the OP, like others have said, if you think the paleo restrictions would be annoying to you and you aren't especially drawn to it for other reasons, I'd just incorporate the stuff you like. Some of it is pretty similar to things that appeal to me and that I do anyway (and thus which aren't really "paleo" in any particular way), whereas other things--like cutting out or even cutting down on dairy and legumes--I can't really get on board with, at least not for me. Also, just as a personal preference I tend to usually like thinking of food in terms of the foods I want to emphasize rather than foods being off limits (although I've been known to decide I'm giving up something for a period if it helps me focus on other foods).

^^^This is a great summery...

^^^ I second that! Using Paleo diet for inspiration is something I can do but it's far too restrictive for me and I don't buy the caveman story.
  • CloudyMao
    CloudyMao Posts: 258 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I kinda think it's a fad diet. Just eat at a healthy deficit and you'll lose ;)

Some people don't eat Paleo to lose weight, so they wouldn't have need for a deficit. I don't think it's a fad at all, some people do not like to consume "processed" foods; I would say it's got a lot more attention recently with popularity, but it's been around a long time | kind of like keto.

define "processed"….every food we eat is processed in some manner...

Every fkin time with this term, what do you think the quote marks are for, like I say every single time I use this term which I hate so fkin much - cooking is a process, cutting is a process, even picking the plant or killing the animal is a process, im not the one who coined it - which is why I use the quote marks. I don't see how that isn't obvious; and you know exactly what it means there's no need to be so pedantic, that goes for everyone who tries to pull this bs.

I mean for christ sake it's even in this exact thread:
    DjinnMarie wrote: »

Some people don't eat Paleo to lose weight, so they wouldn't have need for a deficit. I don't think it's a fad at all, some people do not like to consume "processed" foods

Technically a mixed salad is considered "processed" foods.

I'm on board with tossing out refined foods and overly processed foods. But no cheese and no whole grains? Screw that noise.

Yeah that's why I threw those quotes in, whenever someone points that out I'm like "cooking" "cutting" "washing" I hate that term.

Give up cheese? you're having a giggle mate. I'm lactoseintolerant & that still is not happening. Gimmie dat sweet brie.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Some people don't eat Paleo to lose weight, so they wouldn't have need for a deficit. I don't think it's a fad at all, some people do not like to consume "processed" foods; I would say it's got a lot more attention recently with popularity, but it's been around a long time | kind of like keto.

Every fkin time with this term, what do you think the quote marks are for, like I say every single time I use this term which I hate so fkin much - cooking is a process, cutting is a process, even picking the plant or killing the animal is a process, im not the one who coined it - which is why I use the quote marks. I don't see how that isn't obvious; and you know exactly what it means there's no need to be so pedantic, that goes for everyone who tries to pull this bs.

Some people don't eat Paleo to lose weight, so they wouldn't have need for a deficit. I don't think it's a fad at all, some people do not like to consume "processed" foods

I'm on board with tossing out refined foods and overly processed foods. But no cheese and no whole grains? Screw that noise.

Yeah that's why I threw those quotes in, whenever someone points that out I'm like "cooking" "cutting" "washing" I hate that term.

Give up cheese? you're having a giggle mate. I'm lactoseintolerant & that still is not happening. Gimmie dat sweet brie.

because there is nothing inherently wrong with processed foods, and you can eat them, hit your goals, and lose weight. The level of food demonizing on these threads never ceases to amaze me..
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    It's the same as demonizing chemicals. Everything on earth is made from chemicals; even water is formed by a chemical reaction between hydrogen and oxygen. When did "chemical" become a dirty word?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Eating like a caveman does not sound fun at all.
  • CloudyMao
    Options

because there is nothing inherently wrong with processed foods, and you can eat them, hit your goals, and lose weight. The level of food demonizing on these threads never ceases to amaze me..

I never once said there was anything inherently wrong with them, or that you couldn't lose weight using them. Considering this thread is about Paleo there is actually very minimal food demonizing here, so what even is your point?
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    513825c914f7ad252c3dc9cadd566a8620cf2ec9949b4e1a444face766643afd.jpg
  • CloudyMao
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    You can lose weight on Paleo... but why the hell would you want to?

Seriously! I mean don't get me wrong, this works really well for some people; people have this style of eating worked into their lifestyle, and that's really awesome & good for them. I just can't see a life without baked potato smothered in cheese and mayo. Nope, no ty. OR pizza.. omg.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

I would guess that a person who lives mostly on packaged foods, such as mac n cheese, frozen pizza etc etc would be less healthy than a person who lived on mainly fresh and/or organic produce such as grass fed meats, free range eggs and fresh fruit and veg etc etc.
    I know which lifestyle I would prefer to follow.
    I'm not saying I live 100% healthy. I sometimes have packet foods, but not regularly.

• ndj1979
    Options

I never once said there was anything inherently wrong with them, or that you couldn't lose weight using them. Considering this thread is about Paleo there is actually very minimal food demonizing here, so what even is your point?

then why are you all bent out of shape about it?
  • ndj1979
    Options

I would guess that a person who lives mostly on packaged foods, such as mac n cheese, frozen pizza etc etc would be less healthy than a person who lived on mainly fresh and/or organic produce such as grass fed meats, free range eggs and fresh fruit and veg etc etc.
    I'm not saying I live 100% healthy. I sometimes have packet foods, but not regularly.

it would depend on said persons goal ...lose weight/fat = yes it would work ...recomp/add muscle/overall health = probably not.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Not for me. Honestly, I do best on a low carb diet...I can totally cut bread products from my diet (I do love potatoes, tho...bummer...but since I can eat other goodies, I do better with Southbeach/Atkins type). I love my beans. Can't do nuts because my son is severely allergic, so we don't keep them in the house at all.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Also, just as a personal preference I tend to usually like thinking of food in terms of the foods I want to emphasize rather than foods being off limits

Love this...

• CloudyMao
    Options

then why are you all bent out of shape about it?

You're the one who asked me a pedantic question & then tried to say there was food demonizing while replying directly to me. I'm not bent out of shape, I'm just replying to you.
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Nekrachael wrote: »
    Funny! "The paleo diet is not set in stone." Makin' me laugh!

I actually love that quote and also find it funny. But it is also true. Paleo is flexible and different to many people. It is a man made "diet" based on the caveman concept. I personally would find it hard to follow the hard core Paleo.

So I choose to listen to my body and how it feels after eating a certain product. "Food is your fuel and your medicine", that is the way I look at it. They say if you aren't doing more vegetables than a vegetarian, then you aren't doing Paleo. So I try to get as many vegetables into my day as I can. Doesn't always work but I believe it is worth the effort of trying.

A wise lady gave me this quote "never cheat with wheat" and that is the one firm part of Paleo that I am personally trying to adhere to as I feel really well when I stay away from wheat.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

That's probably true, but its not because of the food, it's because of the other lifestyle choices that generally accompany such a diet. Someone who is super active and ate that would probably be just as healthy as if they ate...well..."better".

I still remember Usain Bolt's story of eating nothing but chicken mcnuggets before his gold medal performance in the Beijing olympics....
  • Jkj95
    Jkj95 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of it, but it's too restrictive and I doubt I'd ever be able to stick to it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Part of the issue is that "processed food" doesn't just mean "packaged foods" like frozen pizza. It also means "packaged foods" like Greek yogurt and smoked salmon and baby carrots and a bag of spinach and canned whole tomatoes and a carton of eggs and a bottle of olive oil and frozen fish and any meat at the supermarket or butcher or even a local farm and on and on. Plus, obviously we process pretty much everything when we chop it, cook it, so on, and it's picked for us, trucked in from who knows where (the banana I ate today in Chicago is hardly "unprocessed" even apart from the fact that it would not exist at all if humans hadn't meddled).

I'm someone who tends to eat better if I eat lots of whole foods and cook a lot, not because that way of eating is inherently healthier but because I enjoy it more and it tends to motivate me to eat better, and because I really like vegetables when I cook them (or go to a good restaurant) and don't if they are in a convenience meal (in most cases, not claiming there aren't possible exceptions). However, it would be silly for me to claim that eating no processed foods is healthier. First, as mentioned above, a lot of what I eat IS packaged as set forth above (and basically everything is processed by others, except what I get from my garden, which is nothing this time of year). Second, I often seek out certain more processed foods specifically because I think they are healthy or they help me meet my nutrition needs. These include dairy products (which I buy packaged, even when from farms), smoked salmon and frozen fish, the occasional leaner cut of meat like lower fat ground beef or boneless skinless chicken or turkey breast, so on. Also protein powder or a Quest bar if one likes those things.

I also think it's possible to seek out packaged foods (in the sense you mean) that are consistent with an overall healthy diet, even if one eats 100% convenience foods. Indeed, since I live in an area with lots of trendy diet stuff, I could order paleo convenience meals from a local vendor that look pretty darn healthy to me, even if I suspect cavemen would find them weird.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    A wise lady gave me this quote "never cheat with wheat" and that is the one firm part of Paleo that I am personally trying to adhere to as I feel really well when I stay away from wheat.

I ran both my half marathons last year after going out for Indian food and having lots of naan. I possibly had a samosa too the second time.

I think it's totally cool if you find you feel better not eating wheat, but the advice seems to presume that we all have negative reactions to it, and that's not so.