Gym Attire for Women

Options

Replies

• ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    gym·na·si·um
    etymology:
    late 16th century: via Latin from Greek gumnasion, from gumnazein ‘exercise naked,’ from gumnos ‘naked.’

I think we have gotten away from its origins. Let's bring back tradition! (Said with tongue firmly in cheek)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    ukaryote wrote: »
    gym·na·si·um
    etymology:
    late 16th century: via Latin from Greek gumnasion, from gumnazein ‘exercise naked,’ from gumnos ‘naked.’

I think we have gotten away from its origins. Let's bring back tradition! (Said with tongue firmly in cheek)
    ... cough...
    which cheek?

lol
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    ... cough...
    which cheek?

lol

Err .... ahh ... bested again.

• bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Why not just focus on your own workout :P
    I think women at my gym are always dressed good for gym. they have tight pants and a top/t-shirt. Haven't noticed anyones underwear.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    annekka wrote: »
    I've learned to do the see through check when buying gym pants. But I also try to wear a complimentary pair of underwear when I'm wearing a pair of pants I suspect may have issues.

I love Lulu, and more than Lulu pants being the issue, I've noticed it's the cheap legging type pants that are always see through.
    Honestly, at least as far as the thin pants go, I think it's just that so much of women's work out clothes are made with cheap, low quality materials. That's just based on my experience at the gym and shopping.

Yup. Any pair of workout leggings/pants under $80 (CAD) is going to be somewhat ill-fitting or transparent. There just aren't a lot of good options.

torvallis wrote: »
    yoovie wrote: »
    I dont care if you can see my panty lines.

It's not the panty lines we don't want to see, it's the the chocolate starfish winking at us.

Around here I think problem isn't so much worn out clothing as it is women who are trying to wear clothes that are just far too small for their bodies. You see it frequently outside the gym too. Women walking along in leggings/tights which are perfectly black on the lower legs and most of the front but are so overstretched in back that they've gone transparent over the butt and upper thighs. Heaven forbid they drop something or want an item off a lower shelf and then you get a better view of them than even their gynecologist has.

Yeah women who can't or don't want to spend 80 bucks on things to sweat in don't have a lot of options.

If you don't like it, don't look. It's not their problem and it's not your business.

yes they do- target tjmaxx- walmart kohls and old navy have loads of pants for 12-35$

I pretty much refuse to pay more than 25 for a pair of pants. most of mine are 16-20. I get a lot of wear out of them.
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I would say the solution might be to just work out harder so that your focus Is on yourself rather than on watching other people at the gym.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I was going to say that I've never paid close to $80 for gym clothes (running shoes don't count) and can find plenty that fit fine.

I only addressed the thinness issue in my first post because I thought that's what the OP was talking about. Now that we've moved onto form fitting clothes, I say get over it. I wear form fitting workout clothes because they are comfy and hold everything in place. I have a mommy/former fat lady tummy and a bit of spandex keeps it all in place. And that reminds me of this.

whats-popping-ou.png
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Flaunt it I say
    2lb1j77.jpg

that's just.. beautiful.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I was going to say that I've never paid close to $80 for gym clothes (running shoes don't count) and can find plenty that fit fine.

I only addressed the thinness issue in my first post because I thought that's what the OP was talking about. Now that we've moved onto form fitting clothes, I say get over it. I wear form fitting workout clothes because they are comfy and hold everything in place. I have a mommy/former fat lady tummy and a bit of spandex keeps it all in place. And that reminds me of this.

whats-popping-ou.png

heh- that was kind of an awesome B movie- I loved it.
  • yoovie
    Options
    I wear colonial costumes when I work out. I like being modest.

i just laughed so hard at my desk.
  • JoRocka
    Options

churn down for what?
  • yoovie
    edited January 2015
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Dumbbell69 wrote: »
    it's a gymnasium.

a building or room designed and equipped for indoor sports, exercise, or physical education.

attire worn is for agility, close fitted for safety reasons, sweat wicking, etc.

the people there are thoroughly preoccupied with sports, exercise or other physical activity. Sweaty, focused, consumed with ability and performance and getting better and stronger and fighting the demons in their minds.

It's not a party, not a professional workplace environment, not a runway show or a social venue.

I dont care if you can see my panty lines.

If my pantylines distract you, or if my chest-to-calves black and neon spandex is going to distract you, try turning your brain inwards and focusing really hard on the actual task at hand, the stuff gyms were made for.

Best of luck!

Well said.

I like this too... but I'm not sure about the close fitted for safety thing. If it were true, all men would wear clothing as tight as women do.

i dont want my tee caught in the seat of the rowing machine tho - how embarrassing would that be on the next crop of gym fail gifs

also, when Im foam rolling, even my ponytail gets caught in the mix.

this is my usual gym uniform. black spandex.

4ypzm.gif

call me CatWoman on OHP day.
  • yoovie
    edited January 2015
    Options
    astrose00 wrote: »
    I used to workout at NY Sports Club in NYC (Grand Central Station). I never had so much T&A in my face than in that lockerroom in the morning. Like nakedness just inches from my face at every turn. It was too close for comfort! I switched to working out at the local branch at night. Not just because of T&A in my grill but because it was hard to get an open cardio machine or strength machine on a consistent basis. I hate spending half my allotted workout time waiting for a machine...

hey that's my gym! :D:D:D

(that location is super crowded b/c bridge and tunnel commuters -_-)

• jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    And because seeing a fit/muscular Asian woman is like observing an Unicorn in real life...
    tumblr_mak27kQIbT1qlbnppo1_500.jpg

amen
  • 52cardpickup
    52cardpickup Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

churn down for what?

I just had the most epic music video play in my mind. Thanks for that.
  • dbmata
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

churn down for what?

HAH!
  • dbmata
    Options
    astrose00 wrote: »
    I used to workout at NY Sports Club in NYC (Grand Central Station). I never had so much T&A in my face than in that lockerroom in the morning. Like nakedness just inches from my face at every turn. It was too close for comfort! I switched to working out at the local branch at night. Not just because of T&A in my grill but because it was hard to get an open cardio machine or strength machine on a consistent basis. I hate spending half my allotted workout time waiting for a machine...

hey that's my gym! :D:D:D

(that location is super crowded b/c bridge and tunnel commuters -_-)

Are the new york B&Ters as "awesome" as the SF ones are?
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I am far too focused on breathing, jogging, lifting, listening to my music/podcast to even care about the see through pants of any person in the gym. I'm sure I notice, but I don't have a second thought about it.
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    OP 'Mind yourself' is the answer to that and other problems you have with how people live their lives inside or outside the gym.
    Unless they are hurting you, themselves, or anyone else just let them get on with it.
    Sort of see through leggings are not against the rules, so mind yourself unless someone puts their actual *kitten* by you.