THIS...IS...SPARTA!!!!

Options

Replies

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    The weight machine I use only has 10 pound increments.

I suggest you get off the machines and into the free weight room
    Ordinarily that wouldn't be a problem, except that I workout at home with only a pair of 20 lb dumbbells as free weights. An alternative would be to drive to my old school where they probably do have free weights in their gym, but I'd prefer not to abandon the equipment in my own home and make a special trip there just for that. Plus, Sarah has said what I have can work.

Okay. I fail to see how that would work but okay. But keep asking questions. The amount of frustration you give to these guys is classic
    Listen to the resident troll when it comes to asking senseless questions Jason.

You really do make me laugh sometimes. Reading the amount of useless flames you throw at everyone then trying to label someone as a troll. I think the funniest thing is you claim to be trying to help people. You really end up misunderstanding what people are saying most of the time or take people's comments out of context so you can have some semantic battle. I'm surprised the amount of backpedaling you've done hasn't created a black hole in space. IMHO of course

Derp derp derp.

I do believe I'm starting to feel reverse gravitational pull
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Ordinarily that wouldn't be a problem, except that I workout at home with only a pair of 20 lb dumbbells as free weights. An alternative would be to drive to my old school where they probably do have free weights in their gym, but I'd prefer not to abandon the equipment in my own home and make a special trip there just for that. Plus, Sarah has said what I have can work.

Okay. I fail to see how that would work but okay. But keep asking questions. The amount of frustration you give to these guys is classic
    Yeah, I can understand ndj's point that down the road access to (heavier) free weights would really be good. Although my upper body lifts have stalled, I can tell I definitely got some newbie strength gains (I think even in real life) from the first several workouts I did with my machine. I would think given my weight and lifting stats there should still be a lot of room for me to get relatively substantially stronger and bigger over time (although I'm not trying to go at warp speed now).

why are you so concerned with slow gain? Are you scared of something?? I really don't get it...
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Maybe he's being realistic about how "fast" gains come?
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Yeah, I can understand ndj's point that down the road access to (heavier) free weights would really be good. Although my upper body lifts have stalled, I can tell I definitely got some newbie strength gains (I think even in real life) from the first several workouts I did with my machine. I would think given my weight and lifting stats there should still be a lot of room for me to get relatively substantially stronger and bigger over time (although I'm not trying to go at warp speed now).

why are you so concerned with slow gain? Are you scared of something?? I really don't get it...
    Several reasons.
    1. While I've mentioned in threads elsewhere in the forum that I seemed to have hit the jackpot when it comes to my metabolism (I think I can maintain my weight on more calories per pound of bodyweight than most other guys of the same age and activity level). While that could probably be debated, obviously when appetite comes into play it's not such a blessing with bulking. Also, due to sensitivity with my digestive system and also with the types of foods I already eat, a lot of the typical suggestions for significantly increasing calories won't work for me. I don't want eating to feel like a chore, and given the long history I have of a sensitive digestive system I certainly don't want to feel bloated or put a lot more strain on it.

2. On a related note, I have to admit that there's a part of me that wants to continue riding this "fast metabolism" out as long as I can (I know with time it probably won't be this way). I mean, it is kind of cool after all to just eat however much food I want (with what my appetite allows), not do a whole lot of exercise (I'm quite sedentary outside of training), and not have to watch my weight.

3. The six pack. I'm sure some of you will recall me saying in another recent thread that I was blessed with low enough body fat automatically for a six pack. Rather than try to do a notable bulk and then cut, I feel like I'm in a position to attempt doing what a thread by someone else from weeks ago said "gain weight without losing the pack".

4. This is really not a legit issue, but it's not helping either. I gotta say, I don't think some of my family members understand how bulking really works. If I started eating the amount of extra food required for a traditional bulk, some of my family members would think I'm losing my mind (even though they know I'm training). This probably can be linked back to #1 for psychological reasons, but if you were to ask them if I'm eating enough food as it is now to gain an appreciable amount of muscle, they'd say yes. I would imagine if they spent some time in person around people who were actually bulking, maybe their perception would be different.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Several reasons.
    1. While I've mentioned in threads elsewhere in the forum that I seemed to have hit the jackpot when it comes to my metabolism (I think I can maintain my weight on more calories per pound of bodyweight than most other guys of the same age and activity level). While that could probably be debated, obviously when appetite comes into play it's not such a blessing with bulking. Also, due to sensitivity with my digestive system and also with the types of foods I already eat, a lot of the typical suggestions for significantly increasing calories won't work for me. I don't want eating to feel like a chore, and given the long history I have of a sensitive digestive system I certainly don't want to feel bloated or put a lot more strain on it.

2. On a related note, I have to admit that there's a part of me that wants to continue riding this "fast metabolism" out as long as I can (I know with time it probably won't be this way). I mean, it is kind of cool after all to just eat however much food I want (with what my appetite allows), not do a whole lot of exercise (I'm quite sedentary outside of training), and not have to watch my weight.

3. The six pack. I'm sure some of you will recall me saying in another recent thread that I was blessed with low enough body fat automatically for a six pack. Rather than try to do a notable bulk and then cut, I feel like I'm in a position to attempt doing what a thread by someone else from weeks ago said "gain weight without losing the pack".

4. This is really not a legit issue, but it's not helping either. I gotta say, I don't think some of my family members understand how bulking really works. If I started eating the amount of extra food required for a traditional bulk, some of my family members would think I'm losing my mind (even though they know I'm training). This probably can be linked back to #1 for psychological reasons, but if you were to ask them if I'm eating enough food as it is now to gain an appreciable amount of muscle, they'd say yes. I would imagine if they spent some time in person around people who were actually bulking, maybe their perception would be different.

so you are saying that you could not eat at 250 calories over maintenance and go for .5 pound per week gain…? Or even eat at maintenance and try to recomp…?
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Several reasons.

so you are saying that you could not eat at 250 calories over maintenance and go for .5 pound per week gain…? Or even eat at maintenance and try to recomp…?
    The first 2 (almost 3) months or so since I started I essentially was at maintenance, although I was 'trying' to get into a surplus. Over the last week or so I changed up my thinking. All along, I was trying to count calories to meet a certain target. But with the likelihood of enough errors (especially since there were a lot of foods or components of foods I was guessing at), I decided to scratch that. Instead of looking at it that way, I'm now just trying to add about 100 calories to the food combos/what I essentially did over the past couple months. Some days I probably could add more like 200-250, but I also realize that there will be days that (with the general food combos I eat) it may be harder to get much extra.

• 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    @ 125 I would look like a stick figure as I am 5 9 and 165.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    \

tumblr_mf4z7kgXCj1rlwl19o1_400.jpg

;)

You aren't one of those over-thinkers, are you? You seem to be more of the "pick-weight-up-put-weight-down-repeat" variety. :)

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    \

tumblr_mf4z7kgXCj1rlwl19o1_400.jpg

;)

You aren't one of those over-thinkers, are you? You seem to be more of the "pick-weight-up-put-weight-down-repeat" variety. :)

I pick things up and put them back down for various sets, reps, and percentages.
  • Delphino
    Delphino Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    JoRocka, I would have to say you have it turned around. First off, Bruce Lee was pretty defined the majority of his life due to the way he ate and trained as well as his small stature and genetics. Holocaust survivors were literally starved so no comparison. It is actually much harder for a larger person to get definition over a smaller person. You can train 8 hours a day, but if you aren't eating correctly you will NEVER see a six-pack and I don't care how big or small you are. The rest of the body works in the same fashion.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Delphino wrote: »
    JoRocka, I would have to say you have it turned around. First off, Bruce Lee was pretty defined the majority of his life due to the way he ate and trained as well as his small stature and genetics. Holocaust survivors were literally starved so no comparison. It is actually much harder for a larger person to get definition over a smaller person. You can train 8 hours a day, but if you aren't eating correctly you will NEVER see a six-pack and I don't care how big or small you are. The rest of the body works in the same fashion.

FYI a lot of comments have been removed from this thread so what you've read will be out of context.

I'm getting this thread back in a nice direction :)fak5uoac1tuj.jpg

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Delphino wrote: »

I don't have anything turned around- but thank you.

And yes Elaine.

YES.

Big fat drooling YES.

He's so adorable and rugged it makes me happy in my pants.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    I couldn't read the whole post but I always chuckle a bit when males are chasing movie star physiques......

Don't people realize that movie stars take Steroids, Growth Hormones, Testosterone, etc... to achieve the bodies they do for many roles..... These guys are paid MILLIONS of dollars to act and be the part. They will do what is necessary to achieve the look. You are very naive if you think otherwise!
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    jmule24 wrote: »
    I couldn't read the whole post but I always chuckle a bit when males are chasing movie star physiques......

Don't people realize that movie stars take Steroids, Growth Hormones, Testosterone, etc... to achieve the bodies they do for many roles..... These guys are paid MILLIONS of dollars to act and be the part. They will do what is necessary to achieve the look. You are very naive if you think otherwise!

No, unfortunately most people are naive. Same goes with the vast majority of professional athletes and people are baffled when they get caught.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Um, late the the game. Firstly, I love the gif intermission during mod cleanup. I approve of this change.

Secondly, OP got a lot of great advice, but you also kept mentioning that you can't afford "healthy" foods. Keep in mind that healthy food is what gets you to your goal (and doesn't cause problems with your training and satiation). So don't think of food as "good" or "bad". That said, you find that whole foods that you can stretch are much cheaper than prepackaged foods. Peanut butter, oats, rice, beans are all pretty inexpensive. Potatoes are pretty cheap as well.

Work on getting your protein in through foods so that you don't have to supplement. As others have mention, a whole chicken is far cheaper than getting boneless/skinless breasts. Frozen and canned veggies are cheaper than fresh (I hate the texture of canned veggies), and dried beans are much cheaper than canned. If you have a local store that focuses on ethnic foods they often can have large quantities of things that are super cheap. The Pakistani isle of our local Fiesta has a ton of spices and nuts that would be 10x the price in the typical spice or nut aisle. Also try buying in bulk. You can get bags of 20lbs of rice that are relatively cheap (as long as you can invest in it all at once), and it fits perfectly in a 5 gallon paint bucket from the hardware store.