WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2015

Options

Replies

• peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Mollywhippet, thanks for the jokes that make the day brighter.
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    So I have started taking Bodi out on daily walk/runs. I had gotten out of the habit since his injury and I just played with him in the yard and house. I have to tell you he is doing so much better since I started this. I had noticed he was actually getting worse and that was my trigger. The side effect of this is that I am getting outside and walk/running. I feel better and I am still losing. The real benefit is that Bodi started wagging his tail again. And that warms my heart.

I have also forced my DH to share 3 greatful things at the end of the day as we unwind for sleep. It is helping me so much and even if his is resistant he is going through the motions and I think it will help him whether he wants to be helped or not.

Sorry I got behind in reading. There is so much activity on this thread. I am trying to keep up. Have a great day all!

Robin, Bodi and Ritter
    from the Beautiful PNW
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Hello Lovely Ladies,

I hope you all are staying warm. I've done yoga and then strength training. Next on to the treadmill.

Robin, I'm so glad to hear Bodi is doing well. I've been away from this thread for awhile, but I remember his accident well. Hugs for you and him!

Sylvia, Thank you for the grins!

Time to get on that treadmill.

Be strong ladies!

Cindy in OK
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Quick pop on again..........FYI.....those with back pain---just heard a promo that Dr. Oz will be doing a segment on back pain and how to help it on the show today.....ABC network. I don't know if everyone gets the same show on the same day. Love him or hate him, there might be some nugget in there that will help.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Carol: I have no advice about how to resolve your daughter dropping in at random. My kids have keys to my home and come and go as they please, however neither of them lives within a hundred miles of my house so it isn’t an ongoing problem and doesn’t compromise my privacy. The sleep information that Kim gave me was from AARP. I googled AARP + sleep just now and came to an article called More Sleep Means More Brain Power. It is a good place to start.:flowerforyou:

Rita: Good news about your son and the intake procedure. It is a good step. :flowerforyou:

Vicki: Sending good thoughts your way. :flowerforyou:

Sylvia: Love the Hook joke. :flowerforyou:

I’m distracted this morning and don’t have what it takes to reply to everyone. I hope you all have a good day.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

January Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,328 Member
    Options
    I've been following the Paris news. I have a huge connection with Paris and the values of the Republic. I'm not a defender of insults. But I know that killing people is not the way.
    May we all learn to love each other and have a dialogue.
    Heather, saddened but resolute in Hampshire UK
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Jogged 2.5 miles last night. Well kind of. Ran 2 min, walked 3 min, etc. for 45 minutes. I was aiming for 3 miles but Army son called. I haven't run in years! Working towards a 5k race Mother's day weekend in May. Hubs says I run like a turtle through peanut butter. But at least I'm trying!

Just scheduled our summer vacation for August at a cabin on a lake in Pennsylvania with my parents and my sister's family. Feels good to plan for summer when it is -10 outside!

Diana in northeast Indiana
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,934 Member
    Options
    Good day my friends! Just caught up on posts since yesterday. Busy today at work so no time to really concentrate and post.

Thank you to all for the comments on my pictures. Yes, I look just like my mother and my oldest daughter looks just like me. My son looks just like his father. My DD#2 is a true mix of both. Strange how the same parents can produce the different characteristics we see in siblings. Wonderful.

Well, my son made it to the therapist and is there now. I will update further when I hear more.

The contractor for the TN house still has not given me an estimate on prepping the house for sale. Worried about how much that will be.

I have to get back to work now.

Hugs and prayers for all!

Rita in CT

Words for the year:
    Determination and Moderation
    January Goals:
    1. Fix TN house and sell
    2. Taxes
    3. Exercise 20 times this month
    4. Lose 5 pounds
    All to get to my year end goals of Financial stability and lose 50 pounds.

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Sylvia,this comes from a person (me) who is car challenged :\ Read the post to DH ...he asked if you have a warning light about radiator low on fluid? He says you could burn up the motor driving when it's low....or cause a fire. A good mechanic can check it out. Patceoh
  • trisH_7183
    Options
    I've been following the Paris news. I have a huge connection with Paris and the values of the Republic. I'm not a defender of insults. But I know that killing people is not the way.
    May we all learn to love each other and have a dialogue.
    Heather, saddened but resolute in Hampshire UK

Sad situation. I agree,just can't see how killing helps their cause.Loved the picture on TV of ppl crowding the street to show their solidarity. Pat
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,776 Member
    Options
    Paris ... More madness ... And sadness ...
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday! Another cold morning but to warm up to 31 today. Wind is what gets me, goes right thru me. Wish I could say my eating is better, but it's not. Seems I can do well during the day, but evenings I am an eating machine. Not giving up and that is the important thing. I am riding the nustep a couple times a day on the days I work.

Beth--Glad to hear DS is taking a part in his health. Pray it does help.

On the subject of colanoscopies. My mom and her parents and both of her brothers have had colan cancer. Mom is cancer free now over 10 years. I have had to have one every 5 years since 40. The first time they did remove on polyp and since then nothing. This last March when I had it they coded it wrong and insurance only paid part of it. I kept after them until I am hoping since I have not heard anything for a couple months it got paid.

Saw in the paper this morning they are doing the weight challeng. It's put on by the YMCA and the hospital. It is two person teams from Feb 2 and March 30th. So the lady I was on a team with last year and I are going to join again. Hope this is the push I need to get back on track. Now we have to come up with a team name.

Heather--hope you are feeling better. Sure doesn't sound like fun.

Terri--Sorry to hear you are ill. The more I hear about the flu shot this year, the less it covers.

pipcd34--Thanks for sharing the picture.

Robin--Great news about you and Bodi. Hugs for both of you! I think getting DH to share postive things everyday is a great idea. I am going to see if my DH will do that. I have started the Happiness project journal that I write in everyday and it is only a couple sentances and book has room for 5 years. Just started Jan 1, but can tell it helps me think of postive things during the day.

Heather--I have been also watching the news on Paris, it is just like the people who distory whole towns because they don't like something one person or group does. My heart goes out to those people.
    Well I rode the nustep on both my breaks today. I set the tenison up one and I can tell. Windy and cold outside, so Thankful I am inside and DH will pick me up in a warm car. Sounds like tomorrow will be another below zero day with wind chills -. Take care dear friends. One Day at a Time.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE
  • trisH_7183
    edited January 2015
    Options
    My plan for Jauary is to "Keep on,keeping on". Kind of plain & to the point....it describes me very well :D Pat
    Rita inCt........great pictures of you & family. When Mom was in a nursing home,ppl would come up to me & say "You have to be Leona's daughter".
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Rita, my oldest daughter said that she inherited all the good traits from both parents, the other daughter said she got the bad traits from both of us. But she has learned how to handle the anger issues a lot better than her Dad. I think they are both right in how the view themselves. I am just so proud of both of them and what they are as adults. Neither one is where we thought they would be when parents and teens have those illustrious dreams but they are both good adults and daughters.

Had my annual physical today. With the online chart I had already seen my lab work so I knew that my glucose and cholesterol were elevated but he said as long as the hgb A1c and lipid profile were normal he wasn't concerned especially since eh knew I was still working on them. I guess that is double pressure on myself to be good on my diet. There was another test I knew nothing about. It was part of the urinalysis. He said it had something to do with kidney disease as a result of long term high blood pressure and diabetes. It is high and he said it is just something we have to watch. Blood pressure was wonderful, I haven't shrunk anymore and my weight is just a tad more that last October. Sine I have had a complete hysterectomy including cervix removed I didn't need a Pap smear and really don't need it anymore unless I just want one. I still have to get my Mammogram and bone density scan. The former I have never had before. He wanted to schedule another visit in 6 months and I really didn't see any need for one and he said OK to that. So I didn't need to strip down to nothing. I had an area on my thumb that seemed real crusty and didn't know what it was. It is where I have a big freckle or old age spot or whatever.But the crustiness is new. When he examined it he saw a splinter in it. I knew I had one close to it and got it out. So he got it out. So I am a happy camper!!!

Joyce, Indiana
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Friday and woke to sunshine and warmth after RAIN all day yesterday.
    I kept to my allotted 1700 cals and scales say 96.9 Kg and BF% down too.
    Washing all clothes in basket to hang on the line. Finishing towels in dryer to make fluffy.
    Mildred beagle had a good night last night and slept peacefully. She has had her meat and pills and is now on spare double bed watching me.
    I think we are driving to Sheffiled today, the man did promise yesterday.
    Also need to prune the roses, Granny's bonnets and lupins.
    Lesley in Tasmania
    Keep showing my ticker, might change to pounds methinks.
    67586641.png
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    It has been a long time since I was on the thread but I'm happy to see so many familiar names and faces. I've had a couple of eye surgeries since I last posted and been on steroid drops, first eye was three months and this eye been three weeks so far. All I'm going to say about that. My goal this month is no excuses. I'm very good at making excuses for why I'm not doing what I need to do.
    Thanks Barbie for still being here. I tried to catch up with all the January posts but didn't get through them all.
    I love the quote, "Gratitude for the Past - Strength for the Present and Faith for the Future".
    Barb in South LA - I have two daughters who live in Parker, CO. Wonder if they are close to each other. One daughter works in a Pediatricians office. The other teaches Economics in Jr College and is a Pastor.
    Sue in TX
    No Excuses - Never give UP
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    sooooo cold.was 60 in house.Did some cooking today to warm up.
    Be safe all.
    HUGS
    jane
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Pat, my van doesn't seem to have an idiot light for water. It does for oil, but not water. I had it in for an oil change at Walmart just the other day and asked them to check the fluids but the said they don't check antifreeze, so apparently they don't even check the level, because you couldn't even see it either in the reservoir or under the radiator cap.

We will take it in to a radiator shop next week, after I get a paycheck.

Thanks for asking your hubby about it. Yours has helped convince mine.

Sue, welcome back! I hope your eyes improve quickly.

Sylvia

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,083 Member
    Options
    Good Evening Friends,
    welcome.gif Newcomers. Glad to see others are finding us. We missed you.

talk.gif

We got some snow to go with our cold. Four straight days no outside recess. Time for more garden pictures. For me gardens are a place to heal. We need more gardens.
    Every garden need a laughing pig.
    u577x5vi6h31.jpg
    tksfak01pb3d.jpg

2015 Word: Strength

Quote: Just because I see the hook does not mean I have to bite.

rose.gifMNMargaret
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    *Molly, thanks for the joke. I'm still laughing.

*pipcd34, hola(that's all I know. lol) I love the picture and info. Your dogs are beautiful.

*Robin, good for you and Bodi. Great that DH is participating even when he doesn't really want to. Good for you.

Diana, I know what you mean about planning your vacation. I have a cruise in 29 days and I'm praying it's warm down in the south and the caribbean.

*Vicki, good for you on the weight challenge. you go girl!

Joyce, it sounds like a good check up all the way around. Glad the thumb was only a splinter.

*Leslie, I laugh every night when I read your post that it is the next morning. It really makes me realize how small the world is, expecially with the internet. (It's 7:30pm Thurs here)

*Sue, I wasn't here when you were before, but I'm glad you are back. I hope your eyes are ok now. Now that you have the excuses behind you, I know you can/will do this. Even though I haven't lived there in almost 50 years, I'm a Texan too, and we are a tough breed.

*jane, I like your plan to cook to warm up the house, but if I cooked I'd eat. :( Actually I did make a pot of home made soup today and it was just what I needed on this cold night.

*NMMargaret, I love the garden pig! And the flowers are beautiful.

Welcome to any newbies that I missed. I'm so glad that all of you ladies are here. Thanks for sharing and supporting and being great friends.

Love to all and much happiness and good health.

Janet in Myrtle Beach, SC