Vanillabeanss2 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I did paleo last winter and it worked! Losing weight for sure
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    A wise lady gave me this quote "never cheat with wheat" and that is the one firm part of Paleo that I am personally trying to adhere to as I feel really well when I stay away from wheat.

I ran both my half marathons last year after going out for Indian food and having lots of naan. I possibly had a samosa too the second time.

I think it's totally cool if you find you feel better not eating wheat, but the advice seems to presume that we all have negative reactions to it, and that's not so.

Lemurcat, I think you are missing the word "I" in my post. As in, "I am personally trying" or "I feel really well" and "I stay away from wheat."

Never once in that post do I make the assumption that everyone has a negative reaction to wheat.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    A wise lady gave me this quote "never cheat with wheat" and that is the one firm part of Paleo that I am personally trying to adhere to as I feel really well when I stay away from wheat.

I ran both my half marathons last year after going out for Indian food and having lots of naan. I possibly had a samosa too the second time.

I think it's totally cool if you find you feel better not eating wheat, but the advice seems to presume that we all have negative reactions to it, and that's not so.

Lemurcat, I think you are missing the word "I" in my post. As in, "I am personally trying" or "I feel really well" and "I stay away from wheat."

Never once in that post do I make the assumption that everyone has a negative reaction to wheat.

so then why is eating wheat cheating????
  • emilymean
    emilymean Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    To the guy above, obviously that is part of paleo that she adheres strictly to.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Then why is "never cheat with wheat" wise? That goes beyond saying that it's something that happens to work for you and suggests that it's some kind of sage advice or a general rule.
  • LeenaGee
    Options
    "Never cheat with wheat" is wise for ME!! It fact it is great advice for ME!!
  • ndj1979
    Options

Then why is "never cheat with wheat" wise? That goes beyond saying that it's something that happens to work for you and suggests that it's some kind of sage advice or a general rule.

that was my interpretation too ...
  • ndj1979
    Options

so you are talking to yourself on a public forum?

sorry I am late getting back I just cheated with wheat = two servings of rice, panko crusted cod, and some crusty rolls….
  • LeenaGee
    edited January 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

so you are talking to yourself on a public forum?

sorry I am late getting back I just cheated with wheat = two servings of rice, panko crusted cod, and some crusty rolls….

No, no, no, you missed the point - I was talking "about" myself on a public forum. Radical stuff going on here so listen carefully to what I am saying - "I don't eat wheat because it makes ME feel sick so I follow an eating regime based on the Paleo concept."

As for you sunshine, eat what you want, when you want, makes no difference to me in any shape or form.
    emilymean wrote: »
    To the guy above, obviously that is part of paleo that she adheres strictly to.

Thanks Emily, that is absolutely correct but I do have little lapses every now and then which I always live to regret.

Now back to topic. :)
    dpaden25 wrote: »
    Anyone have any feelings on eating Paleo? I've been searching online and getting mixed reviews.. I can get used to getting rid of processed but greens?!? Or any beans?!? Friend me:) I'm always looking for and love giving support!!
  • Andee2000
    Andee2000 Posts: 31 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Edited my post.
  • ndj1979
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Andee2000 wrote: »
    ]quote] so much that I could say ...

your lost weight because you created a calorie deficit..

you felt great because I don't know, maybe you just felt great.

There are chemicals in all food..

and pretty much everything is processed in one form or another...even that "antibiotic/steroid free" meat...

I've been reading threads for a long time, I don't post much, but I'm not new to MFP, I've been a member for years. I've noticed that in just about every thread that someone posts something about removing processed food from there diet you chime in about how all food is processed. I think the majority of people reading understand what the person posting means by processed (things like boxed mac and cheese, frozen turkey pot pies, or a bag of Doritos.) Why do you feel it necessary to point that out every.single.time? Same goes for when someone posts about eating clean. They mean good, healthy food.[/quote]

define "good healthy" food?

there is nothing wrong with processed food, hence, I chime in...

ETA - lean cuisine is also processed is that "bad", what about frozen vegetables, also processed. There are a lot of things that are processed that fall out of your narrow definition of boxed mac and cheese and Doritos...
  • LeenaGee
    Options
    The frozen vegetables I would buy are just vacuumed packed with nothing added so I would be fine with that. However, Lean cruisine comes into my range of processed foods and I personally couldn't eat them because of the wheat.

Have you seen the ingredients in a Lean cruisine?
    This is their Chicken & Spinach Risotto
    Product Ingredients
    Water, cooked rice (30%) (water, white rice, brown rice), cooked marinated chicken (10%) [chicken, water, salt, sugar, mineral salts (451, 450, 452), vegetable fibre, natural flavor, chicken fat], mushrooms (6%), spinach (4%), light sour cream, thickener (1422), skim milk powder, natural flavours (contains wheat, barley, milk), cheese, onion flakes, garlic, yeast extracts, wheat flour, butter, brown sugar, salt, stabilizer (451), natural colour (caramel I), black pepper, rosemary.

Lamb & Rosemary Hot Pot
    Product Ingredients
    Potato mash (42%) {water, potato flakes [potato emulsifier (471), food acid (citric)], skim milk powder,cheese (contains wheat), canola oil, natural flavour (contains milk), onion powder, salt, herbs, spices}, water, cooked marinated lamb (10%) [lamb, water, salt, mineral salts (451, 452, 450)], carrots (7%), peas (6%), wheat flour, thickener (1422), butter, thickened cream, brown sugar, salt, onion powder, yeast extract, whey powder, natural colour (caramel I), garlic, natural flavour (contains soy, wheat) rosemary, spices.

Where's the Chicken and Lamb in these meals?
  • MariaChele85
    MariaChele85 Posts: 267 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Paleo made me gain weight!

Ok well it didn't make me gain weight, but it didnt do what I expected. About 4 months ago, a group of us did a 30 day paleo challenge. It was ok, I stuck with it about 90-ish % of the time.
    But apparently for this challenge, you didnt have to log calories because you are eating fresh and clean foods. But nuts, oils, meats, clean and fresh foods still have calories, and I know I was wayyy over eating. I couldnt eat my peanut butter or my beans. I still stayed very active, doing boot camps 4-6 times a week. Overall I dont think Paleo is for me. I dont bash those who are on it, we are all different.
  • mobri1130
    mobri1130 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm drawn to it because I tend to eat way too many carbs and processed food (frozen diet meals) and not enough protein. But getting enough calcium is problematic. I aim to follow it about 80-85% of the time allowing myself a few meals each week to enjoy bread and dairy.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    I think it's got some good ideas that aren't unique to paleo, such as eating minimally refined foods. I think the food restrictions it has are silly, and consequently I don't like it.

Agreed with the bolded.

I tried it for a bit just to see how I would respond to it, but I ultimately decided it was 1) too restrictive (I like peanut butter and beans way too much to give them up) and 2) made my workouts suffer.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I sometimes listen to paleo-oriented podcasts (I love podcasts for long runs and household chores and commutes and listen to a whole slew of them, whether I agree or not), and it seems like not losing weight on paleo is quite common, especially for women. (And I know that's not the main reason many people do it, but it is the main reason lots of other people do, or one of them.) One rather headscratching call and answer involved a woman who was substantially overweight and had switched to paleo and was not losing or maybe even gaining, I forget. She gave a list of what she was eating and it was a TON of calories, including bulletproof coffee which she had added to her diet. The advice from the hosts was to keep it up, sometimes it takes a while, but to search carefully for possible wheat or maybe consider dropping some nightshades to see if that made a difference. Nothing about possibly also watching calories.

Sigh.
  • Andee2000
    Andee2000 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Andee2000 wrote: »
    ]quote] so much that I could say ...

your lost weight because you created a calorie deficit..

you felt great because I don't know, maybe you just felt great.

There are chemicals in all food..

and pretty much everything is processed in one form or another...even that "antibiotic/steroid free" meat...

I've been reading threads for a long time, I don't post much, but I'm not new to MFP, I've been a member for years. I've noticed that in just about every thread that someone posts something about removing processed food from there diet you chime in about how all food is processed. I think the majority of people reading understand what the person posting means by processed (things like boxed mac and cheese, frozen turkey pot pies, or a bag of Doritos.) Why do you feel it necessary to point that out every.single.time? Same goes for when someone posts about eating clean. They mean good, healthy food.

define "good healthy" food?

there is nothing wrong with processed food, hence, I chime in...

ETA - lean cuisine is also processed is that "bad", what about frozen vegetables, also processed. There are a lot of things that are processed that fall out of your narrow definition of boxed mac and cheese and Doritos...[/quote]

I edited my original post because I read someone else had already discussed with you.
    What is your point in discussing this into the ground? Everything is processed in some form. We.all.know.that. I just don't understand your need to discuss it in circles. It just seems to clog up the thread from the original point(s).