Hornsby wrote: »
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Food does actually contain energy.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_transformation

I don't think anyone misunderstands that we get energy from food.

so then why the argument over food = energy?

are you saying yes now? Or are you still disputing it?
    Do you understand the difference between these two statements?

Food provides energy.
    Food's sole function is to provide energy.

You talk as if no one else does.

so what else does food do when you eat it? food provides humans with energy that is how we nourish ourselves..

what other "function" does food provide?

Provides vitamins and minerals, curbs hunger, changes moods.....

Helps to regulate your blood pressure...

.....and you get energy from it.

The key word is "and". It isn't whether food provides energy, the debate is whether or not food ONLY provides energy. That's ridiculous in my opinion.

my assertion was that food = energy ..to which I got several replies that was "false"...

Actually, your assertion was "its not an opinion ..food = energy ..nothing else..that is a fact...".

It's the absolute that is making you wrong in this debate. Sorry.

well that not quite how it went down..

I made the comment that food is not "good" or "bad" that food is energy that your body uses to fuel itself..

someone said - well that is your opinion/belief...
    -
    to which my reply was no, food is in fact energy, that is a fact, not opinion ..

and then this whole charade started..

its on page 2 ...
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I actually was wondering if your calorie goal may be set too low. Perhaps you need more than 1500 or 1600 a day and especially on exercise days. Do you know how many calories you were eating before to maintain your weight and the percentage of deficit MFP plan created for you for weight loss. 8 lbs in 9 days is quite aggressive.

I see that you do eat some of your exercise calories and you are still hungry.

If you get hunger pangs try drinking water. Sometimes you are really thirsty. If after 20 minutes you are still having hunger pangs you need to eat a snack.

Goal sounds too low to me.
  • beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    07mmr64lho89.jpg
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    You are confusing the social aspect of food eating out, dining in a social setting, eating for enjoyment, etc, with the nutritional side of food, which is food for energy. Again, the two are not mutually exclusive.
    If food is only energy, there is no nutritional side and no need to track macros.

If preferences matter, then people can have preferences to not eat certain foods.

Food doesn't contain energy, it gives us energy. It's not like energy content is right there between calories and grams of fat on a label . . .
    No, it's not between calories and grams of fat, it *is* calories. A calorie is a unit of energy.

• ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Might want to add some good fats to your diet. I find that avocado is really satiating for me, but you could do something different like nuts or a T of nut butter. When you're losing weight, even healthy fats feel decadent.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    kyta32 wrote: »
    Omg i don't mean dirty ffs. I just mean good, whole, healthy. No need to be a douche

so i am a "douche" for pointing out that there is no "bad" food and you can eat ice cream…hmmmm OK ..

define "good, whole, healthy" food, because I have no idea what that is.

Please remember that not everyone holds the same opinions/beliefs as you do towards food.

its not an opinion ..food = energy ..nothing else..that is a fact...
    No, it isn't.

Like most of your "facts", that is incorrect. Food contains many things, including water, vitamins and minerals. It's not just energy/calories via macronutrients.

For all the time you spend insulting, mocking, name-calling and laughing at others, you are almost always wrong. The insults do not now, nor did they ever, nor will they ever mean that you are right.

Regardless of what food is made up of . . . our bodies use all of it for fuel to get our energy. We don't get energy from any other sources . . if you stop eating, you get tired and sluggish and fatigued. Just like when your car runs out of gas it stops going right? Same concept.
    Correct...except the "all of it" part.
    It doesn't matter what is in the food we eat at all - well it does for nutritional purposes, which is your water, vitamins, minerals, etc argument but in terms of our bodies using it, we use pretty much all of it for fuel. What matters is that we use it to keep going, or in other terms, we use it to fuel ourselves.
    In "terms of our body using it", the water is more vital than any of it...and contains no calories. However, we could get water without food.

In "terms of our body using it", those vitamins, minerals (no etc.) are important. Those micros are as important as the much-touted macros.

For weight loss, it doesn't matter. You can eat absolutely nothing and lose weight.

drink only water for a year and eat nothing for a year and see if you live ....

what do you think that your body uses macros and micros for? It breaks them down for ENERGY to use in bodily functions like building muscle, breathing, digesting, brain function ....

is that really so hard to understand...

Your body uses protein and to build muscles, enzymes for digesting, and hormones regulate many systems (i.e. brain chemistry). When fat and protein is oxidized or turned into glucose (used for energy) it can no longer be used to make things like muscles, enzymes, and hormones. Some of the fat and most of the protein you eat goes to non-energy requirements.

and what do all those functions require????
  • ndj1979
    Options

FYI - OP was not concerned with not losing...her problem is eating "too clean" which leaves her "starving"

Absolutely NOT!!!! Clearly you misunderstood. I am eating the foods i like but in smaller amounts. I am eating high protein and minimal carbs because it makes me feel better. I was wondering if my calories were too low or looking for suggestions on of it is normal to feel hunger all day. That is it. I did not say the "clean food was leaving me starving"
    [/quote]

Hmmmm here is your first post...

I am 257lbs 31yr old female. I started MFP last Monday and have lost 8lbs in 9 days. I eat VERY clean, no crap. I am starving!!!! What can I do?

sounds like you are eating clean and starving..or did I miss something?
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options

So then the statement food = energy is true . . .

So why is anyone debating it???

Food does provide energy (except for soluble fiber, and water, if you consider water food), however it provides more than energy.
  • kyta32
    Options
    Omg i don't mean dirty ffs. I just mean good, whole, healthy. No need to be a douche

so i am a "douche" for pointing out that there is no "bad" food and you can eat ice cream…hmmmm OK ..

Please remember that not everyone holds the same opinions/beliefs as you do towards food.

No, it isn't.

Like most of your "facts", that is incorrect. Food contains many things, including water, vitamins and minerals. It's not just energy/calories via macronutrients.

For all the time you spend insulting, mocking, name-calling and laughing at others, you are almost always wrong. The insults do not now, nor did they ever, nor will they ever mean that you are right.

Regardless of what food is made up of . . . our bodies use all of it for fuel to get our energy. We don't get energy from any other sources . . if you stop eating, you get tired and sluggish and fatigued. Just like when your car runs out of gas it stops going right? Same concept.
    It doesn't matter what is in the food we eat at all - well it does for nutritional purposes, which is your water, vitamins, minerals, etc argument but in terms of our bodies using it, we use pretty much all of it for fuel. What matters is that we use it to keep going, or in other terms, we use it to fuel ourselves.
    In "terms of our body using it", the water is more vital than any of it...and contains no calories. However, we could get water without food.

In "terms of our body using it", those vitamins, minerals (no etc.) are important. Those micros are as important as the much-touted macros.

For weight loss, it doesn't matter. You can eat absolutely nothing and lose weight.

what do you think that your body uses macros and micros for? It breaks them down for ENERGY to use in bodily functions like building muscle, breathing, digesting, brain function ....

Your body uses protein and to build muscles, enzymes for digesting, and hormones regulate many systems (i.e. brain chemistry). When fat and protein is oxidized or turned into glucose (used for energy) it can no longer be used to make things like muscles, enzymes, and hormones. Some of the fat and most of the protein you eat goes to non-energy requirements.

As I said, protein, fat, and micronutrients. Food provides more than energy.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Food = energy ...yes, or no
    No. You got the science, the math or both wrong.

apparently, some people do not understand basic human anatomy and how food is used for energy.
    Are you seriously suggesting that you have taken a college-level A&P class?
    He'd never heard of Michael Pollan before today. :|
    But he's so much smarter than we are! How is that possible?

Must be my oft-mentioned stupidity and inability to understand anything that prevents me from realizing how the answer must be that it is because I'm an idiot who cannot understand his "Science!"

awwww look the white knight crew has banded together to gang up on me...

isn't that your definition of bullying????
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Food provides energy.

so what else does food do when you eat it? food provides humans with energy that is how we nourish ourselves..

The key word is "and". It isn't whether food provides energy, the debate is whether or not food ONLY provides energy. That's ridiculous in my opinion.

my assertion was that food = energy ..to which I got several replies that was "false"...

Actually, your assertion was "its not an opinion ..food = energy ..nothing else..that is a fact...".

I made the comment that food is not "good" or "bad" that food is energy that your body uses to fuel itself..

-
    to which my reply was no, food is in fact energy, that is a fact, not opinion ..

its on page 2 ...

Okay, so there were some deleted comments I guess and I dug through the quotes. I understand where you are coming from. Food does equal energy...that's true. Much more as well, but I see the context now.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    I also want to say, I am not TRYING to lose a lb a day, for whatever reason that is just what has happened. I have my goal at 2lbs/ week which I think is a healthy weight loss.

If you're still finding yourself hungry much of the time, then 2 pounds a week may be too aggressive a goal for you. When I started, I set my loss to a 2 pound a week goal, but I found myself being hungry most of the time. So I took some advice from someone here and adjusted my settings to lose one pound per week. I was much happier after that and have been losing pretty steadily ever since.

• kyta32
    Options

No, it isn't.

Water is actually more essential than food. I would die after only a few days without water. With water, I could live for a month or more, before dying of micronutrient (not energy) deficiency. The body needs micronutrients and water at least as much as it needs energy, if not more.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Food provides energy.

-

its on page 2 ...

Okay, so there were some deleted comments I guess and I dug through the quotes. I understand where you are coming from. Food does equal energy...that's true. Much more as well, but I see the context now.

its all good man ...I don't know why I am even arguing this anymore as it has turned into a circular firing squat...
  • Hornsby
    Options

Food provides energy.

-

its on page 2 ...

its all good man ...I don't know why I am even arguing this anymore as it has turned into a circular firing squat...

I'm guessing it's because you argue about everything...
  • ndj1979
    Options

Food provides energy.

-

its on page 2 ...

I can't help it, I am Italian ..
  • ndj1979
    Options

No, it isn't.

As I said, protein, fat, and micronutrients. Food provides more than energy.

ok, and where do you get protein, fat, and micros from???
  • Hornsby
    Options

Food provides energy.

-

its on page 2 ...

Ha, I figured you were 5'5 with Napoleon complex...
  • ndj1979
    edited January 2015
    Options

Food provides energy.

-

its on page 2 ...

Ha, I figured you were 5'5 with Napoleon complex...

damn, ouch ..

na 5-10 ...
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Firing squat!