Would anyone like to join me for a "Just for Today" goals for the month of January

Options

Replies

• mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,205 Member
    Options
    loujen1 wrote: »
    Not sure if I can join you by typing in this box but I read all of your posts and I love the concept you live by, just for today!
    I dusted off my elliptical this morning and actually used it for 30 minutes, I've had great difficulty I'm moving this body for lack of energy and motivation but I've done a great job daily on logging my food intake however the needle on the scale appears too be stuck!
    I'm 78 and can't even believe I'm still working on this issue of weight, I've struggled all of my life and continue to yo yo.
    I need to lose 40 pounds and there's nothing I want more than to accomplish that so now all I need to do is figure out what needs to be done to make that happen, I'm in charge here and I've come too far to take orders from a cookie!
    God has given me today and I made good use of it, I'm grateful!
    If I'm given tomorrow I'll show my gratitude by doing another 30 minute elliptical session!

Would love to have you join us! I am 64, and like you, have struggled with weight my entire life. My biggest problem is eating after 8pm. I can do OK all day, but its the evenings that get me in trouble. I am trying to cut down on sugar, as for me, sugar leads to binge eating, cravings, etc. Good for you doing 30 minutes on the ellipitical!!
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,205 Member
    Options
    losingrae wrote: »

Just for Today 01/07:
    1. Log everything I eat :)
    2. Do 10 minutes of meditation :( didn't even think about it til I was in bed
    3. stay positive :( struggling with this one as well

Just for Today 01/08
    1. Do 10 minutes of meditation
    2. log everything I eat
    3. Just breathe, all things will pass.

I need to start with the meditation. How do you do this? Do you just relax and listen to music, or do you have something you read? Nite time is my worse time - so I really need to find something to help me get through those evening hours. I'm thinking maybe doing some meditation, but don't know where to begin learning this.
  • losingrae
    losingrae Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    joan6630 wrote: »

I need to start with the meditation. How do you do this? Do you just relax and listen to music, or do you have something you read? Nite time is my worse time - so I really need to find something to help me get through those evening hours. I'm thinking maybe doing some meditation, but don't know where to begin learning this.

Joan, I read the book 10% Happier by Bill Harris. He talks about his journey to meditate. Basically, I set a timer and sit in a quiet room and try to keep my head clear. The book is an excellent read and by hearing his struggles, it helps when you are trying to do it and your mind wanders. The number one thing he tells you is to not give up. Eventually, you can clear your mind. The whole goal is once you have that type of control, then you can control the monsters in your head. Which is what I'm looking to get to!
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 35,899 Member
    Options

Just for Today 01/07:
    1. Log everything I eat :)
    2. Do 10 minutes of meditation :( didn't even think about it til I was in bed
    3. stay positive :( struggling with this one as well

Just for Today 01/08
    1. Do 10 minutes of meditation
    2. log everything I eat
    3. Just breathe, all things will pass.

I was also thinking about doing the same BUT the trouble my mind wonders too! With so much going on in my life right now, ugh!
  • sherichele
    sherichele Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    i am in!!! Just for today i will try not to get discouraged and will LOG everything good and bad
  • loujen1
    loujen1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Not sure if I can join you by typing in this box but I read all of your posts and I love the concept you live by, just for today!
    I dusted off my elliptical this morning and actually used it for 30 minutes, I've had great difficulty I'm moving this body for lack of energy and motivation but I've done a great job daily on logging my food intake however the needle on the scale appears too be stuck!
    I'm 78 and can't even believe I'm still working on this issue of weight, I've struggled all of my life and continue to yo yo.
    I need to lose 40 pounds and there's nothing I want more than to accomplish that so now all I need to do is figure out what needs to be done to make that happen, I'm in charge here and I've come too far to take orders from a cookie!
    God has given me today and I made good use of it, I'm grateful!
    If I'm given tomorrow I'll show my gratitude by doing another 30 minute elliptical session!

Would love to have you join us! I am 64, and like you, have struggled with weight my entire life. My biggest problem is eating after 8pm. I can do OK all day, but its the evenings that get me in trouble. I am trying to cut down on sugar, as for me, sugar leads to binge eating, cravings, etc. Good for you doing 30 minutes on the ellipitical!!

I have a suggestion, after 8 which is your danger time, grab an apple to munch on or sugar free jello with some tea, it's worth a try !
  • RachelSD7
    RachelSD7 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I love this method. Thank you for starting a thread!
    Just for today, I took it easy on myself. I worked hard to keep my chin up, questioned my cravings (turned out I was cold, not hungry) and went to a fitness class I didn't want to go to. Had so much fun, and found my motivation to come home and eat a salad. I even squeezed in 20 push ups (with some motivation from my boyfriend). Tomorrow I'll squeeze in a little more exercise too!
  • loopeeta
    loopeeta Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    :D
  • Scott_2025
    Scott_2025 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Stay under my calorie goal. Get some time in the pool.. I feel so good after an hour of swimming...
  • babbalita
    babbalita Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Love it, what a great idea. Just for today=I will watch my calories, drink more water, believe in me.
  • loujen1
    loujen1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    RachelSD7 wrote: »
    Just for today, I took it easy on myself. I worked hard to keep my chin up, questioned my cravings (turned out I was cold, not hungry) and went to a fitness class I didn't want to go to. Had so much fun, and found my motivation to come home and eat a salad. I even squeezed in 20 push ups (with some motivation from my boyfriend). Tomorrow I'll squeeze in a little more exercise too!

Great job, be proud of yourself and do it again tomorrow!
  • loopeeta
    loopeeta Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just for today - up my water intake, walk at lunch (did that!), buy healthier snacks
  • Canuckgirl77
    Canuckgirl77 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    What a fantastic idea!

Jan 7/15
    Just for today:

1. I will make sure to log any item that goes in my mouth, no matter how small - :)
    2. I will be positive about the changes that I am making - :)
    3. I will do 60 mins of Zumba and love how hard it is - :)

Jan 8/15
    Just for today:

1. I will say "NO" to having something sweet late in the afternoon
    2. I will buy some extra fruits/veggies to take to work for snacks
  • kln92
    kln92 Posts: 1
    Options
    this is a great idea! just for today I will do yoga before I go to bed.
  • debtag69
    Options
    I am new to mfp and today I am over my calories by 35, I am finding it hard to maintain satisfaction. I am NOT a water drinker nor do I drink much of anything - tomorrow is a new day and I hope to stay under the calories, just for today, i forgive myself
  • Kdrules
    Kdrules Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Yesterday ---

1. DO not get discouraged. One day at a time. :'( Did not do this. I get so discouraged when the weight does not come off faster. Need to change the mindset.
    2. Look for a low - calorie item on the menu when eating out tonite with my friend. We are eating at a Mexican Restaurant - so choose something healthy. :):\ KInda - had a appetizer, chicken quesidella, which I guessed as low in calories. But gave in and had a margarita! Good, but later, wondering if it was worth the calories.
    3. Drink water :):)
    4. Walk around the mall to get in my walking after eating out tonite. :):) 45 minutes of walking after dinner!

Just for today, 1/8

1. I am really struggling with keeping my sugar low, so need to concentratate on NO Sugar.
    2. Do not become obsessed with what the scale says. Just concentrate on eating healthy.
    3. Drink more water

I love so much reading everyone's posts. And yes Jackie -- so excited about your new little granddaughter to come soon!!!

• chitchatcatt
    chitchatcatt Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Just for today, I will NOT eat that whole pan of homemade rice krispie treats. I only ate two today, I will eat the rest tomorrow. (Just kidding)
  • Kdrules
    Options
    Today was great as far as my new life style change. I meditated i ate every 3 hours or do i stuck to plan i am following the 100 by jorge cruise. No more than 100 sugar calories. I walked for 10 minutes.. now i am laying here full and happy. Oh yeah most important i took time for myself today by writing goals showing with my good smelling shower gel and bought me some pj's. Thank God for good days
    I have 100 pounds to go. Hopefully by next week i will report i lossed some weight. I am hoping for a 5 pound first week lost
  • Kdrules
    Options
    RachelSD7 wrote: »

Great job, be proud of yourself and do it again tomorrow!
    Just for today, I will NOT eat that whole pan of homemade rice krispie treats. I only ate two today, I will eat the rest tomorrow. (Just kidding)

• Kdrules
    Options
    Funny