Getting into a calorie surplus can be hard for some

Options
I know a lot of people on here already know me, but I will give my stats anyway. I'm 20, just under 5'8" and hover around 120-123 pounds.

Even though I've never gained any muscle before, here is a list of reasons why I'm choosing to bulk at a slower than optimal pace.

1. I feel like I hit the jackpot when it comes to my metabolism (I think I can maintain my weight on more calories per pound of bodyweight than most other guys of the same age and activity level). Without trying, people around me are jealous of how much I eat (considering I am quite sedentary outside of weight training). Obviously when appetite comes into play it's not such a blessing with bulking. Also, due to sensitivity with my digestive system and also with the types of foods I already eat, a lot of the typical suggestions for significantly increasing calories won't work for me. I don't want eating to feel like a chore, and given the long history I have of a sensitive digestive system I certainly don't want to feel bloated or put a lot more strain on it.

2. On a related note, I have to admit that there's a part of me that wants to continue riding this "fast metabolism" out as long as I can (I know with time it probably won't be this way). I mean, it is kind of cool after all to just eat however much food I want (with what my appetite allows), not do a whole lot of exercise (I'm quite sedentary outside of training), and not have to watch my weight.

3. The six pack. I was blessed with low enough body fat automatically for a six pack. Rather than try to do a notable bulk and then cut, I feel like I'm in a position to attempt gaining weight without losing the six pack.

4. This is really should not be a legit reason, but it's not helping either. I gotta say, I don't think some of my family members understand how bulking really works. They think I'm already eating enough food to bulk, even though in reality I'm only maintaining. In other words, if I start eating 400-500 calories over maintenance they'd probably think I'm losing my mind.

As some of you know, my views towards food is different from the general consensus here. I can eat regular commercial donuts served somewhere as refreshments, but I don't think of it as being "real food". In other words, I think of some foods as being healthy and others as being unhealthy. I was told in another thread that I'll "never be able to bulk until I get over this mentality". As it is, I do eat some foods regularly that I don't think of as being all that healthy (but not necessarily that unhealthy either), and if I didn't I'd be in a caloric deficit due to feeling full all the time. But the problem with increasing my intake of these foods is that I'm already not even eating enough non-starchy vegetables for some micronutrient needs, which of course are fairly filling. So, I'd be interested to hear how I should change my perception about food when I'm not even eating enough of the right things.

My plan right now is to bulk at about 1 pound per month for the next couple months, and once the spring rolls around I'll get outside and do my favorite cardio exercise. The reason why I'm thinking I would end this mini bulk there is because of appetite and digestive issues, as I know I would need to be eating even more calories then. At some later point I'll most likely plan on bulking more.

Replies

• tinbru
    tinbru Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You're to skinny... I'd go to McDonald's everyday if I was u
    Srs...

Not srs....
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    So in a nutshell you're going on a 2 pound bulk, then you're going to run it off again in spring?
    Cool.
  • jbgolf52
    jbgolf52 Posts: 210 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    This is the definition of wheel-spinning. One pound per month? You do know that your scale weight can fluctuate up to 3-5lbs daily due to water retention, food you recently ate, and if you are backed up or not? Granted, I do know much about you but it seems to me like you have disordered eating. What stomach issues do you have? I have a sensitive stomach as well and suffer from gastroparesis and chronic constipation but you know what helps make them go away? Gaining weight, getting to a good weight, and maintaining it, all the while getting enough calories consistently over the day (no IF). I used to be 150lbs at 5'10 but dropped to a low of 123lbs due to my stomach issues. I'm currently 132lbs and looking to get up to 165lbs and aiming for bulking 1lb/week until I hit 140-145 then 0.5lbs/week because being underweight stresses your digestion a lot, especially on top of existing stomach conditions.

What is your maintenance calorie level and how many fruits and vegetables do you eat? A classic sign of disordered eating is eating a ton of food volume (ex: mounds of vegetables) as necessary to get in at the expense of overall calories. I bet you can maintain on more calories if you ate less volume and gave your body the proper fuel it deserves. Again, I do not know you as I'm not a regular on the forum, so I apologize in advance if this is not the case. But to me it just seems like you fear food.

Regarding #2: your metabolism doesn't slow down or stop once you reach your goal weight, in fact you will require more calories to maintain your higher weight so you would get to eat even more.

#3: Ever heard of the saying that abs on a skinny guy don't count? It's natural to have abs at such a low bodyweight as you have no fat on you. If you had abs on you with another forty pounds added to your frame then you would have solid abs, but right now you don't.

Also, you're 20yrs old. No offense but girls don't want to date guys skinnier than they are, plus being underweight like you are gives them a sign that you wouldn't be able to protect them. Wouldn't you rather be strong and lean at 160-170lbs?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    So in a nutshell you're going on a 2 pound bulk, then you're going to run it off again in spring?
    Cool.

:laugh:
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    So, I'd be interested to hear how I should change my perception about food when I'm not even eating enough of the right things.

No, you're not. You're just flame baiting at this point.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    You've already gotten a lot of advice in other peoples' threads.

You are overly focused on only eating healthy and are likely getting way more micronutrients in than are actually needed, but you still insist on nutrient dense food only. Calorie intakes are estimates, and calorie burns are estimates. You can calculate what your expected burn is and eat above that. If you don't gain weight, eat more. It's the same problems others have with not losing. If they calculate their burn and eat at a deficit and don't lose, then they need to eat fewer calories.

You don't have a magic metabolism. You might burn more than the calories predict, but it's just an estimate. If you want to gain weight, eat more than that.

An incredibly slow bulk will likely just lead to frustration. You seem to insist on that despite many opinions of how it will just be a waste of time. If you would like to spin your wheels, you've found the perfect way to do that.

What was the point of this thread?
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I find this post very strange - you are 5ft 8 in. and you weigh around 120. You need to gain some weight to reach a healthy weight for a man - bulking is a term used for lifters who want significant muscle gains. You are at the low end for a very small framed women. Also you state "if I start eating 400-500 calories over maintenance they'd probably think I'm losing my mind". Why in the heck would anyone in your family be looking so closely at what your eating to notice such a small increase in consumption? I'm sure you already know this but you don't have to compromise nutrition to gain weight - skip the donuts you seem to be worried about and stock up on nuts, avocados, high protein/high calorie shakes, peanut butter etc. There are healthy options galore.
  • beastcompany
    beastcompany Posts: 230 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    You don't have some miracle metabolism.
    You just don't eat enough.

Same as every other "hardgainer".

Additionally, having abs when you weigh 120lbs and are 5'8 is not an accomplishment...it's malnourishment.

Anyone can be "skinny".

There is a difference between being "skinny" and being FIT.
    Abs are pointless if you have no muscle mass.

You don't look healthy.

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    You have capacity for greater than 1lb per month gains. You're largely untrained and underweight. Eat, lift heavy things, repeat.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I hope you keep at eye open to the reactions and responses you are getting and remember the conversations you and I have had.

agree
  • ndj1979
    Options
    OP - one pound per month equates to a .25 per week gain, that is nothing.

You really need to shoot for AT LEAST a .5 pound per week gain. Gaining weight is not easy. I started my first bulk in October of 2014 at 176 pounds. Back then I upped calories by 250 a week from 2500 to 2750; then I had to go o 2850 then to 2950 and then now I am hitting between 3000 to 3100 calories a day. Even with adding all of those extra calories my current weight is 182 pounds, which over fourth months of increased eating has only resulted in a six pound gain, which is just about .5 per week..actually a little less.

My point is that gaining weight and muscle is NOT easy, and you really have to work at it. Everyone on the main forums thinks that they can just eat 1200 calories a day and they are somehow gaining muscle because thy are not losing, which is total BS…or they think that one day of "bad eating" (whatever that is) is going to wreck their progress, or if they just eat the "right kinds" of foods that, that is the key to weight loss/health/etc.

At your current height and weight you need to shoot for one pound per week gain and bulk for the next six to eight months. At your age, you need to take advantage of your natural ability to build muscle. If you follow the advice that you have been given then you will be absolutely shredded in about six months; if not, then you will just keep complaining about skinny arms, and I can't eat this, or won't eat this, and this is bad for me etc etc..

and your family will notice if you eat more, really? Why is that even a consideration. You are an adult, you can do, and eat, whatever you want….

I truly hope you take the advice you are given and take advantage of it…I wish I would of bulked when I was 20….instead I did not get into fitness until i was 25 and the first few years of that I fell victim to all the BS broscience about clean eating, no carbs after 6 pm, six small meals a day, circuit training and cardio, bla bla bla….< yes, i lost weight doing that and I have kept it off..but I am way more happy with my physique, eating habits, etc, now, then I was back then…
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    There's not really much point in trying to change your perceptions as you've had loads of great advice on here that you just argue with.

What your doing is more of a 'recomp' ATM and if you're happy with that then stick with it (and all your 'healthy' food).

It's a shame as, a) you don't seem happy with it or you wouldn't keep asking for advice and b) your wasting what is probably the best time in your life to make serious gains. You rave about your metabolism, it isn't unique - you're a 20 year old male with loads of testosterone and energy, that's not going to last forever.

You've been advised before but here's one more, use this time in your life (when you have hormones a plenty and no real responsibilities) to pack on some serious muscle - EAT EVERYTHING and LIFT EVERYTHING! You could achieve in one bulk what will probably take me about 10 years :(

Or not. If you're happy with what you're doing, carry on. We'd probably rather you didn't try to advise others, who want to bulk, to do the same as you though.

edit: the comment about your family not understanding how much you are eating makes no sense to me - I have 18 and 21 yr old daughters who swarm through my kitchen like locusts (the same way I and my brother did at that age), seems like very normal behaviour to me. If you were my son, I'd be concerned about how underweight you are.
  • tholder3103
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    OP - one pound per month equates to a .25 per week gain, that is nothing.

You really need to shoot for AT LEAST a .5 pound per week gain. Gaining weight is not easy. I started my first bulk in October of 2014 at 176 pounds. Back then I upped calories by 250 a week from 2500 to 2750; then I had to go o 2850 then to 2950 and then now I am hitting between 3000 to 3100 calories a day. Even with adding all of those extra calories my current weight is 182 pounds, which over fourth months of increased eating has only resulted in a six pound gain, which is just about .5 per week..actually a little less.

My point is that gaining weight and muscle is NOT easy, and you really have to work at it. Everyone on the main forums thinks that they can just eat 1200 calories a day and they are somehow gaining muscle because thy are not losing, which is total BS…or they think that one day of "bad eating" (whatever that is) is going to wreck their progress, or if they just eat the "right kinds" of foods that, that is the key to weight loss/health/etc.

At your current height and weight you need to shoot for one pound per week gain and bulk for the next six to eight months. At your age, you need to take advantage of your natural ability to build muscle. If you follow the advice that you have been given then you will be absolutely shredded in about six months; if not, then you will just keep complaining about skinny arms, and I can't eat this, or won't eat this, and this is bad for me etc etc..

and your family will notice if you eat more, really? Why is that even a consideration. You are an adult, you can do, and eat, whatever you want….

I truly hope you take the advice you are given and take advantage of it…I wish I would of bulked when I was 20….instead I did not get into fitness until i was 25 and the first few years of that I fell victim to all the BS broscience about clean eating, no carbs after 6 pm, six small meals a day, circuit training and cardio, bla bla bla….< yes, i lost weight doing that and I have kept it off..but I am way more happy with my physique, eating habits, etc, now, then I was back then…
    3laine75 wrote: »
    There's not really much point in trying to change your perceptions as you've had loads of great advice on here that you just argue with.

What your doing is more of a 'recomp' ATM and if you're happy with that then stick with it (and all your 'healthy' food).

It's a shame as, a) you don't seem happy with it or you wouldn't keep asking for advice and b) your wasting what is probably the best time in your life to make serious gains. You rave about your metabolism, it isn't unique - you're a 20 year old male with loads of testosterone and energy, that's not going to last forever.

You've been advised before but here's one more, use this time in your life (when you have hormones a plenty and no real responsibilities) to pack on some serious muscle - EAT EVERYTHING and LIFT EVERYTHING! You could achieve in one bulk what will probably take me about 10 years :(

Or not. If you're happy with what you're doing, carry on. We'd probably rather you didn't try to advise others, who want to bulk, to do the same as you though.

edit: the comment about your family not understanding how much you are eating makes no sense to me - I have 18 and 21 yr old daughters who swarm through my kitchen like locusts (the same way I and my brother did at that age), seems like very normal behaviour to me. If you were my son, I'd be concerned about how underweight you are.

I so agree with this
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    This is the definition of wheel-spinning. One pound per month? You do know that your scale weight can fluctuate up to 3-5lbs daily due to water retention, food you recently ate, and if you are backed up or not?
    This is why I try to weigh myself at around the same time each time. I'm aware that I'm lighter when I first wake up and heavier later in the day.
    What stomach issues do you have?
    I can't digest milk very well (although I can and do eat yogurt and cheese regularly). I also can't digest eggs in a concentrated amount (I can eat eggs in products but can't do more than 1-2 scrambled eggs a week). Also, high sugar and fat together at certain times of the day can leave my system unsettled. I do think you may be right that putting on weight could help my system out, but again the concern is overloading it right now leading to bloating and other issues.
    What is your maintenance calorie level and how many fruits and vegetables do you eat?
    My maintenance is somewhere between 2000-2300 calories. I consider my diet to be relatively balanced. As for fruits and vegetables (excluding potatoes), I eat about 2-3 servings of fruit on average and about 1 serving of vegetables a day (occasionally I don't even eat any vegetables). The rest of my diet is primarily comprised of whole grains, meats, nuts, dairy, and some lower nutrient dense foods. As far as micronutrients go, the whole grains and fruit probably make up the majority in my diet. I don't think anyone would suggest that 1 serving of vegetables is really enough, especially considering it's not like I'm eating 1500 calories.
    It was suggested that I make my own thread, as I've hijacked a number of threads already and I wanted to organize a lot of things together.
    Also you state "if I start eating 400-500 calories over maintenance they'd probably think I'm losing my mind". Why in the heck would anyone in your family be looking so closely at what your eating to notice such a small increase in consumption?
    It may depend on how I would increase my consumption. Like I said, it's not holding me back, but it just adds to the problems. They don't really understand how this works. In their eyes, they see what I eat and think I'm already eating plenty enough to gain muscle. Ask them how to bulk, and they'd probably say "lift heavy weights, eat plenty of protein" is all there really is to bulking. I think the value of carbs when it comes to bulking is also seriously misunderstood there as well. I have a feeling though they will have to see sooner or later that there's more to it than that. Appetite and digestion are the primary factors in why I was thinking I'd go slow, but if I can push through it to some extent I think it should be clear to them by the end of this winter that a calorie surplus is key. Even more so the case if I don't even manage to gain anything. Like I stated in another thread, spending time around people who have bulked would probably help out their perception tremendously.
  • tholder3103
    Options
    I am trying to bulk and have read some of the advice on this feed. I would have to say that i would never take the advice from you as a nutritionalist when i want to gain and bulk. You are obviously not very good in that area. If i wanted to maintain or lose weight, then sure I might seek a consultation, but you clearly have fallen down and hit your head if you think you are even going to be able to maintain what you have with what your plan and goal is. My metabolism is the same as yours and in trying to gain weight... (don't know if you've noticed, but it's not happening....) it's actually a curse. Mine is more so a curse because my geneology says that i'll be just as thin (if not more so) until i reach about 60 to 70 years of age. My mom, grandmother, aunt, uncle, all of us. I'm trying to break an ongoing chain. So, without further ado, I will wish you luck on your less than thought out plans, and i'm going to go get the biggest cheeseburger i can find. perhaps a triple meat baconator will fill me up, because typing this while thinking about what you are trying to do with your plan, just made me sorry for you and extremely hungry!!!
  • ndj1979
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Also you state "if I start eating 400-500 calories over maintenance they'd probably think I'm losing my mind". Why in the heck would anyone in your family be looking so closely at what your eating to notice such a small increase in consumption?
    It may depend on how I would increase my consumption. Like I said, it's not holding me back, but it just adds to the problems. They don't really understand how this works. In their eyes, they see what I eat and think I'm already eating plenty enough to gain muscle. Ask them how to bulk, and they'd probably say "lift heavy weights, eat plenty of protein" is all there really is to bulking. I think the value of carbs when it comes to bulking is also seriously misunderstood there as well. I have a feeling though they will have to see sooner or later that there's more to it than that. Appetite and digestion are the primary factors in why I was thinking I'd go slow, but if I can push through it to some extent I think it should be clear to them by the end of this winter that a calorie surplus is key. Even more so the case if I don't even manage to gain anything. Like I stated in another thread, spending time around people who have bulked would probably help out their perception tremendously.
    [/quote]

are you 20 or 10? If you are 20 then you can do whatever you want, eat whatever you want, and lift whatever you want.

it sounds to me like you have some underlying family issues that is preventing you from hitting your goals. You need to address why you are so concerned about what your family thinks of bulking.

My mom thinks it is nuts that I want to bulk and I just laughed at her and said don't worry about it, I got this …

• jbgolf52
    jbgolf52 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Dude, I deal with all the bloating, flatulence, constipation, and bathroom issues in the world, it all comes down to manning up and eating, which you clearly do not want to do. I recommend you see a therapist who specializes in eating disorders as you clearly have one. You fear food, fear fat gain, try to maintain an unhealthy bodyweight, say you're a unique snowflake when you're not, and try to rationalize irrational behavior. BTW, I eat more vegetables than you and still get in my bulking cals. I maintain around 2,000-2,100 and have been eating 2,650. I include things like ice cream, donuts, poptarts, etc to hit my calorie goal because at the end of the day, calories are all that matter. You can be the healthiest eater in the world but if you don't eat enough you will be doing your body more harm than good.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    This is the definition of wheel-spinning. One pound per month? You do know that your scale weight can fluctuate up to 3-5lbs daily due to water retention, food you recently ate, and if you are backed up or not?
    This is why I try to weigh myself at around the same time each time. I'm aware that I'm lighter when I first wake up and heavier later in the day.
    What stomach issues do you have?
    I can't digest milk very well (although I can and do eat yogurt and cheese regularly). I also can't digest eggs in a concentrated amount (I can eat eggs in products but can't do more than 1-2 scrambled eggs a week). Also, high sugar and fat together at certain times of the day can leave my system unsettled. I do think you may be right that putting on weight could help my system out, but again the concern is overloading it right now leading to bloating and other issues.
    What is your maintenance calorie level and how many fruits and vegetables do you eat?
    My maintenance is somewhere between 2000-2300 calories. I consider my diet to be relatively balanced. As for fruits and vegetables (excluding potatoes), I eat about 2-3 servings of fruit on average and about 1 serving of vegetables a day (occasionally I don't even eat any vegetables). The rest of my diet is primarily comprised of whole grains, meats, nuts, dairy, and some lower nutrient dense foods. As far as micronutrients go, the whole grains and fruit probably make up the majority in my diet. I don't think anyone would suggest that 1 serving of vegetables is really enough, especially considering it's not like I'm eating 1500 calories.
    It was suggested that I make my own thread, as I've hijacked a number of threads already and I wanted to organize a lot of things together.
    Misunderstood by who? You, them or all of you? You say it's misunderstood but you also have shown you don't understand it. What is it they think about carbs?

You want to bulk but you refuse to eat because you say you're not hungry. How will you bulk if you don't eat more? Zach

Have you ever spoken to anyone about any possible issues with ED?
    You work right? A weather forecaster right? So that means you make money so why would it matter to them if you spend some of it on food?
    Misunderstood by them. Lol, I'm pretty confident they'd say carbs is the last macronutrient I should increase. But I realize ndj is right, it really shouldn't matter to me.

I know you guys think I have issues with food, but man, you wouldn't even want to get them started on it. No one in my family (including myself) has any type of ED, but the viewpoint is so different. I mean, I personally think I understand a lot of concepts presented here more than they would.

Also, I actually don't have a paying job, so I'm still dependent on my parents for almost all my food. The weather forecasting I do is for a volunteer organization.