Getting into a calorie surplus can be hard for some

Options

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I'll increase "when..." just do it, or don't do it, but stop procastinating about it!
    The reason why I was delaying was that I'm basically on a little break from real lifting. The only real thing I've done in the last 6 days was one set each of floor presses and overhead presses to failure to see what my max is on those.

Just out of curiosity, why would you go til failure to test your 1rm? Or do you mean, you kept working up singles til you failed?
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'll make more of an effort right away then. I was going to get a workout in yesterday and then decided to have my muscles all "fresh" for when I get on the new program very soon.
    I'll increase "when..." just do it, or don't do it, but stop procastinating about it!
    The reason why I was delaying was that I'm basically on a little break from real lifting. The only real thing I've done in the last 6 days was one set each of floor presses and overhead presses to failure to see what my max is on those.

Just out of curiosity, why would you go til failure to test your 1rm? Or do you mean, you kept working up singles til you failed?
    Since I have an unusually high curiosity with trying to see how exactly I match up with strength standards (especially bench press), I decided to do as many reps as I could with the dumbbells I have. I know there's still going to be some error anyway since I could have possibly done a couple more floor presses when I stopped, and the reps were very high.

• johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Remember these words, you arent young forever. Pray that your metabolism keeps up as you get older.
  • ForecasterJason
    Options
    Remember these words, you arent young forever. Pray that your metabolism keeps up as you get older.
    Yeah. Not going to lie, that goes back to #2 that I talked about in my OP. That is the positive side of my "fast metabolism"; so many people in general have to watch their calorie intake, while at this point in my life I can enjoy eating whatever I want and don't have to worry about such a thing.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Not going to lie, that goes back to #2 that I talked about in my OP. That is the positive side of my "fast metabolism"; so many people in general have to watch their calorie intake, while at this point in my life I can enjoy eating whatever I want and don't have to worry about such a thing.
    you do need to worry about it- because you're seriously underweight.
    - you just think that because you aren't fat it's a problem that doesn't apply to you.

dude- I weigh almost 40 pounds more than you and lezbehonest... I look damn good. and I'm strong.

COME.ON.

see the light- please- just- SEE THE LIGHT- and walk to the cookies and ice cream.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    - you just think that because you aren't fat it's a problem that doesn't apply to you.

dude- I weigh almost 40 pounds more than you and lezbehonest... I look damn good. and I'm strong.

COME.ON.

see the light- please- just- SEE THE LIGHT- and walk to the cookies and ice cream.

For some odd reason I read that as lezbionic. Oyyyy.

ASIMO_and_Ellen--02-10-2006.jpg
  • JoRocka
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

COME.ON.

For some odd reason I read that as lezbionic. Oyyyy.

sometimes it's how you gotta roll.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Break from real lifting? LOL. You need a gym, stay in the free weight room and more Fritos.

Until you eat, you won't gain weight. Until you do some muscle building lifts, you won't gain muscle.

Freakin' 5 pages on this thread and probably 12 on another and you're still making the exact same mistakes as before.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Alternatively, take the necessary steps to remain active as you get older since that is a *MUCH* bigger factor in "metabolism" than just age.
  • ForecasterJason
    Options

Break from real lifting? LOL. You need a gym, stay in the free weight room and more Fritos.
    Lol, I called it a break from lifting since it bridges the gap between my own mockup training routine and the new routine.

• JoRocka
    Options

Lol, I called it a break from lifting since it bridges the gap between my own mockup training routine and the new routine.

you make my head hurt.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

you make my head hurt.

for realz...just eat some damn food man!
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm going to eat a sympathy burger and fries for him tonight. Hopefully I won't "wreck my health" by tomorrow. If I don't post here by tomorrow night, someone call 911
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

you make my head hurt.

for realz...just eat some damn food man!

...and/or lift some relatively heavy things...immediately. Figure out the "perfect" plan later...during your down time between your frequent and recurring times spent eating more things and lifting heavy things. It really is this simple.
  • ForecasterJason
    Options
    Obviously I haven't gotten anywhere in terms of actual muscle mass gain. But I'd say I've done some things right with my "program" to add at least 40 pounds (possibly near 50) to my leg press in 3 months, and I can leg press the entire stack of weights for 25 reps. Furthermore, at a lower weight I can leg press now with one leg what I started off doing with both legs. :)
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Obviously I haven't gotten anywhere in terms of actual muscle mass gain. But I'd say I've done some things right with my "program" to add at least 40 pounds (possibly near 50) to my leg press in 3 months, and I can leg press the entire stack of weights for 25 reps. Furthermore, at a lower weight I can leg press now with one leg what I started off doing with both legs. :)

strength gains do not equal muscle gain...

you can train your nervous system to be more efficient and lift heavier things, but that is not the same as gaining mass.

I can increase my deadlift weight while eating in a deficit..have I created more mass, no, I have just training my muscular system to be more efficient..

stop trying to rationalize and start eating more and lifting more...
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Strength gains are definitely a step in the right direction, but I can make strength gains while losing mass (I'm on a deficit).

Because you are underweight (and unhappy with your size), you need to start focusing on mass gains. The strength gains should continue through the process, but independently they aren't a good marker for your current goal of gaining mass.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    OP - are you getting the gist of this ..??????????????????????
    -
    eat more now
    start lifting more now
    stop making excuses
    stop rationalizing

A month from now you should not be positing the same thing over and over ...

I hope you now see that it was not just myself and mrm that were "picking on you" but that you actually do need to eat more and lift more...