Getting into a calorie surplus can be hard for some

Options

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    I always keep my own spreadsheet of everything I eat. While I don't officially chart down calories on it, I have a pretty solid idea (since a lot of those foods I tracked I eat regularly and/or in similar portions). There are occasional days here and there that I know bounce over 2500 or under 2100, but I am pretty confident that on average I've been eating 2100-2300 consistently.

Track on your log here and you might be surprised. I know I was.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    You might as well do this thoroughly now you've joined the madhouse. No more guessing, dial in those numbers, then you'll really get to know how you work for future cuts and bulks.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    If you can eat a bag of "unhealthy" Frito chips, why not eat a burger and fries?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I always keep my own spreadsheet of everything I eat. While I don't officially chart down calories on it, I have a pretty solid idea (since a lot of those foods I tracked I eat regularly and/or in similar portions). There are occasional days here and there that I know bounce over 2500 or under 2100, but I am pretty confident that on average I've been eating 2100-2300 consistently.

I will admit that I haven't read a lot that you have posted. Are you trying to bulk on 2100-2300?

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    You might as well do this thoroughly now you've joined the madhouse. No more guessing, dial in those numbers, then you'll really get to know how you work for future cuts and bulks.

All this^

If what you've been doing isn't working, then try this way that will...or at the very least, will give you more/better data to figure out what you need to do next. It's how I calculated my own TDEE...and not just based on some round numbers and short period of logging, but based on consistent (as) accurate (as they can be) records. I know exactly what I need to do to make progress towards my goals...(while acknowledging that my progress in bulking continues to move that target...because 195 pound guy inherently burns more than that same 170 pound guy.)
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    If you can eat a bag of "unhealthy" Frito chips, why not eat a burger and fries?
    You mean from fast food or a restaurant?
    Hornsby wrote:
    I will admit that I haven't read a lot that you have posted. Are you trying to bulk on 2100-2300?
    No, that's what I've been maintaining on.
    Granted, in relation to these 3 log entries late last week I did try to raise my calories by about 50-100.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Does is really matter where the burger and fries come from? You aren't equating some nasty garden burger as a burger are you?

You are also WAY underweight. Why are you only upping your calories in 50-100 increments? That WELL within margins of error here.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    You mean from fast food or a restaurant?
    Hornsby wrote:
    No, that's what I've been maintaining on.
    Granted, in relation to these 3 log entries late last week I did try to raise my calories by about 50-100.

50-100? You need to be increasing your calories by 500!
  • ForecasterJason
    Options
    Does is really matter where the burger and fries come from? You aren't equating some nasty garden burger as a burger are you?
    Well then if you mean any burger with fries, I'm already doing so. Whether it's a hamburger, bison burger, chicken burger, or salmon burger, usually at least 2-3 times a week I do eat these at home with fries (like those Safeway ones I had on Saturday).
    You are also WAY underweight. Why are you only upping your calories in 50-100 increments? That WELL within margins of error here.
    That was what I started doing several days ago when I changed up my training routine to include more volume. I am definitely planning on going for a higher surplus once I get started on the new training program.

• Wheelhouse15
    Options
    Well then if you mean any burger with fries, I'm already doing so. Whether it's a hamburger, bison burger, chicken burger, or salmon burger, usually at least 2-3 times a week I do eat these at home with fries (like those Safeway ones I had on Saturday).
    That was what I started doing several days ago when I changed up my training routine to include more volume. I am definitely planning on going for a higher surplus once I get started on the new training program.

Sounds good, are you planning on going to your campus gym for the new program?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

for now, I would suggest a MINIMUM increase of 100 calories…

when do you plan to increase again?

ideally you should be increasing 100 every week...
  • ForecasterJason
    Options
    I will be sticking with my home gym using the program Sara is working on for me.
    ndj1979 wrote: »

I should be able to handle that. I'll increase once I get started on the new program.

• ndj1979
    Options
    I will be sticking with my home gym using the program Sara is working on for me.

I should be able to handle that. I'll increase once I get started on the new program.

I think you needed to start two weeks ago …you are already under weight and 100 calories a day is nothing..

so go ahead and start now and see how you fee. …

I mean 100 calories a day is the equivalent of eating like one cookie….are you saying you can't eat like one cookie a day for a week..???
  • ForecasterJason
    Options

I think you needed to start two weeks ago …you are already under weight and 100 calories a day is nothing..

I mean 100 calories a day is the equivalent of eating like one cookie….are you saying you can't eat like one cookie a day for a week..???
    That I can do, or an extra handful of nuts.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Nuts? Cookie monster is so sad... https://youtube.com/watch?v=Vg1UxpUezLE
  • ndj1979
    Options

whatever floats your boat …

you just need to get used to eating more….

• amandarunning
    amandarunning Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I'll increase "when..." just do it, or don't do it, but stop procastinating about it!
  • ForecasterJason
    Options
    I'll increase "when..." just do it, or don't do it, but stop procastinating about it!
    The reason why I was delaying was that I'm basically on a little break from real lifting. The only real thing I've done in the last 6 days was one set each of floor presses and overhead presses to failure to see what my max is on those.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    The reason why I was delaying was that I'm basically on a little break from real lifting. The only real thing I've done in the last 6 days was one set each of floor presses and overhead presses to failure to see what my max is on those.

come on man! You are already underweight and would benefit from the increased calories, regardless of whether or not you are working out currently...

STOP MAKING EXCUSES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!