Getting into a calorie surplus can be hard for some

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    annoying-gym-newbies-meme-generator-advised-to-eat-more-nah-i-don-t-wanna-get-fat-b9f9b8.jpg

lol
  • ndj1979
    Options
    OP - did you add in that extra 100 calories a day yet????
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Yeah, pretty much.
    I'm not trying to make this an excuse, but I did want to discuss metabolisms further. I'd venture to say my BMR is most likely higher than what most calculators suggest. According to the MFP app, I should be able to gain a half pound a week eating 2160 calories, which is simply not right. Given my activity level is rather low (unless I'm burning that much more through fidgeting), I would think this is a difference in BMR instead of overall TDEE.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Yeah, pretty much.
    I'm not trying to make this an excuse, but I did want to discuss metabolisms further. I'd venture to say my BMR is most likely higher than what most calculators suggest. According to the MFP app, I should be able to gain a half pound a week eating 2160 calories, which is simply not right. Given my activity level is rather low (unless I'm burning that much more through fidgeting), I would think this is a difference in BMR instead of overall TDEE.

You won't really know until you find a calorie level where you actually start putting on a measurable amount of weight. All of the calculators are estimates for everyone. They work better for some people more so than others. If you aren't gaining, add more calories.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    annoying-gym-newbies-meme-generator-advised-to-eat-more-nah-i-don-t-wanna-get-fat-b9f9b8.jpg

:laugh:
  • ForecasterJason
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Yeah, pretty much.

You won't really know until you find a calorie level where you actually start putting on a measurable amount of weight. All of the calculators are estimates for everyone. They work better for some people more so than others. If you aren't gaining, add more calories.
    Ok.

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Yeah, pretty much.

Just eat...

Calculators tell me my TDEE is 2900.. I'm maintaining on 3600 and no cardio. Dealwithit.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Yeah, pretty much.

My TDEE without exercise is ~3100. (Even with my usual minimal exercise it's about ~3300.) So you know what I had to do to add mass? Eat even more. MFP thinks I should be adding pounds each week at that amount of food. Do you think I adjusted my eating to coincide with what MFP thinks? Of course not. I kept packing away the food because I had my own calculations based on daily food and weight logs...so now instead of weighing 170ish pounds like I did last summer, I weigh 195ish pounds.

The calculator has absolutely no bearing on the answer to your problem...which is that you aren't eating enough food. Same answer that was given earlier. Same answer that will be given in the future.

Our seemingly relatively high BMRs isn't some kind of badge of honor. It's just a factor that needs to be considered in determining what needs to be done to reach our goals.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    I tried to look up the calorie count for fidgeting but no luck
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Can everyone just stop bragging about their super high metabolisms?! Kthx!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

5318859212_6e52c38d1f_z.jpg

But seriously...

you_jelly__by_canned_bads-d351h0s.jpg
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    This thread still going? Has anyone advised the OP to eat more?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

<-- 2200 calories to maintain right here.

• AKDonF
    AKDonF Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Cortelli wrote: »
    This thread still going? Has anyone advised the OP to eat more?

I don't know...lol... I wonder if OP has read this EVER???http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/muscle-gain-mistakes.html/
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Yeah, pretty much.
    Why do you think that matters? (I realize that sounds negative, but I'm asking as a serious question). If you have a high BMR and you're not gaining, you need to eat more. If you have a low BMR and you're not gaining, the answer is still...eat more. People gained and lost weight before they understood how calories worked.

• ForecasterJason
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Ok, so I see there are enough others here whose BMR is above average.
    Either way, today has been a great day. I'm pretty sure I'll end the day eating more than if it was a few weeks ago. And I also got a 20-25 minute workout in earlier, which I think may have ramped up my appetite a bit. :)

AliceDark wrote: »
    Yeah, pretty much.
    Why do you think that matters? (I realize that sounds negative, but I'm asking as a serious question). If you have a high BMR and you're not gaining, you need to eat more. If you have a low BMR and you're not gaining, the answer is still...eat more. People gained and lost weight before they understood how calories worked.
    Calorie needs is something I've been fascinated by a bit for some time. From my understanding, muscle to fat ratio plays a big role in how some people of similar size and activity level can have different calorie needs. I have long theorized that if I had 12% body fat as opposed to 8% (but still same weight) perhaps my BMR would be about 25-50 calories lower than it is.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    JUST EAT THE DAMN FOOD BRO.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for realz….
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    JUST EAT THE DAMN FOOD BRO.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for realz….

yes
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I see there are enough others here whose BMR is above average.
    Either way, today has been a great day. I'm pretty sure I'll end the day eating more than if it was a few weeks ago. And I also got a 20-25 minute workout in earlier, which I think may have ramped up my appetite a bit. :)

AliceDark wrote: »
    Yeah, pretty much.
    Calorie needs is something I've been fascinated by a bit for some time. From my understanding, muscle to fat ratio plays a big role in how some people of similar size and activity level can have different calorie needs. I have long theorized that if I had 12% body fat as opposed to 8% (but still same weight) perhaps my BMR would be about 25-50 calories lower than it is.

I wouldn't worry about the minutia right now. Just eat more till you start gaining then keep going till you get to where you want. Adjust calories upwards as required to account for your higher weight as you go. It's so easy hundreds of millions of people are doing it as we discuss this and they aren't even trying.