Getting into a calorie surplus can be hard for some

Options

Replies

• jbgolf52
    jbgolf52 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I plan to.

Nice man. But you do realize that you have to EAT! Your stomach issues will most likely go away as you gain weight, and none of this 1lb a month, that's not a plan at all. Aim for 2-4lbs, 4lbs preferably until you hit 145-150 then go to 0.5lbs per week. You are in a great situation for gains but are cutting yourself short with your current plan.

• amandarunning
    amandarunning Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    There's a TV programme over here in the UK called "Supersize versus Superskinny" and, almost without exception, the most honest individuals about their weight issues, their causes and their responsibility for them, were the big ones. The skinny ones were all full of excuses and in all honesty liked being skinny and wore it as a badge of honour...rarely did they achieve as much in changing their weight as the big ones.

Reading your comments on this thread reminded me of that programme.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm 20, just under 5'8" and hover around 120-123 pounds.

I'm sad for you.
    at 5'8" you should weigh much closer to 160 pounds- you aren't "blessed to have abs" honestly. ... you should be genuinely concerned about how under weight you are.

here's me at 155ish last year- same height as you
    696ef57f-ddaa-4383-99a7-39700a41af7c_zps3af3dce3.jpg

Just took these in my kitchen- I'm about 7 pounds heavier- post bulk- technically pre bulk weight- still not as shredded- why- because I'm bigger. (and stronger)
    Still look good though
    20150110_152041_zpsiha1pvvw.jpg

no- abs aren't as fierce but did you check out these quads???

20150110_152133_zpsqb9tiiff.jpg

which means- i'm pretty sure I'm bigger than you- and that's just- sad.
    20150110_151759_zps2wphwkj3.jpg
    BULK ALREADY PLEASE.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I have so much quad envy right now!
  • jbgolf52
    Options
    Amen to what Jo said. Good job on the bulk, it definitely paid off!
  • JoRocka
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »
    I have so much quad envy right now!

As well you should.
    Hercules and Xena... so you know- anything that has names like that ;)
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Looking really great JoRocka!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    =D
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    At 19 I started out at 126lbs at almost 5'7". By the time I was 20, I gained 30lbs. How? I ate lots of foods INCLUDING fast food and pizza. The next year 21, I competed in my first contest. Didn't place in the top 5 (or 10 for that matter), but I still came in lean.
    So if you want to gain weight, you need to eat a good surplus. The whole "clean" eating surplus is tough to do and it's A LOT of food to eat. Calories are what matter so the more calorie dense you can eat, the more you can put on.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • JoRocka
    Options
    *nods*

thank you thank you.

I'm a picture/post *kitten*- I'm not even sorry about it. But I am really glad I took pictures before I ate and then drank two cups of tea LOL. I forgot how short my hair was last year too!! LOL
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I'm 20, just under 5'8" and hover around 120-123 pounds.

I'm sad for you.
    at 5'8" you should weigh much closer to 160 pounds- you aren't "blessed to have abs" honestly. ... you should be genuinely concerned about how under weight you are.

here's me at 155ish last year- same height as you
    696ef57f-ddaa-4383-99a7-39700a41af7c_zps3af3dce3.jpg

Just took these in my kitchen- I'm about 7 pounds heavier- post bulk- technically pre bulk weight- still not as shredded- why- because I'm bigger. (and stronger)
    Still look good though
    20150110_152041_zpsiha1pvvw.jpg

no- abs aren't as fierce but did you check out these quads???

20150110_152133_zpsqb9tiiff.jpg

which means- i'm pretty sure I'm bigger than you- and that's just- sad.
    20150110_151759_zps2wphwkj3.jpg
    BULK ALREADY PLEASE.

Dam girl!!!!!!!

Dem quadz!!!!

I'm saving these for private time later...bahahahaha jk
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    OP, you say you don't have an ED, but your posts scream orthorexia.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Dam girl!!!!!!!

Dem quadz!!!!

I'm saving these for private time later...bahahahaha jk

i know right- they are coming right along- which my effing hammy's would catch up!! LOL.
    - oh well.

Bah- don't save those- I have better ones- Just haven't posted- I'm a hot mess- like 5 hours of sleep after work last night and 3 hours of rehearsal today.. normally I'm more picky about what I post- but I felt I needed to prove a point.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    aw thanks lovey... you should see the back though
    all fabulous- all hooouuugggeeee LMAO. because everyone likes a big back.
    -
    ;)
    *nods*

(stop that you sicko's I'm talking about my sweet lat spread!)
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Eat a freakin pizza, burger, fries or a 1,000 calorie shake. For god's sake man
  • jbgolf52
    Options
    Eat a freakin pizza, burger, fries or a 1,000 calorie shake. For god's sake man

But then he can't be in his surplus of 100 cals per day, SMH....
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    in 4 pics of Jo
  • butterbear1980
    butterbear1980 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Have you run across the work of Matt Stone her has a bunch of Ebooks on Amazon for 1.99/ea he has pretty awesome explanation for why digestion can slow on a restricted diet and why you become more sensitive to more foods over time.
    May be something you want to look into. And his Aggressive Refeed to heal is an awesome way to put on weight. The High Everything Diet. I did it and can now eat a bunch of foods I couldn't previously because of food "intolerance".
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I know it's baby steps, but I do think I will most likely ditch the 100 calorie surplus idea in favor of at least 200 calories.

And thanks for posting pics, Jo.
    mspunkyone wrote: »
    Have you run across the work of Matt Stone her has a bunch of Ebooks on Amazon for 1.99/ea he has pretty awesome explanation for why digestion can slow on a restricted diet and why you become more sensitive to more foods over time.
    May be something you want to look into. And his Aggressive Refeed to heal is an awesome way to put on weight. The High Everything Diet. I did it and can now eat a bunch of foods I couldn't previously because of food "intolerance".
    Thanks for the suggestion.