Getting into a calorie surplus can be hard for some

Options

Replies

• jbgolf52
    jbgolf52 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I know it's baby steps, but I do think I will most likely ditch the 100 calorie surplus idea in favor of at least 200 calories.

200? I highly recommend you see an eating disorder therapist as you definitely have an eating disorder. Matt Stone explains it well what you're going through and it would be worth it to read his stuff. Also, the fact that you don't address the people who say you have eating problems only further confirms that you do.

• butterbear1980
    butterbear1980 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    You do okay with hard cheese but not other dairy, that sounds like lactose intolerance in which case you should be able to have ghee which contains zero lactose put TABLESPOONS of ghee on a potato. So good! Rereading your digestive issues I really hope you read those books I'm not an expert so I won't get into what you can easily read in a book but in short some of your bloating/discomfort could be coming from eating too many veggies (I'm a veggie farmer so trust me I'm not hating on the veggies) and going through a short restorative period of time where you eat less nutrient dense foods and more calorie dense foods can actually help tour stomach out.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    jbgolf52 wrote: »
    I know it's baby steps, but I do think I will most likely ditch the 100 calorie surplus idea in favor of at least 200 calories.

200? I highly recommend you see an eating disorder therapist as you definitely have an eating disorder. Matt Stone explains it well what you're going through and it would be worth it to read his stuff. Also, the fact that you don't address the people who say you have eating problems only further confirms that you do.
    Did you see what I posted on the first page? "I don't think just because I don't have the dedication to do whatever it takes (even if it means seriously wrecking up my health in the process) means I have an ED." You keep harping on it, but it's not like I lost weight and ended up where I am. I might not have made it clear, but I have always been small since I was a young kid. By the time I turned 14 I was about 5'3" 98 pounds. I continued to grow more in height than weight in my teenage years, which lowered my BMI even further. This has nothing to do with an ED, and no one in my family would think that.
  • ForecasterJason
    edited January 2015
    Options
    mspunkyone wrote: »
    You do okay with hard cheese but not other dairy, that sounds like lactose intolerance in which case you should be able to have ghee which contains zero lactose put TABLESPOONS of ghee on a potato. So good! Rereading your digestive issues I really hope you read those books I'm not an expert so I won't get into what you can easily read in a book but in short some of your bloating/discomfort could be coming from eating too many veggies (I'm a veggie farmer so trust me I'm not hating on the veggies) and going through a short restorative period of time where you eat less nutrient dense foods and more calorie dense foods can actually help tour stomach out.
    The thing is though, I don't usually eat more than 1-2 servings of vegetables each day and never really have. I do think though that if anything, it could be the whole grains, although most of the breads I eat are now made from sprouted wheat or sourdough bread. But for so many years going back to childhood/teenage I ate tons of whole grain bread made from improperly prepared flour, which I suspect could be an issue.

• butterbear1980
    Options
    I think its entirely possible OP doesn't have an eating disorder just a very understandable misunderstanding, as many people interested in "healthy foods", of what will happen to his body if he eats certain calorie dense foods. This with a possibly a small body frame has made him very underweight. The gaining forum is usually a safe place for women who don't fit into a very narrow ideal of what females should look like. It would be cool to extend thay same mentality to an underweight dude. OP is underweight and misguided about nutrition. MOST people I meet are misguided about nutrition.

OP here are some calorie dense foods you may be willing to try to gain:

Jones soda
    Dried fruit
    Fried banana chips
    Reeds ginger candy chews
    Kettle potato chips/sweet potato chips
    Popcorn cooked in ghee
    Homemade "ice cream" (canned coconut milk maple syrup and frozen bananas put in the blender)
    Coconut manna
    Homemade pad Thai with canned coconut milk
    Potatoes, rice, or oatmeal with generous amounts of butter/ghee
    Avocados
    Toasted coconut chips
    Do you have a chipolte and can you say "double guac"?!?!
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    in 4 pics of Jo

+1
  • ForecasterJason
    Options
    I think its entirely possible OP doesn't have an eating disorder just a very understandable misunderstanding, as many people interested in "healthy foods", of what will happen to his body if he eats certain calorie dense foods. This with a possibly a small body frame has made him very underweight. The gaining forum is usually a safe place for women who don't fit into a very narrow ideal of what females should look like. It would be cool to extend thay same mentality to an underweight dude. OP is underweight and misguided about nutrition. MOST people I meet are misguided about nutrition.

Jones soda
    Dried fruit
    Fried banana chips
    Reeds ginger candy chews
    Popcorn cooked in ghee
    Homemade "ice cream" (canned coconut milk maple syrup and frozen bananas put in the blender)
    Coconut manna
    Avocados
    Toasted coconut chips
    Thank you. I don't know how else to explain that there are some low nutrient dense foods in my diet, and that I wasn't trying to get rid of them at all.

• Nolan1009
    Nolan1009 Posts: 36 Member
    Options

Jones soda
    Dried fruit
    Fried banana chips
    Reeds ginger candy chews
    Popcorn cooked in ghee
    Coconut manna
    Avocados
    Toasted coconut chips
    Thank you. I don't know how else to explain that there are some low nutrient dense foods in my diet, and that I wasn't trying to get rid of them at all.

Funny you use the term low nutrient dense food. I'm studying my nutrition book as I have to recert and those are the terms the use- high and low nutrient density, high and low calorie density (I just read that part a minute ago :smile: ). I think these are much more appropriate terms than good, bad, healthy and unhealthy. How much of each you include in your diet is dependent on needs and goals.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

Did you see what I posted on the first page? "I don't think just because I don't have the dedication to do whatever it takes (even if it means seriously wrecking up my health in the process) means I have an ED." You keep harping on it, but it's not like I lost weight and ended up where I am. I might not have made it clear, but I have always been small since I was a young kid. By the time I turned 14 I was about 5'3" 98 pounds. I continued to grow more in height than weight in my teenage years, which lowered my BMI even further. This has nothing to do with an ED, and no one in my family would think that.

You can stop making excuses, I was 5'6" and wrestling at 98lbs in 9th grade and I didn't have to ever try to make weight. I was naturally thin like you are and would likely look like a member of your family. I am a bit taller and have 6.5" wrists so my frame is VERY small but I outweigh you by 30 pounds and 15 of that is on LBM alone. I gained a lot of weight at one time but recently lost and now at 8-10% BF and my abs pop nicely but I'm not trying to kill myself, this is just naturally were I should have always been.

The point is that you can gain the weight. I did it with very similar genetics as you and so can you. When I was 18 I was 135lbs and was 6-8%BF and moved up to 145 at 8-10% by the time I was 21. I was also benching 225 by that time and squatting 315 and unlike you I ate everything and was never unhealthy. So you can either keep blaming your genetics or you can accept that you have to change your exercise and diet. The choice is yours.
  • jbgolf52
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Did you see what I posted on the first page? "I don't think just because I don't have the dedication to do whatever it takes (even if it means seriously wrecking up my health in the process) means I have an ED." You keep harping on it, but it's not like I lost weight and ended up where I am. I might not have made it clear, but I have always been small since I was a young kid. By the time I turned 14 I was about 5'3" 98 pounds. I continued to grow more in height than weight in my teenage years, which lowered my BMI even further. This has nothing to do with an ED, and no one in my family would think that. [/quote]

You are completely missing my point, which is you don't have to go to extremes or "do whatever it takes," you just need to add 500 cals to your current diet. This can be easily accomplished with one or any combo of the following: a PB&J sandwich, peanut butter by itself, a shake, eggs, trailmix, dried fruit, nuts, etc. I'm not talking about doing a 20K eating challenge, I'm talking an easy 500 cal increase which you are so afraid to do and keep blaming your stomach or genetics. You are not a unique snowflake, eat more or don't, just don't complain to us when you don't see results.

BTW, the most that the fastest and the slowest metabolism differ by is 200 cals, the reason some people have a high TDEE is because of their non-exercise activity, or NEAT. Maintaining on what you said is not all that high as I've seen people have to eat 3,000-4,000 to maintain their bodyweight.
    You can stop making excuses, I was 5'6" and wrestling at 98lbs in 9th grade and I didn't have to ever try to make weight. I was naturally thin like you are and would likely look like a member of your family. I am a bit taller and have 6.5" wrists so my frame is VERY small but I outweigh you by 30 pounds and 15 of that is on LBM alone. I gained a lot of weight at one time but recently lost and now at 8-10% BF and my abs pop nicely but I'm not trying to kill myself, this is just naturally were I should have always been.

The point is that you can gain the weight. I did it with very similar genetics as you and so can you. When I was 18 I was 135lbs and was 6-8%BF and moved up to 145 at 8-10% by the time I was 21. I was also benching 225 by that time and squatting 315 and unlike you I ate everything and was never unhealthy. So you can either keep blaming your genetics or you can accept that you have to change your exercise and diet. The choice is yours.

This right here, all of it. You keep blaming factors outside your control when they are not. Either gain weight and strength and make the most of the great spot you are in hormonally to get gains, or stay small and weak forever.
  • ForecasterJason
    Options
    Alright, I won't make any more excuses.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

Excellent! :D
  • jbgolf52
    Options

There we go! Man, I know it sucks to eat, especially bulk, with stomach issues as I have my fair share of them, but just get the cals down any way you can. Make sure to hit the weights hard and you'll see good results.
  • butterbear1980
    Options

Very Cool OP!
  • Nolan1009
    Nolan1009 Posts: 36 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

:D
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Did we have a win??!?!? I went to philly for a gig interview- didn't realize we had a break through!!!

WINNING!!

See- all you gotta do is flash the guns- I'm totally taking credit for doing absolutely NOTHING!!!!
    <muah ha ha ha ha ha>
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

There we go! Man, I know it sucks to eat, especially bulk, with stomach issues as I have my fair share of them, but just get the cals down any way you can. Make sure to hit the weights hard and you'll see good results.

And if his stomach issues affect him that much, then he needs to see a gastroenterologist. Like I told him weeks ago.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    hopefully OP has had a breakthrough and will take advantage of the advice provided in this thread...
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I'm 20, just under 5'8" and hover around 120-123 pounds.

I'm sad for you.
    at 5'8" you should weigh much closer to 160 pounds- you aren't "blessed to have abs" honestly. ... you should be genuinely concerned about how under weight you are.

here's me at 155ish last year- same height as you
    696ef57f-ddaa-4383-99a7-39700a41af7c_zps3af3dce3.jpg

Just took these in my kitchen- I'm about 7 pounds heavier- post bulk- technically pre bulk weight- still not as shredded- why- because I'm bigger. (and stronger)
    Still look good though
    20150110_152041_zpsiha1pvvw.jpg

no- abs aren't as fierce but did you check out these quads???

20150110_152133_zpsqb9tiiff.jpg

which means- i'm pretty sure I'm bigger than you- and that's just- sad.
    20150110_151759_zps2wphwkj3.jpg
    BULK ALREADY PLEASE.

Dam girl!!!!!!!

Dem quadz!!!!

I'm saving these for private time later...bahahahaha jk

I think the term you're looking for is "spank bank" ;)

OP: Alan Aragon said it best:
    "Abs on a skinny guy are about as impressive as big tits on a fat chick"

Just eat something already.

• FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I'm 20, just under 5'8" and hover around 120-123 pounds.

I'm sad for you.
    at 5'8" you should weigh much closer to 160 pounds- you aren't "blessed to have abs" honestly. ... you should be genuinely concerned about how under weight you are.

here's me at 155ish last year- same height as you
    696ef57f-ddaa-4383-99a7-39700a41af7c_zps3af3dce3.jpg

Just took these in my kitchen- I'm about 7 pounds heavier- post bulk- technically pre bulk weight- still not as shredded- why- because I'm bigger. (and stronger)
    Still look good though
    20150110_152041_zpsiha1pvvw.jpg

no- abs aren't as fierce but did you check out these quads???

20150110_152133_zpsqb9tiiff.jpg

which means- i'm pretty sure I'm bigger than you- and that's just- sad.
    20150110_151759_zps2wphwkj3.jpg
    BULK ALREADY PLEASE.

Dam girl!!!!!!!

Dem quadz!!!!

I'm saving these for private time later...bahahahaha jk

I think the term you're looking for is "spank bank" ;)

OP: Alan Aragon said it best:
    "Abs on a skinny guy are about as impressive as big tits on a fat chick"

Just eat something already.