Options
    Go see a doctor because I suspect a
    Eating disorder
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Eating disorder
    You do realize that, while few and far between, there are others on this forum who do not have EDs but yet have a very similar view about food??? And I know other people in real life (I'm talking adults who are in their 40s and 50s) who speak of "real" food and the like.
    This is unbelievable considering my own family members who see a lot of what I eat would never think this…
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Denial is often the first stage
  • ForecasterJason
    Options
    Maybe I should open up my food diary because apparently you guys don't think I'm telling the truth about what I eat…
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Eating disorder
    You do realize that, while few and far between, there are others on this forum who do not have EDs but yet have a very similar view about food??? And I know other people in real life (I'm talking adults who are in their 40s and 50s) who speak of "real" food and the like.
    This is unbelievable considering my own family members who see a lot of what I eat would never think this…

Look up orthorexia. I'm pretty sure you fit many of the symptoms. And how do you know these people you speak of don't have EDs? Because you say they don't?
  • ForecasterJason
    Options
    tigersword wrote: »
    Eating disorder

Look up orthorexia. I'm pretty sure you fit many of the symptoms. And how do you know these people you speak of don't have EDs? Because you say they don't?
    These are people I've talked to in person, not just over the Internet. Myself and others have been in discussions with them about food, and I know a lot of what they think. But if you guys are going to think that anyone who thinks this way has an ED, or that I'm not being honest, then I don't know what to say anymore…
    I went to bed last night starting to get excited about doing this (bulking) in a more efficient way than what I had been thinking before. Honestly, you guys have succeeded in taking that excitement away when all I hear now is that I have an ED.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Eating disorder

These are people I've talked to in person, not just over the Internet. Myself and others have been in discussions with them about food, and I know a lot of what they think. But if you guys are going to think that anyone who thinks this way has an ED, or that I'm not being honest, then I don't know what to say anymore…
    I went to bed last night starting to get excited about doing this (bulking) in a more efficient way than what I had been thinking before. Honestly, you guys have succeeded in taking that excitement away when all I hear now is that I have an ED.

don't worry about what other people are saying…that is just finding another excuse to not do said bulk..

just do the bulk, add muscle, and report back..

• Nolan1009
    Nolan1009 Posts: 36 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Eating disorder

don't worry about what other people are saying…that is just finding another excuse to not do said bulk..

just do the bulk, add muscle, and report back..

+1

Stick with it! :smiley:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    20 year old, 5'11" 115ish pound Jof used to be able to relate to this struggle.

43 year old, 5'11" 193ish pound jof knows your plan will likely accomplish nothing and believes you should eat more, more often, more caloric dense (from all sources), etc. like it's your freaking job because it's the only way you're going to actually change your size.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

43 year old, 5'11" 193ish pound jof knows your plan will likely accomplish nothing and believes you should eat more, more often, more caloric dense (from all sources), etc. like it's your freaking job because it's the only way you're going to actually change your size.

I think two Jof's is more than I can take….bahahahahahahaha :)
  • jofjltncb6
    edited January 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

I think two Jof's is more than I can take….bahahahahahahaha :)

43 yo jof isn't that bad.

20 yo jof was a real db.

ETA: Wait. Maybe I have those reversed.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    We'll take a JoF either way. ;)
    I'm honestly partial to DB variations- they are just inherently more fun.
  • ForecasterJason
    Options
    What I gather from some of the advice I've seen given to others, when it comes to macros I should be looking at grams more so than ratios, right? I could be slightly off on some of this, but I think my general diet from day to day is around 50-55% carbs, 30-35% fat, and 14-18% protein. For protein, my daily intake generally varies from 0.7-0.85 grams per lb/LBM. I've seen fat intake recommended to be at least 0.4 or 0.5 grams/lb, and I'm generally eating at least 0.6 grams/lb. So since it seems like I'm over the minimum amount of protein needed (especially since my activity level is basically nothing outside of training), and I'm already eating plenty of fat, would carbs be the macronutrient that I could stand to increase more than others?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    0.8-1 gram protein per pound LBM. 0.35 grams fat per pound body weight. The rest carbs. You should be eating a ton of calorie dense carbs (more fat isn't bad, either) to bulk up. Glycogen saturation helps considerably when it comes to lifting and adding muscle.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    Maybe I should open up my food diary because apparently you guys don't think I'm telling the truth about what I eat…

do it
  • jofjltncb6
    edited January 2015
    Options
    0.8-1 gram protein per pound LBM. 0.35 grams fat per pound body weight. The rest carbs. You should be eating a ton of calorie dense carbs (more fat isn't bad, either) to bulk up. Glycogen saturation helps considerably when it comes to lifting and adding muscle.

:+1:

(I mean, it isn't dogma...but it's a darn fine place to start and likely isn't a "wrong" answer for nearly all.)
  • ForecasterJason
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Ok thanks.
    do it
    Assuming you guys should be able to see it now, I logged Saturday, Sunday, and today.
    Notes: This is still basically what I typically eat to maintain my weight. I'll ramp things up once I get the training plan from Sarah (which should be very soon).

The accuracy of some of the quantities and macros are subject to a lot of errors. For one thing, I don't weigh or measure 100% of everything I eat (would be very difficult anyway given the number of things I eat that are homemade, not divided equally, some individual components not measured precisely, and/or made by others). I used the recipe builder for several foods, but there are still some things that would not work very well (like yogurt). However, for most foods I think the overall calorie number is pretty close.
    This is a big reason why instead of trying to shoot for X number of calories a day, I will plan to shoot for X number over the typical foods and portions of what I typically eat.

• JeffseekingV
    Options
    You only tracked the last few days but you know how many calories you've been eating?
  • ForecasterJason
    Options
    I always keep my own spreadsheet of everything I eat. While I don't officially chart down calories on it, I have a pretty solid idea (since a lot of those foods I tracked I eat regularly and/or in similar portions). There are occasional days here and there that I know bounce over 2500 or under 2100, but I am pretty confident that on average I've been eating 2100-2300 consistently.