Butter Vs. Margarine

Options

Replies

• The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I've said this on another thread, but I was raised on margarine growing up. Every time we'd go to the Cheesecake Factory, I'd wonder why their butter tasted so much better than ours. I made the switch to butter when I finally realized they were two different fats and never looked back.

I do like Land O' Lakes Honey Butter spread though.

Oh me too! I didn't even taste butter until I was an adult. I have never looked back. I think I found nirvana the first time I had real buttercream.

Sometimes I still use light margarine when cooking for my husband because he'd prefer to have the lower calories, but for me it's worth it to have butter every time.

Same here. I grew up on Country Crock. When I had real butter, I was so disappointed that I had gone so long not knowing the joys of butter.

tumblr_inline_neuflccpNW1s7cn4s.gif
  • deviboy1592
    deviboy1592 Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I've said this on another thread, but I was raised on margarine growing up. Every time we'd go to the Cheesecake Factory, I'd wonder why their butter tasted so much better than ours. I made the switch to butter when I finally realized they were two different fats and never looked back.

Oh me too! I didn't even taste butter until I was an adult. I have never looked back. I think I found nirvana the first time I had real buttercream.

Sometimes I still use light margarine when cooking for my husband because he'd prefer to have the lower calories, but for me it's worth it to have butter every time.

Same here. I grew up on Country Crock. When I had real butter, I was so disappointed that I had gone so long not knowing the joys of butter.

Lol
  • dcastrog80
    Options
    Hi there. I'm italian. We in Italy do consume butter, a little less margarine. BUT both are not that healthy and are not NEEDED. It's just taste. So why not use olive oil (extra-virgin or normal)? Same fats but with less saturated fats and less cholesterol. If you want to eat healthy butter must be off in my opinion.
  • emilyc525
    emilyc525 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Always, always butter. I would much prefer the extra calories (and cut elsewhere) than the bad stuff in marg.
  • emilyc525
    emilyc525 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Also, what is the point of marg - it doesn't taste good, isn't healthy AND adds calories.
  • Ethereal_Whisper
    Ethereal_Whisper Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    i don't like either, so when i do use it, i'll use margarine(Earth Balance).

grew up on country crock and never liked butter-salted or unsalted- much at all..
  • Ethereal_Whisper
    Ethereal_Whisper Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Neither. Any fat that is solid at room temperature is unhealthy. It's kind of like which is better Oreos or pure sugar. Neither. Eat fruit in that case. In this case no fats - just whatever is present in food naturally but if you must, choose a cold pressed oil. It should say expeller pressed on the label otherwise it will be processed and very unhealthy.

coconut oil is a solid at room temperature.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

:laugh:
  • Chlo92x
    Chlo92x Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Im surprised at the response this thread has had! I think its quite clear butter is the favourite ;) haha x
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I don't like margarine so it's not an issue for me. I use olive oil for cooking and butter on my toast - but not often because I only have toast on Sundays, when I take myself out for breakfast. ;-)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Who knew that butter vs margarine was such a hot topic?

When I grew up it was illegal for stores to sell colored margarine because it looked too much like butter. You had to buy it in bags with a little dye spot. When you got home you popped the dye and kneaded it into the margarine. If you wanted yellow margarine by the stick, you had to go to another state. People still talk about the "oleo runs" to the border. It is still illegal for restaurants here to serve margarine instead of butter, but they can have it and serve it if the patron request it.

Yes, I grew up in Wisconsin, why do you ask? (Grandpa was a dairy farmer who sold his cream to be made into butter and fed the milk to fatten up his hogs, which he then sold)

• earlnabby
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    Neither. Any fat that is solid at room temperature is unhealthy. It's kind of like which is better Oreos or pure sugar. Neither. Eat fruit in that case. In this case no fats - just whatever is present in food naturally but if you must, choose a cold pressed oil. It should say expeller pressed on the label otherwise it will be processed and very unhealthy.

Coconut oil? It's solid at room temp.

Depends on which kind you get. There is 76° coconut oil, which melts at 76. 92° which melts at 92 and fractionated which is liquid all of the time. Also, palm oil and babassu oil are solid at room temp.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Trust me, making butter is a silly endeavor. Lots of good butter to be bought, without the wasted time. LOL. I can do it because I have a good selection of bacteria for getting some flavor into that cream, but why whack it up when I can keep it as creme fraiche? ;)

Coke vs. Pepsi, huge taste difference. Heinz and Hunts, totally.
    Pref: Coke and Heinz.
    Pepsi is what you buy when they don't have coke! Even then, I hate the the taste. Reminds me of flat coke

OMG, wth are you two thinking?! Pepsi and Diet Pepsi are sooo much better than Coke.

I don't know who buys Hunts ketchup. I've never been in any home that had it. I think it's a front for the mob.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    OMG, wth are you two thinking?! Pepsi and Diet Pepsi are sooo much better than Coke.

I don't know who buys Hunts ketchup. I've never been in any home that had it. I think it's a front for the mob.

ooh me, me!! I buy Hunt's ketchup. I buy whatever's cheapest - sometimes generic, but last time I needed ketchup there was a great sale on Hunt's so I stocked up. The only time I use it is if we have burgers, and my kids just aren't picky enough to tell the difference.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »

ooh me, me!! I buy Hunt's ketchup. I buy whatever's cheapest - sometimes generic, but last time I needed ketchup there was a great sale on Hunt's so I stocked up. The only time I use it is if we have burgers, and my kids just aren't picky enough to tell the difference.
    I've seen generic ketchup in people's homes, but never Hunts. Nice to finally know someone is buying it and it's not a money laundering operation. :)
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »

I've seen generic ketchup in people's homes, but never Hunts. Nice to finally know someone is buying it and it's not a money laundering operation. :)

It might be regional. I rarely see Heinz around here. Mostly Hunts or store brands.

• mallory_2014
    mallory_2014 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I use Earth Balance which is amazing! But, between butter and margarine, go for whatever you prefer. Nothing wrong with either.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Butter Natural is always better than artificial
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    jpaulie wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Butter. They have the same calories and fat per gram so why not go with something that tastes good?

so does lard, so why not use lard? or duck fat

You were a chef, what do you think of that olive oil spread?

never used it
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    butter as its natural and tastes awesome (small quantities of course!)