Some Rules for Gym Noobs.

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Staff? Cool story bro, they don't exist anymore. I have not seen a single staffer in the weight/cardio area since the beginning of the year. It's like they're a dog that knows it's done wrong, and is hiding.

Here's the neat thing, better gym, 17+ policy for membership, and $25 a month cheaper. Fine.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Naw. You talk to the staff at the office or go to management. If I see people doing crap, there's someone to approach. If you arrive at the gym and the crap is all lying around there, you talk to staff, then management and then ownership until it gets taken care of.
  • dbmata
    Options
    It's the Y. You know the score. I'll definitely be telling them WHY we're cancelling, but it's just getting worse there. They've got a great mission, but their staff care is lacking.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    Yeah, unless you have kids and use the Y after/before school programs, there are cheaper gyms out there
  • dbmata
    Options
    Yeah, unless you have kids and use the Y after/before school programs, there are cheaper gyms out there
    Yup. We were really there to help support their mission. However, I can still just make a donation if I really cared.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Wow, my day was interesting as well. I went in and nothing unusual happened. In fact it has been that way all year. I might have to look for a nwe gym where there is excitement. ;)
  • dlvuyovich
    dlvuyovich Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    If someone is resting on a machine between a set, simply ask them if you want to get a set it. Much better than the pouty death stare, or the huff & puff. I would gladly let you in if you ask, we are not mind readers.

For everyone:
    No need to go rushing over to someone, dangerous situation aside, to 'spot' them if they have not asked.
    Please, and this happens a lot from men to women, don't assume I don't know what I am doing and need your unsolicited input. Maybe we are having an off day, maybe we are trying something new. I was told once to "be careful to not put too much weight on it because you might get sore and won't be able to brush your pretty hair".
  • dbmata
    Options
    dlvuyovich wrote: »
    No need to go rushing over to someone, dangerous situation aside, to 'spot' them if they have not asked.
    Please, and this happens a lot from men to women, don't assume I don't know what I am doing and need your unsolicited input. Maybe we are having an off day, maybe we are trying something new. I was told once to "be careful to not put too much weight on it because you might get sore and won't be able to brush your pretty hair".

LOL, if there is a situation where I want to spot someone because they're doing something horrendously stupid. I'm just going to use my camera phone and record it, because world star hip hop.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Here is something that I noticed today.

Please clean out your locker when you are done, especially now that there is snow on the ground. Nobody wants to clean up the mess left behind by your wet, salt covered street shoes.
  • sklarbodds
    sklarbodds Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    #7. It's perfectly ok to admire your physique you've worked so hard for, and to see if you're hitting your muscle groups right. But don't blatenly check yourself out, and lift your shirt up to admire your abs. That being said, if you're 130lb male, and you have abs...we really aren't that impressed.

What about 165?
    #8. Don't get caught staring at boobs and *kitten*.......
    Caught being the key word LMAO :smile:

• runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    It was this weekend Saturday morning @ 5 am and saw a guy in weight room
    1) with 15 pound dumbbells
    2) next to 15 pounds he also had 30 pound and 60 pounds dumbbells.
    3) one EZ barbell with weights on. Didn't know how much.
    4) and after every curl sets he did jumping jacks.
    5) Claimed 2 benches to spread the dumbbells on. That's right, he kept the dumbbells and EZ bar on the bench - not on the floor.

I so remembered this post. It would be unfair to suggest he's a new member but I have never seen him 5 am gym time. Maybe he is a new member, maybe not. I don't know.

OHH!!! And after he was done he kept 15 pounds where 30 pounds had to go and 30 pounds went near 10 pounds.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    dlvuyovich wrote: »
    I was told once to "be careful to not put too much weight on it because you might get sore and won't be able to brush your pretty hair".

automatic punch to the face???
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »
    It was this weekend Saturday morning @ 5 am and saw a guy in weight room
    1) with 15 pound dumbbells
    2) next to 15 pounds he also had 30 pound and 60 pounds dumbbells.
    3) one EZ barbell with weights on. Didn't know how much.
    4) and after every curl sets he did jumping jacks.
    5) Claimed 2 benches to spread the dumbbells on. That's right, he kept the dumbbells and EZ bar on the bench - not on the floor.

I so remembered this post. It would be unfair to suggest he's a new member but I have never seen him 5 am gym time. Maybe he is a new member, maybe not. I don't know.

OHH!!! And after he was done he kept 15 pounds where 30 pounds had to go and 30 pounds went near 10 pounds.

However stupid that is to do, at least he did it at 5am on Sat. Ain't no way that would fly with me if I had to use the bench.
  • dbmata
    Options
    That's just ridiculous.
  • Papatoad194
    Papatoad194 Posts: 251 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Nice post! and be nice to us old guys trying to train.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

I'm 3 years older than you man
  • dbmata
    Options
    bwahahaha
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options

Dude, I'm a year younger than you!!!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »

Dude, I'm a year younger than you!!!

Pffft...I am three years older!!
  • cliffodom1
    cliffodom1 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    sklarbodds wrote: »
    #7. It's perfectly ok to admire your physique you've worked so hard for, and to see if you're hitting your muscle groups right. But don't blatenly check yourself out, and lift your shirt up to admire your abs. That being said, if you're 130lb male, and you have abs...we really aren't that impressed.

What about 165?

What about 185...but I am 6'2" so...