What's the deal with the obsession of sweets?

Options

Replies

• LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Your reply "of course it's sustainable because it's the only way to lose weight" does not answer my question. I have worked for Weight Watchers over the years and have seen countless number of people lose massive amounts of weight but were unable to maintain their weight loss. Calories in, calories out certainly works but they could never sustain it so I believe there are far more factors at work. So in light, of my experience, my question makes perfect sense.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    Mamapeach, it doesn't mean you are weak, it means you are human. :)

Sorry, but I'm taking responsibility for my own behavior here, something I didn't do for far too long when it came to food, and something I realize that naturally slim people can do. My late mother in law ADORED sweets, but when she felt like her pants were getting too tight for her? She had no trouble avoiding them and just drinking coffee while everyone else had dessert. Normally, she'd be leading the charge for seconds and thirds at it. That woman never wore anything larger than a size 10.

Mamapeach, You also said "Just because I'm weak-willed when it comes to one sweet, does not mean that particular food is addictive for me. It means I'm weak."

Something about these comments worried me and then then the reason occurred to me. All the overweight people I know are not weak or weak willed or weak minded. In fact, they are the most incredible, gifted and amazing people I know. They have confidence, courage, commitment, control and purpose. All characteristics of a strong minded person. So something else is happening here that they have no control over.

I have seen some of these people put themselves through the most difficult of diets using pure determination and achieved their goal only to slowly but surely regain the weight.

Now your mother in law was probably one of the naturally thin people of this world, their commitment to losing was easier and not a constant battle. I was one of them and being thin was not evidence that I was strong minded because I ate my way through life. I was blessed - simple as that. Three events changed that. Cancer scare and surgery, Ross River Virus and menopause. Life slowed for me when I was ill for nearly two years and later on, hormonal changes effected me as well. Thus my ability to lose weight is now different.

Will power, calories in, calories out and exercise will certainly get you results but is it sustainable? I believe there are far more factors at play and will power is only a minor one.

I'm sorry, but... what????

I'm quite happy with the way I'm eating now. I eat the same things I did before, I really only needed to cut small quantities of food to start losing weight. I'm short, it was only a small amount to make a difference for me.

CICO is the way a body works... plain and simple. There's no magic that will bypass it. I've tried all that woo before. IT DIDN'T WORK. I'd lose the water weight on low carb or paleo and then stall at the point that my calorie consumption equaled maintenance for a certain weight. You can't find an eating plan that will outsmart thermogenics. Ain't gonna happen.

I've learned a lot more about my body, my appetite and food tolerance has changed since then.

Thanks for your concern trolling, though.

• PeachyCarol
    Options
    Your reply "of course it's sustainable because it's the only way to lose weight" does not answer my question. I have worked for Weight Watchers over the years and have seen countless number of people lose massive amounts of weight but were unable to maintain their weight loss. Calories in, calories out certainly works but they could never sustain it so I believe there are far more factors at work. So in light, of my experience, my question makes perfect sense.

What factors?

• dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    kyta32 wrote: »
    FredDoyle wrote: »
    Measure your food @kyta32, measure your food.

I don't wanna. When I started weighing my yogurt, I found out I wasn't eating enough. So then I put in more, and the bowl was too full, and stuff would spill out when I tried to mix in my protein powder. It's easier just to eyeball. And besides, I'm losing 3-4 pounds a week. I heard measuring food leads to faster weight loss, and I don't think that would be safe....

Why don't you use a bigger bowl then? You could always buy a blender & mix some yogurt, milk, frozen banana, a few tablespoons of peanut butter, & whatever else you want to mix & make a breakfast smoothie/shake (after you measure the ingredients).
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    laciemn wrote: »
    Okay, so I've noticed that a lot of people with binge-eating problems really go after sweets. I am definitely a love of sweets but it's hot and cold for me. I don't really eat many sweets unless it's the holidays or I've bought a pack of cookies or a candy bar or something. I do really like cake and icing but it doesn't have the same urgency for me as for a lot of people. Why do you think other people (or yourself) can basically eat thousands of calories in mostly sugar and carbs and not get tired of it? Basically, I know a lot of younger girls who get most of their calories from sugary drinks, milkshakes, and desserts and don't even eat regular food. This baffles me because eating a proper meal seems much better to me. Is it because the lack of fiber and nutrients in sweet food, or maybe it's because of the presentation of sweet food? Most desserts look a certain way, gooey or colorful, presented as very tempting. Is the society's emphasis on sweet foods to represent celebration and love (Christmas, Halloween, birthdays, etc?)

This sort of obsession is definitely reinforced my social media and dieters, to an extent. People love posting desserts even if it's only to sigh "I wish I could eat that" or plan to have an indulges after doing well for a little while. I think part of it comes down to the moral implications of certain foods. Meat, grease, and condiments like mayo are sort of are like stereotypical of fat people. If you don't want to "look like a fatty" in front of your friends, you aren't going to order a burger, even if the latte or dessert your ordered has just as many calories. Cakes and chocolate are sort of universally adored. I mean, are people going to judge you more if you are sipping a milkshake or digging into some mayo-laden fat monstrosity?

We call it "defensive eating" in this house, lol.

It is simply poor menu planning in a nutshell.

And FWIW, you can binge eat sweets and not be fat if you stay within your calorie goals.

• LeenaGee
    Options
    Mamapeach, your comment "Thanks for your concern trolling, though" was unnecessary and untrue. I suggest very strongly that you do not voice this to me again and that you take this matter direct to a moderator if that is how you feel.

If you took the time to read my post properly and in context you will see that it was written without malice, and that I was in no way critising you or trying to offend you. Eat what you like as it makes no difference to me. If you want to call yourself "weak" that is your business but I simply do not see people who have trouble losing weight as weak minded.
  • LeenaGee
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    They go out and do WW, they get info a caloric deficit and they lose weight. They fall of WW and gain the weight back because they are no longer in a deficit. Sounds like CICO works exactly the way it's supposed to. It's not CICO that isn't sustainable, it's the plan they chose that isn't.

The plan they choose is CICO.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    Mamapeach, your comment "Thanks for your concern trolling, though" was unnecessary and untrue. I suggest very strongly that you do not voice this to me again and that you take this matter direct to a moderator if that is how you feel.

If you took the time to read my post properly and in context you will see that it was written without malice, and that I was in no way critising you or trying to offend you. Eat what you like as it makes no difference to me. If you want to call yourself "weak" that is your business but I simply do not see people who have trouble losing weight as weak minded.

Good grief, do you even know what concern trolling means?

Secondly, you didn't even read my initial post properly. I made no claims about OTHER people. I was talking about myself.

• LeenaGee
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Ndj you said "really, you are going to run and tattle tail to the mods….???? come on man!"

Nah, notice I never even flagged her. Read what I said "I suggest very strongly that you do not voice this to me again and that you take this matter direct to a moderator if that is how you feel."
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Ndj you said "really, you are going to run and tattle tail to the mods….???? come on man!"

Nah, notice I never even flagged her. Read what I said "I suggest very strongly that you do not voice this to me again and that you take this matter direct to a moderator if that is how you feel."

the fake indignation crew is getting tiresome….

• LeenaGee
    edited January 2015
    Options

Good grief, do you even know what concern trolling means?

Secondly, you didn't even read my initial post properly. I made no claims about OTHER people. I was talking about myself.

More to the point, do you know what concern troll is?

Concern troll - A person who posts on a blog thread, in the guise of "concern," to disrupt dialogue or undermine morale by pointing out that posters and/or the site may be getting themselves in trouble, usually with an authority or power. They point out problems that don't really exist. The intent is to derail, stifle, control, the dialogue. It is viewed as insincere and condescending.

A concern troll on a progressive blog might write, "I don't think it's wise to say things like that because you might get in trouble with the government." Or, "This controversy is making your side look disorganized."

and where does my post fit into that description?

And secondly, I knew you were talking about yourself and never stated anything different.

• LeenaGee
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Get what? I know calories in, calories out works.

An awful lot of people are successful without it. I have never counted a calorie in my life up until a few weeks ago and have stayed within a few kilos of my ideal weight my entire life. Since I started counting calories I realise that I am eating way too much to lose weight but for some reason my weight is stable. With the CICO theory I should be as fat as a house but for some reason my body maintains a steady weight. It is only since menopause that I have had a slight increase in weight.
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    Because it tastes delicious and fits into my goals?

And I will gladly eat my hunks of cheese and bottles of wine infront of anyone, don't give a shiz about judgement.

this.
  • MouseFood
    MouseFood Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    sugar can be an addictive substance for some people. it may cause a 'crash' afterwards in the way caffeine or a drug does, making you feel bad/depressed and thus wanting more sugar to make yourself feel better.

trust me, i know. ;s

god i hate having an eating disorder.
  • LeenaGee
    Options
    Mouse, there are a lot of people on this site who have overcome eating disorders and you can as well :) . I must admit I find if hard to stop eating sugar once I start so I try very hard never to have them in the house and surround myself with fruit, nuts and other yummy things.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

I knew you were talking about yourself and never stated anything different.
    All the overweight people I know are not weak or weak willed or weak minded. In fact, they are the most incredible, gifted and amazing people I know. They have confidence, courage, commitment, control and purpose. All characteristics of a strong minded person. So something else is happening here that they have no control over.

You made this about other people.

And yes, I do know what concern trolling is. You're so sympathetic about CICO and us poor dears for whom something else just HAS to be our underlying problems.

I notice that you ignored the post where I asked what those problems were.

• PeachyCarol
    Options
    Get what? I know calories in, calories out works.

An awful lot of people are successful without it. I have never counted a calorie in my life up until a few weeks ago and have stayed within a few kilos of my ideal weight my entire life. Since I started counting calories I realise that I am eating way too much to lose weight but for some reason my weight is stable. With the CICO theory I should be as fat as a house but for some reason my body maintains a steady weight. It is only since menopause that I have had a slight increase in weight.

Of course you're eating way too much to lose weight if you're eating enough to maintain a stable weight. A deficit of calories isn't the same as maintenance.