• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    vismal wrote: »
    When I began, I was advised to eat healthy, exercise and not worry about anything else. I had special restrictions in addition to that, but could eat all the fruits and veggies my little heart desired.

Without logging, counting, weighing myself or doing any of the things that are so common for weight loss, I lost my first forty pounds. I was shocked when I found out how much I'd lost. Since my clothes got bigger and too big, I knew I'd lost, but was FLOORED by forty pounds. I literally got off and back on the scale and considered that I might've been weighed wrong in the first place, but it would've required like a dozen people doing it wrong in six or eight different places, so there was no error.

If you eat only the healthiest of foods - all healthy, all the time - it's really hard to overeat. You'll see people here asking about how to get to 1200 eating only the healthiest of food. While it's theoretically possible, it would be very difficult to gain weight eating All Healthy, All The Time.
    I completely disagree with this. There are too many high calorie choices that could be considered "healthy". If I ate grass fed steak, eggs, almonds/almond butter, milk, avocados, coconut oil, bananas, natural peanut butter, oats, granola, etc I could easily eat above my maintenance, and my maintenance is over 3000 calories. Someone with a smaller maintenance could do it even easier.
    Healthy eating includes watchingcholesterol, sodium, fat content and sticking to lean, white meats. You won't be able to eat too many of those eggs sticking to All Healthy, All The Time.

I'm not saying you couldn't gain weight eating whatever you choose to eat, just that people sometimes have a really hard time hitting 1200 when doing All Healthy, All The Time.

But I respect your opinion and think the boards are better when there are multiple opinions posted. Not trying to start a big fight, just clarify. :)
    Your definition of healthy includes sticking to lean, white, meats. That's not everyone's definition of healthy. I happen to think eating salmon, mackerel, steak, lamb, avocado, almonds, etc is perfectly healthy. This is an inherent problem with trying to "eat healthy". There is no definition of what "healthy" is. I also find no reason to pay much attention to sodium. I do not have hypertension or kidney disease and until I do, I find no problems with eating twice the RDA for sodium some days. Someone who has moderate to severe hypertension really aught to watching their sodium. While it's not necessarily "unhealthy" for me to eat a lot of sodium, it can be quite "unhealthy" for someone else too. This is why it is an exercise in futility to classify individual foods as clean and dirty, or healthy and unhealthy. It's completely subjective and in the end, it's how those foods fit together in a total diet and how that total diet complements the individuals needs that matter.
    It isn't my definition, lol. I take advice from experts.

I know many MFP people do not trust:
    Doctors, because they're not smart
    CDC, because government lies
    Health associations, like Amercian Heart, because they have an agenda
    Etc.

I do trust all those people when they all say that eating healthy (as they define it) may help me avoid illness. Avoiding illness is something I'm in favor of doing!

For various reasons, they suggest avoiding certain foods and keeping the salt lower than most Americans do.

If you stick to their recommendations and only their recommendations - All Healthy, All The Time - it's hard to gain weight.

If you add a bunch of stuff that they don't recommend and call it "healthy," that's a different ball game.

If you overdo it on the sodium, you may end up regretting it later. I'm not sure where you got the info that it's cool to eat "a lot" of sodium until it causes cardiovascular problems and then cut back, but I know it is said here a lot. You may end up wishing you'd done it differently.

I don't personally care how much sodium you eat. Eat only salt all day, every day. I don't care. I'm not trying to be Right On The Internet because then I feel smarter and more confident. Just a heads up. For whatever it's worth.

I'm posting this as FYI and not attempting to begin a Link Duel. I'm not suggesting it makes me smarter or right about anything. Just in case you're interested in reading what some people - people who you may or may not trust! People you may or may not wish to hear out! - have to say:
    http://sodiumbreakup.heart.org/sodium-411/sodium-and-your-health/

As the daughter of doctor for the CDC, and as someone who holds a Master's in Public Health with a specific interest in obesity studies, I think I clearly do not fall into the category of someone who thinks doctors are stupid (they're not) or mistrusts the CDC (they're right and they have extended all our lives, even though we give them so little credit).

That being said, I still agree with Vismal. Your definition of healthy is healthy (it sounds like), however it is not the only definition of healthy, and is not the only definition most doctors would give you. Healthy is a flexible term in food, exercise, and the results seen in people. The point is that eating foods that many consider healthy, without paying attention to calories, can still cause gains. An obese person who cuts out everything they consider "unhealthy" (like fried food or fast food for instance) likely will see a loss... but that is BECAUSE they are eating less calories now than it takes to maintain their obese structure. Eventually they will have to take a look at their caloric intake and output to continue to lose.

When it comes to weight loss, a caloric deficit is what matters. That's it. There are a thousand ways to achieve that deficit and many arguments on which of these tactics work best, but in the end it comes down to calories in and out.

Also, sodium... I tend to side with Vismal on that too - but that's just another great example of how healthy is a broad term and not one-size-fits-all. Sodium affects some and not others, just like sugar gives some people cavities and not others.

For this post above and to Vismal -

applause-gif-tumblr-47_original.gif?1363040789
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    Unless I missed something, It seems like people are disagreeing with Kalikel for things she did not even say.
    They really are, lol.

Typical.
  • Kalikel
    Options
    When I began, I was advised to eat healthy, exercise and not worry about anything else. I had special restrictions in addition to that, but could eat all the fruits and veggies my little heart desired.

Without logging, counting, weighing myself or doing any of the things that are so common for weight loss, I lost my first forty pounds. I was shocked when I found out how much I'd lost. Since my clothes got bigger and too big, I knew I'd lost, but was FLOORED by forty pounds. I literally got off and back on the scale and considered that I might've been weighed wrong in the first place, but it would've required like a dozen people doing it wrong in six or eight different places, so there was no error.

If you eat only the healthiest of foods - all healthy, all the time - it's really hard to overeat. You'll see people here asking about how to get to 1200 eating only the healthiest of food. While it's theoretically possible, it would be very difficult to gain weight eating All Healthy, All The Time.
    I completely disagree with this. There are too many high calorie choices that could be considered "healthy". If I ate grass fed steak, eggs, almonds/almond butter, milk, avocados, coconut oil, bananas, natural peanut butter, oats, granola, etc I could easily eat above my maintenance, and my maintenance is over 3000 calories. Someone with a smaller maintenance could do it even easier.
    Healthy eating includes watchingcholesterol, sodium, fat content and sticking to lean, white meats. You won't be able to eat too many of those eggs sticking to All Healthy, All The Time.

I'm not saying you couldn't gain weight eating whatever you choose to eat, just that people sometimes have a really hard time hitting 1200 when doing All Healthy, All The Time.

But I respect your opinion and think the boards are better when there are multiple opinions posted. Not trying to start a big fight, just clarify. :)
    Your definition of healthy includes sticking to lean, white, meats. That's not everyone's definition of healthy. I happen to think eating salmon, mackerel, steak, lamb, avocado, almonds, etc is perfectly healthy. This is an inherent problem with trying to "eat healthy". There is no definition of what "healthy" is. I also find no reason to pay much attention to sodium. I do not have hypertension or kidney disease and until I do, I find no problems with eating twice the RDA for sodium some days. Someone who has moderate to severe hypertension really aught to watching their sodium. While it's not necessarily "unhealthy" for me to eat a lot of sodium, it can be quite "unhealthy" for someone else too. This is why it is an exercise in futility to classify individual foods as clean and dirty, or healthy and unhealthy. It's completely subjective and in the end, it's how those foods fit together in a total diet and how that total diet complements the individuals needs that matter.

Etc.

I do trust all those people when they all say that eating healthy (as they define it) may help me avoid illness. Avoiding illness is something I'm in favor of doing!

For various reasons, they suggest avoiding certain foods and keeping the salt lower than most Americans do.

If you stick to their recommendations and only their recommendations - All Healthy, All The Time - it's hard to gain weight.

If you add a bunch of stuff that they don't recommend and call it "healthy," that's a different ball game.

If you overdo it on the sodium, you may end up regretting it later. I'm not sure where you got the info that it's cool to eat "a lot" of sodium until it causes cardiovascular problems and then cut back, but I know it is said here a lot. You may end up wishing you'd done it differently.

I don't personally care how much sodium you eat. Eat only salt all day, every day. I don't care. I'm not trying to be Right On The Internet because then I feel smarter and more confident. Just a heads up. For whatever it's worth.

I'm posting this as FYI and not attempting to begin a Link Duel. I'm not suggesting it makes me smarter or right about anything. Just in case you're interested in reading what some people - people who you may or may not trust! People you may or may not wish to hear out! - have to say:

As the daughter of doctor for the CDC, and as someone who holds a Master's in Public Health with a specific interest in obesity studies, I think I clearly do not fall into the category of someone who thinks doctors are stupid (they're not) or mistrusts the CDC (they're right and they have extended all our lives, even though we give them so little credit).

That being said, I still agree with Vismal. Your definition of healthy is healthy (it sounds like), however it is not the only definition of healthy, and is not the only definition most doctors would give you. Healthy is a flexible term in food, exercise, and the results seen in people. The point is that eating foods that many consider healthy, without paying attention to calories, can still cause gains. An obese person who cuts out everything they consider "unhealthy" (like fried food or fast food for instance) likely will see a loss... but that is BECAUSE they are eating less calories now than it takes to maintain their obese structure. Eventually they will have to take a look at their caloric intake and output to continue to lose.

When it comes to weight loss, a caloric deficit is what matters. That's it. There are a thousand ways to achieve that deficit and many arguments on which of these tactics work best, but in the end it comes down to calories in and out.
    Agree with all of it except the bit about my definition of "healthy", since I didn't define it. :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »

Etc.

Sigh more nonsense

Truly so, especially about it being difficult to gain weight if you eat "all healthy all the time."

Kalikel,
    It's easy to overeat on any type of food.
    I say it's difficult to gain weight eating All Healthy, All The Time and you say it isn't.

Were you expecting me to say, "Yuh huh! Is too!"

I'm not. You disagree. Big deal.

What? Why the attitude?

It's no more difficult to gain on "all healthy all the time," as you call it then it is to gain on any other diet.
  • Kalikel
    Options

Etc.

Sigh more nonsense

Truly so, especially about it being difficult to gain weight if you eat "all healthy all the time."

Kalikel,
    I say it's difficult to gain weight eating All Healthy, All The Time and you say it isn't.

What? Why the attitude?

It's no more difficult to gain on "all healthy all the time," as you call it then it is to gain on any other diet.
    You disagree. I get it.

You can quote me and say it a third time, but I'm not going to fight about it then, either. It's just not that big a deal.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Etc.

Sigh more nonsense

Kalikel,

What? Why the attitude?

You disagree. I get it.

You can quote me and say it a third time, but I'm not going to fight about it then, either. It's just not that big a deal.

Wow. I thought we were all discussing. "Fight" is in your perception.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Unless I missed something, It seems like people are disagreeing with Kalikel for things she did not even say.
    They really are, lol.

Typical.

Nope.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    1536584_o.gif
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    While it's hard to argue when people say you gain weight from oreos or carrots, I will say this from personal experience: it is effing hard to overindulge on raw veggies (like eat 1500 calories over my goal); it is the easiest thing in the world to overindulge in buffalo wings and beer. So while it's true you can gain from anything, you'd be working pretty goddamn hard to gain serious weight chomping on balanced amounts of chicken breast, egg whites, raw veggies and fruits. Not saying it's impossible, but much more difficult.

I'd also last about a month, because I'd be bored.

When people say you can just eat healthy, I assume a reasonable definition of healthy (like I try to eat now), and not some get lean bodybuilder diet or professional dieter diet, both of which of course would likely result in loss, but both of which have an overly restrictive (and distorted) view of "healthy."

(For example, I personally think eggs are healthier than just the egg whites, and it goes with my own preference for whole foods too, which isn't so much about health but just a personal preference about how I like to eat.)

What's kind of annoying about this topic is that it seems to assume anyone who got fat was eating fast food all the time or not eating healthy foods (as that term is normally understood). I'm sure that's true for many people, who didn't like to cook and all that, but plenty of us are living proof that you can mostly eat home cooked foods, including lots of veggies, and still get fat.
  • lemurcat12
    edited January 2015
    Options

It's probably because we are reading in stuff from past discussions. Kalikel thinks (it seems to me) that there's one clear and correct definition of "healthy food" based on experts, and thus that low sodium and low fat (including salt used in cooking, which I don't even count) are part of a correct definition of healthy. (I don't think that means she's trying to tell anyone how to eat and I generally enjoy her posts, so this is not meant to be b-tchy.)

I don't agree, but I also think lots of people could get fat on the foods left over, like whole grains. (I probably would not, because starchy carbs aren't foods I tend to overeat so much, but lots of people do and who knows, if I couldn't have fat maybe I'd become a bread fiend.)
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    While it's hard to argue when people say you gain weight from oreos or carrots, I will say this from personal experience: it is effing hard to overindulge on raw veggies (like eat 1500 calories over my goal); it is the easiest thing in the world to overindulge in buffalo wings and beer. So while it's true you can gain from anything, you'd be working pretty goddamn hard to gain serious weight chomping on balanced amounts of chicken breast, egg whites, raw veggies and fruits. Not saying it's impossible, but much more difficult.

<golf clap>

Now make the defintion of "eating right" to be "focusing on foods it is hard to over-eat", and you have something.

:drinker:

Yes, a circle.
  • nashvillenellie
    nashvillenellie Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I never counted calories and never really realized what I was putting in to my body until I joined MFP a year ago. I was really shocked at what I had neglected for all those years. I am 1 pound shy of losing 60 pounds. I could have NEVER done it without counting calories. Well actually exercising has helped to. I am in the gym 4 to 5 times a week for an hour to hour and 1/2. I don't think I could be one of those who instinctively know when enough food is enough. I know if I tweak my diet a tad more I could do better. It has been a challenge to learn what to eat. The exercise part comes easy.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Etc.

Sigh more nonsense

Kalikel,

What? Why the attitude?

it's certainly more difficult to gain on a healthy diet than on a diet of junk food for me. i simply do not consume as many calories if i eat low carb foods rather than eating pasta and riceballs every other day like i used to.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Etc.

Sigh more nonsense

Kalikel,

What? Why the attitude?

it's certainly more difficult to gain on a healthy diet than on a diet of junk food for me. i simply do not consume as many calories if i eat low carb foods rather than eating pasta every day like i used to.
    So, you're saying low carb foods are healthy and pasta is not healthy, or as healthy?

I disgree.

I gained lots of weight eating what I perceived as healthy- no refined sugar, low fat, lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, lots of other foods on my avoid list.

I lost 44 pound seating foods I love, including plenty of carbs, and have been maintaining for a year.
    I found it easy to lose, and easy to maintain, because I don't feel deprived.
  • Aviva92
    edited January 2015
    Options

Etc.

Sigh more nonsense

Kalikel,

What? Why the attitude?

it's certainly more difficult to gain on a healthy diet than on a diet of junk food for me. i simply do not consume as many calories if i eat low carb foods rather than eating pasta every day like i used to.
    So, you're saying low carb foods are healthy and pasta is not healthy, or as healthy?

I disgree.

I gained lots of weight eating what I perceived as healthy- no refined sugar, low fat, lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, lots of other foods on my avoid list.

I lost 44 pound seating foods I love, including plenty of carbs, and have been maintaining for a year.

no, that isn't what i'm saying. if you disagree with me, you disagree that eating 2000 calories in pasta for lunch every day is bad? good to know. *rollseyes*

do people even read my posts when they disagree with them?
  • Aviva92
    Options

Etc.

Sigh more nonsense

Kalikel,

What? Why the attitude?

You disagree. I get it.

Wow. I thought we were all discussing. "Fight" is in your perception.

Looks like you're WK outnumbered. Also debating with her will never get y out anywhere. She'll just keep running in circles.

what is WK?
  • Aviva92
    Options

Etc.

Sigh more nonsense

Kalikel,

What? Why the attitude?

I disgree.

oh and i've been maintaining for almost 2 years.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Etc.

Sigh more nonsense

Kalikel,

What? Why the attitude?

I disgree.

no, that isn't what i'm saying. if you disagree with me, you disagree that eating 2000 calories in pasta for lunch every day is bad? good to know. *rollseyes*

Yeah, I read your post. 2000 calories of pasta is an extreme. How about 200 calories, maybe 300?
  • Aviva92
    Options

Etc.

Sigh more nonsense

Kalikel,

What? Why the attitude?

I disgree.

Yeah, I read your post. 2000 calories of pasta is an extreme. How about 200 calories, maybe 300?

200 calories in pasta would be tiny and would not be filling.
This discussion has been closed.