*RANT* Sugar, sugar, sugar!

Options

Replies

• eatmindfully
    eatmindfully Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    It used to bother me. But sugar from fruit (consumed with fiber) is not metabolized the same way. I only worry about added sugars. I no longer track sugar in my macronutrients! I look at Carbs, fats, protein, fiber and sodium :)
  • mcrmaiden
    mcrmaiden Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Why is my daily sugar goal at 75g on my MFP?... seems overly much now that I am reading this thread where people have a set amount of 20-25g. (I also do not want Liam Neeson to come after me.)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    banana's are overrated they are pretty much the natural equivalent of a cookie- so skip the cookie and move on to something else.
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I had a banana and a cookie yesterday
  • bakingforlife
    bakingforlife Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    i eat tons of bananas pineapple apples ,oranges,.80-10-10 - natural glucose isnt my issuse its,the unnatural prosessed i try,to stay,away from

• HaggisWhisperer
    HaggisWhisperer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    It looks like the MFP guidelines are in line with the new draft recommendations from the WHO. I would probably shoot for the max of 25g (particularly since you have PCOS) but really try not to go over 50g to stay with the guidelines.

"WHO’s current recommendation, from 2002, is that sugars should make up less than 10% of total energy intake per day. The new draft guideline also proposes that sugars should be less than 10% of total energy intake per day. It further suggests that a reduction to below 5% of total energy intake per day would have additional benefits. Five per cent of total energy intake is equivalent to around 25 grams (around 6 teaspoons) of sugar per day for an adult of normal Body Mass Index (BMI).

The suggested limits on intake of sugars in the draft guideline apply to all monosaccharides (such as glucose, fructose) and disaccharides (such as sucrose or table sugar) that are added to food by the manufacturer, the cook or the consumer, as well as sugars that are naturally present in honey, syrups, fruit juices and fruit concentrates."

I'm trying to limit the amount of sugar in my diet - in my opinion there does appear to be enough of a relationship between sugar consumption and diabetes/metabolic syndrome disease (from an epidemiological standpoint) for me to try and make some changes.

It will be interesting to see what the final guidelines say when they are published.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    banana's are overrated they are pretty much the natural equivalent of a cookie- so skip the cookie and move on to something else.
    Never skip the cookie (or banana).
    giphy.gif
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    MFP's sugar recommendations allow for 15% of your calories to come from sugar. Even if you were only eating 1,200 a day your total sugar would allow 45g wouldn't it? Maybe you can recalculate your goals to fix it. Since it's important for you not to overdo it on the sugar (if your new sugar goal still isn't enough) I'd customize your sugar goal to something you think is more appropriate so you don't get discouraged going into the red rather than not track it all.

Also, a cup of whole milk and strawberries might be a better option (assuming you like berries) since it would have 192 calories and 20g of sugar vs. 232 calories and 27g of sugar. Best wishes.
  • Peque1130
    Peque1130 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    mcrmaiden wrote: »
    Why is my daily sugar goal at 75g on my MFP?... seems overly much now that I am reading this thread where people have a set amount of 20-25g. (I also do not want Liam Neeson to come after me.)

Its based on how many calories you are allotted per day....I get 1340, so my sugar is 27g.

• Peque1130
    Peque1130 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Unless you have medical issues with sugar, don't worry about it.

this..

end thread/

now...

please...?

We aren't that lucky.

Replies to post are voluntary....don't like the topic of the post, don't reply, then you don't have to worry about the thread...promise!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Yes (to OP)! Much of the advice from the government concerning food is both contradictory and unrealistic. The sad thing is that it makes people confused and frustrated, and disregard all of it, even the sensible and doable parts.
  • mcrmaiden
    mcrmaiden Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Peque1130 wrote: »
    mcrmaiden wrote: »

Its based on how many calories you are allotted per day....I get 1340, so my sugar is 27g.

Oh, I see. Thank you! I was getting a little worried. I'm new to MFP, trying to read up and get educated/informed. I'm right there with you on the sugar thing though, the first few days I went into the red on sugar and when I saw it I was like "WTF, I have ate so good today!" It was oranges and bananas (and yogurt/milk). You're supposed to get 5 servings of fruit a day, as well as your low-fat dairies.... but not go over that sugar? It's highly annoying. So you're not alone. I have just been trying to cut portions even more, or try lower sugar fruits instead. Good luck to you~
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Peque1130 wrote: »
    Laurend224 wrote: »

this..

end thread/

now...

please...?

We aren't that lucky.

Replies to post are voluntary....don't like the topic of the post, don't reply, then you don't have to worry about the thread...promise!

Their point is, this thread comes up roughly daily. They begin to fill with loads of "sugar is the debil" misinformation. Many will come into these threads to disprove the misinformation, mostly for lurkers and noobs.

A dumpster fire normally ensues after that.

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I probably eat well over 75 grams a day, I don't track it, I haven't grown any horns, lol!!! ;)
    But I did lose 121 pounds!! :D
  • brenstar05
    brenstar05 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Remember that there is a big difference between natural sugar and refined sugar... I generally subtract the natural sugars from my total at the end of the day. Yes, the red number is annoying, but if you give up fruits because of the sugar content, you will be missing out on other great nutrients. I generally try to keep my refined sugar under the MFP recommendation and don't worry about the natural sugars, like those from fruits and veggies.
  • Delilahhhhhh
    Delilahhhhhh Posts: 477 Member
    Options

this..

end thread/

now...

please...?

WrGiAHYhZZYZ2.gif[img][/img]
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Never skip the cookie (or banana).
    giphy.gif

skipping the banana- having two cookies instead!!!!
    It used to bother me. But sugar from fruit (consumed with fiber) is not metabolized the same way. I only worry about added sugars. I no longer track sugar in my macronutrients! I look at Carbs, fats, protein, fiber and sodium

also.
    1.) no- sugar is sugar.

2.) sugar isn't a macro.
    I mean- technially sugar is a carb and CARBS are a macros- but sugar isn't a macro itself. It's not that special .
  • cbills65
    cbills65 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    I heard that if you go over 25g of sugar Liam Neeson will come round and kill everyone.

Or you could just not worry about it.

Greatest response I've seen to ANY topic on here. Thanks for making my day!
  • aSearch4Me
    aSearch4Me Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Also a PCOS'er and am on a modified sugar diet because of that as well. One trick for me is not to use milk (1 cup of 2% milk = 12 g of sugar because of the lactose), but to use a milk substitute. Personally, I really like the Good Karma brand Flax Milk+Protein (unsweeteend) in smoothies. It's like 50 calories a cup, 2 g carb/no sugar and gives a really similar flavor/texture to milk-based smoothies. But I also use unsweetened almond milk or unsweetened cashew milk.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    I probably eat well over 75 grams a day, I don't track it, I haven't grown any horns, lol!!! ;)
    But I did lose 121 pounds!! :D

^She seems to know what she's talking about.

The new recommendations are regarding "added sugar" which would not be fruit, but there is no way to differentiate that since labels don't reflect added sugar (I believe that is in the updated USDA label though).

As stated previously, if you don't have a medical problem metabolizing sugar, there is no need to track it. Just track carbs of which sugar is a subset. Additionally, every diabetic I know doesn't actually track sugar, they also just track carbs.