What should I eat to gain weight?

Options

Replies

• candacefausset
    candacefausset Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    If you want less processed foods- you can load up on fatty foods such as oils, avocados and nuts. High starch and carb foods will include bananas, potatoes, rice, etc.

But as far as healthy foods- all foods can be healthy in moderation. What people call "junk food" isn't the best option to eat tons of because of the way the foods are processed and all the additives. But in moderation, they won't hurt because your body is equipped with the organs to filter out the "junk". But there are plenty of alternatives that don't have as much of the "junk" you can find recipes online for clean eating or check out your local whole foods or similar store. You can still find pizza, cookies, brownies, ice cream and more that are not as highly processed with all the added stuff. You can still eat 3 meals a day with all the nutrient rich foods you currently are and then add in a couple snacks and a dessert that are more calorie dense foods.
  • Metazoick
    Metazoick Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Well hello there captain Strawman ..

please find the one person in this thread that advocated a diet of pizza and brownies all day ..

OP asked what foods would put her in a surplus and everyone responded....when you are trying to add weight/bulk the surplus is the most important part..but no one is saying eat 3100 calories of brownies all day. ..

Like I said before I probably just misinterpreted the sentiment and I apologise for that - I've met people before who used bulking as an excuse to completely ignore fruit/veg/other 'healthy' foods and live on tubs of icecream and takeout pizza and I just wanted to make sure OP didn't feel like this is the only way to ever gain weight, or that anything healthy is low calorie and that there's no overlap.

Another note for OP, though: if by eating 'healthy' you're talking about wanting relatively unprocessed foods, maybe you could make it at home? Homemade pizza means you know exactly what's in it, can add more of what you want (veggies etc), plus it tastes amaaazing and will probably have a ton of calories in it :)
  • beastcompany
    beastcompany Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    OP, please look at the physiques of those advising you to consume items such as Pizza, Burgers, Ice Cream, and "Junk"...and feel free to throw me in the ring as well as an advocate of such foods.

Now please look at the physiques, or lack there of, of those telling you to eat "healthy".

Clearly we know something they don't.
    You should listen to us.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Connie68 wrote: »
    It depends. Are you trying to gain muscle or a more voluptuous figure? If you're wanting to gain muscle, you'll need to work out with weights and eat lots of protein and high, but healthy carbs. If you want to gain voluptuousness then eat anything your heart desires :)

Not true. I eat everything, I lift weights and I am gaining all kinds of wonderful curves. You can have it all :)

Those are some dangerous curves! :smiley:
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Metazoick wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Well hello there captain Strawman ..

please find the one person in this thread that advocated a diet of pizza and brownies all day ..

OP asked what foods would put her in a surplus and everyone responded....when you are trying to add weight/bulk the surplus is the most important part..but no one is saying eat 3100 calories of brownies all day. ..

Like I said before I probably just misinterpreted the sentiment and I apologise for that - I've met people before who used bulking as an excuse to completely ignore fruit/veg/other 'healthy' foods and live on tubs of icecream and takeout pizza and I just wanted to make sure OP didn't feel like this is the only way to ever gain weight, or that anything healthy is low calorie and that there's no overlap.

Another note for OP, though: if by eating 'healthy' you're talking about wanting relatively unprocessed foods, maybe you could make it at home? Homemade pizza means you know exactly what's in it, can add more of what you want (veggies etc), plus it tastes amaaazing and will probably have a ton of calories in it :)

There is always a healthy middle ground and you will find that those who advocate pizza and ice cream have very healthy diets as a base then load up cals on top. We are just lucky when we bulk that we can add some of the "junk" without fear of gaining weight because that's the plan! :)
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    OP, please look at the physiques of those advising you to consume items such as Pizza, Burgers, Ice Cream, and "Junk"...and feel free to throw me in the ring as well as an advocate of such foods.

Now please look at the physiques, or lack there of, of those telling you to eat "healthy".

You should listen to us.
    That was my rule when I first showed up here trying to figure out how to gain. It's really good advice.

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    It depends. Are you trying to gain muscle or a more voluptuous figure? If you're wanting to gain muscle, you'll need to work out with weights and eat lots of protein and high, but healthy carbs. If you want to gain voluptuousness then eat anything your heart desires :)

Not true. I eat everything, I lift weights and I am gaining all kinds of wonderful curves. You can have it all :)

Why thank you @Wheelhouse15 :flowerforyou:

OP, eat whatever you please. Again, as everyone previously stated, you can eat all the healthy food you want but if you are struggling to maintain a surplus you are losing the race.

What I eat daily, it changes but toast, peanut butter, whole milk, eggs, spinach, cheese, yogurt, oatmeal, nuts, hemp hearts, granola, cereal, pasta, risotto, veggies, salads, soups, meat, fish, oils, pizza, burgers, ice cream, cake, cookies, pretty much everything under the sun. Have fun with it, explore, try new foods, have dessert everyday. Don't make this more difficult than it has to be.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Why thank you @Wheelhouse15 :flowerforyou:

OP, eat whatever you please. Again, as everyone previously stated, you can eat all the healthy food you want but if you are struggling to maintain a surplus you are losing the race.

What I eat daily, it changes but toast, peanut butter, whole milk, eggs, spinach, cheese, yogurt, oatmeal, nuts, hemp hearts, granola, cereal, pasta, risotto, veggies, salads, soups, meat, fish, oils, pizza, burgers, ice cream, cake, cookies, pretty much everything under the sun. Have fun with it, explore, try new foods, have dessert everyday. Don't make this more difficult than it has to be.

OP ^ listen to this one...curves and all ...
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    chips.. whiskey.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    dieselbyte wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Metazoick wrote: »
    I don't understand why all you guys are acting like the only high calorie foods out there are things like pizza/chocolate/etc. You can 'eat healthy' and still gain weight, as long as your calorie goal isnt super high. Obviously everything is fine in moderation, but advising her to switch from fruits/veg and fish etc to just pizza and brownies to stack on the pounds is probably going to feel crappy, especially as she's specifically asking for foods similar to the style she normally eats, and if she's found something that works then great - she should stick with it and just adjust slightly.
    -
    Easy ways to add calories includes the above food in moderation as easy calories, but they shouldnt be the be all and end all (dont stop eating fruit & veg etc, they might not be high in calories but you still want those nutrients). You can also start cooking with oil (olive oil ~120c per tablespoon), nuts are great for calories and fats with pecan, pine and brazil being some of the highest, nut butters lead on from that pretty obviously with almond butter being delicious and just beating out peanut, dried fruit can have a loooot of calories (eg cherries are 226 per half cup) but if sugar is something that concerns you I'd double check the labels, avocados tend to have over 300 calories each, then you get into grains, dairy, eggs, fish, bananas, butter etc.

no one suggested ONLY eating those things.

I see a lot of food you have added that you have to eat a lot of in order to get significant calories.

Plus-come on- cherries vs a snickers bar?
    which one is easier to eat? a snickers bar.
    which one gives you a better marco profile? a snickers bar!
    which one is going to help you lift better- a snickers bar!

no one is saying drop eating a moderate diet and getting the foods you need- chicken- steak- veggies- more veggies- butter, olive oil, but come on- ice cream + oreos. is a win.

We aren't talking eating all 3000+ calories in pizza and ice cream for 6 months straight- that's absurd. But no reason to not fill out the rest of your day with delicious high calorie food that doesn't leave you feeling over stuffed.

You don't get bonus points for being 'extra' healthy on a bulk.

You do however, get bonus points for waking up early and training... ;)

also- i get the work out too!!!! so you know- double awesome- bonus points AND my actual workout LMAO

<happy dance>
  • stephxo1
    stephxo1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I came onto MFP with exactly the same mindset as the OP due to being told to eat healthy by loads of different people. It's true though that none of these people had the type of figure that I am trying to achieve so just show's what they know! After taking advice from all of the experienced gainers on here I now have incorporated bread (GASP), Pop Tarts, chocolate, pizza, beer, spaghetti, wine, etc back into my eating plan. I pretty much eat my balanced meals throughout the day and then to make up my calories I top up on whatever will put me into a calorie surplus at night. Working wonders for my strength in the gym so no complaints here, thanks guys :)
  • JoRocka
    Options
    stephxo1 wrote: »
    I came onto MFP with exactly the same mindset as the OP due to being told to eat healthy by loads of different people. It's true though that none of these people had the type of figure that I am trying to achieve so just show's what they know! After taking advice from all of the experienced gainers on here I now have incorporated bread (GASP), Pop Tarts, chocolate, pizza, beer, spaghetti, wine, etc back into my eating plan. I pretty much eat my balanced meals throughout the day and then to make up my calories I top up on whatever will put me into a calorie surplus at night. Working wonders for my strength in the gym so no complaints here, thanks guys :)

that's what we call a winner.

congrats my friend!
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options

Realizing this with only 61 posts probably gives you a MFP IQ of 200+
  • stephxo1
    Options

Realizing this with only 61 posts probably gives you a MFP IQ of 200+

Cheers Jeff!! After ndj1979 blasted one of my very first posts I knew there was more to this gaining business than 'clean eating' lol
  • stephxo1
    Options

congrats my friend!

Thanks Jo! It was actually after reading quite a few of your quotes on this forum that I seen the light. And haven't looked back since :)
  • Metazoick
    Metazoick Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

You should listen to us.

Well. Your advice is really good, however, the OP usually can't look at the people's pictures that are saying "eat clean" or "junk food isn't good for you" because their profiles are usually private with no pictures. Sigh.

I'm pretty sure only one post kind of said that the OP had to eat clean or to avoid all junk foods, almost everybody here agreed that it's all fine in moderation.
  • JoRocka
    Options

congrats my friend!

Thanks Jo! It was actually after reading quite a few of your quotes on this forum that I seen the light. And haven't looked back since :)

oh YAY!

my epicforumdouchebaggery is helpful! most excellent- I like to hear that ;)
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Why is @JeffseekingV‌ entire post behind bars on mobile I can't even read it! Have you been bad? :wink: