Eating right & excersing, but gaining weight

Options

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary please? It will really be helpful with giving you advice.

Also, if you're eating low calories because you're short, I know how it is. Ever calorie matters. I can also tell you that cups and teaspoons aren't anywhere near as accurate as a digital food scale.

I've only been back on MFP for about 2 months max, I'm not quite mentally ready to open food diary to the world. The only issue I have with buying a food scale is that for the first few weeks, measuring by cups worked for weightloss, I had been loosing 2lbs a week & now, I'm gaining, even though I'm following my same restrictions & diet. So I KNOW it can be done

How long have you been gaining?

It has been the last 2 weeks I've been gaining, which in retrospect, isn't a big deal, but the same thing happened in 2012, I started going to the gym 2 hours a night doing a mix of cardio & cross training, following clean eating & gained 15lbs between jan-march, did not lose inches either. Then same thing in 2013 during the same months. I was pregnant this time last year, but now this year, the same thing is happening. It can't be a coincidence

You are gaining water weight. And also eating more food than you think and/or more than your body needs.
  • ana3067
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    zakkiwakki wrote: »
    All of the advice I offered is backed by strong recent scientific evidence of the effects your insulin is having. If you're already cutting calories and exercising and seeing no weight reduction you need to control the insulin spikes. Insulin is the hormone that saves the food you eat as fat. You're probably insulin resistant and you need to correct that issue first. Carbs are just glucose and effect the insulin to a much larger extent than fat or protein. You might want to read up on the paleo lifestyle. It's sound solid advice and it works in harmony with your bodies natural evolution. If you want further above PM me. There'll be a lot of people on here who'll dispute the above I've given, but 12.5kg since November 23 without hunger pangs and without counting calories is evidence to me it works. I don't even go to the gym or work out.

As it's a slow Sunday I'd be interested to read some of the evidence, not in terms of the general physiological effects, but specifically in regards to fat loss benefits over other approaches. Can you point me in the right direction please?

On a general note I don't doubt that the approach mentioned above would work, but for me it's overly restrictive in terms of food, and restriction for me leads to failure. Myself, I eat a varied diet of moderate carb, moderate fat, and high protein, restricting nothing if it fits in to my calorie and macronutrient goals.

I've burnt through plenty of fat and have clear thought.

I will give you the empirical evidence, me. I did what this person said to the "T" and lost 50 pounds while exercising. I eat a very nutrient-dense diet and won't turn back ever again to sweets and processed foods. It works - now the weight slowly comes off (since I am just below 170) and I am full of energy and life! Why change what works.

Not all calories are the same. Each work in a different manner metabolically. Each person is metabolically different. The best adjustment to make is to eliminate marginal foods to the point where the weight comes off, then keep eating those foods that allow for true weight loss.

Paleo works and it's super healthy. Never heard of a doctor state to me directly that eating veggies, olive oil, nuts, low GI fruits, and lean meats is a bad idea. Actually, that's exactly what they would want you to eat. Lose the processed sugar and you will be free.

I did this. Lasted about 4 years (and in that time I still went on a lose-gain cycle) before I could no longer sustain it. It created a terrible relationship with food. The more regimented I get, the worse I feel about myself and about my approach.
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    For everyone who has posted along the lines of "are you actually eating more than you think" "are you actually creating a caloric deficit" "are you sure you have counted your calories properly" No. yes. yes. I've been counting for 5 years now, took a break when I got pregnant with baby #3 & now my body seems to be rejecting any dieting. I follow the 1410 calories that have been suggested by MFP & push to stay under, since my basal metabolic rate is in the 1500's I stay under anyway. I normally don't track my workouts to ensure I'm creating a deficit, because I don't like how the app automatically gives you "extra" calories. I follow the eat ever 2-3 hours rule & eat small, ie hard boiled egg white, banana etc. Also, I do my best to avoid processed food, more because I enjoy the taste of homemade than for health benefits & since I'm a house wife, there's really no reason for me to opt for processed. Most of the meals I cook do not require any oils, and I avoid carbs & starches. So, now that that's all out of the way, if anyone has any tips or ideas [that aren't just questioning my ability to keep track of what I'm doing] I'd be glad to hear them.
    How are you avoiding carbs when you're eating bananas? Just curious.

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    The histamine in the food creates inflammation in the body
    Something in the food that you're allergic to (usually a protein) causes a reaction in the body, which reaction includes the release of histamine, which among other things causes inflammation.
    Not all calories are the same
    :banghead:
    That's like saying "not all inches are the same".
    A unit of measurement is a unit of measurement, and equal to all other of the same units of measurement.

OP: Your ticker says you want to lose 34 lb. Losing 0.5 lb per week would be a reasonable goal. 1 lb per week would be a lot, though possible at first.
    for the first few weeks, measuring by cups worked for weightloss (sic), I had been loosing (sic) 2lbs a week & now, I'm gaining, even though I'm following my same restrictions & diet.
    With so little to lose, 2 lb a week is a lot.
    And maybe at first you were eating at a deficit, but since you've lost a couple pounds now you're not.
    If you haven't lost at all in a month, cut 50-100 calories and be consistent about weighing your food. Give it another month.
    It's good that you're ignoring exercise calories. That's what my doctor & dietician told me to do. (In fact, they'd never heard of the concept of "net calories".)
    in 2012, I started going to the gym 2 hours a night doing a mix of cardio & cross training, following clean eating & gained 15lbs between jan-march, did not lose inches
    Muscle strengthening (growth) requires repair of the fibers which are damaged during exercise.
    That takes water. Probably not 15 lb worth (2 gallons), but that's some of it.
    "Clean eating" means nothing. There is no definition. If you're eating more calories than you need (and since you're gaining weight, you are), it doesn't matter whether they come from Twinkies or carrots, you will gain weight. (Nutrition-wise, yes, they're very different.)

Someone already posted a link to sexypants. Go read that.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Here's also a link to a post about accurate measuring & logging. Go read that too.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10012907/logging-accuracy-consistency-and-youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

Two other things you can try (and there are links in these blog posts to the scientific studies which support these ideas):

Eating higher protein & lower carbs leads to more weight loss.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-08-09-high-protein-diet-685553
    Try 45% carbs, 20% fat, 35% protein to stay within the healthy macro ranges.
    Here's a table which explains the healthy ranges:
    http://www.iom.edu/Global/News%20Announcements/~/media/C5CD2DD7840544979A549EC47E56A02B.ashx

Eat about half your calories for breakfast (see the last half of this post for the studies).
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-06-10-some-studies-about-weight-loss-667818

51637601.png
  • emilylong02
    emilylong02 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    For everyone who has posted along the lines of "are you actually eating more than you think" "are you actually creating a caloric deficit" "are you sure you have counted your calories properly" No. yes. yes. I've been counting for 5 years now, took a break when I got pregnant with baby #3 & now my body seems to be rejecting any dieting. I follow the 1410 calories that have been suggested by MFP & push to stay under, since my basal metabolic rate is in the 1500's I stay under anyway. I normally don't track my workouts to ensure I'm creating a deficit, because I don't like how the app automatically gives you "extra" calories. I follow the eat ever 2-3 hours rule & eat small, ie hard boiled egg white, banana etc. Also, I do my best to avoid processed food, more because I enjoy the taste of homemade than for health benefits & since I'm a house wife, there's really no reason for me to opt for processed. Most of the meals I cook do not require any oils, and I avoid carbs & starches. So, now that that's all out of the way, if anyone has any tips or ideas [that aren't just questioning my ability to keep track of what I'm doing] I'd be glad to hear them.

Have you tried talking to your doctor about this? It sounds like you are doing everything right, but it might be that there is something else that could be contributing to your weight gain.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary please? It will really be helpful with giving you advice.

Also, if you're eating low calories because you're short, I know how it is. Ever calorie matters. I can also tell you that cups and teaspoons aren't anywhere near as accurate as a digital food scale.

I've only been back on MFP for about 2 months max, I'm not quite mentally ready to open food diary to the world. The only issue I have with buying a food scale is that for the first few weeks, measuring by cups worked for weightloss, I had been loosing 2lbs a week & now, I'm gaining, even though I'm following my same restrictions & diet. So I KNOW it can be done

When you first start logging, it's easier to lose without weighing because you are being more aware about your intake, and eating less. As time goes on, you need to lock down and start weighing your food because there is less room for error.
  • JoanaMHill
    JoanaMHill Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    You can come on MFP or any other site at anytime and hear the same question.
    I am doing everything right, but gaining weight.
    You generally get the same answers.
    1. are you sure you are logging everything.
    2. are you sure you measure everything
    3. get a food scale
    4. what do your macros look like.
    5. change your diet.

You need to know the answer to one question! How much food can I eat of the food I am eating minus the activity I am doing and lose weight. That is why you are counting CALORIES.
    Once you have this number you can change the food you are eating and the exercise you are doing and the number will adjust up or down accordingly. i.e. if I take out sugar maybe I will be able to eat more calories, but maybe you won't.

The problem is you need to adjust your numbers manually or use something like I do that does it automatically. The static equation MFP and other sites use expect you to manually adjust.

Why is it all your replies need to have that picture of you in it?

Side note: I will never understand why people come looking for advice and then they refuse to have full disclosure and open their diaries. Basically it's looking for blind advice. Guesses until you hear the answer you want?

In most cases it's likely this. I'm not saying the OP is one of them, but a lot of people seem to want to hear that they're special snowflakes and break the laws of physics somehow so they can justify not putting effort into measuring and weighing their portions.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    All of the advice I offered is backed by strong recent scientific evidence of the effects your insulin is having. If you're already cutting calories and exercising and seeing no weight reduction you need to control the insulin spikes. Insulin is the hormone that saves the food you eat as fat. You're probably insulin resistant and you need to correct that issue first. Carbs are just glucose and effect the insulin to a much larger extent than fat or protein. You might want to read up on the paleo lifestyle. It's sound solid advice and it works in harmony with your bodies natural evolution. If you want further above PM me. There'll be a lot of people on here who'll dispute the above I've given, but 12.5kg since November 23 without hunger pangs and without counting calories is evidence to me it works. I don't even go to the gym or work out.

As it's a slow Sunday I'd be interested to read some of the evidence, not in terms of the general physiological effects, but specifically in regards to fat loss benefits over other approaches. Can you point me in the right direction please?

On a general note I don't doubt that the approach mentioned above would work, but for me it's overly restrictive in terms of food, and restriction for me leads to failure. Myself, I eat a varied diet of moderate carb, moderate fat, and high protein, restricting nothing if it fits in to my calorie and macronutrient goals.

I will give you the empirical evidence, me. I did what this person said to the "T" and lost 50 pounds while exercising. I eat a very nutrient-dense diet and won't turn back ever again to sweets and processed foods. It works - now the weight slowly comes off (since I am just below 170) and I am full of energy and life! Why change what works.

Not all calories are the same. Each work in a different manner metabolically. Each person is metabolically different. The best adjustment to make is to eliminate marginal foods to the point where the weight comes off, then keep eating those foods that allow for true weight loss.

Paleo works and it's super healthy. Never heard of a doctor state to me directly that eating veggies, olive oil, nuts, low GI fruits, and lean meats is a bad idea. Actually, that's exactly what they would want you to eat. Lose the processed sugar and you will be free.

And the kool-aid, don't forget to drink the kool-aid.

While I'm glad this diet works for you, you really didn't address the question. And you threw out some basic blah blah that is just downright wrong or incomplete.

In the context of a varied diet, exactly how does say a peach-calorie work different than a banana-calorie? After all, the "each work in a different manner metabolically", right?

or not.

Obviously, you don't understand the mechanics behind fiber and fruit. Not my problem. I answered her issues - she needs to eliminate any foods that are sucrose-based or processed-based foods altogether. Only then will she isolate the foods that are causing the issue and gear her body metabolically to utilize fat in her weight loss.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Options

Not really the evidence I was looking for. I'd also love to read the science behind your second paragraph, again, not the physiology, but in the context of weight loss benefits over other methods.

You are correct, there is absolutely no reason to change what works. For you.

You lost 50lbs because you ate at a calories deficit. You are no different to any other human being. You chose to do it by eliminating food groups and being restrictive. I lost 50 or so lbs by eating a balanced non-restrictive flexible diet. I also lost weight because I ate at a calorie deficit. It's all the same, just wrapped up in different clothing.

I'm also not sure what true weight loss is, maybe all non paleo weight loss is make believe?

I didn't eat a "calorie deficit" per se - I just stopped eating bad foods and ate ALL good foods. I was eating THREE large Haas avocados a day and I was NOT on MFP like y'all are trying to lose weight. I am on it now but already had lost 35 pounds and I was eating 20 oz of salmon a DAY. Eating steamed veggies in BULK. Eating fruit in BULK. I'll bet I was eating up to 2500 cals a day - prior to getting into weight training in July. Not only that, I was actually exercising LESS than I am now - I was burning less calories and not doing as much HIIT in that same time frame.

3 avocados - 900 cals - add 20 oz of salmon - that's another 1000 cals - that's just two foods. Add in fruit and veggies and nuts. Get it?
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Options

The ONLY reason a way of eating works for weight loss is because of calorie deficit.

Some people need to tweak their macros because of medical conditions. Barring one of those, everything comes down to personal preference.

OP, have you been to your doctor?

Honestly without you opening your diary, without you being willing to get a food scale, there's really not much else to be said.

Sorry lady, but you are wrong. My basal metabolic rate was 1500 and I was eating 2500 calories a day at the time I was losing the weight. I did not make that up in terms of cardio and I wasn't doing any weight training in the first three months I dumped 15 pounds. It just fell off. My doctor and personal trainer (whom I saw in the past and flat out told me that my diet was bad (last year)) validated what I am discussing. It's not about just calories and calorie deficit. It's about the food you are eating.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    Give NO SUGAR, NO GRAINS, NO VEGETABLE OILS, NO FRUIT JUICE a try. Cook only in animal derived fats, lard, dripping etc, coconut oil or olive oil. Eat plenty of leafy green veg and a small quantity of fruit just to kill any sugar cravings you might have. Keep the protein and fat high and your carbs low. Limit dairy to only full fat products. Only eat when you're hungry. This means don't stick to breakfast, lunch, dinner. Read labels for added sugar. You need to fat adapt your body so that it burns fat not sugar (carbs). Don't panic if you feel like crap after a few days, that's your body switching over. Within a week you'll start to feel like you have more energy and clearer thoughts. As a result of using this diet, after trying just about every other diet out there and getting frustrated, my doctor has taken me off blood pressure tablets and statins and I've lost 12.5kg in two months without once feeling hungry or lacking energy.

I'm very happy for your success and especially about no longer needing medication, but for many people, this method will simply not be sustainable.

just drink water and eat raw vegetables…

good lord, NO ..

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

The ONLY reason a way of eating works for weight loss is because of calorie deficit.

Some people need to tweak their macros because of medical conditions. Barring one of those, everything comes down to personal preference.

Honestly without you opening your diary, without you being willing to get a food scale, there's really not much else to be said.

Sorry lady, but you are wrong. My basal metabolic rate was 1500 and I was eating 2500 calories a day at the time I was losing the weight. I did not make that up in terms of cardio and I wasn't doing any weight training in the first three months I dumped 15 pounds. It just fell off. My doctor and personal trainer (whom I saw in the past and flat out told me that my diet was bad (last year)) validated what I am discussing. It's not about just calories and calorie deficit. It's about the food you are eating.

Sorry dude, but you are wrong. You don't defy the laws of physics, and without you having counted calories, there is no way of knowing what your intake was. Also? You count your intake vs. your TDEE to calculate your deficit/maintenance, not your BMR. I'm sure your TDEE is considerably higher than 1500.

It is not about the food you are eating. It's about the calories you're consuming vs. the energy your body burns.

• ndj1979
    Options

NO, no, and no …

anecdotal evidence with a sample size of one is not empirical evidence…

Paleo is the biggest joke ever.

and yes all calories are the same = a measure of energy. 100 calories of apples = 100 calories of twinkies...
  • ndj1979
    edited January 2015
    Options

LOL "it just fell off" ….where did it go to the magical universe that you live in that defies the laws of math and physics??????

you ate in a deficit by restricting sugar to a point that put you in a calorie deficit…

another X-files MFP case closed….
  • ana3067
    Options

And the kool-aid, don't forget to drink the kool-aid.

While I'm glad this diet works for you, you really didn't address the question. And you threw out some basic blah blah that is just downright wrong or incomplete.

In the context of a varied diet, exactly how does say a peach-calorie work different than a banana-calorie? After all, the "each work in a different manner metabolically", right?

or not.

Obviously, you don't understand the mechanics behind fiber and fruit. Not my problem. I answered her issues - she needs to eliminate any foods that are sucrose-based or processed-based foods altogether. Only then will she isolate the foods that are causing the issue and gear her body metabolically to utilize fat in her weight loss.
    Woops, guess I haven't actually lost 25+ lbs eating sucrose-based foods or "process-based" foods.