Eating right & excersing, but gaining weight

Options
15678911»

Replies

• Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    Just because you are not losing doesn't necessarily mean it's because you are over eating. You may actually be under eating.

Can someone please explain to me how undereating will make you stall or gain weight?? I read this over and over....

it won't. that myth needs to die. actually, it has been said less lately on myfitnesspal, probably since i heard they changed the warning not to say that when you eat less than 1200 calories now.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    bwogilvie wrote: »
    Hey, if everyone in this thread would take a deep breath and pause for a moment, here is an interesting, relevant fact: a 2005 report from the Institute of Medicine noted that observational studies (not estimates) showed that the average male between the ages of 19 and 50 expended over 3,000 calories a day. The average female in the same age bracket expended over 2,400 calories a day. (Source: Marion Nestle and Malden Nesheim, Why Calories Count: From Science to Politics [Berkeley: University of California Press, 2012], p. 80, table 12, summarizing the Institute of Medicine of the National Academies, Dietary Reference Intakes for Energy [Washington, DC: National Academies Press, 2005].)

Given these figures, and what people report eating, it might seem surprising that there's an obesity problem at all. The reason there is, as Nestle and Nesheim also point out, is that most people significantly underestimate their calorie intake, as many studies have shown, to the point where a number of prominent researchers have suggested that it is time to stop using self-reported energy intake in scientific research, because it is so bad.

My takeaway is that it's best to be consistent in how you log, even if it's not accurate, and to adjust your goal downward until you achieve reasonable weight loss without excessive deprivation. Don't put too much reliance on the actual numbers.

but isn't the average person overweight? This is circular. It's more interesting to hear what the average person within a healthy weight expends.

Most "averages" are based on healthy weight individuals. At least that's waht I recall is used for nutrition guides.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »
    I don't take pics of me because I don't have to. I am going to my medical file public when I go in for my physical and demonstrate the before and after through weight. Then I am going to make my PBFs public so you can feel humiliated further. At that point, what will your responses be - "I am not on the payroll"???

I am one of those most honest people on Earth. I don't need to post pics to prove it. What you see is what you get. Go find your hole and sit in it.

@tedboosalis7‌ You do realize that the only person who should feel humiliated is you, right? You continue to humiliate yourself by claiming you lost weight while you were not in a calorie deficit.

Oh of course! I am the one who lost 50 pounds and is down to just below 170#, gained muscle, and lost PBF to normal levels.

DUH!!!! WTF!

So you first went on a calorie deficit without purposely tracking your intake? Check, weight loss.
    You then went on a calorie surplus in order to gain muscle mass, and thus increase your weight? I'm guessing not.

BalCalories2.png

Hopefully this image will help him understand and knock some sense into him. Maybe he is a visual person.

something tells me that is not going to help at all ….

At this point, I have to agree. I've lost all faith in humanity.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Just because you are not losing doesn't necessarily mean it's because you are over eating. You may actually be under eating.

Under eating does not lead to weight gain, but miscalculating calories in and/or calories out can lead to weight gain if your are eating at a surplus and don't realize it.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Can someone please explain to me how undereating will make you stall or gain weight?? I read this over and over....
    It doesn't.
  • ana3067
    edited January 2015
    Options
    BTW, this is what a calorie deficit doeds, while still eating "bad" food. 25+lb loss, about halfway to my goals. I'm super eager to reach the rest of my goals though, so this is just the beginning.

This is super old, but basically similar to where I was when I started in June:
    Untitled_zps8b656041.png

Then from mid-summer to now
    CAM00080_zps0texvo1q.jpg
    Untitled_zps74f4c3d9.png
    IMG_20141230_092443_zps9ovmdbjo.jpg
    progress_zps5bc1b0e5.png

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Wowsas, well done Ana!!
    I wish I would have thought to take proper before and after pictures.
  • ana3067
    Options
    Wowsas, well done Ana!!
    I wish I would have thought to take proper before and after pictures.

Thanks! Although I never took before pics from the very start of THIS journey, but I regained to a similar size that I was at 4-5 years ago anyways. I am glad I've taken the pictures that I have, though. It will be nice to compare when I get to my goal!
  • spunmommy
    spunmommy Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    If you're honestly and accurately logging your food for 2 months you should have more than enough data to make some educated tweaks to your diet and see if you can get the scale moving again. Look at your eating week to week, look at what you're eating and see if you see a trend some where. I was feeling like crap and noticed I'd had fewer than 55 grams of carbs for 3 days in a row, I added a few berries and some sweet potato back into the rotation and poof, headaches gone.

You are an experiment of one. What works for other people may not work for you. If the same thing that always worked isn't working anymore, try something different.

• bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    bwogilvie wrote: »
    Hey, if everyone in this thread would take a deep breath and pause for a moment, here is an interesting, relevant fact: a 2005 report from the Institute of Medicine noted that observational studies (not estimates) showed that the average male between the ages of 19 and 50 expended over 3,000 calories a day. The average female in the same age bracket expended over 2,400 calories a day. (Source: Marion Nestle and Malden Nesheim, Why Calories Count: From Science to Politics [Berkeley: University of California Press, 2012], p. 80, table 12, summarizing the Institute of Medicine of the National Academies, Dietary Reference Intakes for Energy [Washington, DC: National Academies Press, 2005].)

Given these figures, and what people report eating, it might seem surprising that there's an obesity problem at all. The reason there is, as Nestle and Nesheim also point out, is that most people significantly underestimate their calorie intake, as many studies have shown, to the point where a number of prominent researchers have suggested that it is time to stop using self-reported energy intake in scientific research, because it is so bad.

My takeaway is that it's best to be consistent in how you log, even if it's not accurate, and to adjust your goal downward until you achieve reasonable weight loss without excessive deprivation. Don't put too much reliance on the actual numbers.

but isn't the average person overweight? This is circular. It's more interesting to hear what the average person within a healthy weight expends.

I had thought about that. But my conclusion is that no, it's not, because this is a question of observed expenditure vs. reported intake. People report that they're eating less than measurements indicate that they expend, but they're overweight and slowly gaining. That's the real takeaway: we are very bad at estimating how many calories we eat, and we think we're eating fewer.

Even if a person at a normal weight is expending 15-20% fewer calories than those averages, it's likely that she or he thinks they're eating even fewer.

It's also possible that people who use a site like MFP are more aware of their caloric needs than the average person. But based on forum discussions, I'm certain that's not true in every case! :D
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    spunmommy wrote: »
    If you're honestly and accurately logging your food for 2 months you should have more than enough data to make some educated tweaks to your diet and see if you can get the scale moving again. Look at your eating week to week, look at what you're eating and see if you see a trend some where. I was feeling like crap and noticed I'd had fewer than 55 grams of carbs for 3 days in a row, I added a few berries and some sweet potato back into the rotation and poof, headaches gone.

You are an experiment of one. What works for other people may not work for you. If the same thing that always worked isn't working anymore, try something different.

I'm going to repeat this, because this is sound advice. I need to tweak my carbs to feel satisfied too.

The OP does seem resistant to things that will help her like more accurate measuring, though.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I can't wait to post my results of my physical. Everyone around me as a true support system is excited because it's due to eating real food. REAL FOOD!!!! AAAHAHAHAHA

I would also like to point out, that every single person that losing weight, regardless of method, will improve their health markers. If I can dig up my other bloodwork from the past 3 years, i will post it, but they have improved every year.

BTW, we also eat real food. If you don't believe me, look at my diary or any other person's diary in this thread.