Replies

• Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    Nope, I'm cool with GMOS.
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    There are problems with GM foods and the hybridization of wheat has made people sicker. I don't see how GM corn and soybeans are helping with world hunger, but it is clear that mega corporations are profiting. There are much more efficient ways of farming then splicing genes in a lab and then mono-cropping that frankenfood.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It's just my opinion but the things I found out about GMO's aren't the greatest for you.

You are doing fine by finding out and learning stuff.

gr7iuhwmz55a.png

• jwedebro
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    miriamtob wrote: »
    If you watch the video in the link I posted above, she talks about the different patented seeds. There are seeds which will only germinate if they are fertilized with monsanto's fertilizer. This only profits the mega corporations, not the farmers or the consumer. Other countries are not allowing some of the modifications to food that we see in the US until they are proved harmless. Since the early 90's the FDA has been giving the go ahead to food GMOs on the premise that they are safe until proven dangerous. Many people with gluten sensitivity find that when they go to Europe, they do not react as badly to wheat products.

The bolded part I agree with. Monsanto is a big bully -- paying off politicians, taking small farmers to court, . . ..
    Their food itself is safe to eat.

Agreed. The scientific consensus at present is that GMO food is safe for human consumption. Disliking Monsanto's business practices is a separate issue.
  • aplcr0331
    aplcr0331 Posts: 186 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Norman Ernest Borlaug

My niece is all over the GMO thing like white on rice. She goes to rallies, watches "documentaries" *snicker*, and reads lots of self fulfilling articles about the horrors of GMO's.

Smokes the hell out of the most genetically modified plant in the world however.

http://geneticliteracyproject.org/2013/10/08/with-2000-global-studies-confirming-safety-gm-foods-among-most-analyzed-subject-in-science/

If you actually value learning this article shows links to actual studies. Not conclusions based on bias and force fed through a "documentary" with zero balance, zero critical thinking, and zero grounding in the real world.

But scared people are easier to control.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid consuming large amounts of GMOs.
  • zoodocgirl
    zoodocgirl Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    If you watch the video in the link I posted above, she talks about the different patented seeds. There are seeds which will only germinate if they are fertilized with monsanto's fertilizer. This only profits the mega corporations, not the farmers or the consumer. Other countries are not allowing some of the modifications to food that we see in the US until they are proved harmless. Since the early 90's the FDA has been giving the go ahead to food GMOs on the premise that they are safe until proven dangerous. Many people with gluten sensitivity find that when they go to Europe, they do not react as badly to wheat products.

The bolded part I agree with. Monsanto is a big bully -- paying off politicians, taking small farmers to court, . . ..
    Their food itself is safe to eat.

This. I am 1000% fine with the actual science. I pretty much hate the politics and environmental implications.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Nope, I'm not that worried about it.
  • 4homer
    4homer Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    MTDDS18 wrote: »
    What's so horrible about GMO's exactly?

Hopefully you don't ever need to take insulin, a genetically modified bacteria is used to make it.

eta: I don't mean to come off as snarky, but having my BS in biology it often gets me riled up when people attack GMOs and generally have no solid evidence backing up their claims other than biased documentaries and websites with an agenda.

Without GMOs there would be an even larger gap in those who go hungry and don't have enough food to eat. Farmers are being driven to grow more food than ever on less land than ever, without GMOs that would be impossible. Oh yeah, those fruits and vegetables you (probably) love, wouldn't be half the size without genetic modification.
    ^^^I agree the person who understands the science behind it.
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    So, they splice soil bacterial DNA with corn DNA to make it weed resistant and fish DNA with strawberries to make it frost resistant. This would never happen on its own in nature. Scientific studies are often flawed especially when so many special interests are involved. Allergies and autoimmune diseases are on the rise big time. I know correlation is not causation, but show me a really good study on how safe GMOs are, please.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    So, they splice soil bacterial DNA with corn DNA to make it weed resistant and fish DNA with strawberries to make it frost resistant. This would never happen on its own in nature. Scientific studies are often flawed especially when so many special interests are involved. Allergies and autoimmune diseases are on the rise big time. I know correlation is not causation, but show me a really good study on how safe GMOs are, please.
    There's soil in the corn?!! And fish in the berries? !!
    Who cares?
    Besides, you and OP are claiming GMOs are dangerous. So the burden of proof is on you, I would imagine.
  • frootums
    frootums Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    There is so much misinformation going around about GMO's, it's terrible. Many of the American public are swayed by the fact that a leading promoter of GMO's is a corporation that has had a large share of notoriety in the past however it doesn't take away from the fact that GMO's are a wholly positive introduction to our world.

The ability to create stronger, more nutritious plants with MUCH larger crop yields and efficiency. People seem to have this absurd idea that GMO's = an evil scientist injecting a tomato with fluro chemicals but the process is incredibly safe and very intricate.

Aside from the benefits it has to the everyday consumer, it is terribly ignorant to fob them off as being bad when you come from a developed country. Consider under-developed countries with arid environments that do not take well to many crops. GMO's increase the chance of successful crops being harvested in a larger scale to be used for poorer communities so please do consider that.

Almost all (if not every?) current fresh harvest we have has technically been genetically modified, we've just become more clever and inventive with the things we can do to plants.
  • aplcr0331
    Options
    but show me a really good study on how safe GMOs are, please.

http://www.geneticliteracyproject.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Ge-crops-safety-pub-list-1.xls

At the above link, there is a spreadsheet with over 1500 scientific articles that show GMO's are safe. Knock. Your. Self. Out.

• KarolJohnson2127
    KarolJohnson2127 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    People have been "genetically modifying" crops since we started growing them thousands of years ago. Except it was slow and took many generations. Now we can do it in a lab and people freak out from it. It's really no different, only the process is sped up. Get over it.
  • frootums
    Options
    Many people with gluten sensitivity find that when they go to Europe, they do not react as badly to wheat products.

Hahaha, okay, you know that many countries in Europe are actually huge advocates of GMO's and they're pretty much a staple in markets there right? Also what you said is just... it makes no sense, if it has gluten, then someone with "gluten sensitivity" will react to it, sounds more like those people are just lying about being gluten intolerant and are just following the trend.

Don't try to pass Monsanto's corporate irresponsibility as a be-all identifier about GMO's. That's an issue with corporations in the US, not a reflection on GMO's as A GLOBAL TOPIC.
  • TBrownCVT
    TBrownCVT Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Much of the problem with GMOs isn't even the modifications themselves (although mixing my food with bacteria that kill insects or with a virus just doesn't sound all that safe to me). One major reason they are doing it is to be able to use more and stronger herbicides and pesticides. They are spraying our food with more and more chemicals. Plus, cross-pollination is causing the weeds to become resistant, so they engineer stronger plants and use more chemicals, and the cycle continues.
  • frootums
    Options
    TBrownCVT wrote: »
    Much of the problem with GMOs isn't even the modifications themselves (although mixing my food with bacteria that kill insects or with a virus just doesn't sound all that safe to me). One major reason they are doing it is to be able to use more and stronger herbicides and pesticides. They are spraying our food with more and more chemicals. Plus, cross-pollination is causing the weeds to become resistant, so they engineer stronger plants and use more chemicals, and the cycle continues.

No, they create SMARTER and more efficient pesticides & herbicides. You realize that organic produce uses pesticides too right? :P
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    Options
    GMOs save lives. You clearly didn't get all the information.
  • aplcr0331
    edited January 2015
    Options
    An overview of the last 10 years of genetically engineered crop safety
    research - http://www.geneticliteracyproject.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Nicolia-20131.pdf

Here's the link, AGAIN, to over 1500 scientific papers on GMO's.

http://www.geneticliteracyproject.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Ge-crops-safety-pub-list-1.xls
  • TBrownCVT
    TBrownCVT Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    frootums wrote: »

No, they create SMARTER and more efficient pesticides & herbicides. You realize that organic produce uses pesticides too right? :P

If they were creating "smarter and more efficient pesticides and herbicides" why would they need to genetically modify the plants?
    Yes, pesticides are a necessary evil. Without them too many crops would be lost. I still prefer a sprayed on pesticide that can be washed off over a built-in pesticide that's part of my food.
This discussion has been closed.