Say "NO" to GMO!

Options

Replies

• kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    No GMO's aren't good for us and have been proven. There has been testing on rats and the rat that only ate GMO foods ended suffering from a big tumour. Watched a documentary. Yes GMO's feeds more people but we are feeding people not the healthiest foods. It's my opinion that eating organic non GMO foods are better because GMO isn't natural.

Oh my God! You mean a fully recessive, genetically manipulated rat that is designed to grow tumors grew a tumor? Whaaaat?

Seriously, you might have a leg to stand on when you talk about big business practices of large scale commercial farming. But there is NO evidence that GMOs are harmful. And, as someone with celiac disease, please stop throwing that nonsense about gluten sensitivity around. It was based on one small study that the author later recanted because the thesis did not hold up in a larger, more diverse population. Hurray science!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Sorry maybe I should of said it differently.

Maybe you should base your opinions on peer reviewed research and not on the opinions of others.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    In my opinion GMO foods are not natural. But if you don't agree that's fine.

i agree with you. as long as we're in agreement that "not natural" means didn't happen on it's own or because of God's Will or something like that. i totally agree with GMO, by definition, is not natural.

other things we can probably agree that aren't natural:

1. cooking my meat to eliminate deadly bacteria and for enhanced flavor and texture
    2. wearing clothes to protect my body from the elements
    3. prescription vision correction by wearing glasses, contacts, or eye surgery.

But i'm not about to run around naked eating rancid meat while driving into light poles, now am I?

Using science to advance the living condition of the human race. It's what's up.
  • maxwellnyce
    maxwellnyce Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    No GMO's aren't good for us and have been proven. There has been testing on rats and the rat that only ate GMO foods ended suffering from a big tumour. Watched a documentary. Yes GMO's feeds more people but we are feeding people not the healthiest foods. It's my opinion that eating organic non GMO foods are better because GMO isn't natural.

Yes, you have a right to your opinion, whatever it may be. And the people responding have the same right. Unfortunately, science is not conducted by asserting opinions. For example, your opinion on whether drug A will cure some cancer is inconsequential. Instead, peer-reviewed, double-blind studies are conducted investigating the efficacy and safety of drug A. The study will provide information we can use to guide our decision-making. This is the same type of process used when evaluating "GMO" food.
    Saying all GMO a is the same is the same as saying there is only one type of cancer. The truth is much more complicated than that. People go to school for many years to understand this stuff. A 50 minute biased documentary cannot satisfactorily present you with all the facts.
    Once again, I applaud you right to voice your opinion. I would encourage you to have a thoroughly investigated opinion. You mentioned watching one documentary that mentioned one research project. This does not qualify as convincing evidence in any field.
  • KMCbluestar
    KMCbluestar Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Anyways, thank you for sharing your thoughts I appreciate it, just don't know if I agree. Thank you again
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    No I heard about GMO's for a long time actually but never cared about it till now. If you have nothing good to say then why say it.

No one wants you to be upset and defensive. A close reading of some of the posts and links provided might benefit you, and if you still wish to refute the points made, then you may do so. But people are going to call out things they disagree with--that's part of posting on a message board instead of to a like-minded group of friends.
  • maxwellnyce
    Options
    You're welcome and I hope you take the time learn more about it... from an objective point of view, of course!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Anyways, thank you for sharing your thoughts I appreciate it, just don't know if I agree. Thank you again
    You're making progress.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options

Re-posting this since it seems to have been missed.
    http://www.geneticliteracyproject.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Ge-crops-safety-pub-list-1.xls

At the above link, there is a spreadsheet with over 1500 scientific articles that show GMO's are safe. Knock. Your. Self. Out.

I'd also suggest looking up Golden Rice.
  • maxwellnyce
    Options
    I sincerely hope that you will click on the link above. None of us on this board are trying to deceive you or disagree with you for disagreement's sake. We only want you to be informed.
  • KMCbluestar
    Options
    http://youtu.be/Ec1Rvd4lyNw this was one of the videos I found.
  • KMCbluestar
    Options
    This is why I don't agree.
  • maxwellnyce
    Options
    One question for you:
    Are you more inclined to believe a video on YouTube made by someone with little to no credentials or a large body of scientists who have cross-checked one another and have conducted extensive tests?
  • KMCbluestar
    Options
    Yes
  • Fayve
    Fayve Posts: 411 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Wat

3cd8a33a.png?1306264975
  • maxwellnyce
    Options
    Please tell the good folks here at MFP what state you are from. We need to know what senator to call.
  • KMCbluestar
    Options
    Why?
  • maxwellnyce
    Options
    Your school system absolutely failed you.
  • Fayve
    Fayve Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Why?

Well you did just answer an "A or B" question with "yes", for starters.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Sigh....you know, I don't usually use Wikipedia as a source but it pretty much strikes down everything that young woman in that video said. Early strains did indeed produce insufficient amounts of Vitamin A. New strains of rice were developed to combat that problem.

And the comment about higher crop yields? "The University of California and Rutgers University have conducted studies showing "...higher crop yields, reduced pesticide use and fewer pesticide-related health problems..." amongst Chinese farmers who used GM rice strains. This was published in the peer reviewed journal Science in 2005."

And I'll repost that comment again:
    http://www.geneticliteracyproject.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Ge-crops-safety-pub-list-1.xls

At the above link, there is a spreadsheet with over 1500 scientific articles that show GMO's are safe. Knock. Your. Self. Out.
This discussion has been closed.