Disturbing Biggest Loser article

Options

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    The regime they go through on BL is very, very hard. I have respect for anyone with the mental fortitude to see it through completion.

Yeah, like everyone that succeeds in hammering a nail through their foot. It's hard and stupid.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    MoiAussi93 wrote:
    they ARE supervised by doctors. I think the 3 or 4 serious health issues the show has had are not that surprising considering how many contestants they have had over the years... All seriously obese. Most just have minor things most athletes or people trying to get in shape on their own deal with.
    Did you read the article??
    The part where the gal says her period stopped, and even now, years after the show, it's still irregular? (And she's only in her 30's.)
    Or the part where her knees are wrecked, and they were OK before?
    Or the part where her hair fell out during the show, and it still happens now?
    Or the part where her friends took her to the doctor as soon as she got home, and the doctor was amazed she was still walking, she was so badly injured?
    It's sad some of the people undid all the progress they made on the show... but I don't blame the show for that.
    If the show taught them how to lose weight in a healthy way, instead of what they do, it's more likely they'd keep (most of) the weight off long-term.
    What they're put through is a VLCD + extreme workouts (hours per day, like more than 6 hours per day).
    That's not realistic.
    Learning to eat a varied diet of healthy foods in reasonable amounts, plus exercising at least 30 minutes every day, is realistic, and will result in healthy weight loss while being sustainable.
    I read it. But I think the person obviously has an axe to grind. It is easy to blame all health issues on the show, but the reality is morbid obesity on its own causes all kinds of health problems...bad knees, problems with menstrual periods, etc. And weight loss...all by itself even if done by more typical means...can also cause hair loss. Any shock to the system...a lot of weight loss, surgery, even stress...can cause hair loss. So can a restricted diet...even if you are getting at least 1200 calories but are deficient in any one of a number of vitamins and minerals. If any of these are the cause, once corrected it WILL grow back. So if she is still having hair loss now, it is not because she ate too little and exercised too much on the show.

In addition, people who lose weight slowly are no more likely to keep it off than those who lose quickly. MOST people who lose weight...by any means...eventually put it back on. Unless you make permanent changes, that is what happens. If you have the mentality that when you hit some magic number you are "done", you will fail to keep it off long term.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote:

In addition, people who lose weight slowly are no more likely to keep it off than those who lose quickly. MOST people who lose weight...by any means...eventually put it back on. Unless you make permanent changes, that is what happens. If you have the mentality that when you hit some magic number you are "done", you will fail to keep it off long term.

This is very true. Every time I tried a crash diet and lost weight, I put it right back on because I was done with that darned diet.

When I lose my weight about 12 years ago, I was doing okay, but I still had those days when I was done with that darned diet, and I ended up putting 35 back on in a matter of 5 years.

Since learning some new tools on MFP, and joining a few years back, weighing food, logging, moving, and accepting me for me, I have learned to take care of myself every single day. I am never done, and I will never be done, because my goal is to keep control of my weight to maintain.

There really is no magic number on the scale, and I'm never done.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I would take this article with a grain of salt. I'm sure that some of this happens, but I think she's exaggerating a lot. I remember this particular contestant and she was pissed when she left.

The two parts that really don't make sense to me is the calories she mentioning and the whole "couldn't leave when child was in the ICU" bit.

There have been several contestants over the years who have left for an episode and allowed to come back for family emergency reasons (and one who's wife gave birth). I have a hard time believing they wouldn't let someone leave for a child in the ICU. And I certainly wouldn't let greed stand in the way of leaving to see my sick child. I would have gone regardless of if they threw me off the show or not.

Also, the trainers yell at contestants who eat less than 1200 calories a day. They are constantly saying "you HAVE to eat to lose weight". Now they don't eat back exercise calories (which puts them into a dangerous deficit and is why they lose so much weight so fast), but they are supposed to eat at least 1200 calories for women and 1500 for the men. If she was eating 400 calories, I really don't think her trainer knew.

Or maybe I've just had the wool pulled over my eyes. I'm just going by what is repeated over and over again on the show. And, yes, I watch the show. I don't agree with their methods, but I find the increases in their fitness over time inspiring, which is why I watch. It's my guilty pleasure, mindless tv show.

1200 or 1500 calories sounds like it would still be close to starvation with the amount of exercise they are made to do. the yelling sounds insincere if they only yell for those limits.

didn't watch the show though, so i could be totally off.
  • jessicamcfarland165
    Options
    For those saying, "why didn't you just leave," you obviously don't understand the psychology of taking people with already low self-esteem and putting them in a complete blackout of contact with anyone that they know or feel comfortable with, severely restricting diets and dramatically increasing activity, all the while berating them and telling them that they are lucky that anyone cares about them at all. That's how abusive relationships work. That's how cults work. Thanks for the article, never watched the show but spreading the word.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    I don't know. I would take this article with a grain of salt. I'm sure that some of this happens, but I think she's exaggerating a lot. I remember this particular contestant and she was pissed when she left.

The two parts that really don't make sense to me is the calories she mentioning and the whole "couldn't leave when child was in the ICU" bit.

There have been several contestants over the years who have left for an episode and allowed to come back for family emergency reasons (and one who's wife gave birth). I have a hard time believing they wouldn't let someone leave for a child in the ICU. And I certainly wouldn't let greed stand in the way of leaving to see my sick child. I would have gone regardless of if they threw me off the show or not.

Also, the trainers yell at contestants who eat less than 1200 calories a day. They are constantly saying "you HAVE to eat to lose weight". Now they don't eat back exercise calories (which puts them into a dangerous deficit and is why they lose so much weight so fast), but they are supposed to eat at least 1200 calories for women and 1500 for the men. If she was eating 400 calories, I really don't think her trainer knew.

Or maybe I've just had the wool pulled over my eyes. I'm just going by what is repeated over and over again on the show. And, yes, I watch the show. I don't agree with their methods, but I find the increases in their fitness over time inspiring, which is why I watch. It's my guilty pleasure, mindless tv show.

1200 or 1500 calories sounds like it would still be close to starvation with the amount of exercise they are made to do. the yelling sounds insincere if they only yell for those limits.

I say "yell", but its usually more like a sit down chat. A lot of the contestants go really nuts with restricting calories at the beginning and there's usually at least one that the trainers have to talk to about not eating enough.

I agree that 1200 & 1500 is low for the amount of exercise they are doing. That's why they lose so quickly. It's not healthy. But my point is that I find it unlikely that her trainer was supporting a 400 calorie diet. It's just not what you see when you watch the show.

I'm not pretending to know the ins & outs of everything that happens on the ranch. I'm just commenting as someone who's watched most of the seasons (including the one this contestant was on). She definitely was one with "an ax to grind" so to speak. She wasn't happy when she was voted off and I've seen more than one negative article from her in the past. So just take what she's saying with that in mind.
  • CJDaniel7
    CJDaniel7 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I am not unsympathetic to the stories coming from the Ranch. Three cheers to Jillian who had the moral decency to step away from a bad situation. (She was always my favorite). How different is this from Judy Garland, Gary Coleman or the thousands of other stars that were physically, sexually or mentally abused by the entertainment industry.

You know what your getting into people. How many of us here, given the chance to go to the Ranch would turn it down? People need to learn to take personal responsibility for themselves, in any situation. If that means saying no, and getting kicked off the show then fine. If it means after articles like this, audience should stop watching the show then do it.

Personally I have watched 10? seasons of the show, sitting down in front of the TV and it inspired me almost zero. My weight has been up and down like a yo yo. I want to say that it is educational about exercise and food, but I think I have always know what they have taught. Now is the time to move and for us MFP family to do it together.

• Aviva92
    Options

I say "yell", but its usually more like a sit down chat. A lot of the contestants go really nuts with restricting calories at the beginning and there's usually at least one that the trainers have to talk to about not eating enough.

I agree that 1200 & 1500 is low for the amount of exercise they are doing. That's why they lose so quickly. It's not healthy. But my point is that I find it unlikely that her trainer was supporting a 400 calorie diet. It's just not what you see when you watch the show.

I'm not pretending to know the ins & outs of everything that happens on the ranch. I'm just commenting as someone who's watched most of the seasons (including the one this contestant was on). She definitely was one with "an ax to grind" so to speak. She wasn't happy when she was voted off and I've seen more than one negative article from her in the past. So just take what she's saying with that in mind.

fair enough. the 400 calories was probably an exaggeration.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    For those saying, "why didn't you just leave," you obviously don't understand the psychology of taking people with already low self-esteem and putting them in a complete blackout of contact with anyone that they know or feel comfortable with, severely restricting diets and dramatically increasing activity, all the while berating them and telling them that they are lucky that anyone cares about them at all. That's how abusive relationships work. That's how cults work. Thanks for the article, never watched the show but spreading the word.

Comparing this show to abusive relationships and cults is a bit ridiculous.

I've seen the show, and the contestants go through grueling workouts. It's all there on TV. Therefore, if someone chooses to be on the show, they have most likely watched it, thus they know some of what they are getting into. These contestants are victimizing themselves by getting into the show in the first place, and then allowing others to shame them about their weight. Sure, they may have low self esteem, and they may not, but they choose whether to stay or go. We can never say what motivates them to stay because we are not in their individual pairs of shoes.

Seriously, these people can leave anytime they want. If they signed a contract, all it takes is breaking it. It's done all the time.

• Aviva92
    Options
    CJDaniel7 wrote: »
    I am not unsympathetic to the stories coming from the Ranch. Three cheers to Jillian who had the moral decency to step away from a bad situation. (She was always my favorite). How different is this from Judy Garland, Gary Coleman or the thousands of other stars that were physically, sexually or mentally abused by the entertainment industry.

You know what your getting into people. How many of us here, given the chance to go to the Ranch would turn it down? People need to learn to take personal responsibility for themselves, in any situation. If that means saying no, and getting kicked off the show then fine. If it means after articles like this, audience should stop watching the show then do it.

Personally I have watched 10? seasons of the show, sitting down in front of the TV and it inspired me almost zero. My weight has been up and down like a yo yo. I want to say that it is educational about exercise and food, but I think I have always know what they have taught. Now is the time to move and for us MFP family to do it together.

yeah, i would turn down the chance to be on pretty much any reality tv show, unless i'm going to get millions for it, guaranteed. for $900 a week? no way. it needs to be life changing money. even then, i'd probably turn it down. vomiting blood sounds unpleasant.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    tomatoey wrote: »
    segacs wrote: »
    It's about whether NBC and the show's creators (and everyone associated with it) are responsible for the damage that they're doing to millions of people who watch.

NBC's intentions are exploitative, reckless and profit driven, no doubt.

But the damage this show causes or has the potential to cause does have to be agreed to.

And with that said, I do feel sorry for anyone who signs up for the show and anyone duped into thinking this would be a good way to lose weight.

I'm so glad I got rid of cable TV a year ago!

Do they really know what they're getting into, though?

They probably don't, no. That's why I feel sorry for them. But it's up to them to investigate every angle independently before signing up or confer with someone in the know who is relatively unbiased. Plus, they've probably watched the show so although they may be unfamiliar with the real medical risks, they do have an inkling of the suffering and hardship involved.

This. Can't help but to feel bad for them. Yes they choose to do it, but I'm sure wanting to lose weight is just as important as the money. Unrealistic eating and exercising goals are a recipe for disaster and one, paycheck or not, I probably wouldn't be willing to push myself towards.

the money of $900 a week? that isn't a lot of money. i doubt that's a big motivator at all.

I'm guessing it's the prize money that's really the motivator.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    tomatoey wrote: »
    It's about whether NBC and the show's creators (and everyone associated with it) are responsible for the damage that they're doing to millions of people who watch.

NBC's intentions are exploitative, reckless and profit driven, no doubt.

But the damage this show causes or has the potential to cause does have to be agreed to.

And with that said, I do feel sorry for anyone who signs up for the show and anyone duped into thinking this would be a good way to lose weight.

I'm so glad I got rid of cable TV a year ago!

Do they really know what they're getting into, though?

They probably don't, no. That's why I feel sorry for them. But it's up to them to investigate every angle independently before signing up or confer with someone in the know who is relatively unbiased. Plus, they've probably watched the show so although they may be unfamiliar with the real medical risks, they do have an inkling of the suffering and hardship involved.

This. Can't help but to feel bad for them. Yes they choose to do it, but I'm sure wanting to lose weight is just as important as the money. Unrealistic eating and exercising goals are a recipe for disaster and one, paycheck or not, I probably wouldn't be willing to push myself towards.

the money of $900 a week? that isn't a lot of money. i doubt that's a big motivator at all.

I'm guessing it's the prize money that's really important.

And, that's the bottom line.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    yeah, i would turn down the chance to be on pretty much any reality tv show.

Same here. No way in heck would I go near any of those so-called "reality" shows, not for all the money in the world.

But millions of people apply for these things all the time, even though you can say that they "ought" to know better.

The sad reality is, there are always vulnerable people out there who are "easy prey" for TV networks and studio executives. They learned with shows like Survivor that they don't have to pay actors millions when they can find people to volunteer to be on these "reality" shows for peanuts, and still make a profit.
  • Jimmyftw94
    Jimmyftw94 Posts: 75 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Being on the show may be rough and they may treat you badly, but at the end of the day, they are helping you to achieve your weight lost goal.

Calling the contestants degrading names has a psychological effect to make them work harder. They are doing this to help the contestants.

If you cannot handle the hard work or emotional distress, then probably the show isn't right for you.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Meh, I don't care much about the short-term awfulness, yelling, and vomiting. It's bad, but the people joining the show know that's going to happen given previous seasons.

However, anything that causes long-term physical damage is unacceptable. There's no reason why the contestants cannot sue the show and the trainers if they knew they were doing unsafe things to the contestants. As an example, even if you sign a piece of paper that says "I know you are going to murder me, and I'm OK with it." murder is still illegal, and the murderer is culpable. I'm surprise this show has gotten away with it for so long...
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    It's not about sympathy for the contestants, though. You have to assume that when there's money and fame involved, there will always be people who are willing to do ridiculous things to get on TV.

It's about whether NBC and the show's creators (and everyone associated with it) are responsible for the damage that they're doing to millions of people who watch. I say yes.

This. My mom always says she'd love to be on that show. I temper her quickly by reminding her she doesn't have as much to lose as they do because for most people, they just can't fathom how much damage is being done to these contestants. They look at the contestants with envy and then when they can't lose at the rate the contestants do (and no one can), they give up and feel like they just aren't able to do it at all.

It fosters unrealistic expectations. That's why you have all these people that post here said they've only lost 8 pounds in a month...they think it's supposed to be faster. They exercise for a week and then don't understand why they didn't lose 10 pounds. They assume they just can't lose weight and quit.

I guess I wouldn't be so mad at the show if they owned up to the fact that these people workout constantly and were honest about the diet (even though it's still unhealthy). But to make matters worse, the show literally makes it look like "our contestants learned that all you need to do it eat whole foods and you'll drop 100 pounds!"
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I remember some of the coaches from when I was in high school. The girls volleyball coach did the most yelling and he's the one that got them a state championship trophy.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Aemely wrote: »
    However, anything that causes long-term physical damage is unacceptable. There's no reason why the contestants cannot sue the show and the trainers if they knew they were doing unsafe things to the contestants. As an example, even if you sign a piece of paper that says "I know you are going to murder me, and I'm OK with it." murder is still illegal, and the murderer is culpable. I'm surprise this show has gotten away with it for so long...

It suggests, to me, that perhaps what they are doing is not actually as unsafe as has been reported in this article.
  • Jimmyftw94
    Jimmyftw94 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I remember some of the coaches from when I was in high school. The girls volleyball coach did the most yelling and he's the one that got them a state championship trophy.

This. Most Americans are brought up by lenient parents. That's why most people cannot handle tough criticism and are generally lazy as opposed to hard working.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    terar21 wrote: »
    It fosters unrealistic expectations. That's why you have all these people that post here said they've only lost 8 pounds in a month...they think it's supposed to be faster. They exercise for a week and then don't understand why they didn't lose 10 pounds. They assume they just can't lose weight and quit.

I guess I wouldn't be so mad at the show if they owned up to the fact that these people workout constantly and were honest about the diet (even though it's still unhealthy). But to make matters worse, the show literally makes it look like "our contestants learned that all you need to do it eat whole foods and you'll drop 100 pounds!"

I agree (although I think they are upfront about the fact that they work out an insane amount), but I don't think this is primarily a BL-driven thing. I recall from women's mags when I was a kid and teenager all kinds of articles promising ridiculous amounts of lost weight in ridiculously short periods. For the young women who come here expecting to lose their 20 lbs they want to lose in a month or whatever, I suspect it's still more that kind of thing than BL, which tends to focus just on the extremely obese, I believe.