Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    gshifrin wrote: »
    I think the problem is that the gym's business model depends on people continuing to pay long after they've given up on regular workouts. If everyone showed up regularly the gym would be unusable.

Personally, I don't see this as a "problem" at all. If the system was pay per use, my costs would skyrocket. I don't mind those paying for a "membership" subsidizing those who actually use the gym at all.

Related tangent: this is one of the reasons Crossfit gyms are generally more expensive...because the users/members ratio is generally much higher.
    lol, no.

They're generally much higher because they have solid marketing and trend status for now. People pay more for cult trends. Apple is an obvious example.

so you believe that if Crossfit wasn't the new Hot Thing that membership would be $40 a month, just like 24 Hour Fitness and LA Fitness? did you math that out and everything?
    You really don't think marketing impacts price?

Interesting.
  • bingfit221
    bingfit221 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    January is Christmas time for me!!

My wife & I own a personal training studio. The trend is January - March SLAMMED. March - June STEADY. June - October - RELATIVELY STEADY. October - December DEAD. Ugh.

In January - March we work as much as we can to support the decrease at the end of the year.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I think the problem is that the gym's business model depends on people continuing to pay long after they've given up on regular workouts. If everyone showed up regularly the gym would be unusable.

Personally, I don't see this as a "problem" at all. If the system was pay per use, my costs would skyrocket. I don't mind those paying for a "membership" subsidizing those who actually use the gym at all.

Related tangent: this is one of the reasons Crossfit gyms are generally more expensive...because the users/members ratio is generally much higher.
    lol, no.

They're generally much higher because they have solid marketing and trend status for now. People pay more for cult trends. Apple is an obvious example.

so you believe that if Crossfit wasn't the new Hot Thing that membership would be $40 a month, just like 24 Hour Fitness and LA Fitness? did you math that out and everything?

Interesting.

of course it does. but you believe that it's the only factor in pricing? or the largest factor in pricing?

very interesting
  • auntchellebelle
    auntchellebelle Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Yep, but it has died down already.
  • bingfit221
    bingfit221 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    At the health club I personally attend for my workouts, I haven't seen a surplus of people at all.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

lol, no.

Huh? I'm basing my conclusion on actual statistics of user/member ratios of Crossfit gyms vs. globo gyms. This isn't affected by your opinion of other factors. Now is the profitability of these gyms affected by your points? Sure. But that doesn't make my point any less valid.

TL;DR - "one of the reasons". And lol, yes.
  • dbmata
    Options

lol, no.

Interesting.

of course it does. but you believe that it's the only factor in pricing? or the largest factor in pricing?

very interesting

Being a franchise gym, obviously the top three costs are going to be
    1. Franchise fees
    2. Franchise marketing costs
    3. Staff payroll

If 1 and 2 are high, and both will be due to cult status, then it follows that your general membership fees will be higher than a larger gym. Pretty basic.

What I am seeing more of is knock off CF, that is all the CF fun, but at a lower price point, and not affiliated with the ex pet project of Rip.
  • Cardio4Cupcakes
    Cardio4Cupcakes Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I go around 4:30AM so it's always pretty dead.
  • ThatMouse
    ThatMouse Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I work at a University, so I go to the Uni gym. New Years itself didn't coincide with term start, but once classes resumed it was much more packed. I go at 6AM and even then, it was still fairly busy. My boyfriend goes at 3PM and despite having $90,000 worth of new equipment, there were still groups of 3 people working in on the power racks. Cardio was off the menu, too.

But now, two weeks into classes, the rush has died down considerably. Maybe it's just because it was 6AM Monday morning today when I went, but it's been less busy during my AM time.

Part of me is happy, because I don't have to worry about not having access to a squat rack or enough plates, but part of me is sad to see so many haven't stuck with it. I remember I made sure to arrive at 6AM last Wednesday because there was a girl who promised her friend in the locker room that "6AM Wednesday is my 'workout time' and I have to make it" - I wanted to see her succeed in it and go the gym in the AM.

Nope. She made that promise to herself on Monday and broke it on Wednesday. It was disappointing.
  • brenstar05
    brenstar05 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I only work out at the gym from about November to March... I much prefer to run outside. So, I'm probably one of the people that the regular gym-goers think is giving up. I just hate being inside a gym when I can be outside getting the same burn!! :)
  • DavPul
    Options

lol, no.

Interesting.

very interesting

1. Franchise fees
    3. Staff payroll

If 1 and 2 are high, and both will be due to cult status, then it follows that your general membership fees will be higher than a larger gym. Pretty basic.

What I am seeing more of is knock off CF, that is all the CF fun, but at a lower price point, and not affiliated with the ex pet project of Rip.

lololololololol!

1. have you checked to see how much CF franchise fees are?
    2. have you checked to see how much per sqft a CF sized space would cost to rent?

CF fees are basically nothing. take your rent, insurance, utility, maintenance and staff costs and divide that among the average number of members, and you've got a baseline for what to charge for fees. the CF franchise fees are a mere pittance compared to that.
  • dbmata
    Options
    and how much are the co-marketing costs?

They aren't spending on equipment, or staffing. Again, we go back to higher costs due to cult status and marketing costs. This isn't magic. It's done every day.

Exposed franchise fees are a simple $3k yearly plus some derptificate, that's fine. What are the other costs? Considering my one experience with having bought into a food franchise, those costs are fairly extreme, and come with requirements to pay for marketing, regional fees, management fees, logistical fees, etc. etc. etc.

Again, cult + marketing of cool = excessive membership charge.
  • freqzinbigd
    freqzinbigd Posts: 56 Member
    Options

lol, no.

Interesting.

very interesting

1. Franchise fees
    3. Staff payroll

lololololololol!

1. have you checked to see how much CF franchise fees are?
    2. have you checked to see how much per sqft a CF sized space would cost to rent?

CF fees are basically nothing. take your rent, insurance, utility, maintenance and staff costs and divide that among the average number of members, and you've got a baseline for what to charge for fees. the CF franchise fees are a mere pittance compared to that.

CF affiliate fees are ~$3000/year. Dirt cheap. No franchise fees. No percentages off the top. No marketing.

CFers pay marketing when the buy all the Reebok CF gear :D
  • lasarabande
    lasarabande Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm at 24h... if I go to the sport-level gyms it's always full. If I go to the active level ones they're about half capacity at peak hours. There's always room for dem cardio machines at the active level ones.

There are about maybe.... 5ish 24h gyms around my area so I have a lot of room to choose from.
  • Redheadllena
    Redheadllena Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I have no problem with newbies, anyone giving it a go is awesome. I just don't like it when its crowded!

Same! I always notice a big upswing in January at the gym but as some others said, it's already dying down. The frigid temps helped move that along I think.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

They aren't spending on equipment, or staffing. Again, we go back to higher costs due to cult status and marketing costs. This isn't magic. It's done every day.

Exposed franchise fees are a simple $3k yearly plus some derptificate, that's fine. What are the other costs? Considering my one experience with having bought into a food franchise, those costs are fairly extreme, and come with requirements to pay for marketing, regional fees, management fees, logistical fees, etc. etc. etc.

Crossfit is an affiliate, not a franchise. The difference being that you do not have the same level of requirement that you see in franchising.
    The crossfit boxes here do next to no marketing. One guy has his truck painted. They have signs on their building. That's about it.
  • mamaaskew
    Options
    I'm a newbie .. the hardest thing is walking through the door for the first time .. so far I'm enjoying it
  • dbmata
    Options

Crossfit is an affiliate, not a franchise. The difference being that you do not have the same level of requirement that you see in franchising.
    The crossfit boxes here do next to no marketing. One guy has his truck painted. They have signs on their building. That's about it.
    So then that's all pure profit.

No *kitten*.

I'm going to review this more in depth, $3k and a few fees to clean up? yeah bob.
  • DavPul
    Options

So then that's all pure profit.

No *kitten*.

I'm going to review this more in depth, $3k and a few fees to clean up? yeah bob.

Not so fast chief. Just because you waaaay estimated the franchise fees doesn't mean it's all profit. I think you're still failing to do a proper accounting of what it costs to run a gym and how many members you need to have to turn a profit.

But maybe next time a little research before accusing a company of soaking it's members just because.....made up reasons.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    well. not for nothing but we offer a ripped off version of CF- and it's no more extra for the class than the 29$ we pay for monthly memberships.