Sugar = Poison

Options

Replies

• Dawntodusk
    Dawntodusk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I'm looking forward to watching it - especially since I cut sugar from my diet last year.
  • jrusso28
    jrusso28 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    This is a total eye opener for me.
    My wife and I are both going to be re-evaluating what we are eating.

I agree with some of the previous posters above about the fruit.
    I can only speak for the wife and I, but we are taking in too much of it.
    We had begun by substituting fruit for sweets, which is better than eating all those sweets.
    But since we are taking in so much more fruit we are adding lots of sugar to our diets.

I started going through our cabinet last night and looking at all the new (healthy food) I bought since I started this new way of eating and tracking my calories. Its amazing that although lots of the items are low fat ana low calories they contain lots of sugar and very little fiber.

We plan to increase our fiber intake (over 20) and lower our sugar intake (below 30) and see what kind of a difference that makes.

Will keep you folks posted on how my little experiment goes. :)
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Everyone has a strong opinion about the sugar in fruit but put a Peanut butter Cup or Muffin recipe on the blog and everyone loves it?
  • jrusso28
    jrusso28 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'm not posting this thread to open the debate over is fruit sugar as bad as other sugar.
    The video discusses sugars in the diet in general and how they have been affecting our health.

Personally, I will do my best to stay away from sugar in general.
    That includes the peanutbutter cups and muffins as well as the fruit.
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Nature doesn't put sugar in vegetables, fruit, and other foods for kicks. It's there for a reason

Yeah, it's there to feed the plant. Apple trees don't care about you, they aren't here for you, they just happen to bear edible fruit.

Fruit and vegetables are also high-fiber sugar delivery systems, which means the sugar hits your bloodstream slowly and steadily unless you're pounding apples like it's your job, of course! They aren't peanut butter cups! ;)
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    This is a total eye opener for me.
    My wife and I are both going to be re-evaluating what we are eating.

I agree with some of the previous posters above about the fruit.
    I can only speak for the wife and I, but we are taking in too much of it.
    We had begun by substituting fruit for sweets, which is better than eating all those sweets.
    But since we are taking in so much more fruit we are adding lots of sugar to our diets.

I started going through our cabinet last night and looking at all the new (healthy food) I bought since I started this new way of eating and tracking my calories. Its amazing that although lots of the items are low fat ana low calories they contain lots of sugar and very little fiber.

We plan to increase our fiber intake (over 20) and lower our sugar intake (below 30) and see what kind of a difference that makes.

Will keep you folks posted on how my little experiment goes. :)

Good man! I have a feeling you will see great results. I cut out sweets altogether and have been shedding weight like crazy over the past year. I will still have a slice of cake at a birthday party or a few beers out with the guys, but I make sure I "pay it back" by hitting the weights.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options

Well, if you look at it from that angle, why was the "fruit" on the forbidden tree? Maybe God was trying to tell us way back then that it is poisonous................

I don't believe in Everything in Moderation. There are many things the human body does not need in moderation.

facepalm.jpg
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I'm not posting this thread to open the debate over is fruit sugar as bad as other sugar.
    The video discusses sugars in the diet in general and how they have been affecting our health.

My point about the peanut butter cup and muffins is.
    When someone post something about the sugar in fruit or something about Carbs vs. Fat.
    Everyong jumps on to say how bad one way or another.
    But put a Peanut butter cup or Muffin recipe and all you see if Great, Have to try this, Bump.
    That was my point, never a negative comment. But talk about Apples?
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Personally I think this is a great debate to be having. As the beacon of scrutiny has focused on sugar and the various ways we consume it I've been wondering (after watching Sugar The Bitter Truth and reading the NYT's article Is Sugar Toxic) if we don't need to track sugar differently. Would it matter if we tracked fructose, glucose and sucrose? If the site designers even could fashion this, would the data be helpful to us?

My take on the fruit debate is that I will eat some fruit in moderation because I believe that in addition to fiber and some good basic nutrients, you also get some really good flavanoids and micro-nutrients you wouldn't otherwise. You can't take a pill or supplement for everything. Why not eat some frozen wild blueberries, a grapefruit and a banana once in a while?

be nice to each other, respectful debate is healthy and enjoy your food!
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options

My point about the peanut butter cup and muffins is.
    When someone post something about the sugar in fruit or something about Carbs vs. Fat.
    Everyong jumps on to say how bad one way or another.
    But put a Peanut butter cup or Muffin recipe and all you see if Great, Have to try this, Bump.
    That was my point, never a negative comment. But talk about Apples?

Some of us don't even bother commenting on muffin recipes and other junk "health" food because we're probably too busy face-palming like the image the guy above posted.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Nature doesn't put sugar in vegetables, fruit, and other foods for kicks. It's there for a reason

Fruits and other foods we started cultivating are higher in sugar content than the botanic varieties found in nature. And then, nature "put" sugar there to make the fruits and their seeds attractive to birds and other animals, so as to help the seeds spread. And to have something to induce fermentation so a seed would have its own source of nutrients when it needs to sprout.

Nature didn't "put" the sugar there to feed humans. But it put nutrients in fruits for the same reason we "put" nutrients into embryos: to procreate.

For some reason I just got the urge to sing "The Circle of Life" from the Lion King.

/joins chorus to sing

Ironically, in this respect, the cultivation of high sugar varieties of certain fruits is very successful from the tree's or plant's point of view because we help in its procreation.

But seriously, even 75 years ago, fruits were not so plentiful as to be available every day, in numerous servings per day. Most fruits were entirely seasonal and certain high sugar varieties we're not globally available, or only rarely so. So here too, our eating pattern has changed to such an extent that we don't even recognize it as unnatural anymore. We have increased the glycemic load of fruit considerably by eating it in huge quantities. That's the issue, not the sugar in fruit per se.

So, eat local, eat seasonal?

Yes, that's what I try to do, also because I belong to a local CSA, so I try to eat what it grows for me. It does mean that my summer eating pattern is very different from my winter eating pattern. I kind of like it to be waiting for the first strawberries in summer and not having them in other months unless I freeze them or preserve them.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Personally I think this is a great debate to be having. As the beacon of scrutiny has focused on sugar and the various ways we consume it I've been wondering (after watching Sugar The Bitter Truth and reading the NYT's article Is Sugar Toxic) if we don't need to track sugar differently. Would it matter if we tracked fructose, glucose and sucrose? If the site designers even could fashion this, would the data be helpful to us?

My take on the fruit debate is that I will eat some fruit in moderation because I believe that in addition to fiber and some good basic nutrients, you also get some really good flavanoids and micro-nutrients you wouldn't otherwise. You can't take a pill or supplement for everything. Why not eat some frozen wild blueberries, a grapefruit and a banana once in a while?

be nice to each other, respectful debate is healthy and enjoy your food!

There are no nutrients in fruit that I can't get from eating a variety of vegetables at a much lower sugar level in my body.

My health, energy and well-being supercede weight loss any day, it is merely an added benefit for me.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    There are no nutrients in fruit that I can't get from eating a variety of vegetables at a much lower sugar level in my body.

That's not entirely true. In the lecture, Dr. Lustig even says fructose in fruits (& veg's) are paired with fiber, an absolute necessity (at 1h10m on the video)

"Eat your carbohydrate with fiber. Why? Because fiber is good. Fiber is supposed to be an essential nutrient. We can talk later ... as to why fiber is not an essential nutrient; because the government doesn't want it to be. Because then they couldn't sell food abroad."

carrots are quite sweet.. grapes, pears, sweet peppers... all of those are sweet and fibrous.

at 1h13m he says, "wherever there's fructose in nature, there's way more fiber." The fructose coming from carrots, apples or sweet peppers really isn't the problem.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Really interesting, thanks for posting. I always wondered why my son's paediatric nutritionist said he could eat normally, but absolutely was not to have coke EVER (he only has one kidney). It makes sense now. I will certainly be keeping all high fructose products out of my house.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    thanks for the heads up- I know its rough giving it up, I ve been pretty good about it, just wished I DIDNT HAVE TO HAVE IT on my oatmeal........kinda comfort food, reminds me of when I was a kid and used to eat it all the time.........thanks, Lloyd
  • LeonaB17
    LeonaB17 Posts: 304
    Options
    bump
  • mowrynation
    mowrynation Posts: 91
    Options
    I just watched the whole presentation and all I can say is WOW!
  • skelly013
    skelly013 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The simple answer here is that anything processed we eat is bad, including sugars. If you eat natural sugars they are not as bad for you. My basic concept is if I cannot pronounce the ingredients I do not put it in my mouth. (I know I can pronounce HFCS but I leave that out too)
  • Life_is_Good
    Life_is_Good Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    The simple answer here is that anything processed we eat is bad, including sugars. If you eat natural sugars they are not as bad for you. My basic concept is if I cannot pronounce the ingredients I do not put it in my mouth. (I know I can pronounce HFCS but I leave that out too)

that's so simplified, though. I process a lot of food myself and many processed things actually are good for you (think: yogurt, beans, cooked meat, etc.) the key is whether or not something is processed for you. some things are okay, like you're getting at.. peanut butter, hulled grains, shelled peas, etc..

my rule is if it has a barcode, i probably don't want to eat it.