So you want a nice stomach

Options

Replies

• hmcbride68
    hmcbride68 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    usmcmp, you are a champ! Your advice is spot on and you handle adversity like a pro
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    hmcbride68 wrote: »
    usmcmp, you are a champ! Your advice is spot on and you handle adversity like a pro

haha Thank you! I just know that answering questions and clarifying my points is far more effective than getting emotional and name calling. There's also more than one way to get to our goals, I'm just trying to help others learn a healthy and sustainable way.
  • hmcbride68
    hmcbride68 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    There's also more than one way to get to our goals, I'm just trying to help others learn a healthy and sustainable way.

That kind of understanding in this age of the internet expert is impressive in itself. I learned that valuable lesson from watching tons of powerlifters, bodybuilders, crossfitters, and trainers, some pro, some not, get into nasty arguments that were pure factionalism and had nothing to do with fitness. It all really does come down to calories in/out and picking up heavy stuff then putting it back down, or making your heart go pitter pat (for all the cardio lovers out there)
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Just bumping more because @usmcmp is amazeballs & I <3 her and her sensible, realistic, sustainable advice.
  • KayBallin
    KayBallin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I credit this thread for aiding me in losing the ~20lbs i've lost over the past year. Thank you! @usmcmp

One question though, I can see definition of my abs when I flex (mainly in the morning) but I still have quite a bit of belly fat. I would say I'm at about 25% BF. I would like to get in the 17%-19% range. I've kind of plateaued for the past month or three.

I've been cycling calories: ~1900 on lifting days and ~1500 on non-lifting/cardio days (I do Muay Thai 2x week). Should I go back to eating -15% TDEE? Only thing I'm afraid of is losing strength.

Last time I cut that much, my lifting suffered tremendously. I'm doing Stronglifts, if that matters. I have no idea if it was because my macronutrients were off or if I just cut more than I think I did?

Thanks again!
  • rainbowsalsa
    Options
    odusgolp wrote: »
    freeze-frame-high-five.gif
    How I felt going from 205.6 to 195.8 in 1 and half weeks.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    KayBallin wrote: »
    I credit this thread for aiding me in losing the ~20lbs i've lost over the past year. Thank you! @usmcmp

One question though, I can see definition of my abs when I flex (mainly in the morning) but I still have quite a bit of belly fat. I would say I'm at about 25% BF. I would like to get in the 17%-19% range. I've kind of plateaued for the past month or three.

I've been cycling calories: ~1900 on lifting days and ~1500 on non-lifting/cardio days (I do Muay Thai 2x week). Should I go back to eating -15% TDEE? Only thing I'm afraid of is losing strength.

Last time I cut that much, my lifting suffered tremendously. I'm doing Stronglifts, if that matters. I have no idea if it was because my macronutrients were off or if I just cut more than I think I did?

Thanks again!

@KayBallin I'm glad this thread helped you! I'd say the first step is to look at the accuracy of your logging. If you are sure that you are accurate then slowly cut back on calories a bit to see if it gets things moving again. Another option (if you aren't already doing this) is to add in hypertrophy work as your accessory work with Stronglifts. There's Boring But Big that was made to go with 5/3/1, but it could work with Stronglifts if you are willing to make adjustments.

Unfortunately your strength will probably take a hit at some point. That's just the way it is for most of us when dieting to the lower levels of body fat. Once you get to the point where you begin to up calories and maintain you'll get it back pretty quickly.
  • KayBallin
    KayBallin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    KayBallin wrote: »

Thanks again!

@KayBallin I'm glad this thread helped you! I'd say the first step is to look at the accuracy of your logging. If you are sure that you are accurate then slowly cut back on calories a bit to see if it gets things moving again. Another option (if you aren't already doing this) is to add in hypertrophy work as your accessory work with Stronglifts. There's Boring But Big that was made to go with 5/3/1, but it could work with Stronglifts if you are willing to make adjustments.

Unfortunately your strength will probably take a hit at some point. That's just the way it is for most of us when dieting to the lower levels of body fat. Once you get to the point where you begin to up calories and maintain you'll get it back pretty quickly.

Thank you!!
  • mariahmilan
    mariahmilan Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Wow this post is super helpful! That original calculator I couldn't understand at all but the second one you posted was really helpful and easier to understand. That second one has the same calories/targets - would you alter that on days you work out?
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Wow this post is super helpful! That original calculator I couldn't understand at all but the second one you posted was really helpful and easier to understand. That second one has the same calories/targets - would you alter that on days you work out?

I prefer a flat rate intake for every day and I log exercise as 1 calorie burned (or just post what my workout was without logging exercise). The original calculator defaults to recomposition, so you eat more on workout days to try to get your muscles to grow.
  • iwillsucceed0444
    iwillsucceed0444 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Bumpity-bump-bump look at the tummy go!

Yup!!! Woohoo to all of us getting nice stomachs!!! :)
  • Katerina9408
    Katerina9408 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the macro calculator :( Pls someone assistance.Thank u !

@katerina9408 Try this one: iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

Thank you ! :)
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    awesome- love it.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I love your blog too! @usmcmp
  • melgarcia12
    Options
    Great post, thanks for the tips!
  • anna19741974
    anna19741974 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Need some help. :'( I wanna lose my stomach . I don't know what to do can someone help me ....
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Need some help. :'( I wanna lose my stomach . I don't know what to do can someone help me ....

Go back and read the first post on page 1. Start implementing some of those changes.
  • palmerc19
    palmerc19 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hey great post!

Would I increase cardio and heart rate for more calorie burn and fat loss?
  • usmcmp
    Options
    palmerc19 wrote: »
    Hey great post!

Would I increase cardio and heart rate for more calorie burn and fat loss?

It isn't necessary. Tracking your intake is the most important factor for fat loss. Cardio can help, but lifting burns calories too (and has better post exercise calorie burn). I did suggest doing some cardio, but you don't have to do lots to drop fat.
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    This was my first week at the gym and I took a workout class and eating better. I didn't lose anything. I just don't get it.