Disturbing Biggest Loser article

Options

Replies

• Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    When someone is scammed why don't we put the blame on the scammer? You know, on the person who's actively hurting people to make a buck? Why is it that the victims become somehow to blame for being taken in?

This. Same with rape culture, same with bullying... I am typing left-handed because wrist injury but had to come in to give it a big, big +1.

Whether it is these people's fault, partially or even entirely their own doing, to put themselves in this position, is *irrelevant*. What the show does to them is still immoral, if half of the allegations are true, and we as an audience are suspending our moral judgement when we begin to justify it. What shows like this do to their audience is arguably worse than what they do to the contestants. It seems OK when it's happening to someone else, heck, we're *glad* it's happening to someone else. Reference - "1984".

/End outburst, my mind boggles *and* my wrist hurts :(
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    If you're the kind of person that needs to be reassured that "this couldn't possibly happen to me" by assuming that everyone who falls for things like this must be stupid or weak, then I sincerely hope that you never end up in a situation where someone is taking advantage of you. Or if you do, I hope you find someone with a bit more compassion to listen to your story.

Yep, I think you hit the nail on the head here. People are vlctim-blaming as a means of distancing themselves from the fact that they, too, could fall victim to something like this. It's the opposite of empathy, which involves identifying with others and realizing that, no, you're not that different.

I consider myself fairly intelligent, reasonable, independent-minded person. Could an environment like that get to me? Absolutely. These people are pros. None of us is immune.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Sorry, I don't see any victims here. Nor do I see a reason to "blame" anybody for anything.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    If you're the kind of person that needs to be reassured that "this couldn't possibly happen to me" by assuming that everyone who falls for things like this must be stupid or weak, then I sincerely hope that you never end up in a situation where someone is taking advantage of you. Or if you do, I hope you find someone with a bit more compassion to listen to your story.

Yep, I think you hit the nail on the head here. People are vlctim-blaming as a means of distancing themselves from the fact that they, too, could fall victim to something like this. It's the opposite of empathy, which involves identifying with others and realizing that, no, you're not that different.

I consider myself fairly intelligent, reasonable, independent-minded person. Could an environment like that get to me? Absolutely. These people are pros. None of us is immune.

I have yet to see someone identify a victim. A couple of disgruntled contestants in a hit piece article and some anecdotal "well it could be that bad". I will say again, the contract signed by a contestant is worthless if they have been mistreated or harmed because of deception. That is basic law. You cannot hide behind a contract and maliciously do harm. Period. Victims? Hardly, and someone above made the comparison to "rape culture", that is a slap in the face to those who have to live with that. People need to find another cause to white knight, this isn't it.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Comparing this show to abusive relationships and cults is a bit ridiculous.

I don't really think so. People ask the same questions of people involved in cults or abusive relationships - Why did you stay so long? You could leave whenever you wanted... It's been proven that you can keep control over someone without physically restraining them. The contestants should be grateful, this is the best chance that they have to save thier lives, nobody else would ever want to help them, not only do they get to lose a bunch of weight and get attention, they also get a chance at money! They have no reason to complain besides being lazy... in fact, that's what people are saying in this very thread. That's how you end up with "Stockholm Syndrome-like Tendancies," and it's why people don't leave when everything about the situation says that they should.

Now obviously cults and abusive relationships are more extreme and long term than reality TV, but the idea is the same. Take a bunch of vulnerable people (mentally ill, social disorders, low self esteem, depression, personality disorders, etc. - you know, the kind of people that are "fun" to watch), isolate them from friends and family in a very intense situation (on other shows there's usually a lot of free alcohol involved), restrict entertainment and contact with the "normal" world, and put them through physical challenges beyond what is normal for that person. Add in personal drama (on this show, constant belittling and screaming which is PROVEN to be less effective in the long run for weight loss than positive affirmation), and you have absolutely got a recipe for disaster.

We're watching people self destruct for fun. It's not inspirational, it's not educational - in fact, it quite often spreads misinformation and unrealistic goals more than anything. When someone is scammed why don't we put the blame on the scammer? You know, on the person who's actively hurting people to make a buck? Why is it that the victims become somehow to blame for being taken in? If you're the kind of person that needs to be reassured that "this couldn't possibly happen to me" by assuming that everyone who falls for things like this must be stupid or weak, then I sincerely hope that you never end up in a situation where someone is taking advantage of you. Or if you do, I hope you find someone with a bit more compassion to listen to your story.

You've made quite the assumption as to the part I put in bold (second one) above, and you are way out of line. Way out of line. You don't know me, and you certainly don't know what you're talking about.

Extrapolation of abuse and cults just does not work here.

That said, in abusive relationships and cults people are groomed to fear for their lives. Many stay because they afraid that they will be killed, or if they have children they fear for their safety and lives.

Do you really believe BL contestants are being groomed to stay? Do you really believe they fear for their lives, or their children's lives?

Sure, many, but not all, may have low self esteem, but I'll tell you they have some other motivation going on.

Edited to add: I've seen the show but I don't watch it because I think it's a BS show. It does not display healthy weight loss tactics.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

I have yet to see someone identify a victim. A couple of disgruntled contestants in a hit piece article and some anecdotal "well it could be that bad". I will say again, the contract signed by a contestant is worthless if they have been mistreated or harmed because of deception. That is basic law. You cannot hide behind a contract and maliciously do harm. Period. Victims? Hardly, and someone above made the comparison to "rape culture", that is a slap in the face to those who have to live with that. People need to find another cause to white knight, this isn't it.

And, just like any reality show, I'm sure it's heavily scripted.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    Another contestant speaks out...
    "A lot of things I found on the ranch were definitely helped by what I believe," Mitchell said. "A lot of what I believe was reinforced by my experience there."
    At the beginning of the show, Mitchell thought true health was all about physical health, but he quickly learned he needed a more balanced approach.

"I had really shut myself down emotionally and I was missing out on so much, whether it was my relationship with my wife and kids or simple, beautiful joys in life," he said. "By opening up emotionally, you can see and appreciate all these things. I enjoy exercise, healthy food and it’s because I was willing to admit I had a problem."

Looks like he got an awful lot of positives out of the experience.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865619817/Former-NFL-and-Utah-quarterback-Scott-Mitchell-eliminated-from-Biggest-Loser.html?pg=all
  • menotyou56
    menotyou56 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I and my wife have always hated this show. Everything about it is dead wrong! I thought you were not supposed to lose more than 2 lbs a week and thats pushin it. Yet on this show they drop 20 or more in a week!
    No freaking way can that be done in a healthy manner. No freaking way!

The way they push these people is terribly cruel most of the time. But "its for their own good" so its excused.
    I am surprised no one has dropped dead on that show yet but I'm sure many of them will have blown out knees and hips and other lifetime injuries from that ridiculous show.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    Another contestant speaks out...
    You probably think we spent all day everyday working out in the Biggest Loser house. Wrong. No one ever worked out for more than two and a half hours a day. You really can't do much more than that if you're training hard.
    Biggest Loser cops a lot of bad publicity about what they do to the contestants. People need to remember that we signed up for a TV show and that's exactly what it is … a TV show.
    The only thing that really disappoints me about the Biggest Loser is the length of time between the weigh-ins. Have you ever wondered how the contestants manage to lose a staggering 12 kilos in a single week? We don't....The shortest gap from weigh-in to weigh-in during our series was 16 days. That's a fact.
    What was real was the passion and kindness shown by trainers Michelle Bridges and Shannan Ponton. These two regularly came in on weekends to take us for extra sessions and they legitimately cared about each of us. They are very good people.

Not seeing a whole lot of "rape culture" in this one, either.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/former-biggest-loser-contestant-andrew-cosi-costello-reveals-the-truth-about-the-weight-loss-show/story-e6frfmq9-1226820498768
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I find the transformations and the weigh ins to be the only draw of the show. The formula as I see it is there is a group challenge or obstacle course of some sort (YAWN), and then a good 30 minutes of the program consists of these people crying and sweating in the gym (YAWN), and interspersed throughout the trainers like to put on their therapist hat and do everything they can to get the contestants to blubber about their childhood or some emotional trauma or some such to work through their "issues", or at least appear to by being encouraged by unqualified gym rats to blubber on about psychological issues to the point of being a spectacle.

What bothers me about the show is how terrible 90% of the content is. Apart from the transformation and weigh-ins, I have no idea why it has remained a hit.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I never got the impression that any of the contestants were unintelligent, or unwilling participants, brainwashed or "battered persons" that needed rescuing from Jim Jones' fat camp ranch.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    I never got the impression that any of the contestants were unintelligent, or unwilling participants, brainwashed or "battered persons" that needed rescuing from Jim Jones' fat camp ranch.

Touche.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    I find the transformations and the weigh ins to be the only draw of the show. The formula as I see it is there is a group challenge or obstacle course of some sort (YAWN), and then a good 30 minutes of the program consists of these people crying and sweating in the gym (YAWN), and interspersed throughout the trainers like to put on their therapist hat and do everything they can to get the contestants to blubber about their childhood or some emotional trauma or some such to work through their "issues", or at least appear to by being encouraged by unqualified gym rats to blubber on about psychological issues to the point of being a spectacle.

What bothers me about the show is how terrible 90% of the content is. Apart from the transformation and weigh-ins, I have no idea why it has remained a hit.

This. And your other post too.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Comparing this show to abusive relationships and cults is a bit ridiculous.

I don't really think so. People ask the same questions of people involved in cults or abusive relationships - Why did you stay so long? You could leave whenever you wanted... It's been proven that you can keep control over someone without physically restraining them. The contestants should be grateful, this is the best chance that they have to save thier lives, nobody else would ever want to help them, not only do they get to lose a bunch of weight and get attention, they also get a chance at money! They have no reason to complain besides being lazy... in fact, that's what people are saying in this very thread. That's how you end up with "Stockholm Syndrome-like Tendancies," and it's why people don't leave when everything about the situation says that they should.

Now obviously cults and abusive relationships are more extreme and long term than reality TV, but the idea is the same. Take a bunch of vulnerable people (mentally ill, social disorders, low self esteem, depression, personality disorders, etc. - you know, the kind of people that are "fun" to watch), isolate them from friends and family in a very intense situation (on other shows there's usually a lot of free alcohol involved), restrict entertainment and contact with the "normal" world, and put them through physical challenges beyond what is normal for that person. Add in personal drama (on this show, constant belittling and screaming which is PROVEN to be less effective in the long run for weight loss than positive affirmation), and you have absolutely got a recipe for disaster.

We're watching people self destruct for fun. It's not inspirational, it's not educational - in fact, it quite often spreads misinformation and unrealistic goals more than anything. When someone is scammed why don't we put the blame on the scammer? You know, on the person who's actively hurting people to make a buck? Why is it that the victims become somehow to blame for being taken in? If you're the kind of person that needs to be reassured that "this couldn't possibly happen to me" by assuming that everyone who falls for things like this must be stupid or weak, then I sincerely hope that you never end up in a situation where someone is taking advantage of you. Or if you do, I hope you find someone with a bit more compassion to listen to your story.

For a show in season 16+? I understand you wouldn't choose this for yourself, but to presume an adult must be mentally incapacitated to choose it for themselves is incredibly presumptuous, belittling and shaming to me. Would you say the same thing about people who choose to work dangerous jobs either for the safety of others, profit or just plain fun to be participating in disgusting activities for the pleasure of others as well? What kind of gotdang hysterics would you be in if we televised mountain climbers or heck even hunters in trees? Please ma'am can you let us know, do you even sanction the Olympics with their sometimes near lifetime of hardcore intense training? Talk about unrealistic, making me think that if I work really hard, my couch potato bum would look like those Glamazons! It seems If you had your way we just wouldn't have personal choice and responsibility and would sit all day babysat in a padded room
  • UDTsunamiSurfer
    UDTsunamiSurfer Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Heck, anyone who hangs around MFP long enough sees twenty people a day (often teens) coming to the forum expecting to lose weight as fast as the contestants do on the Biggest Loser, and willing to resort to extreme and unhealthy means to do it.

I've never seen that on MFP. All kinds of people wanting to lose weight fast, a bunch willing to eat very low cal, but I have yet to see an MFPer committing to VLC and extremely high levels of exercise.

There was a forum post I saw just today asking for "yummy zero calorie" recipes...

AND did no one else catch the Stockholm Syndrome (basically, falling in love with your kidnapper) part that contestants were suffering?
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Heck, anyone who hangs around MFP long enough sees twenty people a day (often teens) coming to the forum expecting to lose weight as fast as the contestants do on the Biggest Loser, and willing to resort to extreme and unhealthy means to do it.

I've never seen that on MFP. All kinds of people wanting to lose weight fast, a bunch willing to eat very low cal, but I have yet to see an MFPer committing to VLC and extremely high levels of exercise.

There was a forum post I saw just today asking for "yummy zero calorie" recipes...

AND did no one else catch the Stockholm Syndrome (basically, falling in love with your kidnapper) part that contestants were suffering?

Stockholm does not apply here.
  • Missyjules1974
    Missyjules1974 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I often wonder how there have been no heart attacks. The majority of people who appear on the shOw, by the very fact their heart is working so much harder, are not heart healthy and most have raised cholesterol or are on blood pressure / diabetes meds. I have had two heart attacks (when I was 33) and the cardiac rehab team were very much at pains to educate us not to work out anyway near our maximum heart rate, with a long and steady warm up and cool down. It amazes me that no one has actually died exercising the way they so suddenly do.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Honestly I think the show is stupid, which is why I don't watch it (actually I think most tv shows are stupid). I also don't think this article is completely truthful, is there some truth in it probably. It's also not surprising that many contestants have gained back some or all of the weight they gained, look at the statistics of the general population in success of keeping the weight off they have lost, the numbers are dismal. Do I feel compassion for the contestants who feel like they were worked to hard, or verbally abused absolutely. I do think that there is actual medical supervision going on and I do believe that the show is listening to those doctors. Why do I believe that, you might ask. Here's why we are talking about contestants who are obese, completely out of shape and the majority have underlying medical conditions, if the trainers and show producers weren't taking the doctors recommendations we would see contestants who are either dead or in medical crisis. While the show keeps many things secret, there is no way to hide a dead contestant, and if one ended up in the hospital due to medical crisis someone would talk (be it the family of the contestant, or hell even a hospital employee, or someone listening in on an emergency services scanner hearing the call out for ambulance services) and the show wouldn't be able to bury it.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I often wonder how there have been no heart attacks. The majority of people who appear on the shOw, by the very fact their heart is working so much harder, are not heart healthy and most have raised cholesterol or are on blood pressure / diabetes meds. I have had two heart attacks (when I was 33) and the cardiac rehab team were very much at pains to educate us not to work out anyway near our maximum heart rate, with a long and steady warm up and cool down. It amazes me that no one has actually died exercising the way they so suddenly do.

Their medical team does a battery of tests on the individuals before they start training

I can understand the context here, but honestly, my opinion is that exercise doesn't kill people, obesity does. Yeah we have the top shape marathoner who has a heart attack and drops dead after a race. Now let's add all those cases up and compare them to obesity related deaths - EVERY YEAR, all over the world. Some of the "sudden" exercise could be hey, run a mile, and the contestant is vomitting because they weigh 400 lbs and haven't exercised in two decades
  • bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I'm just amazed at the number of posts of people watching one episode turned off by the show. I have watched since the third season and watch the show for what it is...reality tv. No, I don't agree with the first episode every season watching the contestants run uphill a mile in sand or one contestant leg pressing their body weight (over 400 pounds) on another season's premier. Personal trainers who don't have a background in psychology trying to overcome contestants deep emotional problems. TV programming is a form of escape and anyone that thinks that you can lose weight that quickly and keep it off is foolish. As for me, I have been struggling with my weight all my life and 12 years ago lost 60 lbs. in 10 months. Today, I have gained 50 pounds back due to job loss and depression. On January 1st, I recommitted myself to a healthy lifestyle and lost 12 pounds. The process is not a sprint but a marathon .