beginning running.... how do you get past the embarrasment?

Options

Replies

• tanowicki
    tanowicki Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Considering how often I have to watch and be super careful crossing streets, I doubt they even see you. You could be wearing blaze orange and running like Phoebe in the above clip and drivers still won't see you.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    You know what I think when I see a larger person out running and I am driving somewhere? I think "Gee, I wish I was out running like that guy/girl. I could use a good run".

That's it. Seriously.

And if anyone thinks somehow negatively? Well tell them to feck-off. You are doing something awesome and they are lazy slobs. I can guarantee you that any true athlete out there will never look down on someone who is out working to better themselves. Only bad people think that way, and who cares what bad people think?

^^ yep.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Anyone sitting on there a** laughing at you, doesn't have the right to do so.

But keep in mind, most are thinking, wow and mentally patting you on the back for getting out there and moving! Really!

Keep at it and soon you will see someone just starting out. And you will think, good for them and be thankful you started a bit earlier ;-)
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    What's really ironic here is right now starting out you want to not be seen at all you want to blend in so no one can pick you out. Give it a little time, a little practice and you'll soon be looking for bright colored clothing so you will be seen by the very same people. If you're really uncomfortable then find a walking path in another town or a park that's safe to jog in. People will look at you for many reasons, they might wonder if they know you, they might see you and say good for him/her for doing that, they may even be thinking you're crazy because they'd never do that themselves.
    Do this for YOU, because YOU want to and don't worry about what they're thinking.
  • Riaora
    Riaora Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've recently downloaded the c25k app and was super excited to start trying to run, until this morning when I actually attempted it (somewhere I thought was secluded) and cars kept going past me etc and I couldn't get past the fact that people would be laughing at the fat girl trying to run. I know I shouldn't let it bother me, but it made me get to the point I thought I was going to cry with embarrassment and I quit. So for those that have been running for a while, how did you get past that initial embarrassment? I live in a tiny village where everyone knows everything so I can't even tell myself that these are people I'm never going to see again.

You've got to fight, fight, fight for what you want and unfortunately a lot of the fighting you'll be doing is against yourself. It's that little voice that's telling you people are looking at you and laughing that's hard to squash. I know, I've been there. When I first started c25k I thought I looked rather ridiculous and nearly stopped as well. Aside from the fact the first half of the first day's session had me red like a tomato, I nearly gave up and thought how people might be looking at me like I'm a clown. But then I remembered why I started and if I let anything get in my way then I'd never reach my goal.

What you have to remember? You CAN do this! You already took the first step, all you have to do is keep trying, don't give up!

Is there a track anywhere near you that you can run on? There's a local park near me that I run track on and I find it's the most comfortable place to run because everyone there is there for the same reasons. People of different ages and sizes go there. After a while I got over myself and the stupid voice that said I couldn't. Maybe that'll work for you?

But like the others here have said, don't stop and keep going! You owe it to yourself and you deserve it. Good luck!
  • corinic91
    corinic91 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    rrowdiness wrote: »
    Hey some quick solutions
    • Wear army surplus camo, it's designed to make it harder for people to see you.
    • Run at night; be sure to wear pure black from head to toe, wraparound sunglasses and a hat for that additional anonymity
    • Find places where there are no other people, and run there. You know, middle of the woods at midnight, that kinda stuff.
    • Consult this video. Specifically at 1:02. This is all that matters about running. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aN7lt0CYwHg
    • Stop worrying about what other people are thinking about you. They're not. They're thinking about them.

I hope this is a troll post. I SINCERELY hope this is a troll post. Dear god. Let it be a troll.
  • KarensCanDoIt
    KarensCanDoIt Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I applaud you for starting to run. Keep it up. You're getting healthy, and that's all that matters.
  • jacquelyng56
    jacquelyng56 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've just started running too. When I say running I realy mean I can run half a mile and then end up walking the other mile home. I feel the same way as you, but as many people have said we are just trying to change our lifestyle and get fit. I doubt anyone takes any notice of us. Keep it up and don't care what anyone thinks xx
  • Davies_EL
    Davies_EL Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    corinic91 wrote: »
    Hey some quick solutions
    • Wear army surplus camo, it's designed to make it harder for people to see you.
    • Run at night; be sure to wear pure black from head to toe, wraparound sunglasses and a hat for that additional anonymity
    • Find places where there are no other people, and run there. You know, middle of the woods at midnight, that kinda stuff.
    • Consult this video. Specifically at 1:02. This is all that matters about running. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aN7lt0CYwHg
    • Stop worrying about what other people are thinking about you. They're not. They're thinking about them.

I hope this is a troll post. I SINCERELY hope this is a troll post. Dear god. Let it be a troll.

I actually think the few points are meant in jest? that's how I read it especially as the last thing said is basically, screw them, do what you wanna do.
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I think it's one of the most common lies we tell ourselves that anyone cares what we are doing or why. There are heavy joggers everywhere; can you remember specifically the last time you saw one?

We are the center of our own universe so it's easy to assume that we are a large part of everyone else's, when we're all just bustling about worrying about our own stuff.

The ironic part is that anyone who is interested enough in the people around them to notice you are running is also probably the type of person who is excited for you and wants you to succeed.
  • paulbriffitt
    paulbriffitt Posts: 10 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I started doing the C25K on Saturday. I crept out of bed at 6am to pound the beat and didn't tell anyone (not even my wife) that I was doing it till I came home from my first session. It's hard work, but loved it and everyone I've told so far has been very supportive. I told my co-workers today (so I'd have to hold myself to this task) and they were brilliant very supportive. So keep up the good work. I'm listening to a pod cast provided free by the NHS (Uk health service) and to be honest I'm so focused on that I block out anyone else, keep an eye out for cars and wild life though, I nearly tripped over a fox yesterday.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about what other people think. Sumo wrestlers run marathons. Nobody will laugh at you
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm07iPOl4ko
  • hmcbride68
    hmcbride68 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hell, I say give 'em something to gawk at. If they laugh and say mean things, who cares? They're crap, and they're ugly. You're not ugly. You're cute. Shake it
  • abcmommyx3
    abcmommyx3 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I hope the video I posted gives you some encouragement. You can do this!
  • awasko1218
    awasko1218 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    First of all, I totally want to get into running. Second of all, do you want to know what I, personally think when I see a person who is bigger (or older) than me running on the road? I think: "DAMN! If she can do that, what is my excuse?" I am motivated by your pluck! You are getting me closer to the couch 2 5k.... And Third....screw what others think. You are running and they are driving a freaking car...which burns more calories!? You go girl.
  • awasko1218
    awasko1218 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hey some quick solutions

...I'm pretty sure the person who said this was being sarcastic.
  • LorenB2015
    Options
    Hey, just so you know I have the same fear as you. I still go out in my neighborhood. I just have fun and put that fear right out of my mind.
  • inez1128
    Options
    You ARE a goddess. You deserve to feel accomplished, and feel fantastic about yourself for making this incredible change. Not many other people are getting off of their *kitten* and making an effort to change their lives in a positive way. YOU are your own hero and anyone else to try and put you down is no better than the dirt/gravel/asphalt you run on. If you aren't confident now, it's only going to get better from here and in a few weeks when you make that whole mile/block/whatever your goal is, you're going to feel unstoppable. And you are. ;)
  • ajff
    ajff Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    So with you! The first time I tried to run I went to the back of an empty storage facility and ran around one of the buildings (ok, not all the way around the building, I was in BAD shape!). Ok, the first 3 months I tried running that is what I did. Now I'm to the point where I don't care, and I'm stronger so I can actually get around that whole facility now. And I go on the road. By cars. And on my street, where my neighbors who know me can see. And I don't care if they are hanging out their window mouth agape (which they aren't... well... except for my one neighbor, I'm sure she is). I don't care. I've lost 70 pounds, they haven't. Do what you have to until you build your confidence!
  • miss_vdb
    miss_vdb Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Most of these replies seem to have a common theme and I've never seen it written better than this...

"You'll worry less about what people think about you when you realise how seldom they do"

I often think of this when I start to get self concious or when I see my friends dwell on the hypothetical opinion of others.