Geeks need support too! Fandoms Unite!!

Options

Replies

• CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    "gam3rguy wrote: »
    "socializing"? what is this? does it taste good?

Hahahahaha
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    FitGeekery wrote: »
    BluFoxxe wrote: »
    i'm late to this topic, but i too am a nerd. I can top you OP cuz I've got 8 various gaming consoles/units in my house and i managed to snag 2 3-day badges for Pax East 2015 this year (video game convention for those not in the know). I also love to read (I do it constantly) and I like bowling but I'm quite bad at it. Hi everyone!

Add away!

I am so jealous, I've wanted to go to PAX for ages but none of my RL friends are gamers >.< I do hit up Emerald City Comic Con every year with my geek girls though!

Hi! I've never gone to PAX but I'll be at ECCC this year too!

Also, I think the links were posted a few pages back but a couple of groups that will interest peeps.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/19-mfp-gamers

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/3566-the-geek-squid
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    I am definitely a nerd. I've played World of Warcraft, to the Sims, to Left 4 Dead, to Skyrim, and the list goes on. haha. I'm definitely a PC gamer, just built a new custom PC over Christmas with a SSD for boosted gaming performance. hahaha. I plan to get a Zelda tattoo sometime this year. Stopped playing MMO's so I could make more time for everything else in my life, but I still make time to game every day. haha

Anyone can feel free to add me. ^_^

Marry me? lol

I'm a console gamer, but I'll be building myself a gaming tower sometime this year.
  • FitGeekery
    FitGeekery Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    ive never been to that one but ive decided that before i die, i want to hit each con in this country at least once. is that one nice? it must be so nice...

Omg that is an awesome goal... which I think I may try as well. But can I also have a goal of cosplaying at each one I go to? o.o And yes, ECCC is a LOT of fun and has literally exploded in the last couple years (I've been going for 5yrs so far).
    lacroyx wrote: »
    Hi! I've never gone to PAX but I'll be at ECCC this year too!

Nice! Have you been to ECCC before? So sad that this is the first year I'm skipping in 5 yrs, need to save money for a big Euro trip :D
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I'm a pretty huge nerd. A gamer (GOING TO PAX SOUTH TOMORROW - WOOT) - I mostly do PC, but we do have two XBox's as well. I'm a big indie game fan/supporter. Most of my Steam games are by indie developers.

I love all things Harry Potter. Deeply.
    Huge GoT fan - huge. My patronus is a direwolf.
    LOVE Supernatural - new fan.
    The Walking Dead <3 - I started with the graphic novels before the show.
    MTG player - though I'm still a noob.
    Oh and Haven - love the show and all the references to other King works.

I read whatever I can get my hands on - and I have to read every single day.
  • BluFoxxe
    BluFoxxe Posts: 14 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm a pretty huge nerd. A gamer (GOING TO PAX SOUTH TOMORROW - WOOT) - I mostly do PC, but we do have two XBox's as well. I'm a big indie game fan/supporter. Most of my Steam games are by indie developers.

I love all things Harry Potter. Deeply.
    Huge GoT fan - huge. My patronus is a direwolf.
    LOVE Supernatural - new fan.
    The Walking Dead <3 - I started with the graphic novels before the show.
    MTG player - though I'm still a noob.
    Oh and Haven - love the show and all the references to other King works.

I read whatever I can get my hands on - and I have to read every single day.

JEALOUS! Let me know how PAX south goes!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    It's my first expo - ridiculously excited!
  • BluFoxxe
    BluFoxxe Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    jasonmh630 wrote: »
    steveko89 wrote: »
    Count me in. My wife and I are both very varied nerds, neither of us have hardly met a fandom we didn't like. Sounds like this is a group that won't raise an eyebrow when I say that little motivates me more to be in shape than making my cosplays look good.

cosplay is indeed a good motivator ^^

nothing says "motivation" like not fitting in to my steampunk Lara Croft outfit. that was a sad day.

ouch! would love to see that cosplay though :)

x2 :p

I've had a video game crush on Lara Croft since I was in my teens lol.

That was my first attempt at making a costume by hand (mostly) and I was pretty proud of all the wire and gear additions I worked into it. Even had these awesome light up toy guns that I painted in shades of bronze and gold to be her desert eagles. MAJOR MOTIVATION to lose weight!

@fitgeekery I second the notion to cosplay at all the cons! My next idea is to do Sazh Katzroy from FFXIII. Already have the afro wig and the baby chocobo to put in it :)
  • Fitgirl_666
    Fitgirl_666 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I would loooove to go to a Con but I have no one to go with
  • FitGeekery
    Options
    @BluFoxxe‌ Final Fantasy! And baby chocobo?! Haha you'll have to share pics when that costume is done, I'd love to see it. The long-term cosplay aspiration is to pull off a solid Catwoman. Not the most original idea maybe, but I figured no matter the material a skin tight body suit is also the least forgiving so it'll encourage me to go the extra mile.

@Fitgirl_666‌ Well excepting this year if you're ever interested in coming to the Emerald City Comic Con in Seattle you're welcome to join me and my geek girls!
  • Fitgirl_666
    Options
    @FitGeekery‌ That would be fabulous if I could!
  • Fitgirl_666
    Options
    funny-India-hair-recovery-advertising-Jensen-Ackles.jpg

O_o
  • FitGeekery
    Options
    @Fitgirl_666‌ It's such a fun weekend! All the nerdiness, cosplay, comics and great foodie spots you could want. Walking around everywhere all day for a few days balances out the foodie dinners (we usually go to Trader Joe's before and stock up on healthy snacks and meals, but eat at some amazing restaurants for dinner) :D
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Any of you also into punk, hardcore, death metal or metal?

I've been attending punk and hardcore and metal shows since '86. As much as I am into Dr. Who (only since I was 11) BSG, Dune, Asimov, etc, I am also a punk hardcore nerd. Love those genre of music.

va-make-the-collector-nerd-sweat.jpg
    "Make the record collector nerd sweat."
  • illusion2269
    illusion2269 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Geeks of the world unite!! Computer/Video Game/SciFi/Movie geek here, trying to lose weight and improve my overall health after back surgery 2 years ago. Just started using this site this week, but have been working out at the gym and changed my diet for the past 6 months. So far I've lost over 40 lbs and 2 jean sizes.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Any of you also into punk, hardcore, death metal or metal?

I've been attending punk and hardcore and metal shows since '86. As much as I am into Dr. Who (only since I was 11) BSG, Dune, Asimov, etc, I am also a punk hardcore nerd. Love those genre of music.

va-make-the-collector-nerd-sweat.jpg
    "Make the record collector nerd sweat."

**thumbs up**
  • jessicado22
    jessicado22 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Harry Potter fandom member right here. Seriously pissed I still haven't gotten my freaking letter to Hogwarts. Although I've always liked the series, I've only recently decided to become a geek about it and embrace my love of the wizarding world - my weight loss goal rewards is now a HP tattoo :)

I honestly don't get to watch much TV (working my way slowly through Vampire Diaries right now when I run on the treadmill) as kids don't really allow for adult TV time...so not really any other fandoms. I just listen to a crapton of audiobooks.
  • jessicado22
    jessicado22 Posts: 159 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    mango90 wrote: »
    I don't really "do" gaming but I love Dr Who, LOTR, Harry Potter, Walking Dead (and anything zombie related), Marvel, Disney, I go to Comic Con, read *kitten* tons, watch loads of films, love musicals, terrible at socailising (lol), have loads of tattoos (working on a sleeve right now), love old style vampires when they were evil and not all lovey dovey like they are now (Interview with the Vampire is my fave film ever!!)

I approve of every in this. Lol. Except the gaming of course. ;) I hate the new vampires too.

I agree.
    1. Vampires should never SPARKLE (when I read those books and got to that part, I nearly choked and then proceeded to suffer through one of the movies, eee gads)
    2. What is the point of vampires without blood and sex?
    3. Unless they are the evil gory kinda 30 days of night vamps, those are acceptable.
    I wore a Twilight shirt for my senior pictures in high school that I know I'm going to regret for years to come.

Ha ha that just made me laugh out loud. In all honesty I think Twilight gets a bad rap from the movies. The books weren't that bad and I thought they had a lot of originality at the time. I'm not a fan or anything, but I did enjoy reading them. I probably would've enjoyed the movies too if Kristen Stewart hadn't played Bella. That chick can't act for crap and annoys me to no end....

• cmasongreen
    cmasongreen Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I like most things that have been mentioned on here...and I don't want to relist them all but right now I am watching Supernatural and The Walking Dead. I have watched Dr. Who here and their but I haven't been able to sit and watch it a lot because of time constraints.

Also, I haven't read through everything so I might be rehashing here...but anyone listen to 'Welcome to Night Vale?' Excellent podcast that I classify as nerdy. But that doesn't do it justice. There is literally no word to describe how weird and cool it is at the same time haha.
  • immaish
    Options
    I would love some geek/nerd friends! I don't have a lot to lose but I'd like to drop what I've gained over the last couple years. My husband and I are gamers, I saw some people mention PAX - we met at Prime many years ago and it was nerd love at first sight! He consoled me after my 15 minutes of fame as an Omeganaut. Curse you Beatles Rock Band!

I love LOTR, Supernatural, Star Wars, Star Trek, Marvel, Batman, etc etc. All dem vidja gamez. I saw someone mention the "PC Master Race" earlier which made me laugh pretty hard. I was a staunch console gamer until my hubby converted me. (BUT...anyone see the Win10 announcements?! One Windows To Rule Them All! Xbox games on your phone! Ahhhhh!)

Right now though I am certifiably obsessed with Marvel Puzzle Quest. Can't. Look. Away.

I have been a lurker for some time now, wouldn't mind some people to chat with on my friends list if anyone wants to add me. :)