Options
    That pussycat is cute.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »

I would say that there is plenty of room for argument that the body does not differentiate between sugar based on source.

Fine. Prove it. Show me how the body differentiates between, say, glucose sourced from a donut or an apple - not the digestive process, but the actual glucose molecules.

I can't because no one removes the molecules and eats them alone. Prove to me that someone does this or I say it's a silly argument. 'This would never ever happen, but if it did, your body couldn't tell the difference.' Yeah, sound logic there.

I'll try and make this as simple as possible:

A woman eats a donut on Monday. It has sucrose in it. The same woman eats an apple on Tuesday. It has fructose and glucose in it.

Please explain to me how the body differentiates between the glucose and fructose sourced from the sucrose in the donut and the glucose and fructose sourced from the apple post digestion?

Please tell me how what happens post digestion is the only thing important in regards to diet? Does digestion not happen in the body? Does it not have an affect on the body?

You know what? I can't honestly be bothered arguing the same point over and over again. You either understand basic human physiology and organic chemistry or you don't.

So here's a picture of a kitten doing something cute.

sagzog4i13pg.jpg

Ahh, how cute. Both your lack of an answer and the kitty. <3o:)

As opposed to your lack of answer and NO kitty?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

I would say that there is plenty of room for argument that the body does not differentiate between sugar based on source.

Fine. Prove it. Show me how the body differentiates between, say, glucose sourced from a donut or an apple - not the digestive process, but the actual glucose molecules.

I can't because no one removes the molecules and eats them alone. Prove to me that someone does this or I say it's a silly argument. 'This would never ever happen, but if it did, your body couldn't tell the difference.' Yeah, sound logic there.

A woman eats a donut on Monday. It has sucrose in it. The same woman eats an apple on Tuesday. It has fructose and glucose in it.

Please explain to me how the body differentiates between the glucose and fructose sourced from the sucrose in the donut and the glucose and fructose sourced from the apple post digestion?

Please tell me how what happens post digestion is the only thing important in regards to diet? Does digestion not happen in the body? Does it not have an affect on the body?

You know what? I can't honestly be bothered arguing the same point over and over again. You either understand basic human physiology and organic chemistry or you don't.

sagzog4i13pg.jpg

Yes. But then my questions didn't require a laboratory and test subjects to answer.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    and here we go again ..another sugar is the devil debate..

OP - unless you have a medical condition that makes you sensitive to sugar there is no reason to avoid it or view it as "bad"...

Isn't that what we all came for? Because the OP certainly didn't call it the devil.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

OP - unless you have a medical condition that makes you sensitive to sugar there is no reason to avoid it or view it as "bad"...

Isn't that what we all came for? Because the OP certainly didn't call it the devil.

so sugar is bad = angelic?
  • Fuchsiagenii
    Options
    My answer to the original poster's question with regard to which yogurt to eat:

Eat the one that you enjoy regardless of the sugar content in it. The information on the carton will give you nutritional and calorie values. You would have to seriously consider the sugar content of foods if you were glucose intolerant or diabetic. Unfortunately, these conditions can creep up on anyone.

Personally I love the Greek Style FULL fat yogurt and add my own soft fruit.
    I would rather go for natural sugars any day rather than the artificial sweetners.

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Speak for yourself. I don't allow sugar to hide from me, so I know precisely how much sugar I eat and in what and it does not concern me.

I just had this hilarious image in my head of you playing hide and seek with giant sugar cubes in your house screaming, "GET OUT HERE RIGHT NOW SUGAR, YOU CAN'T HIDE FROM ME".

Perhaps the sugar has rotted my teeth and the bacteria is seeping into my brain.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Options

so sugar is bad = angelic?

I would call it benign within the context of the OP's questions.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

sagzog4i13pg.jpg

I love you so hard for this right now.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    YES, sugar is BAD for us.

And for those of you that do not know - ALL CARBOHYDRATES are converted into GLUCOSE by the body.

Regarding the composition of fruit - I am not a chemist and I too have read the web link that with regard to herrspoons comments "There are three dietery monosaccharides - glucose, fructose and galactose. Lactose, like maltose and sucrose, is a disaccharide."

What I was trying to put across is that eating a whole fruit, although it contains "sugar" has healthy benefits because of the vitamins, antioxidants and fibre that it contains. And drinking fruit juice is not the same as having a whole fruit.

With regard to the sugar content in the yogurts - I was advised by my dietician to go for the ones that contain 3% of sugar or less. Now 3% of any amount is 3% for those of you that do not know your maths. And of course, if you are counting your calorie intake the more you eat the more calories you will have eaten, but the percentage of sugar will still
    be 3% of the total that you ate (the carbohydrate of which are sugars will be different).

There was an advert on UK TV last night, with regard to people cutting down on their intake of sugar! A programme a couple of nights ago on UK TV about the Tudors, showed how their health deteriorated because of eating - SUGAR! The sugar caused dreadful tooth decay and because of that, bacteria entered into the blood stream. Their dentistry was not as advanced as ours and they did not have pain killing relief nor any antibiotics. Any rotten teeth were pulled out with no sedation. Most of them had died because of blood poisoning due to getting the rotten teeth (and infections) which was an entry for bacteria from eating too much SUGAR!

Our modern diet consists of too much sugar and sugar in all sorts of products (hidden sugars).

There was also a programme not long ago on UK TV that talked about that sugar is far worse than fat.
    Many years ago we were told that butter was no good for us, now we are told that it is better to eat butter than some of the margarines. We were told that fat was bad for us and now we are told there are good fats and bad fats. The good fats are those in fish, nuts, avocado pears and coconuts.

Eating everything in moderation is the key, but with people who have a glucose intolerance or have diabetes, it is even more important to control sugar intake whether this is from simple or complex carbs.

Eating a snickers bar everyday is fine as long as you are eating other healthy foods and are not glucose intolerant or a diabetic.

I would be more inclined to blame syphilis and inbreeding for the majority of health issues the Tudors faced...

Do you just believe every "documentary" on the TV?
    And finally, while you are entitled to your opinions, when you present your opinions as facts, you had best expect them to be challenged..

This. Did they even have toothbrushes back then?
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

Or you can just live being confused even though you think you aren't.

Confused about what, MrM27?

• PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    When people say "sugar is bad" or anything along those lines, I have this whole inner monologue
    -teen girl voice-
    "But MOMMMMM. Sugar is just a SWEET guy with a bad reputation!"
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    "Because, BEETUS" on page 2.

I seriously want to make Sugar thread bingo cards.

Are you aware that MFP Bingo is a thing?

GET OUT!

No, I wasn't aware. Sigh. All the good ideas got taken before I got here. I even started making one that said S-U-G-A-R instead of BINGO.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    "Because, BEETUS" on page 2.

I seriously want to make Sugar thread bingo cards.

Are you aware that MFP Bingo is a thing?

GET OUT!

No, I wasn't aware. Sigh. All the good ideas got taken before I got here. I even started making one that said S-U-G-A-R instead of BINGO.

Haha. I shall PM you the Bingo card!

Me too - I never got one! Couldn't figure out who the Bingo B***ch was since Jof said it wasn't him anymore...

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Now, I understand sugar is BAD however I love yoghurt and I'm totally confused which type is better for weight loss!? Clean eating tells me full fat yoghurt is best but low fat/98% fat free ones seem best for my weight loss??? Help knowledgable foodies!!! ????

I eat plain fat free yogurt so that I can save my fat calories for full fat cheese as a bedtime snack and I can save some of my carbs for other things. Hasn't hurt my weight loss yet. I don't track sugars, just limit my carbs to a daily max of 180 g.

58841349.png
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »
    YES, sugar is BAD for us.

And for those of you that do not know - ALL CARBOHYDRATES are converted into GLUCOSE by the body.

Regarding the composition of fruit - I am not a chemist and I too have read the web link that with regard to herrspoons comments "There are three dietery monosaccharides - glucose, fructose and galactose. Lactose, like maltose and sucrose, is a disaccharide."

What I was trying to put across is that eating a whole fruit, although it contains "sugar" has healthy benefits because of the vitamins, antioxidants and fibre that it contains. And drinking fruit juice is not the same as having a whole fruit.

With regard to the sugar content in the yogurts - I was advised by my dietician to go for the ones that contain 3% of sugar or less. Now 3% of any amount is 3% for those of you that do not know your maths. And of course, if you are counting your calorie intake the more you eat the more calories you will have eaten, but the percentage of sugar will still
    be 3% of the total that you ate (the carbohydrate of which are sugars will be different).

There was an advert on UK TV last night, with regard to people cutting down on their intake of sugar! A programme a couple of nights ago on UK TV about the Tudors, showed how their health deteriorated because of eating - SUGAR! The sugar caused dreadful tooth decay and because of that, bacteria entered into the blood stream. Their dentistry was not as advanced as ours and they did not have pain killing relief nor any antibiotics. Any rotten teeth were pulled out with no sedation. Most of them had died because of blood poisoning due to getting the rotten teeth (and infections) which was an entry for bacteria from eating too much SUGAR!

Our modern diet consists of too much sugar and sugar in all sorts of products (hidden sugars).

There was also a programme not long ago on UK TV that talked about that sugar is far worse than fat.
    Many years ago we were told that butter was no good for us, now we are told that it is better to eat butter than some of the margarines. We were told that fat was bad for us and now we are told there are good fats and bad fats. The good fats are those in fish, nuts, avocado pears and coconuts.

Eating everything in moderation is the key, but with people who have a glucose intolerance or have diabetes, it is even more important to control sugar intake whether this is from simple or complex carbs.

Eating a snickers bar everyday is fine as long as you are eating other healthy foods and are not glucose intolerant or a diabetic.

I would be more inclined to blame syphilis and inbreeding for the majority of health issues the Tudors faced...

Do you just believe every "documentary" on the TV?
    And finally, while you are entitled to your opinions, when you present your opinions as facts, you had best expect them to be challenged..

This. Did they even have toothbrushes back then?

They did but most people just used a soft twig

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

No, she just seemed defensive or guilty about the fact that she eats yogurt.

Which, again, suggests that this anti sugar stuff is way out of hand.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Personally I love the Greek Style FULL fat yogurt and add my own soft fruit.

Uh-oh. I ran the numbers, and full fat Greek seems to have about 4% sugar, which I recall you saying was a no-no.

AND, hate to tell you this, but if you add fruit the fruit plus yogurt will have WAY more than 3% sugar.
    I would rather go for natural sugars any day rather than the artificial sweetners.

What does this have to do with OP's question? Are you suggesting that low fat yogurt has artificial sweeteners whereas full fat does not?
This discussion has been closed.