WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2015

Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,685 Member
    Options
    Pip. - I ended up scraping through the day with 50 cals to spare. And yes I did eat the calorie free strawberry jello. :laugh: Now I'm going to bed before I raid the fridge.
    - Heather, still hungry in Hampshire UK. :ohwell:

U STILL crack me up lmao!!
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Hope everyone is enjoying their day.
    Took a nap fell asleep for 2 hours.
    HUGS
    jane
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options
    Jane – so glad it worked out…

Samanthadee2 – welcome

Mary – interesting side affect, if I recall right Beth’s son tried Botox also. Great loss!

Sharon - Why are you cutting out these items… the caffeine I get, but lemon and tomato? They are not high calorie…hmmm is it an acid thing? I don’t do caffeine and instead do herbal teas.

Alison – I am sorry about the bird store gig…. Hang in there – the right thing is out there! (((((hugs))))))))) I am glad DH did not have a cow about the credit card.

Carol – glad you got a sunshine walk!!!

Diana – Congrats on the loss

Yanniejannie – great weight loss…

Heather – your DH does your color? Wow – he is a catch!!! LOL

Lesley – so glad you found Brian and the scale is loving you!

Did well last night at the dinner out... had just the salad I had pre-picked and it was so so good! I wore my new sweater and got lots of really positive comments, which was so nice! worked in a garden this morning - Moved 1 rose bush, and planted 2 new ones, we have heavy clay soil and so digging holes is really heavy labor - I had a bigger than normal lunch I was really hungry; I'll pick something lighter for dinner.

Well I have to jet have a project to finish for a client.

January goals:
    Walk every day
    Log all bites everyday
    Do a fun thing every week.

Kim from N. California
    58855297.png
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Heather: I’m curious about sea trout. Are they a type of salmon? On the subject of mental acuity, “they” also say coffee is good to prevent Alzheimers. My take on this is that caffeine helps prevent Alzheimers.

Dr. Katie: I agree with you about privacy. I don’t share anything that I wouldn’t be willing to have friends, enemies and strangers see.

Mary from MN: I looked up elephant skin and it is a really extreme condition. I have some tiny wrinkles here and there from skin that is a bit bigger than me. Nothing is awful but I keep hoping it will gradually diminish. I don’t have anything that would warrant surgery. Part of this is good luck, and possibly genetics, and part of this is from taking off the weight slowly. My tummy could use some significant flattening and shows the effects of two babies more now than it did in the early years after they were born.

Kim: Congrats on doing a good job while having dinner out. That is a victory worth celebrating with a happy dance.

I took my neighbor to the fitness facility this morning for Zumba. We both had a good time, and I think she will join. I ended up with a sore knee. If I go to Zumba again I’m going to have to be CAREFUL to avoid sideways pressure on my knee. I took advil and am feeling better than I was right after class. Yoga and core strengthening are my favorite classes. One of the yoga teachers is absolutely fabulous, and the other is okay. I like both core teacher’s methods, too. One is also yoga based. The other is the gym’s trainer and she is good. I also use some weight machines to fill time while I'm waiting for a class. All of this fitness effort is such a surprise. I never thought I'd do anything like it.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

January Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hi gang. Boy am I tired of being tired. Had a strange episode with a student today who got frustrated to the point of becoming very angry and kind of worrisome. After work I went grocery shopping and now I am really beat.

No one came to arrest me after I suggested shaking the “baby”. So I guess all is well. The teacher wrote me a nice note because I sent her an email saying Alena could not bring that baby home again because it was so intolerable.

First physical therapy is tomorrow and I’ll finish the grocery shopping. We are having dinner with some friends and they eat really low fat, so I’m sure I’ll do fine tomorrow but I sure need to get back to logging!

OK, need to run. Take care everyone , Meg from Omaha

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,976 Member
    Options
    smiley-cool05.gif Jake is doing much better today. He did an awesome job Tuesday and yesterday following the chiropractor's instructions about Ice and wearing the cervical collar and taking it easy. He slept better last night and more movement in his neck today. He was able to roll the garbage can back into the garage, walk each dog for a short time at noon, and fix lunch. Thank you all of you for your good wishes for him.

smiley-computer004.gifI had several computer projects to do today for a committee I belong to and I completed them and got them sent off to the right people.

smiley-happy020.gif There are so many conflicting bits of information out there about what to eat and not eat and when to eat and not eat....the most important thing for me was to choose a plan and find the help to stick to it no matter what. Any plan in useless if every time I get my feelings hurt or something doesn't go my way, I go to the cupboard or refrigerator for comfort.

smiley-greet024.gif I am still calling my 94 year old cousin every day. She is in a rehab place right now and has no idea when she'll go home but she talks about wanting to come see me (she's in NYC and I'm in Washington State). She has come to a point of talking about the same thing every day and forgetting a bit of things we've talked about before. I try to have some interesting story to tell her every day so there is something to fill the time on the phone. When she lapses into saying "Old age is the pits, don't try to tell me different, and no one should live past age 70", I tell her I love her and I'll call her tomorrow.

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gif20,000 steps today--almost three hours of dog walking, line dance class, exercise bike

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from NW Washington smiley-happy020.gif smiley-happy093.gif

My quote for 2015 (and the last five years)---The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

My word for 2015 is "now"---I won't wallow in the past or waste time worrying about the future

January Resolutions
    *walk 18,500 steps a day
    *strength training twice a week smiley-sport017.gif
    *review our will and documents of personal information
    *don't expect praise or recognition
    *learn and teach two new dances253149qtzkf0ld22.gif

146200.png
  • SueTN2
    SueTN2 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon.

I enjoyed reading all the post again today.

I was curious about the not allowed food list too, if it's like combination foods.

I drink decaf coffee but regular diet drinks and tea.

Sue from TN

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options
    filling a couple of minutes... Barbie, you are so good at calling your cousin everyday - the patience of a saint. I get frustrated with the repeating... I need to remember I too could be there some day!

I have a nice fire going, and a thai soup warming for dinner... it is based from a swanson infused broth product that they seem to have discontinued; but I loved it! I have two more boxes in the pantry they are a bit high in sodium, but so yummy, I just drink a boat load of water...

smiles - thinking of you all.

Kim
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding.

*Allison, I’m so sorry about the bird seed store. That sounded just perfect. Perhaps something better will come along, you never know. It’s great that hubby didn’t have a fit about the credit card. Sending good vibes your way.

*I wasn’t even going to weigh in about people posting a name or nickname on their posts, but I’m afraid people are now getting a little paranoid. (pun intended) We all have the choice of what we are willing to share.

Susan wrote: After reading what Cynthia360 said about these posts being out there on the internet, I googled my username and yup, any posts I made in the Community posts is there. Makes me a little uncomfortable...I do notice that the threads from a group I belong to on here don't seem to be on the internet, and neither are my private messages or the posts I make on my homepage. Has this group ever considered making this a group instead of a message board thread? Susan
    Susan, I googled your nick just to see what came up. Yes there were numerous MFP sites that you had evidentially posted on, but when I clicked them, it didn’t even go to your posts. Obviously we need to be careful about the information we put out there, but truth be known, people that want to, can find out all kinds of information about us. Ladies, we should all do what we are comfortable with, and yes it’s nice to have some type of name to refer to each other with. Make one up if that is what suites you or don’t use one at all if that’s what you want. It is also nice to know what country you are from, as a frame of reference. I want us all to be safe. Like drkatie said, “I don't share anything I wouldn't mind people knowing."

**Congrats to all the losers! Hopefully I will be back among you sometime soon. I’m exercising more and eating within calorie allowances and haven’t moved much the whole month. *whine, whine* I know my day will come.

*Heather, isn’t it funny how “they” keep changing their minds about what is good for us and what is bad. Honestly sometimes I just feel like ignoring it all, because it will change in a few years. Good for you on resisting that urge for chocolate.

*Leslie, I’m so happy for you that you found Brian. He sounds like a real gift. If I were Stan, I might be getting a little jealous. (Tee hee hee) Glad the scale is moving for you.

*Katla, I think it’s great the way you have embraced exercising. Maybe one day I’ll get there. I have done some Zumba at home to videos and find that many of the moves are not friendly to my back. Of course they are the moves that help reduce around the middle where I need it.

*Barbie, I’m so happy that Jake is feeling better. That is such an uncomfortable pain to bear.
    I agree that finding a plan and sticking to it is the way to go. I have a friend that is always telling me about some new diet she’s heard about. The other day she asked if I had looked up the Dr. Phil diet that she told me about and I finally said, “No. I don’t need another diet. I’ve tried many and they don’t work for me long term. I have now taken a new way of eating and looking at food and it’s working for me.” She said okay and I think she finally gets it. She has been very supportive of my weight loss so I don’t fault her.

Welcome to all the newbies. We are glad to have you with us.

Ladies, you are all such great inspiration, with your exercising, eating habits and all the things you do each day. I wish us all the greatest health and happiness.

My word for the of the month is savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.

Janet in Myrtle Beach, SC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,685 Member
    Options
    Marking the spot, nite peeps
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,385 Member
    Options
    Did about 40 minutes of Gin Miller's Toallly Endurance DVD today. Tomorrow I'll do one of the downloadable spinning workouts that I have. Unfortunately, the guy who made them can't make any more since he died. Oh well.....

Welcome everyone new!

Gail - glad you're feeling good now. What kind of needlework are you doing?

yanniejannie - glad your daughter took the news so well. Sometimes our kids really surprise us how well they take news. I was surprised at how well Jessica handled taking Lance to the vet to be cremated.

Joyce - great advice to Beth. I didn't know that there were MS societies, but it certainly makes sense. I guess I didn't know since I don't have MS, but that was great advice you gave Beth.

Sharon
    - you can't get the eyebrows tattooed on now? Interesting...... Why can't you get it done now but need the surgery? I'll keep my fingers crossed for your daughter.

Alison - Oh no...that job. I can see their point, but I'm so sorry for you

Cynthia and sprepej - I just googled "exermom". I'm surprised at how much came up!

peachstategal - about the toll lane...maybe they'll go to Easy Pass? Hopefully! We have one and you just drive right thru the toll, a light picks up the transmission from the transponder you have on your windshield and deducts the toll from your account. Most states have gone to Easy Pass, but I know that FL still has their ePass which is not compatible. What a hassle!

Beth - I'm so sorry your son's aides are moving on. What a headache for you! When we lived in PA, we used to wash our cars well right after winter. Maybe you'll have to do that with his new "vehicle". Hey, can you put some car wax on it at least once/year?

Gotta give Loki his med then off to the Green Room. Newcomer bowling tonight.

ReNae - love your sign off "keep it skinny"

Sylvia - I don't know why, but restaurants put so so much salt in their foods. Don't they know how to cook with less salt? I guess not. I never like running, either.

Heather - congrats resisting that chocolate!

About security: Oh, I'm SURE there are lots and lots of people out there who really care about prices of things <snicker> and healthy recipes <another snicker>. I do have to admit, tho, that one thing I now think about is posting that I'm going away. On one hand, if I don't, I know people on this board will be concerned if they don't hear from me in a while. On the other hand, what a good way for someone to know when I'm not home and it's safe to rob our house. On the other hand, I've done it before and nothing's ever happened. Honestly, I'll probably continue to let people know what's up. Our posts are NOT that interesting to anyone except people on this board.

Kim - We have red clay so I know how hard it is to dig in the clay. It's the pits! Bet you burned tons of calories

barbie - that is so nice of you to call your cousin. There's a special place in heaven for people like you.

Michele in NC
  • nannykely
    Options
    Looking for new friends over 50 to help me stay on track and for encouragement.
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Michele, I'm doing the third needlepoint Christmas stocking -- did the ones for DS#1 and his sweetheart before the holiday and now doing the one for DS#2 for the coming Christmas. After that I'm think I'm going to knit a couple of chemo caps for my sister with BC. One of the patterns uses FIZZ eyelash yarn that is kind of 'hairy' and ends up looking like a short head of hair. I don't know if she'll wear it, but done in a good color it would take people more time to figure out. I think its cute. The other pattern is a simple lace pattern.

Gail, metro ATL
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    DH and I just attended a presentation on “Community in the Age of the Internet. We sat in groups and had conversations that were organized by our “presenter,” a college professor. He didn’t actually give a talk; he led us in small group discussions. The audience was seated in circles of about six people, each circle being a discussion group. The discussion group DH and I were in included some people I know and some strangers. We talked about internet community sites such as facebook and linkedin. I mentioned our MFP group of women as an example of positive community on the internet.

One man was concerned because his brilliant daughter, whose plan it is to go to veterinary medical school, has hideous penmanship and poor spelling skills. He said that the use of spell-checkers and electronic editing allowed young people to get by without good spelling and grammar skills. He knew I was a teacher and asked how we addressed it. I told him that we endeavored to level the playing field and equalize things by getting technology into the hands of all of the kids, including the poor kids. We wanted them to be able to write papers, produce powerpoint presentations, and talk to a group. We also wanted to help their parents access the school website in order to get information on their kid’s work and check their grades online. I don’t think it was what he wanted to hear but he accepted my comments.

I enjoyed the experience and want to attend other things as they come up. I expect each presentation to be quite different. The next one I’m interested in is about Columbia River Native Women. I want to go, but I don’t think we’ll be in town for it. DH wasn’t as pleased with the experience and I’ll likely be going on my own in the future.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

January Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Well I didn't write any notes tonight as I read through the days posts. So my brain is kind of empty. Yep, empty!!!! Allison, since your husband was OK with you spending those hours away from the house and him on Sunday, could you do any volunteer work with animals during that time. No it wouldn't get you any money but it would get you into networking with people who would get to know you and what you have to offer with animals. Plus working with animals is so calming to the soul.

That's all I have to offer this evening. Oh, welcome nannykely. Just jump in on the conversation in anyway you want to.

Joyce, Indiana
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Wow what happened last I looked I'm sure we were on page 35. We are a chatty bunch.

I was so tired on Wednesday that I didn't read all the posts, but think I posted. Yesterday I had a day off work and had a quiet morning catching up with housework. I also tried an idea I'd seen on the decluttering website - on tackling the "junk" drawer in the kitchen I sorted it out and put the bits and bobs in plastic containers. I'm going to Asda this morning and think I'll see if they have slightly bigger containers as I think two larger ones would look better than the 3 ice cream size tubs I have in the drawer at the moment.

So sorry ladies, but I haven't read the last 3 pages as I'm trying not to spend too long on the computer on a morning. This gives me time to tidy away the breakfast things and get the place in some sort of order before going to work, I'm usually too tired to do much on a night. (I'm hoping I'm going to have more energy when then nights get lighter) All I want to do is sleep. I'm hoping that this will free up some time on a weekend, as that's when I do all my catch up stuff.

At least today I have a bit more time as I'm not at work, but I still need to get organised as I'm going shopping.

My DH always said I'd miss him when he's gone (in a jokey way) and it is in the silly little things like as he was always home I never had to lock the front door. On Wednesday I left my key in the door ( I have been very forgetful lateley!) My DD texted me at work to tell me - I'm not even sure if I'd locked the door either before leaving the key. Typically, this was the day I had not gone back to check if the door was locked. Other times I'd get a few steps away and go back to check. I can just imagine him saying "see I told you you'd miss me" He had such a dry sense of houmour.

Well I'd better get ready for my shopping trip.
    Love to all

Viv xx Cold but dry and bright York UK
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I'll try to answer all the questions about the brow reconstruction. It is not surgery. It is similar to what they do for lashes. I have no brows so they have to use a special adhesive and attach each hair individually to my skin. We will be finishing it up tomorrow but I have a feeling this isn't a long term solution for me. I probably wouldn't have done it if I didn't receive a gift certificate for Christmas. I didn't go the tattoo route yet as it is costly and because you can't change it. I worry about having them tattooed and ending up looking more than a little crazed.

My no list has nothing to do with losing weight although if I stick to it that could be a side effect. It is not combination foods either. Here is my No List:
    Caffeinated drinks, carbonated drinks, chocolate, mint, citrus fruits, spicy foods.
    They thought it was my heart but that has been ruled out as the problem. They suspect that I may have Silent Reflux. It causes me to choke and then vomit among other things(I should be skinny as a rail). I will try this until April and if it isn't better then I will have to have an endoscopy.

I stayed the same at my weigh-in so I know I have to watch food intake more and up the exercise.

Alison- Stay Strong and try to be positive. I keep a journal and every time I write in it I list 5 things I am grateful for, it helps. I'm sorry the bird job fell through but something better is just around the corner I'm sure.

Best wishes to all
    Sharon in Alberta
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning, off for most of the day and wishing us all a good day.

Cynthia
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,794 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    thank you for all the love...it warms my soul <3
    I went and fed my DFIL yesterday he was better than the day before,but fed him in bed...then came home and did a load of laundry and just sat on my butt the rest of the day except for making the DH dinner..
    I did go online and I took out a debt consolidation loan and shredded the credit card..
    no more credit cards for me, and the the money that goes in my checking account will go towards that.. so this girl will be getting a whopping 20.00 a week for spending money.. but I usually dont use it anyway so will keep stashing maybe 10.00 of it away in jar for a rainy day or something I really want.
    it feels wonderful to know I have you all to fall back on.. I was bad I just stuffed my face with stuff yesterday.but today is a new day and I will do my best to stay on track.
    tomorrow I work 7:30-12 and we are supposed to have heavy wet snow..but only 3-6 inches.
    Dont know if we will cancel patients today or not..