Road to Six Pack ABs - Get Ripped!

Options

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    JosieRawr wrote: »
    What % do you lady's cut to before bulking? Also how long is recommended for a cut before refeeding?

I cut to below 18% before bulking and stop bulking around 23%. I cut for several months before a refeed, those usually come once I plateau or my performance in the gym starts to suffer.
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    @usmcmp Thank you! Just the info I was wanting! (about the reason for the refeed)
  • usmcmp
    Options
    JosieRawr wrote: »
    @usmcmp Thank you! Just the info I was wanting! (about the reason for the refeed)

My refeeds are usually about 300 calories above what my intake is for the cut. 100g protein, 20g fat, the rest carbs (from sources other than fruit).
  • devenfuentes
    devenfuentes Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Keeping your six pack will not happen after gaining 20 lbs. I bulked for 2 years gained 21.3 lbs to be exact. Was at 10.something percent body fat at the end. My eight pack was gone!! Sucked. Only had two abs left. Good luck though
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Keeping your six pack will not happen after gaining 20 lbs. I bulked for 2 years gained 21.3 lbs to be exact. Was at 10.something percent body fat at the end. My eight pack was gone!! Sucked. Only had two abs left. Good luck though
    Interesting. I've heard of transformations in which lean guys have still been able to keep a six pack even after gaining about 20 pounds. I think this is where individual body differences in hormones and nutrient partitioning become apparent. Some people may be at an advantage and have an easier time than others.
    Did you gain most of that weight in a shorter time period or was it evenly spread out over the 2 years?

• devenfuentes
    devenfuentes Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    [/quote]Interesting. I've heard of transformations in which lean guys have still been able to keep a six pack even after gaining about 20 pounds. I think this is where individual body differences in hormones and nutrient partitioning become apparent. Some people may be at an advantage and have an easier time than others.
    Did you gain most of that weight in a shorter time period or was it evenly spread out over the 2 years?

[/quote]

A pound at a time to minimize fat gain but I think you might be on to something with the individual body differences. I'm a naturally skinny guy so my abs were somewhat always there (4 of the 8) not very developed. Had to train a ton to get the eight but I probably didn't have them thick enough. Also all my fat gains go to my lower stomach hahaha. And idk about the guys who able to keep they're abs. I compete in physique bodybuilding competitions and every one ( that is natural) always somewhat lost their abs on a bulk
  • ForecasterJason
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Interesting. I've heard of transformations in which lean guys have still been able to keep a six pack even after gaining about 20 pounds. I think this is where individual body differences in hormones and nutrient partitioning become apparent. Some people may be at an advantage and have an easier time than others.

Do you have any links to these transformations?
    In a thread on that forum, this guy says he went from 155 to 180 and had an eight pack before and after. http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/flashstinson0/

• ForecasterJason
    Options

Do you have any links to these transformations?
    In a thread on that forum, this guy says he went from 155 to 180 and had an eight pack before and after. http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/flashstinson0/

Not a good example there.
    Not sure why you're saying that's not a good example, but here is another one. http://www.strengthandfitnesstips.com/about/

• funfang
    funfang Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I weighted 165 lbs before and in 4 months I was down to 140 lbs and now currently weigh 145 with fat % decreasing, which is super. I don't know if muscle memory will do me good. In average, with my height of 5' 9" my ideal weight would come down to about 165 - 175 lbs. Starting November is when I'll seriously pump heavier than my usual workout routine. keep posting~ and let's discuss what foods to eat.
    -
    I've increased my calorie intake to 2550 with MACRO staying at 40% protein 40% carb and 20% fats, hopefully this ratio will help me to bulk up faster.

Ratios won't really align your macros properly in many cases and even less so on a bulk. Take your 2,550 calories, 40% will put you at 255g of protein or 1.76g per lb of body weight which is unnecessarily high.

Grams>ratios.

Thank you! I have wonder about this for a while, if I follow my macro of 30%, it will put my protein about 30g over my weight. I was wondering which one I should follow.
  • proanthonylee
    proanthonylee Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    gain of 4 lbs...so far.
  • proanthonylee
    Options
    I need to work on my legs, I have very very scrawny leg compared to my upper body. I can put on some serious lbs if I can concentrate more on my thighs which has no meat on it. most of my muscle weight gain will come from thigh mass in the future. lifting heavy and gaining slowly but surely.
  • ForecasterJason
    Options
    Have you gained any noticeable fat? Four pounds in that amount of time seems a little high.
    In terms of muscle mass distribution, I'm the opposite. You wouldn't want to know just how small my upper body really is.
  • proanthonylee
    Options
    I've gained a bit of fat %, but not too much, I'm shredding more than bulking at the moment. I have a weaker lower body than my upper, so I'll be doing more of squats and deadlifts, etc for this week and next month to really get me stronger
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I've gained a bit of fat %, but not too much, I'm shredding more than bulking at the moment. I have a weaker lower body than my upper, so I'll be doing more of squats and deadlifts, etc for this week and next month to really get me stronger

How does that work?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

How does that work?

Gear...
  • beastcompany
    beastcompany Posts: 230 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I've read stories of guys who have basically been able to achieve that. It can be done, but most people around here seem to think bulking/cutting is better than gaining muscle while staying very lean.

Also, in case there was confusion, I didn't literally mean trying to bulk without gaining an ounce of body fat. Take for example a man who is 130 pounds with 8% body fat. That means he would have 10 pounds of fat and 120 pounds of lbm. If he does a clean bulk to 150 pounds and 9% body fat in 12-15 months, he would likely still have visible abs. However, that would mean he would have gained 3-4 pounds of fat (almost 25%).

The issue here is that, even a complete newbie is likely not going to achieve anywhere near a 75/25 ratio of lean mass/fat during a bulk...at least, not if they're doing so at anything respectable of a pace.

Sure, if they felt like taking 3-4 years to pack on that 20lbs...maybe, they would.

But for anyone bulking at a respectable rate, and actually making REAL progress, the optimal rate of development they'd likely experience would be closer to 50/50 (at best).
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

How does that work?

Gear...

Aware, but I doubt OP is on gear.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

How does that work?

Gear...

Aware, but I doubt OP is on gear.

OP is on something, but it's not gear.
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10009849/anthonys-daily-motivation-living-healthy-fit-rest-of-your-life/p1