Giving up diet soda. So hard!

Options

Replies

• LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Aviva, you definitely have a flagging fiend after you or maybe they are a pizza maker from the east coast. Either way - what a jerk!

On the positive side, my post directing OP to MFP's Facebook page which received 7 flags for Spam and was sadly buried :'( has reappeared. Apparently, it was reviewed by MFP and they found that the article written by their own registered dietitian was not spam after all.
  • LeenaGee
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    In this topic I have learned that the educational system is failing. Oh and giving up soft drinks and diet soft drinks is fine if that's your thing, but not really necessary and won't make the slightest difference if you still consume above your calorie allowance.

Apart from that... not a lot.

Yes I thought the same thing about the education system. They definitely need to concentrate on teaching manners.

I take it they didn't in your day?

My comment was a generalisation, yours was personal.

My kids would find it funny though as they would say to their friends who stayed for dinner "don't sit next to mum, she is a manners freak."

Yes Herrspoon, back in my day, manners were important and were a massive part of the education system. And yes, I do think it is something that is missing in todays society and is evident in the exchanges on this forum. Once again, a generalisation.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    pizza is only good from top notch pizza joints. otherwise, it sucks.

I also only like good pizza. East Coast United States (I am from there). Anywhere else from a real good Italian restaurant.

there is a lot of really bad pizza on the east coast. i'm from new york.

There is also a lot of good pizza. I'm from Boston and lived in New York. My husband is from New Jersey. On the west coast pizza is only good from very good Italian restaurants. Also fresh made pasta is so yummy!
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options

I also only like good pizza. East Coast United States (I am from there). Anywhere else from a real good Italian restaurant.

There is also a lot of good pizza. I'm from Boston and lived in New York. My husband is from New Jersey. On the west coast pizza is only good from very good Italian restaurants. Also fresh made pasta is so yummy!

maybe i'm picky then. most random pizza joints in ny just aren't good to me. they have to be really highly rated to be good.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

I've never had a great slice of pizza in NJ.

I didn't like the pizza in NJ either, but it's very close to NY. We have lived and worked in NY. He has family in NY. We have a lot of friends in NY. Always go to NY when visiting NJ. I'm sure there are a lot of crappy pizza places. But, there are a lot of good pizza places to choose from. Don't go to the bad ones. Do go to the good ones. I have had good pizza in Boston and NY. That doesn't mean all the pizza places are good. But, if you know the area, you can choose good places. I miss it. But there was one good place in California. A couple good places here. But, those are restaurants. Not pizza delivery or grab it by the slice. If you move away, you will see the pizza in other places is often all bad (in my opinion). When I am back in Boston and NY I love having pizza (from good places, not every single place). This is in response to Aviva.

Edit to add: I did have good pizza on the Jersey Shore once.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

I've never had a great slice of pizza in NJ.

I didn't like the pizza in NJ either, but it's very close to NY. We have lived and worked in NY. He has family in NY. We have a lot of friends in NY. Always go to NY when visiting NJ. I'm sure there are a lot of crappy pizza places. But, there are a lot of good pizza places to choose from. Don't go to the bad ones. Do go to the good ones. I have had good pizza in Boston and NY. That doesn't mean all the pizza places are good. But, if you know the area, you can choose good places. I miss it. But there was one good place in California. A couple good places here. But, those are restaurants. Not pizza delivery or grab it by the slice. If you move away, you will see the pizza in other places is often all bad (in my opinion). When I am back in Boston and NY I love having pizza (from good places, not every single place).

oh yeah, we have some good grab by the slice places here for sure.
  • LeenaGee
    Options
    Everyone loves pizza. :D
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    realharlot wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    While I can't be bothered to find it right now there are studies that show drinking diet soda can and will make you consume more calories. You're telling your brain that you are consuming very sugary things and then letting it know you lied to it.

In addition to that, when you drink sugary things all the time your tolerance for sweets goes way up. Soda suddenly doesn't taste as sweet as it used to because your taste buds have adjusted. If you spend a few months traveling India you probably wouldn't find Americanized Indian food very spicy anymore either. It's the same thing for sweet, salty, sour, and umami.

Think about the effect water is supposed to have in your body. It's supposed to replace the water that has been excreted (through crying, breathing, sweating, urinating, defecating, and menstruating). When you eat dry things it helps you push it along. Soda is basically sugary high ph acid for your body or low calorie chemical high ph acid for your body. When soda is your primary choice for liquid intake it's sure to take its toll on your organs.

It's all a matter of framing and finding a healthy substitute.
    You don't have time to post links to studies? Right. Maybe there are none.

That said, maybe soda does make some people hungrier but not everyone.

Eating sweets might cause some people to want more but, again, not everyone.

Your assertions are very general.

Links to peer reviewed studies, please. ;)

For you too, buddy! Clicky clicky!

Yeah, it seems to me you're trying to one up with your snark replies, but its not working. Your link is opinion only and not facts (as I posted a few posts up, but I guessed you missed it :)), therefore it is not all that reliable.

Have you found any peer reviewed studies to support your opinion?.

This is the Yale Journal of Biology and Medicine article that was linked on the right hand side of the VIDEO you clicked play on:
    ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/pdf/yjbm_83_2_101.pdf

It covers multiple clinical studies which can be cited with a teensy little bit of leg work. I consider it to be the most relevant seeing as it cites many opposed to few.

I've studied this - both the review paper (it's not a study) you link to and the referred studies. First of all, the control of confounding variables is at best dubious in a number of studies - for example, it is as likely that those using artificial sweetners were more prone to excess calorie consumption, and this was the cause of their weight gain, and that the use of sweeteners was incidental. As the review paper says:
    A strict differentiation between artificial sweetener users and non-users was not possible.

In other words, people who are more likely to over consume are more likely to use artificial sweeteners. It is not, however, the artificial sweeteners themselves that cause the weight gain. Again, as the review paper states:
    Vigilant monitoring, caloric restriction, and exercise were likely involved in the weight loss seen in multidisciplinary programs that included artificial sweeteners

Which is true - artificial sweeteners will not in themselves help weight loss. They are merely a means to potentially reduce calorie intake which will do nothing if overall calorie intake is not reduced.

So, unfortunately, this paper rather puts the cart before the horse and doesn't prove anything either way, hence the use of the word 'suggest' and, to be honest, the studies cited are so fundamentally flawed that they don't even suggest anything.

Yep. This author is trying to prove a link between artificial sweeteners with increased calorie consumption and higher BMI, but there is nothing on whether overeating was present prior to the studies, but my guess is that it was.

I love my sugar with a passion, as well as agave nectar and Stevia, but sometimes I'll put that splenda in my coffee at the coffee shop. Do I feel hungry after. No.

When I drank a liter of diet soda I was not any hungrier than usual, and my weight loss or gain or maintenance depended on what I chose to put in my mouth.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Thank you. Back later to read because we are out the door in a few.

THANK YOU.

Why are shouting? I hear just fine. ;)

I replied to your "study" just above.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    sewright84 wrote: »
    My hubby and I quit soda a long time ago and we replaced it with Crystal Light Ice Tea, it only has 5 calories a glass and after a while your craving for soda will go away :)

Crystal Light has artificial sweetener, correct? Do you feel hungrier drinking it? :)

I like Crystal Light as well, but it is sometimes too sweet for me.
  • zjpq
    zjpq Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    good for you!!
  • LeenaGee
    edited January 2015
    Options
    OK after 15 pages of reading for and against soda, pizza and goodness knows what else, I have made my decision.

Yes, I love pizza - the good healthy, homemade or good restaurant type pizza (wheat free for me) Yummy!!! Not a problem.

Soda of any type - forget it!! It has no nutritional value whatsoever and is a waste of my tummy space.

Hoooooorrrrrrrroooooo :D

Edited because I couldn't spell "hooroo" and I realised I was shouting.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Mamapeach, why the interest in getting people to drink diet soda? I would have thought someone with your medical history would be more interested in nutrition.

She's debunking false information. She has not expressed an interest in whether anyone drinks diet soda or not. Sometimes it seems like some people (you know who you are) would prefer that false information not be debunked if that false information might scare others into doing what you think is in their best interest. I think that's horrible, and that it's more important to have as much accurate information as possible. Then other adults can decide what they want to do based on facts.

Yes, I'm an eternal optimist.

For me, it's not that. It's about respecting their decision. Their reasons don't matter.

I don't believe that seeking more information to better give them the advice asked for or to have a discussion is "not respecting their decision." I see it as having a discussion and sharing thoughts and experience. I've also seen tons of people on these boards seem genuinely relieved in realizing that their diet didn't have to be as onerous as all that. I've also seen people get upset because others didn't go along with their super special cleanse plan, of course (OP is not in that category in any way), but I still think it was good people shared the facts.
    Interestingly, the demands to know why people want to do things only come up in the threads where people wish to discourage the behavior. I believe many people ask why just so that they can argue with the reason and mock the OP if the OP believes things they don't believe.

I have yet to see the mocking crowd ask anyone Why they want to increase their protein or throw out the Science! that suggests there is no benefit to going over a certain amount. When people ask how to increase protein, they're given answers. When they ask for helpful strategies to decrease pop or sweets, they get asked why and then mocked.

Not you, personally, but it happens. A lot.

If people want to cut pop, for whatever reason, they should be able to discuss it without being discouraged, much less mocked. It certainly won't harm them.
  • kathryn2130
    kathryn2130 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    i gave up sweets and diet soda and it's the diet soda that I miss so badly! I was drinking soda that didn't even have caffeine, but I apparently have quite an addiction.

I don't like spring water and I'm sick of water. What am I going to drink with pizza? Any ideas?

It's hard at first but you can do this. Diet soda can be just as bad for you as regular. It makes you more thirsty but masks it to your body like you are hungry and you end up eatting more than you realize. I drink water, flavored water, green teas w/ sucralose not aspertame, coffee. Good luck to you.
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Lemon juice in water, then just water. I think I'm lucky, I just decided to stop and stopped (same with smoking). But my boyfriend is trying to go from Coke to Coke Zero to no soda and it's been an eye opener watching how much he seems to crave it.

Maybe those water flavours, like Mio? I've seen some sweetened with stevia (don't get sucralose stuff if you're quitting diet soda for the chemicals).

Good luck.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,938 Member
    Options
    Mamapeach, why the interest in getting people to drink diet soda? I would have thought someone with your medical history would be more interested in nutrition.

She's debunking false information. She has not expressed an interest in whether anyone drinks diet soda or not. Sometimes it seems like some people (you know who you are) would prefer that false information not be debunked if that false information might scare others into doing what you think is in their best interest. I think that's horrible, and that it's more important to have as much accurate information as possible. Then other adults can decide what they want to do based on facts.

Yes, I'm an eternal optimist.

For me, it's not that. It's about respecting their decision. Their reasons don't matter.

I don't believe that seeking more information to better give them the advice asked for or to have a discussion is "not respecting their decision." I see it as having a discussion and sharing thoughts and experience. I've also seen tons of people on these boards seem genuinely relieved in realizing that their diet didn't have to be as onerous as all that. I've also seen people get upset because others didn't go along with their super special cleanse plan, of course (OP is not in that category in any way), but I still think it was good people shared the facts.
    Interestingly, the demands to know why people want to do things only come up in the threads where people wish to discourage the behavior. I believe many people ask why just so that they can argue with the reason and mock the OP if the OP believes things they don't believe.

I have yet to see the mocking crowd ask anyone Why they want to increase their protein or throw out the Science! that suggests there is no benefit to going over a certain amount. When people ask how to increase protein, they're given answers. When they ask for helpful strategies to decrease pop or sweets, they get asked why and then mocked.

Not you, personally, but it happens. A lot.

If people want to cut pop, for whatever reason, they should be able to discuss it without being discouraged, much less mocked. It certainly won't harm them.
    Personally it just about the misinformation. Unfortunately those same people have a difficult time with science. This is a nutritional forum after all and we discuss nutrition and then people wonder why they come up against an argument that is science based...... maybe a blog would be better with like minded people, and there's many here on just about any subject where science isn't much of a factor....... but for the new members it's important that they at least here what the science model has to say. I suspect this will not sit well with a certain demographic here, and of course it never will.

• lizardcave
    lizardcave Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    i gave up sweets and diet soda and it's the diet soda that I miss so badly! I was drinking soda that didn't even have caffeine, but I apparently have quite an addiction.

I don't like spring water and I'm sick of water. What am I going to drink with pizza? Any ideas?

I'm on day 26 of no diet soda so I feel for you! I just had to suck it up and drink water with lemon or plain water, but I let myself have one cup of coffee just to take the edge off the caffeine withdrawals. The weird thing is i realize I am craving less sugar now than I did before.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

It's hard at first but you can do this. Diet soda can be just as bad for you as regular. It makes you more thirsty but masks it to your body like you are hungry and you end up eatting more than you realize. I drink water, flavored water, green teas w/ sucralose not aspertame, coffee. Good luck to you.

What is wrong with aspartame and coffee?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,938 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

What is wrong with aspartame and coffee?
    Advertising and infomercials makes peoples research ability go full camo.

This discussion has been closed.