All those asking and answeing questions

Options
I have read a few questions and response that people have written on here. It's really discouraging as a new user to ask a question or suggest a helpful answer. There are so many people that feel that they have the right answer and everyone else's is wrong. Let's just be helpful not rude as this is supposed to be a helpful source of information. What works or has worked for you does not make it the only way or the right way way for others. It is nice to hear what has worked for others and some people can take from many different ideas to make their own work for them. I hope everyone that uses this wonderful app finds it helpful and encouraging, not opinionated and intimidating.

Replies

• belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately that's a thing prevalent on all forums, no matter what the focus of the forum. It's just best to ask what you want, because you don't know and need the answer. Then weed out the responses you don't find helpful.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    It's important to clarify when someone spreads misinformation. And it's especially important to continuously point out when/how someone is logging incorrectly whey they ask why they are stalling/not seeing results, and claiming they ARE logging correctly. Many of these users unfortunately tend to disregard the comments about their poor logging.

This is just how forums tend to work in general. Not just MFP. If you can't be vocal and back up what you are saying, or at least can't ignore any potential offense thrown at you, then you're probably not going to work your way into the forum setting very effectively.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    I've found it's easier to search for something here than to ask a question outright. Everyone here is apparently psychic, so no matter how carefully you phrase something, someone will insist it's not what you meant, or that you're wrong, or that they have more knowledge than you and your doctor. Less stressful to weed through where someone else has already been abused asking the same question than become the recipient of it yourself.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I couldn't agree more! There are so many trolls and just outright bullies on here. There are great people too, but it's work finding them! This is why I've built myself a good friends list of nice, supportive, common sense people, and then I post the questions on my own page where my friends list can see and respond, rather than just throwing them out here on the boards to get attacked and derailed. You're welcome to friend me if you would like input and idea sharing free of criticism or discouragement. :)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i find that the most intimidating and opinionated people are usually the ones that are saying "it worked for me" without any other type of backup or support.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2015
    Options
    OP, you have to also consider that disagreement =/= attacking. If someone makes a claim, people are the right to question and ask for scientific support to back the claim.

Also, we are all noobs as some point, so being told we are wrong and being given proof is they only way you will learn.

If someone is actually an attack, then report it, but after modding this forum for several years, the majority of the time, the OP or other posters are just being sensitive.

And more important, encouraging people to do stuff that is just wrong (like a cleanse or detox) isn't going to benefit the OP or lurkers at all.
  • AnotherXFitGuy
    AnotherXFitGuy Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Part of the problem is the bad information that is being passed on. People take real offense to someone talking about something they know "nothing" about. There are absolute right and wrong ways to do things and some in between in losing weight. But too frequently, someone who has lost 12 lbs and thinks they are an expert offers bad advise. This happens more often then not and can influence someone just starting. However, there is no reason for someone to respond rudely even if the information is wrong. If I have question, I'll find someone who "knows" what they are talking about and PM them. Or, I Google the information.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    I've found it's easier to search for something here than to ask a question outright. Everyone here is apparently psychic, so no matter how carefully you phrase something, someone will insist it's not what you meant, or that you're wrong, or that they have more knowledge than you and your doctor. Less stressful to weed through where someone else has already been abused asking the same question than become the recipient of it yourself.
    Except this doesn't happen. Someone will say "I have x problem" and they will either only post things like... a non-useful diary entry, how much they work out, or their life story.

So we then need to get down their stats, their goals, ask them to open up their diary.

IN most cases we will see that they are not logging properly, so we let them know. Or we will see that their goal is way too low and that, even though it likely is not the reason they are failing to see results, it is a very poor choice health-wise and could be very negatively affecting any of their exercise attempts (lowering their overall energy and recovery, for instance).

If it's another problem, then we try and get as much info as possible. Until then we can only provide some very basic advice. The only time people are "abused" is when the majority of posters give the SAME advice and OP ignores it entirely. At that point it's clear the OP only wants to hear what they want to hear. This is often the case in anti-sugar/junk food threads and when people demonstrate poor logging habits.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    It's worse here. There are civil, adult forums elsewhere, where people recognize that there is no one right way to do this.

A lot of the regulars here seem to be here mostly to proclaim their expert status and ridicule those who don't agree with them.
  • Ysmir
    Ysmir Posts: 828 Member
    Options

This.
  • JPW1990
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Except this doesn't happen. Someone will say "I have x problem" and they will either only post things like... a non-useful diary entry, how much they work out, or their life story.

So we then need to get down their stats, their goals, ask them to open up their diary.

IN most cases we will see that they are not logging properly, so we let them know. Or we will see that their goal is way too low and that, even though it likely is not the reason they are failing to see results, it is a very poor choice health-wise and could be very negatively affecting any of their exercise attempts (lowering their overall energy and recovery, for instance).

If it's another problem, then we try and get as much info as possible. Until then we can only provide some very basic advice. The only time people are "abused" is when the majority of posters give the SAME advice and OP ignores it entirely. At that point it's clear the OP only wants to hear what they want to hear. This is often the case in anti-sugar/junk food threads and when people demonstrate poor logging habits.

I just read in another thread where someone said her doctor prescribed her vitamin D, and listed other drugs and restrictions, so wanted to track it to make sure she's not getting too much. One of the first replies she got was don't bother tracking because the sun exists. That's not trying to get more info, that's making the assumption that the poster AND her doctor are both so ignorant, they set up this entire health plan without that important knowledge that only a random message board poster could enlighten them with.

That's not trying to get all the relevant information or clear up misinformation. It's just hubris, and they're always on the first page of replies.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Hey, welcome to the internet

Don't spout Bro-Science and you'll be fine

My question is would you prefer the regular / oldies to allow people to advise you that you should eat more calories to lose weight or that starvation mode exists which are two oft-spouted pieces of advice that have no science to back them up - other than it's what people have heard
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    It's worse here. There are civil, adult forums elsewhere, where people recognize that there is no one right way to do this.

A lot of the regulars here seem to be here mostly to proclaim their expert status and ridicule those who don't agree with them.

this is quite easily the tamest forum i've ever been on.

you want to see opinionated people, go to a parenting forum.
  • JPW1990
    Options

I'd put this one somewhere between babycenter and cafemom on a sliding scale.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

LOL *nods*
  • psuLemon
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

I just read in another thread where someone said her doctor prescribed her vitamin D, and listed other drugs and restrictions, so wanted to track it to make sure she's not getting too much. One of the first replies she got was don't bother tracking because the sun exists. That's not trying to get more info, that's making the assumption that the poster AND her doctor are both so ignorant, they set up this entire health plan without that important knowledge that only a random message board poster could enlighten them with.

That's not trying to get all the relevant information or clear up misinformation. It's just hubris, and they're always on the first page of replies.

And that is something that should be reported. We can't stop people from posting stupid responses, but we can enforce the rules.

I suspect it was and was already taken care of because the one vitamin D thread i see on the page doesn't have the kind of response.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

LOL *nods*

Also through in video game or political forums. Heck, the car forums I was on were a lot worse and I am pretty sure this is tame compared to bb.com
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I have read a few questions and response that people have written on here. It's really discouraging as a new user to ask a question or suggest a helpful answer. There are so many people that feel that they have the right answer and everyone else's is wrong. Let's just be helpful not rude as this is supposed to be a helpful source of information. What works or has worked for you does not make it the only way or the right way way for others. It is nice to hear what has worked for others and some people can take from many different ideas to make their own work for them. I hope everyone that uses this wonderful app finds it helpful and encouraging, not opinionated and intimidating.

If someone is asking for help, what other kind of advice would I offer than what has worked for me?

I am certainly opinionated. If someone finds that intimidating, that's their issue, not mine.

I've done hours and hours of reading, and research on weight loss. I feel pretty secure in my knowledge. If someone posts something about starvation mode, or spot reducing or why CICO isn't real, I'm going to speak up - because for every poster here, there are 100 lurkers who are trying to learn new things, too - and it's important that the correct information is out there. With knowledge comes success and I want everyone to be successful.

And it's not a matter of opinion - it's science and physics.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

^^Yep, if you think this place is bad, stay away from forums on.

Parenting
    Religion
    Politics
    Sports
    Gaming
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Psulemon, I do report people who do explicit personal attacks, troll, etc, and yet every single day they're back insulting folks just because they think it's fun. It's the same five or so individuals every time. Nothing seems to be done about the problem regardless of reports.

People are looking for INFORMATION. Not insults, mockery, and playground bully behavior. The existence of boards with ruder people elsewhere is not a justification. People *would* actually learn to be civil if they had any incentive to.
This discussion has been closed.