Please read - 4 week no progress

Options

Replies

• Joncgilliam
    Joncgilliam Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Maybe take a look at your carb or sugar consumption (you can use the my fitness pal reports), and try to scale those back. Sugar can trigger an insulin response that triggers your body to put on fat. I was eating boxed cereal for breakfast, and even though it was a lower-sugar cereal, and when I started checking out my stats, that was a huge amount of sugar and carbs. It was hard to do, because my body was addicted to the morning sugar, but I switched that out for 3 eggs and a can of tuna for breakfast, and that accelerated my fat loss. It took several days before I was no longer craving the cereal though. Note that 3 eggs is more than the recommended allotment, but more recent research on eggs is tending to say they're more healthy than previously thought. I also get a heafty allotment of mercury with the canned tuna, but I try to buy the more expensive ones that are lower (and the research on how bad mercury is for non-pregnant adults is saying that's not as bad as they hype would suggest).
  • grandmamere
    grandmamere Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    acmanna wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    sodium, TOM, ovulation, change-up in exercise, dehydration

- add to the weighing - are you careful with the entries you choose, double checking them, never using other people's 'homemade' versions etc

This.
    Keep going and don't get too down. Are you weighing yourself at the same time, ie, in the morning after you use the bathroom?
    Personal experiences
    TOM can add 5 pounds! (for me at least..)
    If I do some heavy strength training routine, the next day I almost always gain weight..it comes off plus some a day or two later
    Same with being dehydrated...your body will hold onto water if you aren't drinking enough
    and always...your food intake, make sure you are being 100% honest with yourself. Did you weigh everything, did you forget to log something, was there a night out with friends where you guesstimated your food/drink intake?

Keep up the good work, see if there are some small changes you need to make and then see what progress you made at the next weigh in.
    Also take measurements of your body, that will help too for the days that the scale doesn't move!

"acmanna" has I spot on! Follow it. Weigh, measure everything including yourself!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I
    When did you start doing Crossfit? Was it recently?

I have been doing crossfit for 6 months but was a very slow start due to rehabilitating an old lower back injury (no lifting just lots of stretching and mobility). I would say I have only started doing full on crossfit like normal people since the new year which is also when I started to log.

Well then you probably aren't retaining water from starting a new program. I would suggest opening your diary so people can get a better idea of what your daily calorie consumption is.

I have opened it. please be gentle.

Nothing wrong with your food choices. You're logging doesn't look like it's super accurate, though. Some quick adds, missing days/meals, slices, cups, pieces, and it looks like you use some generic entries and other people's recipes. These little inaccuracies could be enough to throw you off. I'd try to really tighten this up and see if you've been off anywhere. I can understand if you don't want to use a food scale (I never have) but they are a very helpful tool, if even just at the beginning to get a better idea of what a certain portion size looks like.

• pscarolina
    pscarolina Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    jimbmc wrote: »
    Why are you lifting?...Do you weigh/log everything? Are you sticking to a 500Cal minimum daily deficit?

Best advice: Stop lifting. Do 30 days of cardio (30 Day Shred is a good place to start), Stick to a Calorie deficit Diet. Eat balanced. Eat every 2-3 hours. (Bfast>Fruit snack>Lunch>Fruitsnack>Dinner>Protein Shake>Snack). Train for 4 days, take one day off. Rinse and repeat.

If you are trying to get a toned athletic look, then you need to reduce your body fat percentage before you start trying to build/improve muscle definition, otherwise your never going to see any real difference. And as for Calorie Burn, 60 mins of Cardio will burn about 1000 calories, whereas 60 mins of intermittent Lifting will burn about 400 Calories. High Intensity Cardio Interval Training is the best way to Burn calories/fat/energy and improve heart/lung function as well as toning muscle.

WHU????
    OP ignore above, continue to lift (retains muscle). I don't know what planet one would burn 1000 calories during cardio, but we're on Earth here.
    Remember, it's normal to retain water during a new exercise program. Also, with the exception of the newbie gains you'll get, one doesn't build muscle in a deficit.

AGREE

Be patient. I didn't see any results on the scale for weeks & was feeling frustrated except I noticed my pants were getting looser & looser. I stopped weighing, but continued to be vigilant about my lifting (was already doing enough cardio since I teach Jazzercise 4x a week) & logging. I suppose I should weigh myself, but I am giving away pants that are now too big for me & my students are asking me how much I've lost. I'd probably be even smaller if I lifted more/heavier.

The new Zumba ads are saying you can burn 1,000 calories in a class, but that's unlikely in the real world & totally dependent on your size, among other things.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I

I have been doing crossfit for 6 months but was a very slow start due to rehabilitating an old lower back injury (no lifting just lots of stretching and mobility). I would say I have only started doing full on crossfit like normal people since the new year which is also when I started to log.

Well then you probably aren't retaining water from starting a new program. I would suggest opening your diary so people can get a better idea of what your daily calorie consumption is.

Nothing wrong with your food choices. You're logging doesn't look like it's super accurate, though. Some quick adds, missing days/meals, slices, cups, pieces, and it looks like you use some generic entries and other people's recipes. These little inaccuracies could be enough to throw you off. I'd try to really tighten this up and see if you've been off anywhere. I can understand if you don't want to use a food scale (I never have) but they are a very helpful tool, if even just at the beginning to get a better idea of what a certain portion size looks like.

This and increase protein.
  • WandaMM1
    WandaMM1 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Look at progress in ways other than a number on the scale. Look at measurements or % of body fat (NOT BMI). For those who lift -- and especially those who lift heavy -- the number on the scale becomes somewhat meaningless. I have friends who would be considered over weight (borderline 'obese') if you only look at the number on the scale relative to weight, gender and height. Both of them have body fat percentages less than 12% (which is pretty darn good for a female). Now, these friends are INTENSE with their training and one is training for a competition. However, the scale says "overweight".

Don't let that one number derail you.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Maybe take a look at your carb or sugar consumption (you can use the my fitness pal reports), and try to scale those back. Sugar can trigger an insulin response that triggers your body to put on fat. I was eating boxed cereal for breakfast, and even though it was a lower-sugar cereal, and when I started checking out my stats, that was a huge amount of sugar and carbs. It was hard to do, because my body was addicted to the morning sugar, but I switched that out for 3 eggs and a can of tuna for breakfast, and that accelerated my fat loss. It took several days before I was no longer craving the cereal though. Note that 3 eggs is more than the recommended allotment, but more recent research on eggs is tending to say they're more healthy than previously thought. I also get a heafty allotment of mercury with the canned tuna, but I try to buy the more expensive ones that are lower (and the research on how bad mercury is for non-pregnant adults is saying that's not as bad as they hype would suggest).

Please also ignore this. If you're having problems feeling hungry all the time and it leads you to overeat, then consider more nutrient dense food that keeps you feeling full longer. If not, continue eating as you like. Sugar intake does not matter.
  • I_Will_End_You
    Options
    I

This and increase protein.

Agree on the protein.

• fattymcfatterson2121
    Options
    I

Thanks for input - the weekend was a bad one as was in and out of hospital and eating what i could. Made a guestimate of calories on sat which I know is a super bad idea and sunday was just bad so was my first day of not logging. Would like to say i have been pretty accurate other than that but you are right about tightening it up and understanding what a cup of sweet potato really looks like etc. Thanks for your help!
  • sftanderson
    Options
    I am new to this fitnesspal thing, and I just want to say ~ I am struggling too. It is so frustrating to see the scale hover around the same number for months. I'm depressed, and honestly, I think the depression and self-loathing is what keeps my weight on. So I'm going to start meditating. Maybe you should try that too? I need a soul detox!!!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

OH here we go......
    pg93mtjdfeig.gif
  • I_Will_End_You
    Options
    I

Thanks for input - the weekend was a bad one as was in and out of hospital and eating what i could. Made a guestimate of calories on sat which I know is a super bad idea and sunday was just bad so was my first day of not logging. Would like to say i have been pretty accurate other than that but you are right about tightening it up and understanding what a cup of sweet potato really looks like etc. Thanks for your help!

And honestly? If you just weighed yourself once and were 2lbs over, maybe try to drink some extra water and weigh yourself again in a couple of days. It could very well be water retention. I find that after a weekend of higher calories, sodium, etc....it sometimes takes a few days for my weight to go back to normal. I know I'm not eating enough to gain that in fat, and not eating too little to lose it....which equals water weight.
  • fattymcfatterson2121
    Options
    I am new to this fitnesspal thing, and I just want to say ~ I am struggling too. It is so frustrating to see the scale hover around the same number for months. I'm depressed, and honestly, I think the depression and self-loathing is what keeps my weight on. So I'm going to start meditating. Maybe you should try that too? I need a soul detox!!!

Don't be sad!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Try count calories. It works. Scale weight is also one of the many ways to tell if you are working towards your goal.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Get the tape measure out, it's probably water weight due to heavy lifting. If you're tracking everything accurately you will have lost fat. Don't get too hung up on the scale especially if you've made a dramatic change in your exercise, gaining water weight for muscle repair is inevitable (for most people) and is not "real" weight. The numbers will begin to drop again don't worry x

edit oooh also try to up your protein if you're lifting so much (although I know this can be hard)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    I have no idea about the science behind losing weight. However, I do know that we should be lifting one another up and motivating each other with our comments/advice. If one gives advice that we do not all agree with, its OK. Redirect them. Let them know In a friendly, and factual manner why the information provided is incorrect. Let's help build up not tear down. On that note, have a blessed day, eat well, workout, live, laugh, and love!

Thank you for sharing your lack of information with the OP.

WIN!

:grinning:
  • spingirl605
    spingirl605 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Good luck OP! I actually feel your pain. I've had little to no progress in months...For me, I know what I need to do now...I am going out today and buying a food scale. It's my last hope.

Also, just to give you hope, I lost 22 pounds doing crossfit after I had my second baby, and was stronger, more defined and in the best shape of my life. I had to stop doing it when I came back to work, the schedule didn't fit with mine and I've noticed a difference (in the opposite direction) since I stopped. Keep at it!!! You will get there!!! CROSSFIT ROCKS!!!
  • fattymcfatterson2121
    Options
    Good luck OP! I actually feel your pain. I've had little to no progress in months...For me, I know what I need to do now...I am going out today and buying a food scale. It's my last hope.

Also, just to give you hope, I lost 22 pounds doing crossfit after I had my second baby, and was stronger, more defined and in the best shape of my life. I had to stop doing it when I came back to work, the schedule didn't fit with mine and I've noticed a difference (in the opposite direction) since I stopped. Keep at it!!! You will get there!!! CROSSFIT ROCKS!!!

Thanks and good luck to you too!

How long did it take you to lose that weight with crossfit? did you have an initial gain or was it a steady decrease?