Body Positive or Promoting an unhealthy lifestyle

Options

Replies

• MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Here's my two cents...

There are many overweight people in this world, and those people need clothes.
    Whether those people like being where they are, or whether they are trying to lose weight, or in some cases gain - doesn't matter. They still need clothes.

Overweight people need clothes.
    Underweight people need clothes.
    Tall people need clothes.
    Short people need clothes.

And as far as I'm concerned - there should be models for ALL OF THOSE PEOPLE.

Because this "article" is pointed at plus-size, I'll use that example, but really - substitute any outlier body type...

Big people need underwear. Big people need bras.
    Big people like to swim - they deserve to have a bathing suit that works for them.
    Big people need to go to work and look professional. Big people like to relax too.
    Big people like to exercise.

Big people shouldn't be relegated to wearing tarps because the current market doesn't "like" the way they look!

As such... yes to plus size models! Make clothes that fit them, that flatter them, that help them feel good about themselves at their current state.

Because as far as I am concerned... many of our issues with food come from using it to medicate our emotional scars. And being dressed in a tarp because noone wants to design for it, is emotionally scarring.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    The modeling industry isn't exactly spot on when it comes to showcasing women of healthy proportions....normally the models are anorexic. This is the same thing. I am not body shaming obese people nor anorexics.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I don't have any problem with her being a model. If someone thinks she will help sell their product, then they will hire her. I personally find her very unattractive (not just the weight) and probably wouldn't be drawn to a product she is advertising, but there are many people who disagree and she would be very effective with them.

I don't believe in fat shaming. People deserve to be treated with respect regardless of what they look like. However, I also don't believe in pretending that morbid obesity is a good thing ...if you are as obese as she is it will almost certainly cause health problems eventually. Nobody should be "happy" to stay at that weight. I'm not saying she should hate herself, or not dress however she likes, or be subject to scorn. But I do think people need to acknowledge that there are major health risks to being that overweight and not pretend that it is as good a lifestyle choice as any other.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    MireyGal76 wrote: »

Big people shouldn't be relegated to wearing tarps because the current market doesn't "like" the way they look!

Or America could follow other country leads and make it hard to find clothes above a size 14 or 16. That way, people might be a bit more motivated to lose weight, if they actually had to wear tarps because they are too big.

I don't think it's ok to give the message that you can be morbidly obese like that woman and that it's ok. It's just not ok. And no, I don't like skinny models either, but at least they are 20-30 pounds from a normal weight... not 200+.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Well at least she's actually plus size. I keep seeing women smaller than me (I'm size 6) as models for size 14+ stores and it pisses me off.

Personally? I'd go shop at that store.

That being said, I think there's a very fine line between being 'happy with your body no matter what' and denial.

This!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    She's modeling clothing, clothing meant for women similar to her. Her lifestyle and health have nothing to do with it. It's refreshing because now women of her body type (and there are a lot) have a better idea of what clothing will look like on them.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    She's modeling clothing, clothing meant for women similar to her. Her lifestyle and health have nothing to do with anything. It's refreshing because now women of her body type (and there are a lot) have a better idea of what clothing will look like on them.

+1
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    KnM0107 wrote: »
    I am 5'6" and at my heaviest weight I was a size 24. She can do what she wants with her body. I won't rally behind her because I have been there and the extra weight on the joints and fat around the organs is not healthy. I have seen too many people hide behind body positivity because of their own denial. Body positivity and fat acceptance are slippery slopes imo.

I agree. I'm 6' and was 307 and a 24 at my highest. After losing 40 some pounds I'm still obese. I struggled with the decision to start losing weight because I had spent so much time trying to love myself regardless of my weight that it felt like a betrayal to myself to admit I needed to lose weight.

I'm closer to being to terms with it, and I'm learning that loving myself and being comfortable in my own skin go hand and hand with getting fit. I can still think I'm an attractive person, and still love my body, while I'm overweight, but I get how it's a hard line.
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    JayRuby84 wrote: »
    The modeling industry isn't exactly spot on when it comes to showcasing women of healthy proportions....normally the models are anorexic. This is the same thing. I am not body shaming obese people nor anorexics.

This!

This whole controversy is not very different from the massive debate that happened a few years back (what was it? 2006?) when two models in Spain died from an eating disorder and subsequently Size 0 models were banned in certain countries.

In the end, this is really the same issue, just at the other end of the scale. With the possible advantage that it will help some girls feel better in their skin, which is obviously a positive thing. That said, I agree with the comments on the fine line between being happy and in denial.
  • GingerbreadCandy
    edited January 2015
    Options
    On the other hand, as someone who has done nude drawings a lot, with people of various sizes, I do agree with the notion that beauty is not a size. Unfortunately beauty does not equal healthy (which also applies at all sizes)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    She's modeling clothing, clothing meant for women similar to her. Her lifestyle and health have nothing to do with it. It's refreshing because now women of her body type (and there are a lot) have a better idea of what clothing will look like on them.

I don't know how to say this without sounding extremely rude, but do they really need to see a model their size to know what clothing will look on them? I'm sorry but I wasn't anywhere near that size and I could already tell you that NOTHING looked good on me, because I had too much fat.
    On the other hand, as someone who has done nude drawings a lot, with people of various sizes, I do agree with the notion that beauty is not a size. Unfortunately beauty does not equal healthy (which also applies at all sizes)

To an extent, IMO.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    Any time people see a behavior or condition that was previously viewed as a negative becoming more mainstream, more accepted, it lowers the incentive for people who do that behavior or have that condition to change (which can be good or bad, depending).

The point is I don't think one model--or even multiple models--makes much difference. A majority of the US is apparently now overweight, and yet when I was overweight (and certainly when I was obese) it never felt like something acceptable or desirable, because of the overall societal message (which is not primarily from models--I never had any interest or expectation in looking like a model or actress). Obviously we are in no grave danger of teen girls deciding that it's desirable to be a size 24. When people claim that as an excuse to slam someone who is simply saying she's happy with her own size, it seems to me that something else is going on, since the world I live in does not tell us that it's cool to be a 24 (or anywhere near that).

In any event, I don't think models are so much of an influence as people like to claim. Normal people don't care that much what models look like. People are influenced by the people in their life and who they actually know or interact with, as well as their internal ideas about themselves. I was super insecure as a teen and thought I was fat when I wasn't (I was about what I am now or thinner) and self-conscious about my body (and was embarrassed about all kind of other things about myself), but that wasn't about models, who I never compared myself with, but about the fact that I was insecure and filled with self-judgment and self-hatred for other reasons. Now I still know I've got way more body fat than a model, and am also happy with my body and comfortable with myself (while wanting to improve it my body still, to reach fitness goals mainly). Again comparing myself with models isn't the issue (and nor does being happy with your body mean that you don't want to improve it).

Broader point is that people are usually more able to make healthy changes when they have a more positive self-image. Becoming more confident as an adult, even when fat, certainly made me more able to lose weight, as well as more able to be a happy fat person.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I think modeling as a career is meant to sell the clothes. So if their market is ~size 22 people, she's the perfect person to pick. If their market is ~size 6 people, they need to pick a size 6. I think having a plus size model like her is a means to an end and people shouldn't read into it any more than that. I know they DO read into it. But they really shouldn't. People of that size exist. Even if you're trying to lose weight, you'll still be a 22 at some point. Law DOES require us to wear clothes, so yes, clothes for size 22 should be advertised as much as any other size.

And as a comment to this quote above, "I don't know how to say this without sounding extremely rude, but do they really need to see a model their size to know what clothing will look on them? I'm sorry but I wasn't anywhere near that size and I could already tell you that NOTHING looked good on me, because I had too much fat."

There is no reason to not look the best you can if you're wearing something flattering if that's what you want to do or care about. At my different weights, I definitely learned about different cuts/styles that worked at some times and not at others. And especially if your interest is fashion (which it can be no matter your size), you should be able to use pictures to help you make your decisions and streamline the process. This is one reason why models exist.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

I don't know how to say this without sounding extremely rude, but do they really need to see a model their size to know what clothing will look on them? I'm sorry but I wasn't anywhere near that size and I could already tell you that NOTHING looked good on me, because I had too much fat.

I'm not fat and would like to see what clothing would look like on a woman more similar to me than most models are.

It's appears that you had some issues accepting yourself at a heavier weight. I do not agree that NOTHING looks good on overweight/obese women. I think that model is very pretty. Finding clothing you like and are confident in should be possible at any size. You don't just have to give up on style because you are heavy. And to address your earlier point, making plus size clothing ugly and hard to find will NOT motivate most people to lose weight. It just won't. Shame and negative reinforcement just doesn't work. It doesn't work for children and it doesn't work for obese people.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I find it sad and a little disturbing that anyone would look to a model of any size as promting a lifestyle. They are there to sell something.

Agreed. Models are selling product, not lifestyle or even health. Unless, of course, they're a fitness model.

Even then, physical appearance isn't always a good indicator of health. I have no idea how healthy she is, just like I have no idea how healthy the average 5'10" size 0 model is. I think she's beautiful, but it really doesn't matter. It only matters (to the advertiser) that they have gotten my attention.

I do think it's nice to see different bodies represented in the media. As well as different ages, etc.
  • GingerbreadCandy
    edited January 2015
    Options

To an extent, IMO.

Well, it is obviously subjective, but a good artist or photographer will generally be able to capture beauty in just about anything and anyone. Lightning, framing and concept will play a massive role in it, of course. So I do believe it is possible to find beauty at any size, although I wouldn't find people of every size beautiful.

That was my thought process when I wrote that, anyhow. :smile:
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I don't have an issue so much with her as a model. Bigger people need clothes too and I hate seeing a size six model modeling for plus sized only lines. What I do have an issue with is her trying to convince the world that she (and others) can be healthy with that much body fat. If people want to be fat, that's fine, more power to them. But they have to understand the risks that come with it. And I think it's irresponsible to tell younger people that being over weight is healthy.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Who cares? Mind your own business!

I am not in the "fat acceptance" crowd, but I mean really - why do people care so damn much about what other people do/look like? If a girl/guy wants to be fat - let them!
  • GingerbreadCandy
    Options
    Completely unrelated – while I couldn't care less about the model herself, the people in the comments are making me cry.
  • bingo_jenn
    bingo_jenn Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I follow some #curvyyoga posts on instagram. I'm amazed that women as large as they are can contort themselves into poses that I can only dream of doing right now. I told my boyfriend that for some reason I felt uncomfortable with it, but wasn't sure why. I think it's my own insecurity that I wouldn't want to be that fat, not that they are fat. A lot of the girls are either in the midst of their weight loss journey, happy with where they are, or have other issues that are causing the higher weight. I'm proud of them for being proud of who they are and what they can do.
This discussion has been closed.