Body Positive or Promoting an unhealthy lifestyle

Options

Replies

• WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    LOL @ the effyourbeautystandards crap. The only beauty standard she is "effing" is morbid obesity. She goes out of her way to conform to every other beauty standard out there with her hair, nails, poses. And what clothes does she sell? Most of the pictures I've seen of her she is wearing as little as possible. She appeals to fat fetishists and delusional obese females.

Fat is not inert.
  • dragonmaster69
    dragonmaster69 Posts: 131 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Oh yes, and did some of you actually read the article? It says that she works with a personal trainer 4 times a week. I haven't seen any comments acknowledging that so far.
  • JennaAdrian
    Options
    This story reminds me of the TV show, "My Big Fat Fabulous Life". The gal has a disorder that makes her obese, however she's trying to lose the weight... I think it's great that both gals are comfortable in there own skin, but for their own health care, I'm happy they are also working out!
  • homemademama
    homemademama Posts: 199 Member
    Options

Lauren5280 wrote: »
    I think it is promoting an unhealthy lifestyle. Let's face it we're all here to get healthy/fit, etc. This is contrary to what we're all trying to accomplish. You can love who you are without deciding it is okay to remain morbidly obese. We're all here striving to do better, be better.... I think we can all agree it is the right course to take. I would like to see this girl make the same effort.

I'm here to get healthier - more energy, decreased anxiety, stronger body. I am *not* here to become more beautiful. I'm already effing adorable :smile:

She is there as a sign of beauty at any size. You can argue with her health if you want to, but this should be seperate from your assessment of her ability to be seen as beautiful.

I think she's gorgeous.
  • kissa714
    kissa714 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    as if there aren't skinny models/celebs/people who starve themselves and take pills and *kitten* to stay thin. talk about unhealthy physically and (especially) mentally. the hypocrisy is crazy.
  • anarchysbitch
    anarchysbitch Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have followed Tess Munster for a couple of years, she is *kitten* gorgeous!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    The fact is that there are plenty of women her size. Those women buy clothes and beauty products. The purpose of a model is to sell clothes and beauty products. It is difficult to sell clothes to someone without showing them what the clothing might look like on them. This is less about "acceptance" and "beauty standards" than it is simple commerce.
  • dragonmaster69
    dragonmaster69 Posts: 131 Member
    Options

I'm already effing adorable :smile:
    ^^^
    I was just telling my boyfriend that I'm pretty damn proud of myself for never having low self-esteem considering I've been fat my entire life. The only thing I have a problem with is my nose when I catch a profile from pictures or a glance in the mirror, but even then, it's not that big a deal for me.

And I'm all about that "effyourbeautystandards" thing. I don't want anymore grief about not shaving!
  • SarahxApple
    SarahxApple Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I should have stated in my original post, that I am not trying to say in any way that she shouldn't have self esteem or she should be ashamed. I am trying to highlight that she is POSSIBLY unhealthy or at least people who are this much overweight are sometimes not very healthy. I believe I am far from a fat shamer but like some other posters here, I think anything on either extreme (underweight or overweight) is not always promoting a healthy lifestyle.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    MireyGal76 wrote: »

Big people shouldn't be relegated to wearing tarps because the current market doesn't "like" the way they look!

Or America could follow other country leads and make it hard to find clothes above a size 14 or 16. That way, people might be a bit more motivated to lose weight, if they actually had to wear tarps because they are too big.

I don't think it's ok to give the message that you can be morbidly obese like that woman and that it's ok. It's just not ok. And no, I don't like skinny models either, but at least they are 20-30 pounds from a normal weight... not 200+.

well i guess i better get down to millets and buy a tent then.
    i dont need motivation from being forced to dress like im a freak. ive lost 165lb and still dont fit under your size catagory

why dont i deserve to dress nicely and comfortably? why should i be singled out because im bigger?

i gained weight as a combo of health problems and being attacked when younger so i gained as a protection. im losing now for my health but ill damn well dress nicely and hold my head up high while i work my way down the scale

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Big people shouldn't be relegated to wearing tarps because the current market doesn't "like" the way they look!

Or America could follow other country leads and make it hard to find clothes above a size 14 or 16. That way, people might be a bit more motivated to lose weight, if they actually had to wear tarps because they are too big.

I don't think it's ok to give the message that you can be morbidly obese like that woman and that it's ok. It's just not ok. And no, I don't like skinny models either, but at least they are 20-30 pounds from a normal weight... not 200+.

i dont need motivation from being forced to dress like im a freak. ive lost 165lb and still dont fit under your size catagory

why dont i deserve to dress nicely and comfortably? why should i be singled out because im bigger?

i gained weight as a combo of health problems and being attacked when younger so i gained as a protection. im losing now for my health but ill damn well dress nicely and hold my head up high while i work my way down the scale

What countries are forcing fat women to wear tarps. In all my travels, I've never been there.
    Could I get a list? Or is this just fanciful victimhood?

Stores have what sells. Or what didn't sell and got left over.

And markets follow trends of need to a large extent. Size is just that.

Even in "skinny" Paris there a lots of shops for "grande tailles" (large sizes) - these might start a bit smaller than in the US but they are there. And everyone, sometimes, has a hard time finding their size. Personally had to go to 12 shops to finding my running shoes in my size, but I'm not being a victim of sizing popularity.

If one is in the upper/lower ranges in weight, height, shoe size and have difficulty finding articles to wear boo hoo, that is just the way it is. One deals with it, at least with weight, you may choose to do something about it. If not, mail order and specialty stores abound. Do what you will, but designers are not obligated to make all sizes.

Now there are awful people attacking this women or making terrible disparaging remarks about her and others, they deserve a quick throat punch/golf club/cat poop in their coffee.

• zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Some people will find her attractive, some people won't. It's life, it is what it is

I couldn't care less about whether or not she is considered attractive, and quite frankly, neither should she. What she should care about, however, is that she is morbidly obese and at a huge risk of several fatal medical conditions unless she does something about it.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options

What countries are forcing fat women to wear tarps. In all my travels, I've never been there.

Even in "skinny" Paris there a lots of shops for "grande tailles" (large sizes) - these might start a bit smaller than in the US but they are there. And everyone, sometimes, has a hard time finding their size. Personally had to go to 12 shops to finding my running shoes in my size, but I'm not being a victim of sizing popularity.

If one is in the upper/lower ranges in weight, height, shoe size and have difficulty finding articles to wear boo hoo, that is just the way it is. One deals with it, at least with weight, you may choose to do something about it. If not, mail order and specialty stores abound. Do what you will, but designers are not obligated to make all sizes.

Now there are awful people attacking this women or making terrible disparaging remarks about her and others, they deserve a quick throat punch/golf club/cat poop in their coffee.

i was answering the woman who said maybe they should make it harder to get clothes in bigger sizes and that if we were made to wear tarps maybe we would be motivated to lose weight, geez

want a list of those countrys then please ask her

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    The fact is that there are plenty of women her size. Those women buy clothes and beauty products. The purpose of a model is to sell clothes and beauty products. It is difficult to sell clothes to someone without showing them what the clothing might look like on them. This is less about "acceptance" and "beauty standards" than it is simple commerce.

Unfortunately, I think that's flipped a little bit. It's easier to sell women clothes that will be absolutely fugly on them by putting them in the catalog or on the website on a size 8 model. I'm curious to see if this has an impact on how those clothes are being designed, especially now that all the different brands are being bought up by one company. If I had to guess, though, probably half the Catherine's/LB current catalog would look like crap on her, just like it would on anyone larger than a 12.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    edited January 2015
    Options

i was answering the woman who said maybe they should make it harder to get clothes in bigger sizes and that if we were made to wear tarps maybe we would be motivated to lose weight, geez

want a list of those countrys then please ask her

I quoted you, but the question remains for her. Or you, if you believe her post.
    But if you don't believe her post - do you think you are being singled out by stores?

Of my daughters - I have one that is overweight and another that is on the skinnier than average side. They will each swear that the other has an easier time finding clothes - whenever I go with them it's pretty much the same difficulty. Perception is a funny thing.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

China I believe?
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options

China I believe?

Alright, but if we start comparing Asian sizes to Western sizes it is a sure-fire way to get everyone on this forum depressed. :stuck_out_tongue:

That said, Japan did sort of "forbid" waistlines over a certain measure. I can't find any source with more reliability than just rumours though, so I don't know the details.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Be "Body Positive" as much as you want...while filling up that insulin needle and testing your blood glucose.

At some point, the denial borders on delusional, that being fat is fine.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

China I believe?

BS.

My mother (now gone) lived there (Shanghai) for 3 years - she was then a little overweight.

She needed a bra - so she drew a bra and her chauffeur took her where these things are bought. The sales lady showed her a couple of models but they were too small. So my mother went with the sign language to show it was for her and she wanted them BIG. Like her boobs. Giggling ensued.

The sales lady left and called another sales lady and then the owner. Not because they were going to get her the right size - just to have a good laugh. Because they didn't have her size. My mom found it hilarious.

I was there again last year - no tarps to be seen.

• EvgeniZyntx
    Options

China I believe?

Alright, but if we start comparing Asian sizes to Western sizes it is a sure-fire way to get everyone on this forum depressed. :stuck_out_tongue:

That said, Japan did sort of "forbid" waistlines over a certain measure. I can't find any source with more reliability than just rumours though, so I don't know the details.

Was this the all powerful Ministry of Waistlines and Foot Binding?
    Again, no. No tarps there for the obese.
This discussion has been closed.