Body Positive or Promoting an unhealthy lifestyle

Options

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    What always gets me is the assumption that being big = unhealthy lifestyle and being slim = healthy lifestyle. Not really the case. It is possible to be overweight and still be healthy. It is possible to be slim and be unhealthy.

if you're 100 pounds overweight, how could you possibly have a healthy lifestyle?

http://healthland.time.com/2012/09/05/can-you-be-fat-and-fit-or-thin-and-unhealthy/

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I see this thread has now degenerated into a debate on how obese people really are just as healthy as the non obese...

LOL interesting...
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I see this thread has now degenerated into a debate on how obese people really are just as healthy as the non obese...

LOL interesting...

this thread has taught me that all fat people are automatically hideous subhumans

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

LOL interesting...

Yeah not as funny as the thread that vanish recently.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

LOL interesting...

yea, the 700 calorie deficit one????
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

LOL interesting...

yea, the 700 calorie deficit one????

Yeah I had fun with that. I think that is how @MrM27‌ used to have fun with my misinform self.

• silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I'd love to see more plus-sized models. It's hard to tell how clothing will look on me when it's only modeled by size 0 women. Do the clothes look good because they're nice clothes, or because she's so skinny? I'm sure the advertisers sell more clothes when they hang it on a very thin woman, so it's really just a marketing decision.

Women of all shapes and sizes deserve to have clothing that fits properly and is flattering.

I think it's been mentioned before, but the typical size 0 model promotes a very unhealthy lifestyle of constant dieting and food restriction; sadly, that's seen by some as normal. Personally I'd rather see "most" models at size 8 - 12 US.

I don't think we need to make a moral issue out of it.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

LOL interesting...

not one person is saying that.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »

The "fat" are "pitiable"?
    Really, you went there?

Read the whole conversation. I am among this pitiable group that needs a self-esteem boost so is being encouraged to boast about qualities I do not possess.

So only the fat that don't have self esteem are pitiable?
    And it's ok to call them that if you belong to them. Got it.

You don't 'get' anything. You clearly aren't following along and don't understand what my argument even was.

• Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Go to any water park or beach on a given day and you can see a lot of very heavy people wearing clothes that show you too much flesh, just like the model that is the subject of this thread. Should they all be offered modeling contracts?
  • TinaGA2015
    TinaGA2015 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I think she is beautiful
  • cobygrey
    cobygrey Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    socunpato wrote: »
    She's beautiful, and you don't know anything about her lifestyle.
    In my opinion it's not promoting anything unhealthy, it's just giving bigger girls representation. Being fat doesn't mean you have to hate yourself.

You are correct
  • cobygrey
    cobygrey Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    What always gets me is the assumption that being big = unhealthy lifestyle and being slim = healthy lifestyle. Not really the case. It is possible to be overweight and still be healthy. It is possible to be slim and be unhealthy.

yep
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    her body is not beautiful. She has a nice very heavily made up face.
  • Zaftique
    Zaftique Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    My god, I want her hair. o_O And her chin! I'm several sizes smaller than her, yet I have the most frustrating double chin that will not go away, HOW DOES SHE DO..

Face tattoos (both tats of faces and tats on the face) aren't my cup of tea, but confidence is always sexy. ;D
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I see medically unhealthy. Nothing more nothing less.

I'm realistic.
    She is gorgeous and looks beautiful but that means nothing to me.

My world revolves around whatever lifestyle she is leading how's her yearly blood work.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Zaftique wrote: »
    My god, I want her hair. o_O And her chin! I'm several sizes smaller than her, yet I have the most frustrating double chin that will not go away, HOW DOES SHE DO..

Face tattoos (both tats of faces and tats on the face) aren't my cup of tea, but confidence is always sexy. ;D

One "trick" is to stick your head forward towards the camera. I read an article about how to take a good portrait photo, and after years of thinking I was unphotogenic I can reliably get a great photo.
  • Superlissaanne
    Superlissaanne Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I think that the clothing and modeling industry has largely ignored women of a larger size. I think that this is good because it will increase awareness that people come in all sizes. There are large women (like me) that are doing something about our weight, but we still need to buy clothing in our current size, and still need to see women in the catalogs and websites that are similar to us. Do you know how hard it is to buy something online that is a size 20, but is modeled on a size 6? Its impossible to know how it will fit on a woman of that size.
  • Superlissaanne
    Superlissaanne Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    like I know a girl who wont wear shorts or swimwear, even in a humid midwestern summer, because she is fat. So she just sweats and suffers all summer long. That is no way to live! A little self esteem would go a long way in her case.

When you carry weight in your legs, there is often cellulite and other bumps that are hidden by longer pants. You can still tell that there is weight there, but you don't have to show the cellulite, bumps, spider veins, and other discoloration that often comes with carrying weight in your legs. People tend to look at my legs less when I wear pants vs when I wear shorts.
This discussion has been closed.