Body Positive or Promoting an unhealthy lifestyle

Options

Replies

• Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »

hmmmm, tattoos and piercings seem like a stupid thing to have an acceptance movement for. those are clearly a choice.

Yes, the best choice I've ever made for my loved, unhealthy, subhuman, FAT legs.

a72eehy53evr.jpg

It was my choice to ink my body permanently, but it is not my choice that some people have judgements on tattoos. Would I like an acceptance movement? HELL YEAH.
    Just because I am fat and have tattoos, doesn't mean I should be treated with any less respect than the "average" person gets.

uh okay, i'll mostly silently judge you for the tattoos irl. we cool?

it was a joke people! what's with the flags?
  • dragonmaster69
    dragonmaster69 Posts: 131 Member
    Options

hmmmm, tattoos and piercings seem like a stupid thing to have an acceptance movement for. those are clearly a choice.

Yes, the best choice I've ever made for my loved, unhealthy, subhuman, FAT legs.

a72eehy53evr.jpg

It was my choice to ink my body permanently, but it is not my choice that some people have judgements on tattoos. Would I like an acceptance movement? HELL YEAH.
    Just because I am fat and have tattoos, doesn't mean I should be treated with any less respect than the "average" person gets.

uh okay, i'll mostly silently judge you for the tattoos irl. we cool?

it was a joke people! what's with the flags?

I'm a very compassionate, forgiving person and though I don't agree with a lot of the things you've said on this thread, I know you're still entitled to your opinion or thoughts or what have you. And I make silent judgements on people ALL THE TIME, but if they're hurtful or harsh I back my thoughts up a second and decide if those are thoughts society has pushed onto me, or thoughts of my own making.

Maybe you should open your mind and heart up a bit though, because negative thoughts can eat away at a person over time. I've spent a lot of money and time on my tattoos and I feel like they're an extended part of me that people can learn from without talking to me.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    Lourdesong wrote: »

The "fat" are "pitiable"?
    Really, you went there?

Read the whole conversation. I am among this pitiable group that needs a self-esteem boost so is being encouraged to boast about qualities I do not possess.

So only the fat that don't have self esteem are pitiable?
    And it's ok to call them that if you belong to them. Got it.

You don't 'get' anything. You clearly aren't following along and don't understand what my argument even was.

I did misread you as it becomes clearer downstream. Apologies for that.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    edited January 2015
    Options
    CipherZero wrote: »
    As per my picture:

Try to understand: When we became more educated and focused on ourselves, our lives became better. We got more discipline, we became more energetic, happier, and just felt awesome.

We want to share this feeling with everyone else. We want everybody to make it. It's a wonderful journey of self-worth that everyone can partake in.

When people insult the obese, undermine their self worth it attacks the message that everyone should be the best person they can be and love themselves. It attacks the essence of self-improvement, responsibility, and maturity - and I cannot agree with that.

It's not about someone being fat or not, it's about anyone judging a health level just on looks and not as people who evolve over time. It's about pointing out that carrying a false judgment that someone obese must be labelled by sloth, gluttony, and excuses is only hurtful, counter-productive when it's none of your business.

If you cannot understand why this is bad, there's nothing more to talk about.

Fify.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    Just like other advertising, a company will find a niche that will appeal to certain people or groups to make a profit. Piercings, tattoos, skateboarding, skydivers, NFL football, competitive bodybuilders, etc. all have "models" that may not appeal to many, but will to the few that admire or embrace that lifestyle.
    Whether some like it or not, I don't believe it's a promotion of an unhealthy lifestyle. Shoot, people do that a lot on their own without being overweight. High stress, unbalanced eating, risk behavior (smoking, hard drugs), etc., are also part of an unhealthy lifestyle for many.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Meet Cheryl:

7385995.jpg

By any standard - BMI or circumference, etc she's probably in the obese class.
    She's also an Olympian and healthy.

Are you her doctor, or how do you know that she is healthy? Most weightlifters are anything but healthy, especially in the heavyweights.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    edited January 2015
    Options
    zipa78 wrote: »
    Meet Cheryl:

By any standard - BMI or circumference, etc she's probably in the obese class.
    She's also an Olympian and healthy.

Are you her doctor, or how do you know that she is healthy? Most weightlifters are anything but healthy, especially in the heavyweights.

Are you basing this on the common use of PEDs or something else?

Not only is she fit enough to win a bronze medal at the Olympics but she gave her own health info in interviews during her career. It was part of the whole "I'm ok and happy" response to a lot of criticism. You can decide that she's lying, if you like.

• EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    What if research showed that in reality there is a spectrum of obese people. There are those that are metabolically normal (with health markers that show healthy results) and those that are unhealthy? What appears to happens when Metabolically Normal Obese people gain weight?

http://www.jci.org/articles/view/78425?key=3714880b02fefb032b19

Obesity is a dice throw, one that I chose to avoid as much as I can, however it isn't necessarily the instant 'unhealthy' some throw out. I'm find myself just as often shaking my head at "can I lose weight without exercise" crowd - inactivity, loss of LBM are also strong (if not stronger, I'm not fully convinced either way) risk indicators.

Just trying to avoid the black/white thinking on the subject.

• corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I've seen so many people's lists of reasons to lose weight where every single one of them is a reiteration of 'society says I suck because I'm big' and it's sad. Some of these people would be big and content with it without all the pressure, and that's not a problem. Some people would also be active if it weren't for the stares they would get as a big person being active. The important thing is they would be happier.

The only things I see being promoted here are sanity and clothes, plus maybe getting a trainer. She's got one, after all.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    What if research showed that in reality there is a spectrum of obese people. There are those that are metabolically normal (with health markers that show healthy results) and those that are unhealthy? What appears to happens when Metabolically Normal Obese people gain weight?

Obesity is a dice throw, one that I chose to avoid as much as I can, however it isn't necessarily the instant 'unhealthy' some throw out. I'm find myself just as often shaking my head at "can I lose weight without exercise" crowd - inactivity, loss of LBM are also strong (if not stronger, I'm not fully convinced either way) risk indicators.

Look at it this way. There are plenty smokers who never get lung cancer or other issues related to smoking in their lives. That doesn't change the fact though that the chance of contracting any of those is several times higher if you are a smoker. And no one in their right minds would say smokers are healthy, because increasing your health risks several times just isn't. The same goes for obesity, the list of health risks you increase by being obese is just too big to say they're healthy. You can't look at them and immediately tell if they got any health problems at the time, but you can look at them and immediately tell that they greatly increase the RISK of getting health problems down the line.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Look at it this way. There are plenty smokers who never get lung cancer or other issues related to smoking in their lives. That doesn't change the fact though that the chance of contracting any of those is several times higher if you are a smoker. And no one in their right minds would say smokers are healthy, because increasing your health risks several times just isn't. The same goes for obesity, the list of health risks you increase by being obese is just too big to say they're healthy. You can't look at them and immediately tell if they got any health problems at the time, but you can look at them and immediately tell that they greatly increase the RISK of getting health problems down the line.

This. Plus the extra pressure on your joints, on your heart, etc etc.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    CipherZero wrote: »
    As per my picture:

When people insult the obese..,.

Fify.

If I'd meant insult I would have written insult. If you're going to insist on rewriting my words to mean what you think it means, at least be honest about it.
    The fact is everyone judges everyone else. To fail to recognize it - or somehow think anyone is above it - it a failure to recognize reality.
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Fat chicks used to be worshipped, fwiw.

k7vvr126wo4s.jpg
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If you know anything about Tess, you would know she works out regularly, lifts weights and eats a well balanced diet set by her nutritionist and doctors advice.

We also have doctors who continue to do ridiculous plastic surgeries. I find it hard to believe she is getting good advice from a doctor or a nutritionist. Are they trying to maintain her weight? Doctors have an obligation to do what is right, and what is best for the patient. Maintaining her weight is not in her best interest. And let's be real, she is not overweight she is morbidly obese.

My quotiing skills are just embarassing at this point
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    DeWoSa wrote: »

k7vvr126wo4s.jpg

Ha, she's all booty...
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    DeWoSa wrote: »

k7vvr126wo4s.jpg

Ha, she's all booty...

Paleo diet!
  • Joe_Buck69
    Joe_Buck69 Posts: 20 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

a72eehy53evr.jpg

Forgive my detectiveness, but I have to ask.

The tattoo on your left leg above appears to be on your right leg in your profile pic.

Did you do a flip-horizontal in Photoshop or something? :smile:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

Agreed.

Smoking isn't healthy, obesity isn't healthy. Strong general statements.

BUT

But a smoker may be healthy and an obese person may be healthy.

You can't look at a person and judge their physical health based on the fact that they smoke. There are healthy people that confound the risk numbers - it's why people like me do science (or in my case, did) - we try to investigate beyond correlative risks to actual causal relationships.

Saying person xxx is unhealthy because the are obese is a bias judgment when in fact their metabolism may be operationally as good as a non-obese persons. I've posted studies on this here - not one has been refuted.

• SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If you know anything about Tess, you would know she works out regularly, lifts weights and eats a well balanced diet set by her nutritionist and doctors advice.

We also have doctors who continue to do ridiculous plastic surgeries. I find it hard to believe she is getting good advice from a doctor or a nutritionist. Are they trying to maintain her weight? Doctors have an obligation to do what is right, and what is best for the patient. Maintaining her weight is not in her best interest. And let's be real, she is not overweight she is morbidly obese.

My quotiing skills are just embarassing at this point

Quoting 101:

There needs to be a [ quote ] before the text you are quoting and a [ /quote ] after the text you are quoting (no spaces). Sometime the before quote will have a user name in it like [ quote = "SingRunTing;########" ] to add the name of the person you are quoting, but it will still work without it. It looks like above you just needed to add the [ /quote ] and it would have worked.
This discussion has been closed.