Body Positive or Promoting an unhealthy lifestyle

Options

Replies

• Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    i love her, and i think she is gorgeous.

But I don't think the modeling agency got her because they want her to display clothing for the larger crowd...

I think they got her for exactly what we've given them and her, publicity.

Now they have their token gorgeous fat girl.

Also the eff your beauty standards campaign is not just for overweight people. Its motivation for people to brush off and try not to care about what society deems attractive.

If you go to that hash tag on instagram you'll see a lot of different looking people....yes mostly overweight and or obese people, but there are also thin different looking people, people with tattoos, people with piercings, women with body hair....i think the aim is for more than just weight acceptance, it's mostly going that way because we have a lot of overweight people that need more self love and confidence to get through their day because they have lived their whole life with fat shaming.

This is a super multifaceted topic, and it's interesting to read everyone's take on it.

hmmmm, tattoos and piercings seem like a stupid thing to have an acceptance movement for. those are clearly a choice.

well of course, but when people get them, you automatically become "alternative" (kinda, not so much anymore). And alternative isn't necessarily what society deems attractive, so people want to be accepted for that.

The tattoos and piercing things is pretty silly, but that's sort of the way of thought in those communities.....

"Accept me even though i'm heavily tattooed!!!" "Business people can have tattoos!!!" "I'm not a delinquent because i'm pierced up!!!" ----that sort of thing.

Anyways, the campaign was built to give confidence to anyone that is "different".

meh, everyone gets judged by their actions. this really just seems silly to me. if you need an acceptance movement for tattoos and you really truly care that society accepts you for who you are, don't get the dumb tattoos.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

But I don't think the modeling agency got her because they want her to display clothing for the larger crowd...

Also the eff your beauty standards campaign is not just for overweight people. Its motivation for people to brush off and try not to care about what society deems attractive.

If you go to that hash tag on instagram you'll see a lot of different looking people....yes mostly overweight and or obese people, but there are also thin different looking people, people with tattoos, people with piercings, women with body hair....i think the aim is for more than just weight acceptance, it's mostly going that way because we have a lot of overweight people that need more self love and confidence to get through their day because they have lived their whole life with fat shaming.

This is a super multifaceted topic, and it's interesting to read everyone's take on it.

hmmmm, tattoos and piercings seem like a stupid thing to have an acceptance movement for. those are clearly a choice.

hairstyles aren't a choice? body hair isn't a choice? weight isn't a choice?

In the grand scheme of things, many (if not all) of the items in the movement are choices. And the whole idea of "acceptance" is to say that "I" still have value even if "you" do not agree with my choices.

Beauty is not about body. A person's worth, their inherent beauty, is so much more than the skin sack they occupy. When we only accept a person as "beautiful" who fits into our acceptable mold, then we are the ones who are wrong. Not them.

I have my own personal preferences as to what attracts me, to what appeals to me. But I will not say someone is not worthy of being respected if they don't fit that mold. I was never physically fat. EVER. But I was mentally fat. And I struggled with esteem issues (still do).. But more than anything, I am learning to love myself. And with that, I am finding it extends to all people a lot more readily.

Sorry, I digress.
  • Aviva92
    edited January 2015
    Options
    MireyGal76 wrote: »

In the grand scheme of things, many (if not all) of the items in the movement are choices. And the whole idea of "acceptance" is to say that "I" still have value even if "you" do not agree with my choices.

Beauty is not about body. A person's worth, their inherent beauty, is so much more than the skin sack they occupy. When we only accept a person as "beautiful" who fits into our acceptable mold, then we are the ones who are wrong. Not them.

I have my own personal preferences as to what attracts me, to what appeals to me. But I will not say someone is not worthy of being respected if they don't fit that mold. I was never physically fat. EVER. But I was mentally fat. And I struggled with esteem issues (still do).. But more than anything, I am learning to love myself. And with that, I am finding it extends to all people a lot more readily.

Sorry, I digress.

sure, what you eat is a choice, but it's much harder to get thin than to not get a tattoo. different levels of judging. i'll judge overweight people too, just not as harshly as the tattoo people. tattoos are stupid.

will judge those who choose not to remove body hair too. women with hairy legs are gross.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options

well of course, but when people get them, you automatically become "alternative" (kinda, not so much anymore). And alternative isn't necessarily what society deems attractive, so people want to be accepted for that.

The tattoos and piercing things is pretty silly, but that's sort of the way of thought in those communities.....

"Accept me even though i'm heavily tattooed!!!" "Business people can have tattoos!!!" "I'm not a delinquent because i'm pierced up!!!" ----that sort of thing.

Anyways, the campaign was built to give confidence to anyone that is "different".

meh, everyone gets judged by their actions. this really just seems silly to me. if you need an acceptance movement for tattoos and you really truly care that society accepts you for who you are, don't get the dumb tattoos.

well i think it's more of, you need to just accept people as they are not not judge on appearances, because that generally doesn't give you a good idea of what a person is about.
  • Aviva92
    Options

well i think it's more of, you need to just accept people as they are not not judge on appearances, because that generally doesn't give you a good idea of what a person is about.

if you don't know a person well, that is going to be the first thing you judge them on. just a fact of life. if they don't like the judgments made based on something as easy to avoid as a tattoo, they shouldn't get one.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    MireyGal76 wrote: »

Sorry, I digress.

I'm sorry but where did anyone say that obese people don't have value? Just because I don't find someone beautiful doesn't mean I won't like their personality or that I find them worthless. Yikes. Talk about jumping to conclusions.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options

if you don't know a person well, that is going to be the first thing you judge them on. just a fact of life. if they don't like the judgments made based on something as easy to avoid as a tattoo, they shouldn't get one.

true. you can't avoid judging. And I mostly agree with you. I'm just going on about what the campaign is about.

Personally i don't mind being judged because i seldom fit what the person thinks of me, and it generally gives me an advantage, especially in my line of work. Granted there are negatives too.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I see this thread has now degenerated into a debate on how obese people really are just as healthy as the non obese...

LOL interesting...

not one person is saying that.

oh really? Then why a few pages back are people making claims about obese people being as healthy, if not healthier, than non obese????????????????????

I believe I made the claim of an ex-Olympian, who happens to be overweight and also happens to be healthy. No one is saying that obese people are just as healthy - just that some obese people are healthy.

There's a subtle difference.

In fact, at least some research shows has shown - (quoted above) - In the absence of negative health markers, obesity is apparently not as large a risk fact in and of itself.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    promoting health is not typically what models do. unless they work for shakeology or shape- or fitUstoday.com or whatever.

she's paid to sell what her manager books her gigs for and take pictures for an owner/marketer who wants her body type/face/style/image to represent their product.

That doesn't mean she loves her body.
    That doesn't mean she hates her body.

Those two things are not connected.

Personally- I think people need to understand that loving yourself is not an excuse to stay the same. You don't need self hate to want to change.

you don't need to hate yourself if you think you need to change. You can want to change- and pursue changes without hating yourself.

it's okay to love your body even when it's less than what you think is ideal- it doesn't have to be your be all end all self esteem like people make it out to be.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    So, wonder what else they plan with Token?
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    We must keep in mind, she is a "plus size" model. Plus size clothes are above a size 16. Typically, plus size models are an 8 to 12 and they pin the clothes tight in discreet places so they fit properly. My daughter, who is 5'10" and around a size 12 would be a "plus size" model (she's an actress and has gone to a few auditions/gigs). However, a size 12 on a medium to large framed woman that height is perfectly normal, not "plus size." So why not have a real plus size woman model plus size clothes and celebrate herself?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »
    We must keep in mind, she is a "plus size" model. Plus size clothes are above a size 16. Typically, plus size models are an 8 to 12 and they pin the clothes tight in discreet places so they fit properly. My daughter, who is 5'10" and around a size 12 would be a "plus size" model (she's an actress and has gone to a few auditions/gigs). However, a size 12 on a medium to large framed woman that height is perfectly normal, not "plus size." So why not have a real plus size woman model plus size clothes and celebrate herself?

I don't think most of us who don't like it are against the fact that she's modeling plus size clothes, but that she's so vocal about the fact that it's perfectly fine to be obese.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

I don't think most of us who don't like it are against the fact that she's modeling plus size clothes, but that she's so vocal about the fact that it's perfectly fine to be obese.
    Which to me it is fine.

If I were a cannibal and she were my feed cattle.
  • Aviva92
    Options

for regular sizes, the models don't accurately reflect the body of the average person either. why can't we celebrate average too? we should celebrate everyone. yay!
  • Aviva92
    Options
    we need body positive models for those of us who aren't obese or even overweight, but are kinda flat chested and have big thighs for our overall figure and hips that are too wide. where are these positive models for ME exactly?
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    glorified obesity. not good.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    If we diminish the stigma on being overweight, and celebrate people with unhealthy bodies, is that really helpful? I'm not suggesting shaming anyone, but rather refraining from glorifying an unhealthy condition.
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I think she's promoting a healthy lifestyle -- she works with a trainer 4 times a week. That's four times more than I work with a trainer.

Then there's that picture of her eating a corn dog. IIFYM!
  • Aviva92
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I think she's promoting a healthy lifestyle -- she works with a trainer 4 times a week. That's four times more than I work with a trainer.

Then there's that picture of her eating a corn dog. IIFYM!

her body tells me otherwise. she can claim whatever she wants. i'm gonna claim that i'm the queen of england.
This discussion has been closed.