Body Positive or Promoting an unhealthy lifestyle

Options

Replies

• bainsworth1a
    bainsworth1a Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    As far as the model is concerned I think she looks beautiful. I really don't care for tattoos so that bothers me more.
    What I do appreciate is that there are finally companies out there that have attractive clothes for larger sizes. I remember being an overweight kid and having to go to lane bryant in the chubbies section to get clothes. It was terrible having to wear things that made me feel like a little old lady.

No matter what size I am I want to look as good as I can.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    MireyGal76 wrote: »
    I think that there is a difference between feeling good about having a healthy, strong but imperfect/real body, vs. being defiant about being 100+ pounds overweight. The latter doesn't seem very psychologically healthy to me.

I don't understand why people think she is attractive--even if she got down to a more average weight, she doesn't have a unique or interesting look and her features aren't very nice.

If she were thin, nobody would look twice at her. Maybe that is why she is fighting so hard for this--she just wants the attention.

She is WAY too short to model--it is really quite silly, weight aside.

FALSE.

I looked twice at her, while she was overweight. And attractiveness is so much more than facial features. Confidence, that shine in a person's eyes.. that is where a lot of attraction comes from. And I DO believe that she is attractive, and if she were thin, she probably WOULD turn heads.

Hmmm...I find her extremely plain.

Yeah, we all find different things attractive. I think she's really pretty. Love her hair, tattoos, facial features, lips.
  • ladygi19
    ladygi19 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It's all good if you don't mind panting like a hound after a flight of stairs... I don't mean to sound harsh at all and this has nothing to do with her looks or her confidence. Being a size 20 is just bad for your heart... and the notion that someone size 20 is "as healthy" as lower weight women (barring other health factors) is just not true. I am not trying to trash her by any means... I need to lose weight myself, but I am also a realist.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    As far as the model is concerned I think she looks beautiful. I really don't care for tattoos so that bothers me more.
    What I do appreciate is that there are finally companies out there that have attractive clothes for larger sizes. I remember being an overweight kid and having to go to lane bryant in the chubbies section to get clothes. It was terrible having to wear things that made me feel like a little old lady.

No matter what size I am I want to look as good as I can.

This! My mom is overweight... her clothing options are basically mom jeans, oversized tshirts and hoodies. I guess cuz she's "fat", she should give up on life.

NOT.

And really, she isn't fat... but because she too is 6'1", her overweight is a small person's obese. :grumble:
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    ladygi19 wrote: »
    It's all good if you don't mind panting like a hound after a flight of stairs... I don't mean to sound harsh at all and this has nothing to do with her looks or her confidence. Being a size 20 is just bad for your heart... and the notion that someone size 20 is "as healthy" as lower weight women (barring other health factors) is just not true. I am not trying to trash her by any means... I need to lose weight myself, but I am also a realist.

I was a size 20 when I started this whole thing, and I assure you that I never panted like a dog.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

I was a size 20 when I started this whole thing, and I assure you that I never panted like a dog.

My sister in law was quite large when she started running. She didn't lose any weight, but she ran her first half marathon. And noone believed her... because she is quite large.

Appearances are deceptive. Never assume.
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    I have body image issues, but I find it condescending when any movement tries to get me to chant that I'm beautiful.

You don't have to convince beautiful people to chant that they are beautiful.

The whole self-esteem stuff just comes off as false to me, like giving everyone a sticker or a participation ribbon. Who showcases that on their mantel?

For me the whole self esteem stuff matters, because I'm raising two girls. I want them to know it's okay to think they are good at something, or smart, or kind - that it's not immodest or wrong to celebrate things you like about yourself. I don't want them to fall into the same self loathing trap loop that I did.

I do agree about the chanting stuff though. I don't think I'm beautiful (and I'm super okay with that), so being told I must think that makes me uncomfortable. But I hate to be bossed around ;)

Ugh… oh yes. I remember telling a couple of friends of mine that I started losing weight after I reached an overweight BMI and started feeling uncomfortable and the reply I gout was, "PFF who cares about the BMI? You should not worry about that. You can be overweight and beautiful!"

Thanks, but… beyond the point.
  • ladygi19
    Options

The expression was not ment literally... but it's factual that when you are heavy your heart rate rate goes up more even when doing less.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options

Yes. Isn't it offensive when people assume? I feel similarly when I read about sweating & chafing. WTF
  • ladygi19
    Options
    I ran a half marathon at 180 lbs... it can be done. It's all about pacing yourself. That did not make me as healthy as the ladies who ran it at 150lbs. My body was working harder then theirs was, at the same speeds. More blood needed to pump, pulling more weight... that is not saying that you can't be in better shape as an overweight runner, like I was then someone completely inactive but that would be comparing apples and oranges.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I have body image issues, but I find it condescending when any movement tries to get me to chant that I'm beautiful.

The whole self-esteem stuff just comes off as false to me, like giving everyone a sticker or a participation ribbon. Who showcases that on their mantel?

For me the whole self esteem stuff matters, because I'm raising two girls. I want them to know it's okay to think they are good at something, or smart, or kind - that it's not immodest or wrong to celebrate things you like about yourself. I don't want them to fall into the same self loathing trap loop that I did.

I do agree about the chanting stuff though. I don't think I'm beautiful (and I'm super okay with that), so being told I must think that makes me uncomfortable. But I hate to be bossed around ;)

A healthy self-image, sure. But encouraging boasting for sake of "self-esteem" seems to me to be something we tolerate and/or encourage from people who probably have a lot of legitimate reasons to not think too highly of themselves. Reasons such as, being overweight and out-of-shape, not taking good care of themselves, etc.

We don't like it when people with actual talents and enviable qualities boast about it. We expect them to be modest and hold back on expressing any thought that might even resemble that they have very high opinions of themselves.
    So encouraging certain people to do it seems to me to only be out of pity and because their boasts are not actually true and everyone knows it.

It's like the participation ribbon. Intended to help self-esteem but it might as well be the "You lose" ribbon. Only the losers get that ribbon and a condescending pat on the head.

• ladygi19
    Options
    Again I said I did not mean it literally, I certainly did not mean to offend anyone. However, I opinion is as valid as anyone elses...
  • dragonmaster69
    dragonmaster69 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Not a big fan of the title of this, but I understand you apologized in advance. I've seen other articles about fit moms with photos of their 6 packs, tanned skin, and white smiles that say "what's your excuse?" As some women might find that motivational, some won't. I've seen so many other mothers comment back with their own versions of their bodies with a caption that says "Because I'm okay with this." I'm a big fan of the phrase "don't worry about what I'm doing, worry about why you're worried about what I'm doing," and frankly if someone is imminent causing self-harm, I WILL BE CONCERNED, but if a person is okay with their weight/body size, I couldn't care less. When I first saw the article I focused more on her tattoos than I did her weight. I've also been on the receiving end of the "you're over weight, you're unhealthy" argument and it pisses me off profusely. I am over weight, but my over-all health is standard.
  • ladygi19
    Options

A healthy self-image, sure. But encouraging boasting for sake of "self-esteem" seems to me to be something we tolerate and/or encourage from people who probably have a lot of legitimate reasons to not think too highly of themselves. Reasons such as, being overweight and out-of-shape, not taking good care of themselves, etc.

We don't like it when people with actual talents and enviable qualities boast about it. We expect them to be modest and hold back on expressing any thought that might even resemble that they have very high opinions of themselves.
    So encouraging certain people to do it seems to me to only be out of pity and because their boasts are not actually true and everyone knows it.

It's like the participation ribbon. Intended to help self-esteem but it might as well be the "You lose" ribbon. Only the losers get that ribbon and a condescending pat on the head.

Reminds me of taking my nephew to soccer, where every kid on the team got a throphy... and the kids that actually got the most goals and such got the exact same one... I thought "wow" a lot has changed.
  • elleinaDanielle
    Options
    What always gets me is the assumption that being big = unhealthy lifestyle and being slim = healthy lifestyle. Not really the case. It is possible to be overweight and still be healthy. It is possible to be slim and be unhealthy.

THIS. We don't know her life.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    Some people are larger and have healthy lifestyles. Some people are smaller and have healthy lifestyles. Some people are larger and have unhealthy lifestyles. Some people are smaller and have unhealthy lifestyles.

Size is not the best indicator of health or healthy lifestyle.

To a certain extent.

Yup. I'm not sure you'd find a lot of morbidly obese people that are healthy overall.

Right. I had typed more but didn't want to start that thread here.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

Self esteem does not, in any way, equal boastfulness though.

Just because I know I'm smart doesn't mean I go around telling everyone that I am. It means I'm okay admitting so as it pertains to the conversation (as opposed to trying to deflect or minimize).

I don't expect anyone to be modest and I don't think talking about a talent you have (again, as it pertains to whatever conversation you're having) is a negative thing. I love watching people talk about things they are good at.

Boasting is talking with excessive pride. Just like anything else - in excess it's obnoxious. *shrug*

I don't like participation ribbons, but I don't think they are comparable to self esteem. Those contribute to an "everyone's a winner" mentality.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Some people are larger and have healthy lifestyles. Some people are smaller and have healthy lifestyles. Some people are larger and have unhealthy lifestyles. Some people are smaller and have unhealthy lifestyles.

Size is not the best indicator of health or healthy lifestyle.

To a certain extent.

Yup. I'm not sure you'd find a lot of morbidly obese people that are healthy overall.

Right. I had typed more but didn't want to start that thread here.

Except obesity is the single most important risk indicator for a variety of metabolic diseases. Individually, doesn't mean a thing.

As to her personal health, I don't care, it's her business. Kate Moss, don't care, her business. Neither properly falls into my esthetic cannon. (And that's my business.)

If she's selling a lifestyle, yeah, that is going to bother me. But it doesn't seem to be the case. If she's selling style, clothes, self acceptance - Good for her. Money in the bank.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I don't care what she does. :|
This discussion has been closed.