NO Veggies Diet? Would it work?

I just can't stand the taste of ANY vegetables, except "some" lettuce... I specially not like brocolli but I manage to add it in my daily intakes for the nutrients. Anyway, I thought I'd ask if anyone here have/had successful diet without any vegies consumption?

I love my rice or brown rice, corn, peppers (cooked) but any others, I just can't stand it. I have to put it really deep in my chicken so I can swallow 1 florette of brocolli. :( this is sad but true.

Replies

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    If you don't like broccoli, don't eat broccoli. There are way more vegetables than the three you mentioned. What about carrots? Potatoes? Tomato sauce?
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    edited January 2015
    "Healthier food enthusiasts" keep searching until they find a veggie they like. How about brussel sprouts cooked in bacon. Maybe a little hollandaise on that broccoli? Succotash - sauteed corn and red peppers with chipotle?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    While I agree that you don't have to eat anything you don't want to eat, I also think that as an adult, you need to figure out a way to like vegetables.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    I've lived my entire life on pretty much no veggies. I also just don't care to EAT them. But I do DRINK them. Your concern is probably, are you getting the vitamins and minerals you need from actual food, to be healthy? Its pretty easy and tasteless to throw some kale into a blueberry and pineapple smoothie.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    If you don't like it, don't eat it. For weight loss it's all about calories in vs. calories out.

Find foods you like and try and hit all your macros/micros for health. There's tons of other veggies out there.
  • oncem0re
    oncem0re Posts: 213 Member
    AliceDark wrote: »
    If you don't like broccoli, don't eat broccoli. There are way more vegetables than the three you mentioned. What about carrots? Potatoes? Tomato sauce?
    Potatoes is more of starch (high in carbs) so I do eat alot of potatoes and I know there are alot of vegetables but I just named a few....
  • LaineyVAhimsa
    LaineyVAhimsa Posts: 28 Member
    No lol, veggies have important vitamins and minerals if you went without for a long period you would become deficient and poorly. Try to chop finely and mix into dishes or with sauces :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Hornsby wrote: »
    While I agree that you don't have to eat anything you don't want to eat, I also think that as an adult, you need to figure out a way to like vegetables.

+1

You can absolutely lose weight without eating vegetables, but that's not particularly healthy. Lots of people don't learn to cook vegetables properly or try the wide variety out there.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    There's a rather large range of veggies with many different tastes/textures/nutritional profiles. You haven't tried them all yet. Also, they taste different when they're prepared differently. Roasted veggies are very different from raw, steamed, etc. There's no need to force yourself to eat things you hate...instead, try new things until you find the ones you can tolerate.
  • oncem0re
    sjaplo wrote: »
    "Healthier food enthusiasts" keep searching until they find a veggie they like. How about brussel sprouts cooked in bacon. Maybe a little hollandaise on that broccoli? Succotash - sauteed corn and red peppers with chipotle?
    hahahh thanks - like I said I do try to eat healthy and by that, it always means eating your veggies even if you really don't like it. I eat brocolli, carrots, peppers, onions, celery, asparagus, cauliflower, cucumber, salads, eggplants, okra... yeah I eat them because I have to - my body needs the nutrients from all these... but do I "want" to? No, I don't like vegetables and if I have a choice I wouldn't eat it at all. And when I say "choice" it means I just know we need to have these in our health...

I'm sorry I'm tired of people jumping the gun on this forum stating "you don't have to" or why you have a choice...etc... it's aggreviating to see those kind of comments. Because I woudn't have asked for alternatives .... if I think that I "don't" have to.... duh.

• ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    My friend at work drinks the V8 fruit fusion to get some veggies in. She is rather picky as well about them.
  • oncem0re
    Are you saying because I'm an adult, I should eat vegetables? so if I was a kid - I have a choice not to eat it?

• oncem0re
    I've lived my entire life on pretty much no veggies. I also just don't care to EAT them. But I do DRINK them. Your concern is probably, are you getting the vitamins and minerals you need from actual food, to be healthy? Its pretty easy and tasteless to throw some kale into a blueberry and pineapple smoothie.

Exactly - I dont think I will get enough vitamins and minerals by just eating potatoes, rice, corn and proteins... these are all starch, I know I need the fiber etc... which is greatly found from veggies which if I can choose would rather not eat. But I will try the smoothie part, I actually love smoothies and maybe throw some spinach in there. Thanks for the advise!
  • oncem0re
    jkwolly wrote: »
    If you don't like it, don't eat it. For weight loss it's all about calories in vs. calories out.

Find foods you like and try and hit all your macros/micros for health. There's tons of other veggies out there.

My mom LOVES vegetables so I know pretty much all we have out there and have tried most of them if not all. I don't like the texture of them, the smell and specially the taste. The only thing I can really eat would be lettuce because it doesn't taste like anything specially when it's on my burger.

I have tried them all from baked, broiled, steamed, boiled, Georgeforman grilled, charcoal grilled or just grill... I think it's more in my head than what it really is... just have to control the mind.!
  • Hornsby

oncem0re wrote: »
    sjaplo wrote: »
    hahahh thanks - like I said I do try to eat healthy and by that, it always means eating your veggies even if you really don't like it. I eat brocolli, carrots, peppers, onions, celery, asparagus, cauliflower, cucumber, salads, eggplants, okra... yeah I eat them because I have to - my body needs the nutrients from all these... but do I "want" to? No, I don't like vegetables and if I have a choice I wouldn't eat it at all. And when I say "choice" it means I just know we need to have these in our health...

I'm sorry I'm tired of people jumping the gun on this forum stating "you don't have to" or why you have a choice...etc... it's aggreviating to see those kind of comments. Because I woudn't have asked for alternatives .... if I think that I "don't" have to.... duh.

To be clear, you asked if anyone has been successful with eating a diet with no veggies. People have answered accordingly.
  • Hornsby
    oncem0re wrote: »
    Are you saying because I'm an adult, I should eat vegetables? so if I was a kid - I have a choice not to eat it?

If you think that's what I was saying then there may be no hope for you. I am saying that, as an adult, you have to do things you don't want to do. Eating veggies SHOULD be one of those. I can understand a child whining about not liking broccoli, but as an adult, no.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    The only thing that really DOES work for me is 10+ veggies a day. Not eating veggies means that you are missing out on vitamins, minerals, fiber, phytochemicals, antioxidants, etc. Besides the fact that eating veggies is good for weight loss and maintenance, you could be setting yourself up for cancer or intestinal issues in the long term by not including them in your diet.

Keep trying/retrying new veggies in different ways. I can't stand boiled vegetables (what I grew up with) but I love most veggies raw or roasted. Google "supertaster" and look at the veggies that supertasters have a hard time with...if those are the ones you hate the most, don't eat them...there are tons of other options.

What about going to the bookstore or library and looking at cookbooks for new ideas? Lately I've been really inspired by a chef named Ottolenghi--there are so many interesting, beautiful, creative things that can be done with vegetables. Don't settle for boiled broccoli!
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Vitamix. Drink your veggies by mixing them with various stuff. /problem
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited January 2015
    I have a nephew who was a very picky eater, especially when he was younger. What my sister-in-law did was tell him that he had to try one new food every week. It was okay not to like it, but he had to try it to find out. What he found out was that he actually liked a lot of things he'd been saying he didn't, just because he hadn't tried them or had tried them in one way he didn't like them.

Why don't you try an extension of this yourself? Go to the grocery store on your next trip and buy a veggie you have never tried or have only tried one way and didn't like. Do a little research and find at least three ways to serve it (raw, steamed, stir-fried, cooked in a dish, etc.) During that week's meals find a way to fit it in. Raw is easy, of course. I say this because vegetables change when you cook them and you might find that the nasty canned spinach your mom served you as a kid isn't the only way to eat it and fresh spinach is lovely as a wilted salad with bacon grease. Me? I love broccoli cooked and hate it raw (the texture), love cauliflower raw but hate it cooked and I'll eat carrots anyway you serve them to me.

Also, our tastes change and something you didn't like as a child you may like now. Adding veggies to fruit smoothies is another way to get them in.

There's also nothing wrong with covering them in cheese or sauce or dipping them in ranch if it helps. :)