Options

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Run_Fit wrote: »
    Quest Bars are awesome!

Fiber One high protein bars are too. I found some good ones from Trader Joes too.

Oh Yeah, has a new line of Victory bars that are pretty similar to Quest as well.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I have heard that eating too much protein can stall weight loss, even if you eat an appropriate amount of calories.

You are early. Carbs and sugar still stall weight loss. I don't think protein will until the 2020s.

More seriously, don't worry about it. There are reasons not to eat an insane amount of protein (120 grams isn't that high, it's what I eat, heh, although you might want more than 1200 calories), but calories are what matter for weight loss.
    Based on your posting history, I think this is tongue-in-check? :)

Look at the context. Fat was horrible before, sugar/carbs are the devil now, protein will get its day, but not yet...

OP, I definitely couldn't eat that many bars, mostly because it would cost a fortune. If you need quick foods, look at some other snacks as well that you can eat on the go. Hell, even an apple is easy to carry around. I also batch cook on the weekend and freeze individual portions (although I don't know if you have access to refrigeration or a microwave during the day).

All that said, the actual answer to your question is no, protein won't stall your loss. And you won't get bulky because you lift, so I'd look into a structured program. There are tons out there, but I went with stonglifts 5x5 since it's a relatively simple program to run.

Actually, I think protein is the original bad macro from way back. I remember reading books when I was much younger, probably written in the 70's, that warned of the dangers of over-consumption of protien. Body building culture has turned protein in a miracle macro but I'm sure the pendulum will swing again.
  • shereenie
    shereenie Posts: 2
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm no expert but isn't it more the lack of carbs than too much protein that can lead to a stall caused by increase in cortisol. Double check that you have a good balance at eatthismuch . c o m.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I have heard that eating too much protein can stall weight loss, even if you eat an appropriate amount of calories.

You are early. Carbs and sugar still stall weight loss. I don't think protein will until the 2020s.

More seriously, don't worry about it. There are reasons not to eat an insane amount of protein (120 grams isn't that high, it's what I eat, heh, although you might want more than 1200 calories), but calories are what matter for weight loss.

Look at the context. Fat was horrible before, sugar/carbs are the devil now, protein will get its day, but not yet...

OP, I definitely couldn't eat that many bars, mostly because it would cost a fortune. If you need quick foods, look at some other snacks as well that you can eat on the go. Hell, even an apple is easy to carry around. I also batch cook on the weekend and freeze individual portions (although I don't know if you have access to refrigeration or a microwave during the day).

All that said, the actual answer to your question is no, protein won't stall your loss. And you won't get bulky because you lift, so I'd look into a structured program. There are tons out there, but I went with stonglifts 5x5 since it's a relatively simple program to run.

Actually, I think protein is the original bad macro from way back. I remember reading books when I was much younger, probably written in the 70's, that warned of the dangers of over-consumption of protien. Body building culture has turned protein in a miracle macro but I'm sure the pendulum will swing again.

Protein is a big no no in the 80/10/10 circles, fortunately the media has not caught on yet. Or again.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

You got it. ;-)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Yeahhhh....sometimes it takes me a few reads to catch on. :smiley:

Wonder what it'll be tomorrow?
  • SLLRunner
    Options

You got it. ;-)
    :smiley:
    thumbs-up.jpg

• Wheelhouse15
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »

Protein is a big no no in the 80/10/10 circles, fortunately the media has not caught on yet. Or again.

I didn't realize they were anti-protein as well as anti-carb but I've never really looked into those keto variants.
  • SLLRunner
    edited January 2015
    Options

I like protein.

In fact, I like protein, carbs, and fat.

Salmon tonight, followed by chocolate chip cookie crisps from Whole Foods.
  • Laurend224
    Options
    I have heard that eating too Wwwmuch protein can stall weight loss, even if you eat an appropriate amount of calories.

I didn't realize they were anti-protein as well as anti-carb but I've never really looked into those keto variants.

80/10/10 as in 80% carbs.... mostly fruitarians. Or The China Study adherents.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Protein can be converted to carbs in a very inefficient process in the body (I'm pretty sure that's right; I've tried to block all biochem classes from my mind), but I do know that protein can stimulate insulin release, which is what keto people are trying to avoid.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have heard that eating too Wwwmuch protein can stall weight loss, even if you eat an appropriate amount of calories.

Ahh, I never get the order right, lol. So we are talking people like Freelee the banana girl here, now it makes sense!
  • hyperbeth1
    hyperbeth1 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It appears to me that your body is going through a plateau. You might need to change up your calories a bit (increase them up to 1350 for a few days) and change your workout up. Once your body gets used to this, drop it back down and see how you do.

You might find that your body might need the extra fuel.
  • Laurend224
    Options

Ahh, I never get the order right, lol. So we are talking people like Freelee the banana girl here, now it makes sense!

Yep. I wonder if it will ever be a 'thing' to the mainstream media. Can you picture freelee making it on the 6 o'clock news and anyone taking her seriously.

Oh wait, I did that diet. Gained weight. :s
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Yep. I wonder if it will ever be a 'thing' to the mainstream media. Can you picture freelee making it on the 6 o'clock news and anyone taking her seriously.

That might be scary but the frutarian diet has been around for a long time. I remember seeing it when I was a teen and it didn't make much sense then either. I remember the argument being that humans were frugivoires first then added vegitables and meats later. I'll just stick to eating everything. :)
  • Laurend224
    Options

That might be scary but the frutarian diet has been around for a long time. I remember seeing it when I was a teen and it didn't make much sense then either. I remember the argument being that humans were frugivoires first then added vegitables and meats later. I'll just stick to eating everything. :)

Lol, I'm still a vegan, but I make sure I get @80-100grams of protein a day. So much energy now! Who knew?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Lol, I'm still a vegan, but I make sure I get @80-100grams of protein a day. So much energy now! Who knew?

Everyone but the frutarians! ;)
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    I'd eat 10 quest bars a day if they fit into my calories and I could afford them!! I'm addicted to the chocolate brownie ones, so yummy!!

Have you tried the cookie dough ones? OMG to die for!
  • Laurend224
    Options

Everyone but the frutarians! ;)

They missed the boat big time! B)
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    My calorie limit is 1200 a day. If I eat 120g of protein and 1200 calories, would that mess up my weight loss?
    Actually, eating higher protein & lower carbs leads to more weight loss.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-08-09-high-protein-diet-685553
    Try 45% carbs, 20% fat, 35% protein to stay within the healthy macro ranges.
    Your suggestion of 1200 calories and 120g of protein would put you slightly above the healthy % of protein.

And why are you only eating 1200 calories? That's the _minimum_ a woman of average height needs to get the nutrition needed. How tall are you?
    I love protein bars and I enjoy eating sweets; I dislike most vegetables. So this works for me. The all natural, whole food diets just burn me out and I end up eating a ton of junk.
    So to avoid eating worse junk, you're eating junk? :confused:
    Eat real food, less processed is better.