Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• LizN63
    LizN63 Posts: 129 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Those look awesome! I had a bit of a leftovers one today, my rice (still rock hard, no idea why! I packed when hot, didn't pierce the film when reheating... :( ), prawns just with a chilli dipping sauce, some grapes, babybel and a veg gratin cup I found on Just Bento (http://justbento.com/handbook/recipes-sides-and-fillers/bento-filler-cherry-tomato-and-leftover-vegetable-gratin), that looked nice on the website but not in my bento! Tasted nice though.
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    @mangrothian Hope those dango turn out yummy. I have yet to try making any yet. ^_^

Now you guys just had to post that sale and I am tempted to buy a box at monbento. Shopping is fun.
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @pixiegoddess I'm assuming tilapia is a kind of fish? It's something I've never heard of. Then again, some of our fish here is probably odd to the rest of the world as well....
    Yeah, it's a freshwater fish and one of the cheapest to get here.

My bento today: onigiri, shrimp, edamame, and an apple. I think I need bigger bento boxes! :/ Or maybe pack it when I'm not so tired. I probably should've only done half as much apple and added something else in the top tier, but I was finishing packing a few bentos after dinner (and after margs!) and was just ready to go sit down.
    zqvvgjf16fmy.jpg
  • aSearch4Me
    aSearch4Me Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I like the sound of the seasoning you're using in your rice. Might have to give it a go methinks :)

Thanks @mangrothian . I'm a big fan of it. I guess I should say that there is also some seasoned rice wine vinegar in there, too. But it's very tasty with some wasabi & soy sauced tossed on it.

(of note: my last comment re: your post-gym bento box should have said "That looks great!" not "That looks heart!"...stupid autocorrect on my phone.)
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I've been very envious looking at these beautiful boxes, so I finally found the time to make one up for dinner at work. I don't know much about Japanese cooking, but I do know Mediterranean food, so that's the direction I took.

Lamb meatballs, spring green salad, quinoa, feta avocado, and blueberries for dessert.

1512410_953235671355739_3847398322915256841_n.jpg?oh=810185609abff6c3468cfb491f220cb5&oe=555218C2&__gda__=1433162684_079a1cf1b7cf3aa576b59022c60d6924
  • aSearch4Me
    Options
    @snugglesmacks I love the idea of a Mediterranean themed bento box. Looks great!
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @snugglesmacks I think bento is a style of food prep/packing rather than japanese food specifically. Feel free to make whatever flavors you like! I'm hoping to do a mexican themed one this week. Yay Taco Tuesday leftovers!
  • barbiegirlie2
    barbiegirlie2 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Man, now I want tacos...
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    @barbiegirlie2 don't get too excited, the chicken went bad, so no tacos today :'( but pizza :D , don't think i can bento-fy that.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    @barbiegirlie2 don't get too excited, the chicken went bad, so no tacos today :'( but pizza :D , don't think i can bento-fy that.

I smell a challenge....
  • aSearch4Me
    Options
    Mmmm... Deconstructed pizza bento? Or cold pizza cut into cute little shapes....Hmmmm. Lol

• aSearch4Me
    Options
    Wednesday's bento: krab, carrot chips, sliced mushroom, snow peas, blueberries, & peanut butter filled pretzels.

373 calories (59g carb, 10g fiber, 17g protein, 10g fat)

3y46mtr8rt3f.jpg
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    aSearch4Me wrote: »
    Mmmm... Deconstructed pizza bento? Or cold pizza cut into cute little shapes....Hmmmm. Lol

I'm more thinking round dumpling pastry with cherry tomatoes (or just some passata), bacon, basil, garlic, and a small amount of a light cheese of some kind.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    aSearch4Me wrote: »

I'm more thinking round dumpling pastry with cherry tomatoes (or just some passata), bacon, basil, garlic, and a small amount of a light cheese of some kind.

You could use pita, or eggplant slices, as the base. Or you could make pizza muffins with bits of biscuit dough in a muffin tin.
  • satansees
    satansees Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of those pizza puff wheels. Yum.
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    didn't attempt to bento-fy the leftovers. it was cheap, good only when it's hot pizza, so the dogs got the leftover slices. instead today, i have rice, sugar snap peas, edamame, shrimp and blueberries. forgot to get a picture before i closed it up, but it's not really different than the bentos i've been eating.

@snugglesmacks hadn't considered trying that! pizza muffins should bento easily :D
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    Today's bento: onigiri, edamame, boiled egg in the shape of an adorable bunny, halo orange, broccoli, cherry tomato, and mushrooms
    8x1rje4bnxnu.jpg

And I ordered some bigger bentos on Amazon yesterday. I think I'd rather have more volume of healthy foods than pack higher-calorie foods into the smaller bentos. So look for some cute new bentos (with bunnies!) next week!
  • satansees
    Options
    I wish I could see your bunny better, it's very white. I love shaped eggs!

Nothing tremendously exciting today, but I made said pizza wheels! (Not as small as expected, puff pastry puffs, who knew!). Raisins, cucumber, little rice cracker things, mango dip. Haven't done the maths yet, and I didn't use all the ingredients I'd weighed out, but I'm guessing for <400kcals?mm43l0cnnrur.jpg
  • aSearch4Me
    Options
    @satansees do you have a weblink for the recipe for those pizza puffs? It looks great!
  • satansees
    Options
    @aSearch4Me‌ sort of this http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1463/pizza-puff-pinwheels
    But no ham, less cheese, and too much sauce so half of its on the worktop hahahah. I cooked it a bit longer too. Green pesto ones are better imo. Also pastry is pretty calorie heavy, even the 'light' version, just be aware.