Protein ruining weight loss?

Options

Replies

• starrynight1929
    starrynight1929 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    I have heard that eating too much protein can stall weight loss, even if you eat an appropriate amount of calories.
    My calorie limit is 1200 a day. If I eat 120g of protein and 1200 calories, would that mess up my weight loss?
    Actually, eating higher protein & lower carbs leads to more weight loss.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-08-09-high-protein-diet-685553
    Try 45% carbs, 20% fat, 35% protein to stay within the healthy macro ranges.
    Your suggestion of 1200 calories and 120g of protein would put you slightly above the healthy % of protein.

And why are you only eating 1200 calories? That's the _minimum_ a woman of average height needs to get the nutrition needed. How tall are you?
    I love protein bars and I enjoy eating sweets; I dislike most vegetables. So this works for me. The all natural, whole food diets just burn me out and I end up eating a ton of junk.
    So to avoid eating worse junk, you're eating junk? :confused:
    Eat real food, less processed is better.

Yes, I am eating junk to avoid junk. But at least this junk has vitamins added and is high in protein and lower in sugar. It's better than 1/8th of a bakery sheet cake, or an entire large pizza. Which are things I have eaten, and end up eating when I go on a whole foods diet.. because I feel so deprived.

I had a hunch when I posted this that some people would be critical of my choice. That feels frustrating to me because the reason I eat protein bars is that they make my goals achievable. With protein bars, I don't feel the need to buy all the pizza and chocolate and cake. Would more veggies and whole foods be better? Definitely, for my health. But then I end up failing at my diet goals. And I am tired of failing.

It is not realistic to expect myself to eat a whole food diet. I have failed doing that over and over again... honestly, over a dozen times. Insanity= doing the same thing over and over expecting different results. Actually accepting that the whole foods diet isn't for me, was really hard for me to do. Cognitively, I realize it has so many health benefits... but it just does not work for me emotionally.

So, I found out what does work for me. I'm sorry that some people disagree with it.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    I have heard that eating too much protein can stall weight loss, even if you eat an appropriate amount of calories.
    My calorie limit is 1200 a day. If I eat 120g of protein and 1200 calories, would that mess up my weight loss?
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-08-09-high-protein-diet-685553
    Your suggestion of 1200 calories and 120g of protein would put you slightly above the healthy % of protein.

And why are you only eating 1200 calories? That's the _minimum_ a woman of average height needs to get the nutrition needed. How tall are you?
    I love protein bars and I enjoy eating sweets; I dislike most vegetables. So this works for me. The all natural, whole food diets just burn me out and I end up eating a ton of junk.

Yes, I am eating junk to avoid junk. But at least this junk has vitamins added and is high in protein and lower in sugar. It's better than 1/8th of a bakery sheet cake, or an entire large pizza. Which are things I have eaten, and end up eating when I go on a whole foods diet.. because I feel so deprived.

I had a hunch when I posted this that some people would be critical of my choice. That feels frustrating to me because the reason I eat protein bars is that they make my goals achievable. With protein bars, I don't feel the need to buy all the pizza and chocolate and cake. Would more veggies and whole foods be better? Definitely, for my health. But then I end up failing at my diet goals. And I am tired of failing.

It is not realistic to expect myself to eat a whole food diet. I have failed doing that over and over again... honestly, over a dozen times. Insanity= doing the same thing over and over expecting different results. Actually accepting that the whole foods diet isn't for me, was really hard for me to do. Cognitively, I realize it has so many health benefits... but it just does not work for me emotionally.

So, I found out what does work for me. I'm sorry that some people disagree with it.

Good luck to you on this, but I fear that you are on the wrong path when you rely on manufactured foods for the majority of your diet. You've failed before as you mentioned and I don't think you have figured out the real reasons that you have and because of this you aren't likely to find this time any different.

Sorry if I'm a downer on this but I think it's time you talked to a RD for professional diet planning. It might be the best option.

I wish you well.
  • starrynight1929
    starrynight1929 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    What do you mean, I won't find this time any different? I have never failed on a diet like this.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    tchell99 wrote: »
    one-pound Reeces bars.

Wait, whaa? I did not know these existed. Probably good I have never seen IRL. Drooool.

It IS good that you didn't know. I bought one (as a joke) for my hubby after Christmas on Clearance. IT was the best combo of PB/Chocolate ratio of anything we've ever had.

*may I never EVER see another one*
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    one-pound Reeces bars.

Wait, whaa? I did not know these existed. Probably good I have never seen IRL. Drooool.

It IS good that you didn't know. I bought one (as a joke) for my hubby after Christmas on Clearance. IT was the best combo of PB/Chocolate ratio of anything we've ever had.

Are they better than normal reeses? I bet they're...thicker. Mmm.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    What do you mean, I won't find this time any different? I have never failed on a diet like this.

Since you've never tried a diet like this it's really not a logical place to begin. You will regain because you haven't come to terms with your relationship to food and eating. This is why you have failed in the past, as you have stated, and bars are not a silver bullet so when you finally get tired of them what will you do? I'm not trying to give you a hard time but I think you need to understand why you struggle in the first place rather than trying to just lose weight on manufactured foods.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    one-pound Reeces bars.

They are thicker than your hand I would imagine.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    one-pound Reeces bars.

Mmm. I'm going to get reese's tomorrow. I was eating those Justin's organic cups but honestly, sometimes nothing beats reese's.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Never failed any time you've done this... How many times have you done this? if it's more than once...

Even if it's once...

Regardless, it looks no different than a slimfast type diet to me: shake for breakfast, shake for lunch, "reasonable dinner", "bar for breakfast, bar for lunch...."

To ME, that's not sustainable. I looked at days of your diet and can't see how this is going to work and lead to long term results.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    My coworkers should thank all of you. The Reese's talk made me crave gf chocolate/peanutbutter brownies. Of course it is too hard to make just one, so I baked an entire pan, took out 3 (age one and froze two) and gave the rest to my coworkers.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    one-pound Reeces bars.

Mmm. I'm going to get reese's tomorrow. I was eating those Justin's organic cups but honestly, sometimes nothing beats reese's.

Dude! Nothing but the real thing!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Never failed any time you've done this... How many times have you done this? if it's more than once...

Even if it's once...

Regardless, it looks no different than a slimfast type diet to me: shake for breakfast, shake for lunch, "reasonable dinner", "bar for breakfast, bar for lunch...."

To ME, that's not sustainable. I looked at days of your diet and can't see how this is going to work and lead to long term results.

You beat me to this post lol.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options

Why are you looking at this as a diet? You should be looking at this as the way you want to eat for the rest of your life. Before I started my healthier lifestyle I hated a lot of vegetables & rarely ever ate any. Now I like spaghetti squash, peas (ugh I used to detest peas so much), cauliflower (haven't tried the weird substitutions), broccoli, tomatoes, spinach (not cooked blech), raw carrots, & peppers.

The only vegetable I've tried that I will never eat again is Kale just because it just tastes like when you were a kid & ate a piece of grass.

Since you are essentially eating 1,200 calories (if I can remember) you want to eat as much food as possible to keep you satiated for as long as possible. It's fine to eat protein bars, but do they honestly keep you satiated for long stretches of time? I find when I am eating lower calories after eating a few high calorie days filling up on vegetables & some high protein like steak/chicken/fish will keep me satiated longer than food that's not nutrient dense will.
  • bccashleyiverson
    Options
    "Toned" is just another way to say building muscle...toning isn't really a thing. If you want to gain muscle you need to eat more, and there is no way that eating that much protein will stall your weight loss. Remember, food is fuel, and if you're working out you need to fuel your body. Even to lose weight you need to FUEL your body. If I were you I'd get my macros calculated so you know you're getting good balance of protein, fat, and carbs :)
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    80/10/10 as in 80% carbs.... mostly fruitarians. Or The China Study adherents.

Ahh, I never get the order right, lol. So we are talking people like Freelee the banana girl here, now it makes sense!

Yep. I wonder if it will ever be a 'thing' to the mainstream media. Can you picture freelee making it on the 6 o'clock news and anyone taking her seriously.

Oh wait, I did that diet. Gained weight. :s

80/10/10 - that was what I gained all my weight on (or more like 85/10/5 once I started getting very heavy) growing up. And you don't need to be crazy "China Study" or fruitarian to do that. Just be part of a family existing on a lower working class wage, a traditional British working class "men eat the meat, women eat the leftovers" mentality and a "don't eat anything with more than 5% fat" 1980's diet ethic. I was constantly starving so stuffed myself on pasta, rice, potatoes and white bread (which perpetuated the cycle...) A terrible, terrible diet.

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    hyperbeth1 wrote: »
    It appears to me that your body is going through a plateau. You might need to change up your calories a bit (increase them up to 1350 for a few days) and change your workout up. Once your body gets used to this, drop it back down and see how you do.

You might find that your body might need the extra fuel.

A plateau is another way of saying someone is eating at maintenance, in which case she needs to eat less, not more. :)

Chances are there is a miscalculation of calories.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Trading protein bars for cake and chocolate does not make sense to me. Why not put some protein rich foods in there, such as milk, Greek Yogurt, nuts, cottage cheese, and the list goes on. Veggies and fruits have protein too?
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Are you going to eat like that for the rest of your life?
    This, because eating that kind of diet is not sustainable for the rest of a person's life.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    My coworkers should thank all of you. The Reese's talk made me crave gf chocolate/peanutbutter brownies. Of course it is too hard to make just one, so I baked an entire pan, took out 3 (age one and froze two) and gave the rest to my coworkers.

I saw baking mix for those in Target last week. They look good. Might make some for my coworkers as well soon. They'd love them!