So how did you all fix your cravings for fast food?

Options
167891012»

Replies

• Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    MyM0wM0w wrote: »
    Ellaskat wrote: »

Umm, no, not everything is processed technically. If you eat all whole foods you cook yourself, you're not eating commercially processed foods.
    I'm sure someone pointed this out already but not true. The celery, potatoes, fresh tomatoes, beef, broth, turnips, carrots, and parsnips that I will put in my stew tonight are ALL processed. They picked the celery and bagged it. They cleaned off those potatoes by running them through a machine and bagged them. They picked those tomatoes turnips, carrots, and parnips and packaged them. They killed that steer, cut it up, and put it on Styrofoam for me (and I imagine did a few other things in between that I'd rather not consider). All PROCESSED.

Unless I shot that steer and butchered it myself and GREW all those vegetables and harvested them myself.... it's processed.

ETA:
    And first by the way, I do cook food from my own garden, or my root cellar, or my canned foods,

Pst...canned food - PROCESSED
    again - Reading is good. If you read my post, you will note i specifically state commercially processed. If you think the commercial processing of any food is the same as what you're doing at home, you're not very bright. But then you can't read, so uh, nevermind.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    lgutches wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    well this thread has taken an interesting turn ...

Probably from eating too much crap. :p

lol
    Processed crap!
    Can't we all just get along? Who wants a cookie?

Cookies are processed crap... :)

:cauliflowerforyou:
    Buffalo chicken cauli only plz.
  • VryIrishGirl76
    VryIrishGirl76 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I downsize to a kids meal if I really, really need it
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    There's two things I've done to help myself quit fast food.
    1- I told myself every day for three weeks that I would not eat processed or fast food of any kind. Then at the end of the three weeks, because I was successful, I went to Taco Bell and told myself that I could have a taco. Since I had had no processed or bad saturated fats in my diet, I was sick all night. That cured me instantly. No food that is healthy for my body should do that.
    2- I've developed a relationship with myself. And that relationship comes out of a place of love. I am my own best friend and first place mate. I'd never stand my boyfriend up on a date or do something to hurt him. I'd never tell my best friend that I am going to show up or feed her something that will make her feel bad. And so I apply that to myself. When I don't want to go to the gym, I say, "Hey, I said I was going to go to the gym. So I'm gonna go." And when I feel a craving coming on for fast food, I say, "Hey I promised that I was going to eat carrots instead of fries today, so I'm going to eat carrots!"

Honestly, my diet has become so clean over the past few years since I started MFP that when I get into bad bouts and eat fast food a lot, I can feel it coursing through me. I feel crappy, I sleep crappy, I'm grouchy. Eventually you will get there. A commitment to love yourself enough to quit feeding yourself the things you already don't want to eat is the first step. Being able to keep that commitment is difficult, but stumbling every once in a while isn't bad.

You can also make moderate changes to help with the problem. I happen to know that I'm more likely to eat fast food on weekdays, when I don't work out, when I'm tired, and because I get off work later than I'm supposed to. So I talked to my boss about what I'm trying to do and we worked out this: I work 8am-4pm. They count 30 minutes exercise time as work time, so I actually go home at 3:30pm. I eat my lunch at my desk while I work so I don't have to add in lunch time. That way, I get home earlier in the day and have time to relax, unwind, do errands, and cook a healthy meal. It's done wonders for me!
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Why are these goddamn threads the ones that get so many responses. Hey, is it possible to eat whatever I want AND have it fit in my calories? Could we debate the meaning of processed to a ridiculous degree?

Anyway, I have no life, so...
  • sheldonz42
    sheldonz42 Posts: 233 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    MyM0wM0w wrote: »

Umm, no, not everything is processed technically. If you eat all whole foods you cook yourself, you're not eating commercially processed foods.
    I'm sure someone pointed this out already but not true. The celery, potatoes, fresh tomatoes, beef, broth, turnips, carrots, and parsnips that I will put in my stew tonight are ALL processed. They picked the celery and bagged it. They cleaned off those potatoes by running them through a machine and bagged them. They picked those tomatoes turnips, carrots, and parnips and packaged them. They killed that steer, cut it up, and put it on Styrofoam for me (and I imagine did a few other things in between that I'd rather not consider). All PROCESSED.

Unless I shot that steer and butchered it myself and GREW all those vegetables and harvested them myself.... it's processed.

ETA:
    And first by the way, I do cook food from my own garden, or my root cellar, or my canned foods,

Pst...canned food - PROCESSED
    again - Reading is good. If you read my post, you will note i specifically state commercially processed. If you think the commercial processing of any food is the same as what you're doing at home, you're not very bright. But then you can't read, so uh, nevermind.

For the record, the following is the list of ingredients in Del Monte's Blue Lake® Cut Green Beans:

Green Beans, Water, Sea Salt

Sounds like some incredibly evil stuff as a result of "commercial processing" but I assume they don't have to list demons or imps as they have no calories.

ETA - I await the insults to my intelligence...
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I downsize to a kids meal if I really, really need it

I've done this too. Plus getting a toy is a nice added bonus haha
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    As long as you can fit it into your calories, I don't think there's anything wrong with indulging. My experience has been that as I've cut back on it quite a bit, I've seen better results as far as losing weight/inches, and that motivates me to cut back on it even more, if that makes sense.
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Whoa, nastiest thread I've seen in a while.

Anyway, on to the question:

OP, if you focus on "what you can't have", you probably won't last long-term. As you pointed out, restriction of foods you love leads to binging.

Feed the cravings. If you want a cheeseburger or fries, go ahead and have it. Log it and work it into your calories.

Over time, you'll find that sometimes you really want it, and you'll eat it. Sometimes you'll find that a substitute will do just as well, or that you're satisfied with a smaller portion (e.g. cheeseburger instead of Big Mac or just-the-fries instead of a whole meal).

And sometimes you may find that the food you used to "crave" is now just not appealing, as you eat it less frequently and get more used to lower-fat, lower-sugar, lower-salt food.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Wow, look! A thread about fast food that turned into a dumpster fire.

tumblr_myodk6ec811t59ouuo1_500.gif

Let's just go with this violation:

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic in an existing thread, and post new threads in the appropriate forum. Taking a thread off-topic is considered hi-jacking. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

Since I know there are people still catching up, this thread will remain up for awhile but may be deleted later.

And remember, all work and no play make Jack…..something something.

shining.gif
This discussion has been closed.